7-19: 2009.05.12 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

380 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

UNIVERSAL CITY, Calif. – May 7, 2009 – The winner of NBC's hit series "The Biggest Loser: Couples" will be revealed in an exciting, three-hour live finale on Tuesday, May 12 (8-11 p.m. ET). In the first part of the show, the third finalist – as determined by America's vote – will also be revealed. And America will get a chance to choose one of the new contestants for the next season of "The Biggest Loser."

For the season seven finale, all 22 contestants return for a special reunion and a chance to weigh in one last time – and to show America how much weight they've lost since the beginning of their weight-loss journeys. The transformations will be profound, not just for the finalists, but also for the eliminated contestants who all continued to lose weight after they left the "Biggest Loser" ranch and returned home.

In the most recent episode, which aired May 5, Tara Costa (New York, N.Y.) and Helen Phillips (Sterling Heights, Mich.) weighed in above the yellow line, securing their spots as two of the three finalists. Ron Morelli (South Lyon, Mich.) and his son, Mike, both fell below the yellow line, leaving viewers to choose between father and son to determine the third place finalist competing for the grand prize of $250,000. America's choice will be revealed in the first part of the finale on May 12, and the contestant who didn't get chosen will compete with the other 18 eliminated players for an "at home" prize of $100,000. Viewers voted by phone and online and the voting window is now over.

America will also get to select a contestant to compete on the next season of "The Biggest Loser," which will premiere in September. Viewers can choose between two potential contestants by casting their votes by phone and online at www.nbc.com, and the winner will be announced near the end of the live finale.

Then it's the moment viewers have been waiting for, when one of the three finalists will be named this season's "Biggest Loser" and win the coveted grand prize of $250,000!

Edited by TWoP Mars, May 12, 2009 @ 8:05 PM.

pixie721

pixie721

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 9:59 PM

Do you smell what Helen is cooking? Suck it, Ron. Just suck it. Your tears taste like candy. How does it feel to lose, puppetmaster? Still, you gotta love Mike.

Grimace looks like Grimace even in pink. Guess she wasn't the threat she thought she was. Why do they insist upon putting the women in shiny fabrics? Not flattering. I smell passive aggressive costumers. Since Cathy and her children all need to have the same hairstyle...
Do you think all of the sisters went blond, too?

Dan sounded different, and he looked so much better. I hope he keeps it off. My heart went out to him. I wish he could have taken the at-home prize, but if not Dan, I'm happy with Jerry.

BTW, must note that Laura, who was injured, managed to lose weight, while whiny old mean-girl Aubrey gained. Karma's a bitch. Schadenfreude on high.

Ali is definitely breast feeding. God damn!

YoureSoUrban

YoureSoUrban

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 10:00 PM

Helen?? To me, she's way too skinny. She must have done some sick things to get to 117.

Mike = Hot-tay. I wish he had won.

Dane can run 25 marathons and complete 50 triathalons. It doesn’t change the fact he cheated on the first one.

Nena

Nena

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 10:01 PM

Yay!

So did anyone catch Tara's full numbers? It looks like Mike would've been better off to keep Kristin around. She came in at 46.39%. For all that time they spent looking at how much people had left to lose, they should've paid a little attention to how fast they were losing it.

nilyank

nilyank

Fanatic

Wow. Congrats Helen.

Frost

Frost

Fanatic

I'm amazed. I told my mom Tara's win was a foregone conclusion. Did she end up 3rd?

Way to go Helen!

Quizzical1

Quizzical1

Fanatic

Holy! Shit! I did NOT see that coming! Damn! Quite an accomplishment for Helen! I was hoping for Tara or Mike, but it's fine that Helen won, too.

JourneytoIthaca

JourneytoIthaca

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 10:02 PM

Wow. Go Helen! I was rooting for Tara, but admit that I am pretty happy with Helen sneaking up from behind and grabbing it from everyone. Very satisfying.

renselaas

renselaas

Channel Surfer

Helen?? To me, she's way too skinny. She must have done some sick things to get to 117.

No kidding. She looked downright scary. Maybe she's been getting into Shanon's flour.

CRFTony

CRFTony

Couch Potato

Man, Helen and Jerry's wife both look about 15 years older than when the started the show. Scary, especially Jerry's wife.

miratime

miratime

Just Tuned In

Bummer. At least Tara still looked healthy.

I'm kind of surprised that TPTB allowed one of the first at-home weigh-ins to be the winner. I totally expected there to be an upset somewhere along the line and there just...wasn't.

Some of those folks could use a whole additional season on campus.

Tiger220

Tiger220

Fanatic

Season of the old people! Awesome!

But other than Helen, this was the most anticlimactic finale ever. For the at-home prize, for every person that came on after the first 4, with the exception of maybe Ron, as soon as they've walked on stage -- even before they were in their workout clothes -- it was obvious they weren't beating powerhouse 64-year-old Jerry.

It IS interesting to me though that both Ron and Mike were within a few pounds (less than 10, I think? I didn't record or pay THAT much attention) of winning their respective categories.

Oh, and of the next-season people, I'm SO GLAD Amanda is the one that made it through. In the brief time we saw Erinn, I could tell she'd be annoying the hell out of me.

Edited by Tiger220, May 12, 2009 @ 10:07 PM.

Quizzical1

Quizzical1

Fanatic

But Tara and Mike will have so much attention and success from their weight losses, they've really won also.

HurriKaty

HurriKaty

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

That.. that was awesome. NOBODY really thought that was coming, all season it was Tara vs Mike, Tara vs Mike, look at how great Tara is doing! And then blam, Helen out of nowhere at a slim trim anorexic 117 pounds. I wish Mike the best as he's an awesome kid, and I have Tara pegged as either gaining it all back or developing some kind of crazy eating disorder. Go Helen, winning one for the crazy 48 year olds everywhere. Does this make her the oldest winner ever? I'm so glad I didn't have to deal with Tara bawling about how she knew she had it inside and how much she loves herself.

And Aubrey gaining 3 pounds? Priceless. Kristen's hair was priceless but in more of a vomitty way.

Edited by HurriKaty, May 12, 2009 @ 10:03 PM.

Elvis J

Elvis J

Channel Surfer

Yuck, never a fan of Helen...would have been happier with either Mike or Tara winning.

cathyjoe

cathyjoe

Loyal Viewer

Yes, I guess you can be too thin. SCAREY!!! Helen..Jerry... eat a cookie!!!!!!

Invernessie

Invernessie

Loyal Viewer

Glad Ron's master plan failed, but hated to see Helen win. Helen looked way too thin - knew Tara had no chance. Looking at Tara's face before she weighed in, she knew it as well. Bet TPTB were not happy that Tara did not take it. Certainly Helen was a tough old broad and did amazing things, but she threw her daughter under the bus to get there.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Congrats to Helen, but I didn't realize how much I didn't want her to win until she did. I would have preferred Mike or Tara. Helen also looked too skinny IMO, but I know that's the norm for the finale.

Mike is a cutie. Damn.

milner

milner

Couch Potato

Way too much filler in the show, the same videos over and over to fill three hours.
Why do they pick satin dresses for the women?
Kristen's hair was ???
Helen looked bad, as you age wrinkles etc. really show if you are too thin.
Mike should have let his Dad be in the finals--he would have won the at home portion.
Alison looked great (and no satin for her)!

DianeNC

DianeNC

Channel Surfer

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 10:04 PM

That's three pink team winners in a row.

Huh.

Helen's face is way emaciated.

Lots of flapping arms.

It was all very anticlimactic.

livserge

livserge

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 10:04 PM

I totally called this while watching. When Helen weighed in at 117, I said, OHSHT, she won. She weighs less than me! (by a pound, but still.) And when Tara got up on the scale, and they came back from commercial and panned around from the back and I saw some of the weight still on the backs of her legs, I told my husband, "She is 140 lbs." I did rough math in my head and figured she needed to be 135 to win (the actual number was 133) and damned if she didn't weigh in at 139! (I need a booth in the carnival, because I guessed almost everyone's weight withing 5 lbs.)

But what a shock! That's the first time EVER that the person weighing in last did not win. Poor Tara though. The look on her face was just crushed.

Then I realized something else; we have the third pink team winner in a row. I joked at the beginning of the season that Shanon was the one to beat, since the pink team daughter had won seasons 5 and 6, and when she was eliminated, I totally filed that away, NEVER thinking that the other pink team member would have a chance. Wow!

And now my husband admits he wanted Helen to win. He never once said so, and he says it's because he didn't think she had a sliver of a chance. I was okay with anyone but Ron, so this is fine with me...but I still feel bad for Tara.

Tartlet

Tartlet

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 10:05 PM

I wonder if Tara can stick with the healthy lifestyle and exercise now that the competition is over and she lost. She seems like an "all or nothing" personality which may not adapt well to regular life.

Oh, and Helen and Jerry both look alarmingly thin.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Yippee! Two wins for the old folks.
I felt sorry for Jerry for having to stand there so long. He was a surprise win, at least to me.
I didn't see Ali or Michelle there. Did I miss them?

alenag74

alenag74

Channel Surfer

Oh NOOOOO!!! That's just NOT Right!! After EVERYTHING that Tara has accomplished on this show, there was NOBODY MORE DESERVING of the win! And at 5'9" 139lb is a great healthy weight! Helen at 5' 6" and 117lb is underweight, skin loosed and looking gaunt! Way to go starving yourself! I'm HIGHLY disappointed!

Mike is a cutie pie, though :)

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Here's the Wikipedia page with the final stats

http://en.wikipedia....oser:_Couples_2

miratime

miratime

Just Tuned In

Helen's dress was a little scary...I don't need to see your behind in that much detail. Really.

And did anyone else think that maybe Alison slipped a little bit when she was introducing Helen? "And now, introducing the new...Helen!" Sounded to me like she was about to say "new Biggest Loser."

Edited by miratime, May 12, 2009 @ 10:05 PM.

jamesonandwater

jamesonandwater

Channel Surfer

• Interests:I'm from Dublin, Ireland and live in Toronto, Canada.

What a frickin marathon of our own, but I'm delighted for Jerry (what a surprise, eh?) and for Helen, who I was definitely pulling for. She wiped the smiles off the younger pair's faces. Would have liked more of Jillian and Bob's commentary but I guess I knew the show would be painful. The bit with the Australians was particularly godawful and strained, and the Arizonan Tongans haka, and I don't understand why they thought we'd care about the two poor gals working out in the back. I actually felt bad for them.

I am so terrible at judging how much these people have lost. I didn't peg Mike or Kristen coming so close to winning. Great results though, well done Helen!

threemadness

threemadness

Just Tuned In

Posted May 12, 2009 @ 10:06 PM

I'm incredibly disappointed with Helen's win. She didn't even look healthy at that point and it seemed to age her as well.

At least Tara and Mike LOOKED good, Helen just looked like she hadn't eaten in weeks.

Cat Collector

Cat Collector

Fanatic

Raise your hand if you think Helen and Jerry both looked like shit. Both of them seem to have lost way more than a healthy amount, but congrats on the money, I guess. I really thought Mike had it in the bag when he first came out. A bit of a young Tom Cruise thing going on three. Yum.

I heart Daniel. I was so happy that he'd done so well. Really, really hope he continues.

The elephant in the room was Laura's medical condition. I was amazed that Alison didn't ask her about her hip but I guess they ignored it on purpose because they know they effed up and don't want to bring it up again.

Tara's makeup sucked. She tried too hard and was really shiny. I thought she did a better job with her makeup each week when she was on campus.

Kristin's hair!!!!!!!

rachelee

rachelee

Channel Surfer

When I saw Helen, I immediately thought: South Beach or Atkins. She looks like she lost her last few pounds very quickly. Way too thin. However, I was glad to see her daughter jumping up and down with her when she won. I was beginning to think they weren't on good terms since her daughter was nowhere in sight during the 30 days at home and the marathon run.

Way to go Jerry - talk about your dark horse!

And seriously, Mike is adorable. Oh to be 18 again.