Nurse Jackie

• Please log in to reply

473 replies to this topic

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:14 PM

I read my post again, and what I intended to include, but omitted, was that I was surprised that the character of Jackie was deemed the most authentic of ALL the characters who are nurses on current shows. I didn't mean to imply that I was surprised about what is considered to be competent nursing skills.

OptimisticCynic

OptimisticCynic

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:17 PM

Merritt Weaver is so great as Zoe - she'll never get recognized for it - but she cracks me up each and every week. She hits the tone of that character perfectly.

Eve Best's facial expressions are hilarious in her interaction with Bobby Cannavale. I really want Jackie to stay sober - so far I think they've continued to make her interesting without relying too much on the drugs as a crutch -something I think House suffered from.

Edited by OptimisticCynic, May 6, 2012 @ 11:22 PM.

paradig_m

paradig_m

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:46 AM

That makes sense, Fleegull. And peachberserk, I didn't read your post as being surprised about those particular nursing qualities.

Merritt Weaver is so great as Zoe - she'll never get recognized for it - but she cracks me up each and every week. She hits the tone of that character perfectly.

She deserves a supporting Emmy nom. All of Zoey's little quirks and puppy-like exuberance and strange behavior and fidgety mannerisms and ingrained naivete--Merritt Wever is amazing! She plays Zoey in a way where one could easily believe that she's like that in real life, but I've seen her play darker and more subdued roles just as well.

Edited by paradig_m, May 7, 2012 @ 4:48 AM.

The Solution

The Solution

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:49 AM

Kevin still hasn't realized that Eddie manipulated him into being his friend. Even though Kevin beat him up (a little bit), he still hasn't realized what Eddie really did to him. He must not be very bright.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

Does Jackie realize Kevin is suing for full custody of the kids? Surely that was in the papers she was served. I was a little confused when she told Zoey she could sleep on the couch. She has the whole house to herself, why can't Zoey have Grace or Fiona's room? It made me think she expects them to be back home any time now. And I don't get why Zoey would want to crash on Jackie's couch instead of staying with her mom until she can find a place of her own. Then again, we haven't met Zoey's mom so maybe there's something going on there we don't know about yet.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:43 PM

she told Zoey she could sleep on the couch

Isn't that where the dead guy was the one time Zoey was in Jackie's house previously? That cracked me up.

I'd love to watch Zoey's happy pancake dance multiple times a day. Has anyone found a gif of it?

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:22 PM

"Pancakes for dinner. I didn't even know such a thing was possible." I love Zoey, and whoever writes for her.

The more I see of Bobby Cannavale in different roles, the hotter he seems to me here. He's aging really well, to boot.

JCScantling

JCScantling

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

Isn't that where the dead guy was the one time Zoey was in Jackie's house previously? That cracked me up.

The dead guy died on the floor.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

OK, I thought they had moved him to the couch, but I guess not.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 6:17 AM

The more I see of Bobby Cannavale in different roles, the hotter he seems to me here. He's aging really well, to boot.

And the kid who plays his son really looks like his son. So I thought, "Hey, excellent casting!" Then I saw another Cannavale in the end credits, and went "D'oh! No wonder the kid really looks like his son!"

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:23 AM

At least he's the right age to be playing his son. On Luck we got Dustin Hoffman's son playing his character's grandson. And the second the guy appeared on screen, I knew it was Hoffman's son.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:33 AM

One the one hand, having Zoey move in with Jackie is one of those only-on-sitcom contrivances. On the other hand, it's interesting to wonder how Jackie might fare living with somebody that actually likes and admires her without a veneer of lies? On the third hand, living with Jackie would realistically be a super-quick way for Zoey to cease liking and admiring Jackie. (Not that I'd know anything about learning to loathe a roommate, no sirree.)

fayster

fayster

Channel Surfer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 9:50 AM

One the one hand, having Zoey move in with Jackie is one of those only-on-sitcom contrivances. On the other hand, it's interesting to wonder how Jackie might fare living with somebody that actually likes and admires her without a veneer of lies? On the third hand, living with Jackie would realistically be a super-quick way for Zoey to cease liking and admiring Jackie. (Not that I'd know anything about learning to loathe a roommate, no sirree.)

I see what you're saying Attica but I'm hoping that Zoey can help soften the cynic in Jackie. She is able to ignore what Jackie wants her to be - less huggy, less dance-y - and be who she IS, glass-mostly-full, happy, hugger. Her dancing finally got Jackie to laugh at the end of the episode. She is the anti-Jackie: happy and honest-to-a-fault. I hope good things come from this. (And not like my college-junior-year-roommate who was so much fun until I moved in with her)

Nightmare Logic

Nightmare Logic

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 10:12 PM

Zoey's pancake dance is like the greatest thing I have ever seen on this show.

My money is on Charlie being dead before the season ends.

I thought maybe Cruz would be O'Hara's baby daddy for a little bit. Now I'm not so sure. I think he will either have a torrid affair with Jackie that will end with Charlie's death or with a Nurse riot.

Yes Zoey moving in with Jackie is typical Sitcom stuff but the show actually said as much through Zoey's own mouth, something about Laverne & Shirley so I kinda don't mind because the show is fully aware of what they are doing. I think Jackie kinda needs Zoey in her life someone who won't judge.....some who likes her for whatever the hell reason Zoey likes her.

Edited by Nightmare Logic, May 9, 2012 @ 10:15 PM.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 11:27 PM

Zoey admires Jackie so much and has a very high tolerance for Jackie's......well, everything.
Count me in as seeing Zoey having a positive impact.

I'm just hoping Charlie's likely demise doesn't send Jackie over the edge.

The show is sure making use of Falco's acting range this season. It's a little unnerving seeing Jackie so frazzled and insecure.

A Boston Gal

A Boston Gal

Couch Potato

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Ok, call me conventional, but I like the new scrubs.

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:50 PM

Zoey freaking out about the ring = funniest thing ever (on this show at least)

peachbeserk

peachbeserk

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 11:32 PM

I don't remember thinking that Bobby Cannavale was especially engaging and talented in any of the other shows I've seen him in. But, he is truly owning this role on Nurse Jackie. He doesn't seem so much like an interloper now as he did in the first episode he appeared in. I sort of hate seeing Akilitus relegated to a lesser position, but she's still full of her biting dry wit. I don't think I would mind if Bobby Cannavale was made a permanent cast member.

Zoey was such an over the top goof ball at first that I found her a tad annoying, and I think that was what we were supposed to feel along with her co-workers. But, it's clear now that her eternally sunny disposition is embraced by all - even occasionally by Jackie. Her happy go lucky attitude is needed to counteract the seriousness of Jackie's many problems. Zoey putzing around in her kimono with the sticks in her hair was just so much fun to watch.

Why did Eddie give up all the info about Jackie's specific drug use to Kevin? He surely had to know that it would come back to bite Jackie in the butt. I get that he felt used and abused, but he must have realized that he was helping to nail her coffin shut.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

he must have realized that he was helping to nail her coffin shut.

I suspect that Eddie wasn't thinking long-term consequences. He was only thinking 'how do I get this crazy dude (who can pound me) out of my pharmacy?' I find this totally believable.

I liked hearing Zoey talk about Grace's emotional issues, so we know she's surly with more than just Jackie.

I don't remember thinking that Bobby Cannavale was especially engaging and talented in any of the other shows I've seen him in.

May I recommend checking out the movie The Station Agent, if you haven't yet? This was the first vehicle where I thought, oh! talent!

Edited by attica finch, May 15, 2012 @ 9:47 AM.

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:51 AM

I love O'Hara and Coop together. Their scenes together are too funny. Listening to him trying to speak in a "British" accent to her belly was hilarious. What if O'Hara relaxed around Coop and began to let him be her baby daddy? I think they could work in a weird/unexpected way.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:00 AM

May I recommend checking out the movie The Station Agent, if you haven't yet? This was the first vehicle where I thought, oh! talent!

My of my fave all-time movies. Also my first exposure to the very wonderful Peter Dinklage (Tyrion Lannister of Game of Thrones).

I also loved Coop's interaction with O'Hara.
Zoey in her kimono was a hoot. She may turn out to be Jackie's best ally this season.

I don't see how Jackie can avoid losing custody of the kids now. Kevin's anger sure is working against her.

Do I sense a hook-up between Cruz and Jackie? And when will she become aware that Charlie is Cruz' son?

Bella

Bella

Couch Potato

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 2:22 AM

Do I sense a hook-up between Cruz and Jackie? And when will she become aware that Charlie is Cruz' son?

You would think between Cruz's talking about how one's kids can break your heart in a text message; Charlie stating that he likes to text his 'fuck yous' to others; and the fact that Charlie is the spitting image of Cruz would be enough to have Jackie put two and two together. I guess she has too much going on in her life right now to pay much attention.

3D23

3D23

Channel Surfer

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 8:58 AM

You would think between Cruz's talking about how one's kids can break your heart in a text message; Charlie stating that he likes to text his 'fuck yous' to others; and the fact that Charlie is the spitting image of Cruz would be enough to have Jackie put two and two together. I guess she has too much going on in her life right now to pay much attention.

I think the last portion of your statement answers the previous notions about 'how could she not see it?'

There are people that work together for decades and then find out they are long lost siblings, so I could see this being totally plausible. She has a looming divorce, seething hatred coming from one daughter, pyromania from another, and add to that fighting a drug addiction, work stress, Eddie, Zoe moving in; yes, she's preoccupied.

And while I knew that this kid is Bobby C.'s actual son, Writing distances each other in scenes enough that I don't know that without a heavy dose of TWOP and Sopranos (years ago) to teach me about heavy foreshadowing/flying anvils, I don't know how obvious it is to some out there in the viewing public. In fact, I would go so far as to say that when they actually showed CC/CCjr (Cruz-Cannavale) in their first shared scene, at that particular moment, A LOT of viewers heaved a sigh of OMFG. My 21 year old daughter who watches with me each week didn't see it coming until that episode. Afterwards I explained to her how you could see the set-ups leading up to that moment, but I let her get there on her own first, before intervening.

I really wish they would not throw Cruz into a contrived 'this type of management doesn't work, so you have to leave' story line, and it dissolves to being about his son that he leaves. I am not crazy about his son being disposable, either, although I do see that coming. He is a train wreck waiting for someone to reach out, but he chooses to surround himself with emotionally unavailable people, so the proverbial hand-writing seems to be on the wall. Even Jackie, who could theoretically help him, has too much in her own life to go past the nursing model of help (don't attach, be compassionate, get in, get out). She went so far as to leave a voice message about how she was a little squicked out by calling a 17 year old kid, and carried on a little too long about it, so she essentially told him that this is not a healthy relationship, and that she is trying to move on. So he knows that he can't really count on her and she is only using him to discuss sobriety.

I think that's one of the fatal flaws of Jackie Payton. She is a user that constantly seeks affirmation of her goodness and can't seem to break through that cycle to get where she thinks she wants to be. She hasn't owned who or what she is yet, so I see many more train wrecks in her future. Every relationship she has currently in her life is a diseased, user-based relationship, bar one. Zoey. I think that's the one relationship she is unable to manipulate and it drives her batshit.

Edited by 3D23, May 16, 2012 @ 8:58 AM.

attica finch

attica finch

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 10:41 AM

Every relationship she has currently in her life is a diseased, user-based relationship, bar one. Zoey.

Well, and the relationship with her patients. Those are pretty unconditional. That the contrast between what a good caregiver Jackie is professionally and how crap she is everywhere else is not a novel concept for a teevee show, it still is executed well here, in my view.

Also: I'm going to have to remember "Are those your real eyelashes?" next time I want to get a quick alliance with a stranger. I can't imagine it not working, even on a guy.

Milburn Stone

Milburn Stone

Fanatic

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I love O'Hara and Coop together.

Every time I see Coop--and I mean, like every time--I think I'm watching Scrubs. I liked Scrubs, but I don't need to see faux-Scrubs.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 12:37 PM

Ok, call me conventional, but I like the new scrubs.

I kind of do too! I have to agree with Cruz on this, everyone looks much more professional. I just don't know how they transitioned from all the nurses walking out on Coop when he tried to get them to wear them, to everyone agreeing to wear them all of a sudden.

Why did Eddie give up all the info about Jackie's specific drug use to Kevin? He surely had to know that it would come back to bite Jackie in the butt. I get that he felt used and abused, but he must have realized that he was helping to nail her coffin shut.

I think part of it is because Eddie really wanted to be friends with Kevin. I mean, he befriended Kevin at first just to get under Jackie's skin and get more involved with her life, but eventually I think he grew to appreciate Kevin's friendship. So on some level I think he still wanted to help Kevin, especially once Jackie told him she never really loved him and was always just using him for drugs.

I don't think it's all that clear-cut that Jackie would lose custody of the kids. I don't think Judges are eager to take two little girls away from their mother entirely unless the mother is horrifically unfit, and while Jackie has some dubious history dragging her down, the fact is that she's been to rehab and she's clean and sober now. She also holds down a well paying, full time job that's probably more impressive to a judge than a bartender. Both parents work full time, so in either case the kids are going to have to be in daycare sometimes. I think it's more likely a judge would award joint custody and require Jackie to do random drugs tests for the next year or something like that.

marsha

marsha

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 1:17 PM

I've watched this show since the first episode and have been an avid viewer. Edie Falco is one of the best actors working today and the supporting cast is, for the most part, stellar. But, I have to say, I'm finding this season rather unengaging.

I'm glad they finally "went there" with Jackie and had look at and try to deal with her addiction and even sent her to rehab (well, detox) but the way it's playing out (so far) has been really unsatisfying for me. I mean they had a great chance early on to have Laura Silverman as a "you may be able to fool everyone else but you ain't foolin' me, sister" counselor but (unless --fingers crossed-- it's going to happen later on) they dropped that. I like the connection with Cruz Jr. but that looks like it's heading for tragedy. I know that "12 Step" recovery isn't for everyone but without some real external help and all of the b.s. that is going on in her life it's some kind of "only in a sitcom" miracle that she isn't using.

Also, why have they turned Coop in a complete cartoon and why does it look like he is wearing major eye makeup? I find it very distracting looking at him in every scene he's in.

KWittman

KWittman

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2012 @ 7:12 PM

I love this show - as opposed to the Big C ... which I have stopped watching after they softballed Paul's death, lame .... but wanted to say that the best part about this show was watching Jackie spiral down and try to cope. She is very boring sober, although I do enjoy her interactions with O'Hara ... swapping the Chanel for the pill ... funny. And Zoe is off the charts funny. Dancing for pancakes!

However this show is missing the messy involving Jackie. She hasn't been over the fence out of control with anything, it's all just kind of chaos that results from an electrical short-circuit, things don't work and things blink, but no one really knows what's going on.

Maybe I am just not getting it in terms of what's supposed to be exciting. Patients from "Extreme ER" show up and leave as guest stars with no follow up. This show could be 60 minutes for all the stuff they throw in here. 30 minutes is not enough to deal with this material. Even freaking shameless could more easily be 30 minutes.

3D23

3D23

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 12:15 PM

I love this show - as opposed to the Big C ... which I have stopped watching after they softballed Paul's death, lame .... but wanted to say that the best part about this show was watching Jackie spiral down and try to cope. She is very boring sober, although I do enjoy her interactions with O'Hara ... swapping the Chanel for the pill ... funny. And Zoe is off the charts funny. Dancing for pancakes!

Agreed. Although i am still watching Big C in hopes that they get the message. SO much of it is getting forced. They are now delving into Susan Sarandon full-on flirting with Paul. GMAFB.

But with NJ, I don't really know what other way this could have gone. I definitely don't agree with Jackie being boring; I find her much less a stereotype being sober and navigating through what many of us take for granted as mundane. The blandness of life is escaping her right now due to the constant inner and outer conflicts that are constantly popping up for her like a bad driving test.

However this show is missing the messy involving Jackie. She hasn't been over the fence out of control with anything, it's all just kind of chaos that results from an electrical short-circuit, things don't work and things blink, but no one really knows what's going on.

Every damn time she turns around life holds another stunning surprise. The only part I find a little hard to swallow is her total refusal to take the oxy she keeps stumbling upon. But I think (there isn't much to judge the time passing on the show, how long are we suppose to think Cruz has been the GM of the hospital?) we are heading for a build-up to a relapse with the obvious anvil about to fall with CCjr, the impending divorce/full custody, and the myriad of other things falling apart around her. I think things are laying out now as a series of autonomous incidents, but very soon we will see the binding of them all, and the unraveling of Jackie's duck paddling method of coping. Right now I see her as a band-aid addict, and she will need to rip that off and undergo some serious analytical processes before she can truly begin to heal.

I don't think it's all that clear-cut that Jackie would lose custody of the kids. I don't think Judges are eager to take two little girls away from their mother entirely unless the mother is horrifically unfit, and while Jackie has some dubious history dragging her down, the fact is that she's been to rehab and she's clean and sober now. She also holds down a well paying, full time job that's probably more impressive to a judge than a bartender. Both parents work full time, so in either case the kids are going to have to be in daycare sometimes. I think it's more likely a judge would award joint custody and require Jackie to do random drugs tests for the next year or something like that.

ITA- There are far worse examples for mothers in this world. I think it's a vehicle for the storyline right now. I don't think she loses them, although, the vehicle may give her reason to relapse, and them of course, she would lose the girls. We'll see.

Well, and the relationship with her patients. Those are pretty unconditional. That the contrast between what a good caregiver Jackie is professionally and how crap she is everywhere else is not a novel concept for a teevee show, it still is executed well here, in my view.

Possibly, but I think to a certain extent, she uses them in a way, too. It's escapism, and she seems to be able to distract and detach from her own life so easily in the transition from person to nurse, that it's almost similar to using. But I might be reaching here, too. YMMV.

Also: I'm going to have to remember "Are those your real eyelashes?" next time I want to get a quick alliance with a stranger. I can't imagine it not working, even on a guy.

Most definitely! Making notes.

Also, why have they turned Coop in a complete cartoon and why does it look like he is wearing major eye makeup? I find it very distracting looking at him in every scene he's in.

I don't think Coop is behaving any differently than he was in the beginning a few seasons ago really. He always was kind of an aloof, clueless, pretentious cartoon to me. Love his character, and I always wind up laughing quite a bit. Especially with Coop-O'Hara interactions. Him stalking her unborn baby, and even going to the point of feigning a British accent is hilarious.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:09 PM

In a way, I can see how Zoey and Coop are cut from the same cloth - they're needy and sometimes annoying, but quite sincere in what they're saying and always seeking attention/reassurance. The difference is that Zoey seems like a genuinely nice person while Coop is the delusional frat boy who won't shut up about how awesome he is (and really believes his own hype). I wonder if the writers intended him to be a male version of Zoey. His character has always bugged the crap out of me, but ever since I read about his divorce from Jennie Garth and the way she found out about it, I loathe Coop. I don't blame O'Hara from swatting him away from her fetus every time he gets near her.

His obsession with her baby made me wonder if he was the father, so I was relieved when he had that conversation last week because it sounded like he's definitely not the baby daddy. Who did O'Hara sleep with at the end of last season? Or did she just go to dinner with Eddie one night? I can't remember.

I really feel for Charlie, but I am certain he is not long for this world so I'm preparing myself for him to OD, thereby crushing both Jackie and Cruz.