Nurse Jackie

• Please log in to reply

473 replies to this topic

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 4:15 AM

I have AT&T U-Verse and I'm not seeing episode 2 on On Demand. I wonder if it's cable company dependent.

Imonrey - that's my provider, and the first 3 episodes were up early the next morning. Curious.

xtraspecial2 your scenario would certainly create an interesting dynamic!

Isazouzi

Isazouzi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 5:34 AM

xtraspecial2 your scenario would certainly create an interesting dynamic!

Oh yeah, that would be so fucked up. But would
Spoiler
Somehow I doubt it.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:32 AM

Time Warner has the first three episodes on demand. I can't believe
Spoiler

wordperson

wordperson

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:10 AM

I think it's entirely possible that O'Hara used a sperm bank.

Also, on a different note -- in rehab they'd give you a Tylenol or some ibuprofen for actual pain from a physical injury. It's not like they want you forgo normal, legitmate medical options. Those aren't mind-altering drugs.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:17 AM

Also, on a different note -- in rehab they'd give you a Tylenol or some ibuprofen for actual pain from a physical injury. It's not like they want you forgo normal, legitmate medical options. Those aren't mind-altering drugs.

That seemed weird to me. I'm not sure Jackie has real back pain ala that fake x-ray but I don't see how if you do taking advil would be a crutch. The thing with pain killers is that people that have real pain also get addicted. What do those people do when they can't take narcotics anymore? For those in real, debilitating pain?

wordperson

wordperson

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:30 AM

redbudrose, that's what I mean. Maybe Jackie had real pain, maybe not, but Tylenol isn't addictive (or interesting in any recreational sense, for that matter). And for people who do have debilitating pain -- there are many such people -- there are pain clinics and doctors who will look for alternatives to narcotics and in some cases carefully administer narcotics but with intensive oversight to make sure they aren't abused. Sure, there are people who will get around it. That's the nature of addiction. In that respect, alcoholics are in much deeper trouble because unless they're in jail or somehow tied to a breathalyzer or monitor, there are no restrictions on their use.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

Is Eve Best pregnant in real life? I thought the actress was older than 41, but that's how old IMDB says she is.

I hadn't realized how much I missed these characters. I'm so happy to have Zoey back in my life.

Imonrey

Imonrey

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:59 AM

Imonrey - that's my provider, and the first 3 episodes were up early the next morning. Curious.

Yes, I have them now. Just watched episode 2 last night. Wow, the girl playing Grace is really maturing. Funny how kids do that! I didn't notice so much in the first episode, but I sure did when they showed her up close in the second.

Spoiler

That guy in emergency, with the girlfriend in puppy scrubs - in the first episode - what was he in for? I watched that episode twice, and didn't catch it either time. Drug overdose?

Edited by TWoP Howard, Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:52 PM.
Added spoiler tags

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

Braggtastic-

Spoiler

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 7:50 PM

Always liked the show, but last season did seem like a bit of wheel-spinning. Watched the season opener and I like how things have been shaken up a bit.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 8:51 PM

wordperson, I was agreeing with you and also thinking/typing out loud. It wasn't directly at you. I just meant, you confirmed what seemed weird to me.

wordperson

wordperson

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

same here, redbudrose -- thinking/typing out loud! And I knew you were agreeing that it was weird. I was just sort of elaborating -- I feel like they were giving what I thought was the wrong impression of professionals in the recovery business, most of whom are empathetic and wouldn't deny you an Advil for a backache, even though they are also good at being firm and delivering tough love.

It felt a little jarring because I do think that the show does a pretty good job of portraying the nature of addiction when it comes to Jackie.

Obviously this stuff touches a nerve with me .... I know people on all sides of the equation... addicts, families of addicts, recovery professionals.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:04 AM

Lol, it's always hard to know if what I'm typing reads like what I'm thinking. I don't know if they will go even talk about one way or another but I do know a lot of the people working in rehabs and with other addicts are addicts that are sober. I would think they would have some more empathy.

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:56 AM

I understand the above conversation about what pain medication a rehab patient is allowed to have, but Jackie had asked the woman at the front desk for some "light benzos or a Tylenol at least". Aren't "benzos" a reference to something specifically in the Xanax/Ativan/Valium family? It was clear to me that Jackie wasn't hiding the fact that she wanted something--anything--to help with the withdrawal symptoms.

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

Yep, those are benzos. They're typically used to ease the stress of withdrawal from narcotics. While I wasn't ever an addict, I was on morphine and fentanyl for seven years due to chronic pain after a nerve injury. I had an implant put in my spine to break the pain cycle, and I got off the meds. It was one of the most hellish things ever, and my doctors had me on 2mg ativan every 4 hours at first so I was totally out of it. I ended up in the psyche ward several days later, where the staff there were ruder than Laura Silverman's character. They tried convincing me I was just a drug addict and that there's no such thing as a simple dependency, despite the fact that I never had drug issues before. A lot of what we saw was true to life, at least from what I experienced. Having it be pulling teeth to get a tylenol or phenergan for nausea, strict rules like a prison, no caffeine, no phones, group. It was a nightmare.

Also, is Laura Silverman's character supposed to be a doctor or just a counselor or psychologist? Jackie wouldn't have been able to get benzos or tylenol from the front desk lady anyway, and unless her counselor is also an MD, she wouldn't be able to give meds. That shit is on lockdown.

Edited by Myndela, Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:57 PM.

wordperson

wordperson

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:30 PM

Good point, Myndela, the receptionist couldn't give her anything. And it was ridiculous for her to ask for benzos. I think that in early withdrawal/detox they'd have given her some relief if it were a good facility. They give librium to alcholics during withdrawal. And optiate addicts should be able to get suboxone. But your experience sounds horrific and I know that the quality of care varies. What I've seen has been a more empathetic response from caregivers.

And yes, you also make a good point that MD would have to prescribe the librium or suboxone, or whatever. A good facility would also consider whether you need antidepressents, which lots of addicts need.

The Laura Silverman character was believable to me only in that she was herself a recovering addict. My guess is that she needs a little more time in recovery herself before she starts counseling other people!

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 3:23 PM

Suboxone is more for maintainance and long-term treatment, but those first few days are hellish without the benzos. Jackie should have been prescribed Clonodine too, because that helps with the withdrawal symptoms as well. Clonodine, Phenergan/Zofran, anti-depressants. Even though Jackie took benzos, I think her main addiction was to the opiates, but she would take whatever she could get her hands on. As for me, I think it had more to do with being in an actual hospital psyche ward than a private rehab facility. I had a nurse every day that would put Nurse Ratchet to shame. I even sent a complaint to HR and the patient's representatives afterwards because of the cruel and unprofessional things she did. I don't mean to sound paranoid, but that woman was truly intentionally fucking with me.

I wonder how long Jackie will go before she relapses. It's not good for her to be in that environment, around all of the stress and drugs, while going through a likely divorce and custody situation, with only a couple weeks of rehab and sobriety under her belt. She has to crack at some point.

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:02 PM

I give her three episodes to stay clean or find something else to abuse.

Numb Nut

Numb Nut

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:34 PM

Just watched ep 3. I'm really loving how the effects of rehab/sobriety are playing out so far.
Spoiler
This season is gonna be awesome.

This is what season 3 should have been. It really seems like the writers regretted ending season 3 that way.

Was there a lot of wheel spinning in season 3? Maybe that's why I'm having trouble remembering plot details from that season.

Edited by Numb Nut, Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:35 PM.

quietquilts

quietquilts

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:19 AM

I've missed Zoey, Jackie, and O'Hara. They always make me laugh.

I give her three episodes to stay clean or find something else to abuse.

I can't imagine Jackie clean and sober. It boggles the mind.

Isazouzi

Isazouzi

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 4:17 AM

Episode 3

Spoiler

My thoughts exactly.
Spoiler

wordperson

wordperson

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:37 AM

I just have a question. The newest three episodes have aired. Why is everybody using spoiler tags -- for things that have been seen on the show? I don't want to disrespect the show and am willing to use them (though I've for some reason had trouble finding them on this forum). But isn't everything that's currently out there fair game for commentary?

Fisher King

Fisher King

Fanatic

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:02 AM

The second and third episodes have not technically aired. They're only available OnDemand and not all people have that. IMO, spoiler tags are necessary for those who haven't seen the yet-to-be-aired episodes.......and for those who wished to remain unspoiled.

Edited by Fisher King, Apr 12, 2012 @ 11:03 AM.

TWoP Howard

TWoP Howard

TWoP Moderator

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

Please donít bring up issues with the rules in a thread. It breaks the boards on boards rule since itís about the site rather than about the show. Read the Spoiler section of the FAQ if you have a question about what is or isnít a spoiler, and then contact a mod if you have further questions rather than derail the thread.

And yes, Fisher King is right. As the rule states, episode details are spoilers until the episode has aired on a network. Any episodes which are only available via OnDemand need to be discussed under spoiler bars until they have actually aired on Showtime. Note that general comments like "I didnít care for this episode at all," or "Edie was really extraordinary in Episode 2," donít need to have spoiler bars, because they arenít giving anything away about the plot. Thanks!

To use spoiler tags, click on the Other Styles button and then on Spoiler, and then insert text. Or highlight the text you want to hide behind spoiler bars, and then click Other Styles | Spoiler.

LMC28

LMC28

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

I had a thought - based on episode three -
Spoiler

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:58 AM

I like the idea floated above that O'Hara went to a sperm bank. I don't think Cruz was even around four months ago.

Foreshadowing in the third episode:
Spoiler

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:37 AM

LCM28-

Spoiler

redbudrose

redbudrose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 12:12 PM

Myndela-

Spoiler

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:44 PM

Spoiler

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

Myndela, that was my first thought too. I hope that means that he and Jackie stay in touch. I really liked him.