Dr. Arizona Robbins: Rainbows and Relationships and Crap

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

310 replies to this topic

Jenrin

Jenrin

Video Archivist

Posted May 31, 2013 @ 5:15 PM

It was only when Callie confronted her that she told the truth which is that she didn't trust Callie not to leave her.

Callie asked why she didn't even consider changing her mind on kids. Arizona's answer is that she wasn't ready to contemplate this idea for Callie because she wasn't yet sure of Callie's love and commitment. This doesn't mean Arizona was lying about not wanting kids. She didn't. At the end of the episode she explains why -- she thought she'd be a horrible mother (likely too selfish and Type A in her mind), but she realized that with Callie, she could do it because Callie would be a great mom. (Would love to see a bit of evidence of this...sigh.)

Not trusting someone is a good reason to break up, but it is shitty to even continue a relationship with someone when you don't trust her and you don't let her know.

Not really. I always looked at it as Arizona was a bit over her head with Callie. She fell hard and fast, admitted it, but also didn't want to go too fast. She 'wanted to stay in the sexy side of things.' Even after they got back together she was terrified Callie was going to propose or ask to have a baby and that wasn't something she was ready for. Moving in together was her speed. And then she blew it over Africa. 

For me, Africa was Arizona's complete and total wake up call that she NEEDED Callie and actually wanted a LIFE with her. She loved her before, but she was selfish and wasn't necessarily ready to make huge changes in her life that being in a committed relationship entailed. And it's not like Callie was perfect. Prior to Africa, she rebelled at painting HER apartment (rather than theirs), and not only did she feel the need to compete with Arizona for the million dollars, she tried to pysch her girlfriend out of giving her best presentation to Webber, which really wasn't cool. 

Callie intimated as much when she and Cristina took their awesome day at the mall. She was first seen sprawled across the bed all depressed and eagerly checking her phone to see if Arizona called.

I never got the impression that Callie called Arizona. She was the one who said, 'we are done.' Arizona was the one who had ditched her, so it was Arizona's role to be the person to reach out. And Arizona didn't until she ultimately did. But I don't think Callie emailed or called her either, she was just anxious to hear from Arizona and for it to all be a dream.

What would give Arizona the right to try to force her to talk to her when she never called her back or even asked about her until shewas ready to talk? 

Oh, Arizona was completely over-the-top in her pursuit. Personally, I loved it. It felt very in character. Arizona had her epiphany in Africa and so all of her Type A laser focus was directed at getting Callie back. She was willing to say anything and do anything to succeed. And...she did.  Honestly, I think it was the right approach with Callie. I think their relationship works the best when Arizona's in the more dominant and aggressive role. 

Arizona is a person with a mean streak.

Oh, absolutely agree. And I've always kind of liked that about her character. I love the combination of the perky and the mean streak. I hate the cheating. And I'm really interested in how Arizona's going to eventually figure out why she did what she did, because my impression of the finale is that she didn't honestly know. 

Folks are mad that she didn't apologize, but I'm okay with that because she can't apologize until she can feel it and I didn't get the sense that she felt much of anything in the finale other than intellectual horror at what she'd done. But it was all head and no heart. 

slc1822

slc1822

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 10:47 AM

Jenrin, I agree with you 100%.  As for what Arizona's consequences for leaving were?  How about Callie getting pregnant with Mark's child?  It was eventually something she came to terms with but we all witnessed it was an extremely rough road.  She also EVENTUALLY got her job back but when she returned, her job was conditional--she had to work for Dr. Stark.  I also think giving up your dream is a consequence.  She talked about helping kids in Africa being her dream from the very beginning. I never faulted Arizona for not telling Callie she applied for the fellowship since she did so before she met Callie and with no expectation of ever getting it.  The assumption, which we have to make since we never saw the reveal, is that Arizona told Callie once she found out she got the fellowship.  That seems perfectly reasonable.  

PrincessTT

PrincessTT

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 8:51 PM

I never faulted Arizona for not telling Callie she applied for the fellowship since she did so before she met Callie and with no expectation of ever getting it.  The assumption, which we have to make since we never saw the reveal, is that Arizona told Callie once she found out she got the fellowship.  That seems perfectly reasonable.  

Exactly, just as Ben didn't tell Bailey about applying to be a surgical intern in LA until he got accepted since they weren't together when he applied. Arizona did nothing wrong with regards to her fellowship application.

Clairelle876

Clairelle876

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:GA, Calzona, SVU.

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 1:06 AM

Yea its one of those things that just never came up... till it came up. If Callie was around during the application process then sure, but she wasn't. It is what it is. Its what happened after. You can see that Arizona heavily considered Callie and the future of their relationship with the news so that's a plus. I'm not going further than that storyline-wise (lol). I really don't want to rehash that stupid airport break up, it was so tacky. Couldn't they have written it so Arizona took it and have them struggle with a long distance relationship or something? I guess that would be boring and Arizona wouldn't be the girl that "bails" and Sophia wouldn't be born. Ah boy, there i go rehashing again... *exits convo*

cycworker

cycworker

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 1:11 AM

In 7x11 they made the solution so easy - "I'll just be the coordinator, oversee from here and visit every few months" that it was stupid. If it was that simple, they should've had Arizona come up with that plan to begin with and then created some misunderstanding or something that caused Callie to be devastated enough to sleep with Mark. Heck,they could've done the stupid 'presumed dead' trope and had it be grief sex. But that likely would've resulted in the audience feeling Callie cheated on Arizona, and back then the show didn't have the confidence to give them that particular issue to get through. So we're getting it now. 

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 3:57 AM

In 7x11 they made the solution so easy - "I'll just be the coordinator, oversee from here and visit every few months" that it was stupid. If it was that simple, they should've had Arizona come up with that plan to begin with and then created some misunderstanding or something that caused Callie to be devastated enough to sleep with Mark. Heck,they could've done the stupid 'presumed dead' trope and had it be grief sex. But that likely would've resulted in the audience feeling Callie cheated on Arizona, and back then the show didn't have the confidence to give them that particular issue to get through. So we're getting it now. 

I think Arizona actually wanted to go there herself, that was the point wasn't it? She had to make compromise in the regards to keep Callie.

PrincessTT

PrincessTT

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 4:09 AM

I think Arizona actually wanted to go there herself, that was the point wasn't it? She had to make compromise in the regards to keep Callie.

Yeah she wanted to go, it was her dream... It was only once she was there that she realised that she wanted to be with Callie more than she wanted to be in Africa.

Also, they couldn't really have done the long-distance relationship thing considering that Arizona declared that she doesn't believe in them back when Callie was considering a job elsewhere at the start of season 6.

lurker22

lurker22

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 7, 2013 @ 7:48 PM

Storywise, yes, I think Arizona wanted to go to Africa. It was her dream to provide top-notch medical serivces to the under-priviledged children in Third World countries. It wasn't her dream to run the program remotely, she wanted to be hands-on.

However, I think the real reason why the writers have Arizona go to Africa (besides JCap's maternity leave), was so they were already broken up when Callie slept with Mark. They had to make Callie the "wronged" party so that it becomes acceptable for her to sleep with Mark (Arizona left her in an airport, they weren't together, so it wasn't cheating). And so Sofia wasn't born out of cheating. The goal was always to create the modern family that Shonda and Sara loved so much, and still make it acceptable for the general audience. It would be too easy to dislike the family if it started from a big mistake.

nivea

nivea

Fanatic

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 3:23 AM

It did start from a big drunken mistake. The whole 'modern family' was ridiculous and Arizona accepting it require a suspension of disbelief.

lurker22

lurker22

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 8, 2013 @ 5:50 AM

It's not as big a mistake as it would be if Arizona were still in a relationship with Callie and Callie got pregnant with another man's baby, and Arizona accepting it. In many people's minds, the fact that Callie got dumped before she slept with another man and then got pregnant absolves her of any wrongdoing since she was technically single at that time.

Personally, Arizona staying and raising the baby as her own (regardless of the circumstances of Sofia's conception) requires a suspension of disbelief from me. And most definitely not when the father of the child is living right across the hallway and in my kitchen/workplace every morning, and still shares a close relationship with my partner.

Edited by lurker22, Jun 8, 2013 @ 5:53 AM.

Frankie5Angels

Frankie5Angels

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 17, 2013 @ 10:26 AM

Storywise, yes, I think Arizona wanted to go to Africa. It was her dream to provide top-notch medical serivces to the under-priviledged children in Third World countries. It wasn't her dream to run the program remotely, she wanted to be hands-on.

Didn't Arizona apply for that fellowship like two years before she and Callie got together? I thought she said she even forgot that she applied for it and it came out of the blue. I think Arizona, based on what she said, realized that her life had changed and the things she wanted had changed. She was single, not attached to anyone, living by herself, and wasn't building a future with someone when she applied for it. I can see how it would be hard to just flat out reject winning such a huge award and all the prestige that comes with it. I can also see not sticking it out if the person you want to spend your life with, the person with whom you discussed having children, and your girlfriend of (two? three?) years, isn't there.

I think this is a complete misrepresentation of what happened. Callie did not give Arizona any ultimata. It was Arizona who summarily and ruthlessly broke up with Callie. Callie was willing to go and try. Arizona dumped her right in the airport and declared, "We're already over." It is a fiction of a fiction to say that Callie, which seems designed to attack the character one dislikes, did anything to make Arizona change her mind. She never asked Arizona not to go. She never insisted that it was either their relationship or Arizona's accepting her grant. Anyone who wants to make such a case must come along with some dialogue or action demonstrating that anything close to Arizona making her decision to keep Callie. She discarded Callie. Remember: Callie did not lure her back from Malawi, she came back of her own volition. Callie never designed Arizona's compromise. Callie had no knowledge of it, nor was she consulted on Arizona showing up at her door to disrupt her life or efforts to move on. Callie told her repeatedly to go back to Malawi. Arizona could have called and asked Callie to come with her to Malawi and admitted that she did a crappy thing in the airport. But, she didn't.  Arizona did not want that. She wanted a life with Callie more than she wanted to live out her previous dream. People grow, people change, their priorities change, what they want from their lives change. Let's not strip Arizona of her agency. She made her choice. It is important not to conflate what one thinks Arizona should have done with what Arizona did do. 

Personally, Arizona staying and raising the baby as her own (regardless of the circumstances of Sofia's conception) requires a suspension of disbelief from me. And most definitely not when the father of the child is living right across the hallway and in my kitchen/workplace every morning, and still shares a close relationship with my partner.

I agree with this. There was something that still leaves a bad taste in my mouth about how Arizona accepted this and how Mark was part of their relationship. Had Arizona been a man, there is absolutely no way any writer would have put him in such a scenario. Had Callie been in a relationship with a man and he knocked up an ex-fuck buddy who was always in their home, lived across the hall, and had no respect for the boundaries of their relationship, there would be no way the character would have been written to accept this. No heterosexual couple would have survived this on any show. Proof? Lexie dumped Mark on the spot when she heard and she didn't even hate Callie, nor was Callie in their bed, home, kitchen, or up their asses all the time. The whole thing was homophobic, from their being a man propping up the same-sex relationship to Arizona even considering having Mark in their lives like that. I refuse to accept that as "progressive" story telling. It would be one thing if had been planned and agreed upon (I know a couple who have a baby with a gay male friend as the father), but that was not the case. Literally, Mark was the one to fulfill Callie's ultimate dream and it came in the form of Arizona's worst nightmare. In the interest of being tasteful, I will just say for Arizona's sake regarding Mark, I will go the way of Mark Twain: I've never wished a man dead, but I've read many obituaries with great satisfaction. It restored some of the character's dignity.