Parenthood (2010)

• Please log in to reply

9628 replies to this topic

Danke

Danke

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 14, 2010 @ 5:10 AM

New Casting notices, another FNL actor coming to PH.

Friday Night Lights' Quarterback to Romance Parenthood Daughter

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Aug 14, 2010 @ 11:48 AM

Chain of Fools,you can catch all 13 episodes on Hulu, but only until Aug. 13th, I think. That's how I got caught up. My OnDemand only had the first 4.

Thanks terrilynn: Hulu has all 13 episodes through Monday. After that, they will only have 5 eps. available.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 18, 2010 @ 8:09 PM

From E!'s Spoiler Chat, here's more information on what Sarah will be up to next season.

Q: Any scoop on Parenthood? I love it.
A: Yes, in an upcoming episode of NBC's Parenthood, Bad Lorelai, er, Sarah Braverman (Lauren Graham) meddles in Drew's love life, an initiative which not surprisingly goes horribly wrong. Ahhh...remember way back when Lauren Graham was the model of the modern mama? Good times.

(Since the column is called "Spoiler Chat" I figured it should have spoiler bars)

And, a piece from TV Guide looks at who earns what on television. They put Lauren Graham's Parenthood salary at $150,000 USD per episode. I wonder how that compares with her co-stars? While that's no where near some of the top salaries for TV actors, it is on the high side compared to other new-ish shows according to the article. Personally, I think most of the cast is worth as much as they can get, and then some. But with such a large ensemble, if Graham's salary is typical, it's easy to see how costs on this show could add up pretty quickly.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Aug 19, 2010 @ 11:44 AM.

Danke

Danke

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 19, 2010 @ 3:36 AM

Hereīs new PH promo for 2nd season. With Julia and Joel. Funny one. Canīt wait for the new season.

Parenthood promo - 2nd season

ImNotLeesa - I read some comments that Peter Krause has a little less than Lauren and other PH actors noticebly less. But I canīt back up this info.

googs

googs

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2010 @ 7:02 AM

Personally, I think LG is worth every penny. I know the ratings for GG weren't stellar, but it's audience has only grown since it's been in syndication and on dvd. Many of the GG fans will follow LG anywhere so that's a built in audience she brings to the Parenthood. Plus she's awesome.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 19, 2010 @ 4:57 PM

Thanks for the info Danke. (That seems a little redundant :-) )

One of the people who visited the Parenthood set during the Summer TCA tour has posted photos up on flickr.
They have a whole TCA album, with shots from a lot of sessions. The Parenthood ones, including shots of the set and the cast, are toward the beginning. The photographer did a pretty good job, but apparently needed a little help with the "red eye reduction" feature on his camera.

Here's a better link to just the Parenthood shots.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Aug 19, 2010 @ 5:00 PM.

bellamn16

bellamn16

Stalker

Posted Aug 21, 2010 @ 7:52 PM

LG was paid only about $50k for her first several years on GG. If she's getting $150k for the amount of work she's doing now...wow, was she underpaid back then (relatively speaking)!

In regards to overall salaries, Lauren is going to make bigger bucks than most of the others because she's had more success: a seven-season acclaimed show and many large movie roles (with names like Streep, Keaton, Swank, Kinnear, Thornton...there are a lot of Oscar wins/nominations in that list). Even Peter Krause, with his success, can't quite match her resume. Lauren also had the upper hand in negotiations, since NBC was in a huge bind: they absolutely needed her, but she didn't need them.

To put the cost of Lauren in perspective...the "Friends" cast was making over $1 million/eppy each at the end. It would take 40 Lauren Graham salaries to make that much money. The PH ratings are much lower, I know, and the ad revenue is also far less, but I don't think they're hurting by paying 6-digits per eppy to - arguably - the name that gets them the most attention.

Edited by bellamn16, Aug 21, 2010 @ 9:54 PM.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2010 @ 2:57 PM

I don't think the Friends cast's salaries are a good comparison to give perspective to the Parenthood cast's salaries. They are apples and oranges. Yes, for the ratings reason you mentioned, but also because that $1M figured was, I think, after the 6 had renegotiated their salaries after the show had already become a huge success. Their starting salaries were much much lower (see below *) So the $1M Friends' salaries would be more of an apples to apples comparison with the current Greys Anatomy or Desperate Housewives or 2 1/2 Men salaries. (Plus there were only 6 people in the Friends main cast, and they by choice negotiated as a block vs. on an actor by actor basis.)

I think a better comparison would be The Good Wife cast's salaries. That's another 1 hour drama in its second year, with many cast members, and with a cast that is familiar to TV viewers from broadcast and cable TV. On that, Julianna Margulies is shown with a $175K salary (though she's the lead, and the titular character, so she'd probably command a higher rate for that.) Others that might make sense to use as a comparison could be Castle, Hawaii Five-O, Chuck, The Event, Outlaw, Body of Proof. All new or newish 1 hour dramas on the main 3 broadcast networks, with ratings OK enough for their networks to get renewed, or unknown. And for those, you have Zachary Levi from Chuck and Blair Underwood at the low end ($60K & $75K per episode), Alex O'Loughlin and Nathan Fillion in the middle ($100K), and Jimmy Smits and Dana Delany at the high end ($150K).

So, Graham's salary does seem to be on the high end of salaries for newish 1 hour broadcast shows that are not ratings smashes. Not saying she's not worth it or doesn't deserve it, it's just interesting to note. Especially since there have been a couple of comments in interviews (with Jason Katims and others) about how they're working hard to minimize production costs whereever they can, given the size of the cast, Katims history with low rated shows on NBC, NBC's struggle to rebuild its audience, etc.

* Here are some details on the Friends cast's salary histories:

In their original contracts for the first season, each cast member was paid $22,500 per episode.[19] The cast members received different salaries in the second season, beginning from the $20,000 range to $40,000 per episode.[19][20] Prior to their salary negotiations for the third season, the cast decided to enter collective negotiations, despite Warner Bros. preference for individual deals.[21] The actors were given the salary of the least paid cast member, meaning Aniston and Schwimmer had their salaries reduced. The stars were paid, per episode, $75,000 in the third season, $85,000 in the fourth, $100,000 in the fifth, and $125,000 in the sixth season.[22] The cast members received salaries of $750,000 per episode in the seventh and eight seasons, and $1 million per episode in the ninth and tenth.[11] The cast also received syndication royalties beginning with the fifth season.[20]

Oh, and here's another article about the TCA set visit and interviews. It talks a bit about Crosby's boat and the other sets, as well as the improvisational style of the show that folks were talking about in the old forum:

Graham sees "Parenthood" growing over time.

"I think it's complicated, and what I love about our show is that I don't feel it's stereotypical," she said. "Each of these people is getting more and more specific and layered and very real, and there's a kind of texture that I had not experienced before — it just feels loose and alive and authentic."

That feeling is what Katims hopes for.

"I like to leave room for improvisation," he said. "The beauty of doing a television show is that it's a continuing dialogue. You write something. You put the script out there. Then you see what comes back in the editing room, and I want to be able to respond to that so I don't have tunnel vision about what the stories are going to be. We definitely have ideas, but I also keep myself open to changing those ideas as we go."

The more improvisation, the better for Shepard.

"The only downside of having so many story lines going at once is there's not a lot of wiggle room to just have scenes with us screwing around, which I think we'd all love," he said.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Aug 22, 2010 @ 4:15 PM.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Aug 23, 2010 @ 1:33 PM

I know Fox has a history of way underpaying their talent, since they often get young unknowns who become famous on their airwaves (see original 90210 cast). But I think Matthew Morrison is making $30,000/episode for his second season of Glee. When I think of all the rehearsing, singing, dancing etc that goes into his role vs Lauren Graham, it seems crazy that he makes in five episodes what she makes in one.

googs

googs

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2010 @ 2:55 PM

It is hard work for them, but I can't feel too bad. I'd sing and dance my butt off if I got paid $660,000 for 9ish months of work. If the show retains it's popularity MM (and the rest of the cast) will probably be able to double if not triple their salaries. If it doesn't, MM has still gained tons of fame so his asking price would be much higher for any future projects. I don't think Fox is underpaying them at all. That's the way it works in tv. I'm sure most unknowns in any cast are just happy to be able to make a living from acting. Most actors aren't able to do that.

Parenthood has quite a few well known actors. If they can deliver an audience I guess they're worth the money. I hope it keeps up (and maybe improves) upon it's ratings. The show gets lots of press and good reviews, so fingers crossed!

Edited by googs, Aug 23, 2010 @ 2:59 PM.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Aug 23, 2010 @ 8:53 PM

What surprises me the most about this show is that there isn't one gay or lesbian character in the entire family. With a family as large as the Braverman's there would have to be at least one gay or lesbian family member. Maybe they have this story in the pipeline so I guess its a wait and see thing.

googs

googs

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2010 @ 5:52 AM

I don't think every show needs to go there. I have a big family and AFAIK none of them are gay, unless you count people we've "adopted" (as in such close friends that they're practically family) into our family. Got a couple of those.

Edited by googs, Aug 24, 2010 @ 5:52 AM.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2010 @ 7:15 AM

Yeah, I agree with googs. And I'm in the same situation...big family, none are gay AFIAK, though there are friends and in-laws who are.

Especially after hearing stories of a sophomore series on another network adding a gay character, seemingly solely because of pressure the network has gotten to be more diverse, so they can point to the show and say "Look, here's one! We've got one.", I don't want to see Parenthood add any characters just to tick off a box on some arbitrary diversity checklist. Not to mention there's already a boatload of people on this show as it is...so I'm not sure they need more people in the regular cast.

Maybe as the show goes on, and we meet more Braverman friends and extended family members, a gay character will show up. And if so, I would hope that would just be part of who the character is, and not have the show treat the introduction of the character like an after-school special, or something worthy of a press release.

Redtracer

Redtracer

Fanatic

Posted Aug 24, 2010 @ 7:44 AM

I'm with ImNotLeesa. While I wouldn't have a problem with a character being gay, I'd be more concerned about the screen time issue. Every week, I always wish we saw more of a certain character, and just throwing another person into the mix would make it even more difficult.

My second season wishlist includes seeing Joel not act like a total douche.

bellamn16

bellamn16

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2010 @ 7:41 PM

When I think of all the rehearsing, singing, dancing etc that goes into his role vs Lauren Graham, it seems crazy that he makes in five episodes what she makes in one.

And when I think of the 75 pages of lines (far more than a normal drama) that Lauren had to memorize for $50k/show for the first 3-5 years of GG...it seems crazy that it took her 225 pages of dialogue to make what she's making now. I'd say she's overdue to get paid...even if it's by the wrong show.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2010 @ 9:00 PM

A couple of Parenthood Season 2 Promos:

Here's one The return of The Fever and The Robot.
And another: Cute Lauren Graham face at the end.

And some comments on actors' pay rates:

The unfortunate thing about all of this is that TV shows don't pay actors by line delivered, or by hours spent preparing a role or rehearsing for a scene, or even by how much enjoyment they bring the audience.

Actors/performers/reality personalities are paid how much the producers think they should pay them, enough to get them to show up, but still not too much that the producers don't make a profit. Enough to get them to show up, but not more than someone else will pay them to get them to show up. (Peter Krause once upon a time played a character on Sports Night who had a lovely little bit of dialogue on this subject...I could link to it or quote it if anyone's interested).

So, Snooki or The Situation or Charlie Sheen wind up taking home a lot more than Lauren Graham or Peter Krause or Jon Hamm or Elizabeth Mitchell or whatever other actor we, the fans, may appreciate or find moving or whatever.

It's all business. And it's all about the strength of someone's negotiating position at the time a contract is done, and the skill of the performer's agent and the production company's lawyer. That, I think, is why you get things like the Friends' cast negotiating together to try to get the best deal they can. (Otherwise, the production company might have played the leads off each other to squeeze one out (saving money) or negotiate them down (also saving money)) That's why, personally, if Parenthood ever takes off, I'd hope the principal cast bands together and negotiates as a unit to get the best deal possible. Because a) I like all the principal cast and b) this show, more than others, really depends on the ensemble.

Plus, when you think about it, the amount of $ any principal cast member on a tv show gets paid is WA-A-Y more than most other actors get paid. For anything. In any medium. So, while I may wish Lauren Graham or someone else get paid more per page then they are paid, compared to what most stage, tv, screen actors get paid per page of dialogue, she's doing pretty well. I'm sure the SAG or other Actors Guild websites could provide more detail on that for anyone who is interested.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Aug 25, 2010 @ 9:08 PM.

bellamn16

bellamn16

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

it's all about the strength of someone's negotiating position at the time a contract is done

And this is why Lauren made bank (relatively speaking). NBC had a production emergency on their hands: Tierney out due to medical emergency and Hunt out as her replacement after a deal falls through. LG already had a working relationship with the network (a 7-figure production deal that went nowhere because of the writers' strike). Lauren wasn't looking for a TV role, and was, in fact, content with taking some time off. That gave her a TON of negotiating power, even if she wanted in on the project.

if Parenthood ever takes off, I'd hope the principal cast bands together and negotiates as a unit to get the best deal possible.

That'd be great, but Friends was an exception to negotiating protocol and didn't seem to change the system much. If there's an example of a drama negotiating this way, I'd love to know! Is it realistic, though, with a principal cast that ranges from underaged kids to established TV/film actors (like Graham, Bedelia, and Nelson)?

So, while I may wish Lauren Graham or someone else get paid more per page then they are paid, compared to what most stage, tv, screen actors get paid per page of dialogue, she's doing pretty well. I'm sure the SAG or other Actors Guild websites could provide more detail on that for anyone who is interested.

You're absolutely right. It's a situation where you can accurately compare apples to apples, but the oranges (not-famous actors) are also present. Fame and entertainment is just such a different beast from other careers. While, from a financial standpoint, most of us would ask why $1 million is so much worse than $5 million...ultimately salary is the only valued rank in most celebrity-based industries (actor, musician, athlete, doesn't matter)...and everybody wants to be on top. I certainly wouldn't scoff at $50k/episode...but if you're looking for respect in an industry, you'd hope to get paid relative to your peers (or in this case, your own self) for an equal amount of work.

Side note...my Friends comparison was meant to be extreme; to show that LG's salary isn't breaking the bank, not to say that all actors should get paid closer to the same rate as those in (arguably) the most successful scripted comedy in decades.

Edited by bellamn16, Aug 25, 2010 @ 10:48 PM.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 25, 2010 @ 10:57 PM

Hunt out as her replacement after a deal falls through

I know I've said it before, but let me just say again how happy I am that Helen Hunt did not become attached to this project. I loved Mad About You, but every thing I've seen of her since was just too strident and angst-ridden or "look-at-me"-ish to let me think that she could have brought something good to this project*. When I heard she was being considered, it just made my skin crawl a bit...and if I had been more invested, it would have made me break out in hives. (When I heard about the project, Maury Tierney = YAY, Lauren Graham = YAY, Helen Hunt = Huh? Um..Ick?, Um, I guess I'll try to deal with her in that role. )

Bellam16, If the show took off, I'd like to at least see the principal cast (children aside) try to negotiate together (Graham, Krause, Potter, Shepard, Christensen, Bedelia, Nelson, Whitman) (I think that's all of them, anyway...Heizer, Jaegar, Bryant, Ramos, Bucholder or whatever his name is, I think, are on a different level in the cast)

But, barring that, if right now we're worried that folks don't appreciate the Parenthood cast for what they can do (and the Emmys and Tubeys give us fodder for that) here's an example of someone appreciating the Parenthood cast, or at least them in their previous projects: EW is running off their list of great Emmy snubs, including Lauren Graham for Gilmore Girls and Sports Night in general, including Peter Krause, I presume.

*There is a whole theory about why Helen Hunt would not have been a good replacement for Maura Tierney when she dropped out, and why Lauren Graham was a good fit to step in. If you want more info on that, let me know, and I'll post links. ( here's a link from Sepinwall's old blog...between that post, and the comments attached, you'll get the idea. Lauren Graham was supposedly attached to some ABC project at the time, which is why she didn't show up more as a suggestion to replace Maura Tierney.)

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Aug 25, 2010 @ 11:16 PM.

bellamn16

bellamn16

Stalker

Posted Aug 25, 2010 @ 11:09 PM

EW is running off their list of great Emmy snubs, including Lauren Graham for Gilmore Girls and Sports Night in general, including Peter Krause, I presume.

That I definitely agree with (especially the bold part)...the show just blended the genres too much to give her a clear-cut shot. I think Felicity Huffman deserved a nod for SN...and ABC should have given that show the chance that NBC has given 30 Rock: to stay on the air and try to slowly earn viewers.

I don't think that PH necessarily got snubbed this year. A 13-episode partial season is a much shorter body of work than another 22-episode rookie show, not to mention all the dramas that have been established for years that are also competing in the categories.

I do fear though, that in the long run, the larger cast is going to hurt the actors' hopes for nominations. It's much harder to get a good Emmy reel together when you're sharing screen time with a dozen (albeit great) fellow actors. I bet LG had as many lines in an episode or two of GG as she did in 13 episodes of PH...everybody's doing a great job with the screen time they have...but nobody's getting the chance to steal a scene for him or herself.

Edited by bellamn16, Aug 25, 2010 @ 11:11 PM.

Danke

Danke

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 3:00 AM

Lauren Graham was supposedly attached to some ABC project at the time, which is why she didn't show up more as a suggestion to replace Maura Tierney.)

She did a pilot for ABC, yes, but it was a year before the Maura replacement and the pilot didnīt get picked up in May 2009. She was free from June (when Guys and Dolls ended on Broadway) till the PH deal in October, so that couldnīt be the reason.

And I canīt see Erika Christensen or Dax ever to get paid the same as Lauren and Peter, since apparently they are getting half of the amount now. I like them both but they are not in the same league.

And here are two more promos. Pretty funny.

Parenthood Promo - Julia&Joel
Parenthood Promo - Sarah and the Bravermans

Edited by Danke, Aug 26, 2010 @ 3:01 AM.

bellamn16

bellamn16

Stalker

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 9:04 AM

And I canīt see Erika Christensen or Dax ever to get paid the same as Lauren and Peter

That's kind of my sentiment. And again, to bring it back to Friends, that entire cast came into the show at the same level: relative unknown at the bottom of the TV totem pole (with the exception of Courteney Cox, who was a few inches above the rest). It was easy for them to say, "we're in this together and we're going to rise through the TV ranks together."

On PH, you've got actors who have carried their own shows in Graham, Nelson, and Krause, actors who have carried movies in Bedelia...actors who have been working since they were three in Whitman...and actors who have some credits, but nothing major or headlining on their resume. To expect them all go into a negotiation together and be able to come out on the same level would be pretty unrealistic.

Re: Helen Hunt...I'm a big fan. BUT, she's a rarity, in that her funny, crazy Jamie Buchmann was the exception to the types of roles she gets. Other than that, all her roles are serious. Because we know that Tierney's role as Sarah was going to be more serious than silly, I assume Helen Hunt would have also been driven in that direction (if not further). The second it was announced that Lauren was interested, I was so excited! I knew they'd take advantage of her comedic timing to throw some quirks into the character, which would lighten up the whole show. While I don't know what it would have been like with one of the other two ladies, I'm loving it with Lauren.

Edited by bellamn16, Aug 26, 2010 @ 9:07 AM.

gaffagirl

gaffagirl

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 11:02 AM

Having seen (and loved) Rude Awakening back in the 90s, I think Sherilyn Fenn could have been a good option... but I think for a number of reasons, Lauren Graham was the right choice. I don't dislike Helen Hunt, but I just can't see that working as well.

I'm looking forward to what they do now that they have a full season! Fingers crossed...

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 11:14 AM

Nice to see a the Season 2 promos starting up. It would be nice to see some more press, too.

On PH, you've got actors who have carried their own shows in Graham, Nelson, and Krause, actors who have carried movies in Bedelia...actors who have been working since they were three in Whitman...and actors who have some credits, but nothing major or headlining on their resume. To expect them all go into a negotiation together and be able to come out on the same level would be pretty unrealistic.

You're right. I guess I wasn't completely clear...I never figured they'd all get the same salary, just that by working together as a block they'd keep the network/production company from squeezing one out or playing one off the other. But even that would be pretty unrealistic IRL.

ETA:

Aww, no...Erika Christensen got fugged, again.

Edited by ImNotLeesa, Aug 26, 2010 @ 9:37 PM.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 9:20 PM

What happened with Tierney that caused her to leave?

MrWhyt

MrWhyt

Fanatic

Posted Aug 26, 2010 @ 9:38 PM

What happened with Tierney that caused her to leave?

Treatment for breast? cancer

Danke

Danke

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 6:20 PM

Lauren will be presenting at Emmys this Sunday.

ImNotLeesa

ImNotLeesa

Fanatic

Posted Aug 27, 2010 @ 6:58 PM

Yay! It's fun to see Parenthood cast members all dressed up. (Hopefully she'll fare better than Erika Christensen.)

Also, via Spoilertv.com, here's info on NBC's press release about the first episode of the new season.

No spoiler bars, since it's, well, from an NBC press release, plus most of the info has already been announced:

"PARENTHOOD"

"I HEAR YOU, I SEE YOU"

09/14/2010 (10:00PM - 11:00PM) (Tuesday) : ADAM HAS HIS HANDS FULL WITH WORK AND FAMILY NEEDS, AND SARAH STRUGGLES TO FIND THE RIGHT CAREER PATH -- WILLIAM BALDWIN ("Dirty Sexy Money") AND MINKA KELLY ("Friday Night Lights") GUEST STAR - In the season two premiere Adam (Peter Krause) is overwhelmed by family needs and increasing demands at work from boss Gordon Flint (guest star William Baldwin). Zeek (Craig T. Nelson) is overly confident in his "fix-it" skills as he tries to repair a leak in the barn and Joel (Sam Jaeger) is enlisted by the family to help. Elsewhere, Sarah (Lauren Graham) tries to find her place in the world as Crosby (Dax Shepard) prepares for a visit from Jasmine (Joy Bryant) and Jabbar (Tyree Brown). Meanwhile, Kristina (Monica Potter) tries to teach Haddie (Sarah Ramos) how to drive and, along with behavioral aide Gaby (guest star Minka Kelly), help their son Max (Max Burkholder) through a crisis. Bonnie Bedelia, Erika Christensen, Miles Heizer, Savannah Paige Rae and Mae Whitman also star.

I do like the fact that they are having Joel do something that can draw on his experience as a contractor. And it will be interesting to see the dynamic between him and Zeek in that situation.

cookie jar

cookie jar

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 29, 2010 @ 3:40 PM

Sorry if it's been posted before but Monica Potter will be on Craig Ferguson on September 8.

Danke

Danke

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2010 @ 6:17 AM

New cute promo

Bouncing off the walls

MrsJeter

MrsJeter

Couch Potato

Posted Aug 30, 2010 @ 4:42 PM

Does anyone have any idea is Asher Book (Steve) is going to be appearing on the show next season? I know that the way he and Amber got together wasn't ideal, but was the season finale essentially the end of them?

Edited by MrsJeter, Aug 30, 2010 @ 7:25 PM.