Fringe Q&A: Does Gene Ever Get Any Lines?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

170 replies to this topic

Unspoiled

Unspoiled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 26, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

Thanks again! :)

MissPutter

MissPutter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 12:43 AM

Hi All~

I'm a newbie, loving the show, and so glad I found this site. You guys are so perceptive! Thanks for filling me in on things I missed! I do have a question that I haven't seen addressed. William Bell was from the Blue Universe, living in the Red Universe, correct? Where is the William Bell from the Red Universe, then?

Thanks, in advance!

CheerAngel

CheerAngel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 1:03 AM

Over There part 2 stated that Red!Bell died as a young man in an accident and never met Walternate.

MissPutter

MissPutter

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 14, 2012 @ 7:50 AM

Thanks, CheerAngel, I (obviously) missed that.

NorthTexas

NorthTexas

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 28, 2012 @ 3:25 PM

Just wondering; if the whole "Mr.X" storyline came to be because Peter let him out of the airship in Blue Olivia's mind, does this now mean that none of this applies because well, Peter didn't go inside of this Olivia's mind. She simply has her memories but not her physical life experiences, like that of William Bell inhabiting her body.

Fat Elvis 007

Fat Elvis 007

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 4:42 PM

So, when exactly was it explained that the Observers had "tech in their heads" that gave them their Observery powers? As far as I can remember, they have been portrayed as inherently having these abilities due to their evolution. Was this a thing before last night's episode, or was it just introduced? I like the idea of Peter using this tech on himself, but it seems weird if this was just retconned.

lizw65

lizw65

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

It was at the of Season Four that the Rebecca Madsen character explained that their "powers" were primarily tech; we also saw some of this earlier in that season with the character who glommed onto September's dropped device and used it to kill people. An Origin Story is the first episode to show that they have a subcutaneous implant, but it doesn't exactly come out of nowhere (nor is it a retcon, as it doesn't contradict prior canon information.)

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 4:48 PM

"Tech" has been mentioned as being what gives the Observers their mojo, yes.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Nov 3, 2012 @ 4:50 PM

They've always had tech. They were associated with the Beacon as early as 1x04, "The Arrival". But as far as having it explicitly explained, look to 4x11 "Making Angels" and 4x22, "Brave New World, pt2".

From 4x22:
Jessica: "They can operate at hyper-attenuated time. To us, it almost looks like magic. It's not, though. It's just tech that essentially lets them move very, very fast."

ETA: Heh, beat to the draw. Talk about hyper-attenuated time!

Edited by CorwinOfAmber, Nov 3, 2012 @ 4:53 PM.

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 9:27 AM

When was the first time that Walter knew that Olivia was the Olivia that he'd done tests on as a child? I know we see hints from the very beginning that he remembers what happened to Peter, but I can't remember if there were hints that he remembered his past relationship with Olivia too.

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 12:47 PM

I don't recall any hints about Walter and Olivia except when prompted by Olivia confronting him, which started in "Bad Dreams" and continued when she raked him over the coals at the end of "The Road Not Taken."

Interesting question... I will watch some of those later Season 1 episodes again because I don't remember exactly how the secret of Olivia being a cortexiphan child came to light.

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Mar 3, 2013 @ 3:19 PM

I think you're right, I've been rewatcing a bit too and I think there's nothing until "Bad Dreams". I was thinking about it because of the Astrid's name thing. I was thinking Walter never mixes up Peter's name which makes sense because that's his son, and he doesn't forget Olivia's name which I was thinking was because he's known Olivia almost as long as he's known Peter. But if he doesn't even remember being in Jacksonville then maybe there's no special reason why he doesn't forget Olivia's name. Or maybe his subconscious somehow remembers her and she seems familiar to him. Or, of course, maybe he remembers her but he doesn't let on and tries to keep it a secret, but his reaction in "The Road Not Taken" doesn't really support that...he seems genuinely, overwhelmingly confused and frustrated.

It seems pretty weird to me that he remembers what happened to Peter but he doesn't remember all the time he spent trying to get Olivia to cross over so she could get Peter home (as seen in "Subject 13"), but I guess that's just a case of the writers not knowing what lay ahead of them or not being able to tie later episodes back to the beginning as well as they do at other times.

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted Mar 10, 2013 @ 12:54 PM

Walter's memory is always fragmented, and they documented the primary reason in "Grey Matters". The brain surgery targeted Walter's knowledge of crossing to the other side. How much else was affected is uncertain. It's possible that his knowledge that Peter was not his own was damaged, until September took him to his boy's grave in "There's More Than One of Everything". I tend to take at face value that Walter was telling the truth as he knew it when he talked to Peter about the accident at the lake ("The Arrival") and his childhood illness ("Safe"). This only applies to season 1. But that doesn't mean his memory has been fully restored. I also take at face value his confession in "Peter", that he was as unwilling as his wife to return Peter to his home universe. Between the brain damage, drug therapies at St. Claire's and his own self-delusion, he simply may have forgotten the efforts to return him shown in "Subject 13".

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Mar 12, 2013 @ 10:04 AM

That's really interesting. I never thought of it that way, but you're right...that's why September brings along the half dollar when he takes Walter to the lake house/cemetery...to jog his memory, so to speak.

You know what just popped in my head as an interesting scene that never was? Peter, the one we know and love, going to visit "his" grave. Josh could have knocked a scene like that out of the park. *sigh* Some shows have to scramble to find all kinds of crazy action to fill the time, but Fringe was great because it went deep into emotions and motivations and relationships...so much so that even now there are so many things dug up and exposed but still left waiting to be explored. I guess that's why, months later, I'm still thinking about all these things.

jophan

jophan

Fanatic

• Interests:needlework, science fiction, mysteries

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 4:52 PM

Yes, I had thoughts about Peter visiting the gravesite, too. I also had an idea that, when he was ready to reconnect with Walter, he might suggest moving Elizabeth to beside her son (or vice versa).

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 4:41 AM

That would be sweet.

Here's a new question that just popped into my head...How did they manage to find so many cool, graffiti-filled areas for this show? I was just watching The Firefly, and Peter chases September to a place with really neat graffiti at the end. Then there was Olivia's showdown with Shapeshifter!Charlie, the typewriter room, and countless other places. Is there really that much graffiti in Vancouver? I've never been up there. Do you think they were drawn to using graffiti as a background because it has a kind of 'comic book look' to it?

I always marvel at how "pretty" Fringe is. They really always did a great job with the look of the show and the angles of the shots and stuff like that.

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2013 @ 6:48 AM

I was never sure if the graffiti was added or part of the location...

Another thing that sort of blew my mind was how Fringe sometimes used green screen (SFX) for stuff that seemed fairly ordinary. For instance, in "6B" when they were at the apartment checking out the balcony that the people fell from, you'd think they were looking out an actual building with double doors to a balcony, right? Nope, it was a set and the view out the doors to the buildings across the street was a green screen.

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 2:51 AM

Oh interesting. Yeah, when I watch Fringe I never think about the special effects...which is a sign of very well done special effects.

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 8:21 AM

The alley where Olivia killed shapeshifter Charlie is a real alley in Vancouver... we all called it Van Gogh Alley, but I'm not sure what the locals call it. It is AMAZING... much more graffiti than you actually see in the show, and on both sides of the alley, too. Some incredible art, and more added all the time. From August to November last year, there were several new 'works' added or enhanced.

The Rosencrantz Apartments was a real building, too. It was across the street from a park that was used in multiple location shoots, and the bathroom where Peter kicks the stall door is also in that park. The building was real, but the balconies were cgi. There was another building, right around the corner I think, that was used for some of the Rosencrantz interiors.

I'll try to find some of my photos from the TFE trip - we had great tour guides and went all over Vancouver, saw lots of iconic Fringe locations.

fedorafadares

fedorafadares

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 10:00 PM

It's incredible that that alley's real, Dixie! I remember analyzing and speculating about every last image on the wall: VanGogh, the yellow brick road, even what looked like an image of Sam Weiss! (hahaha) My imagination was apparently working overtime, whch was the beauty of the show, I guess. Thank you for this.

DixieGirl

DixieGirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 8:06 AM

Oh, you should see it for real. The art is just incredible, different styles, subjects... on the opposite side from Van Gogh, there's a HUGE First Nations image in blues and white, probably 10 x 15. I can't imagine how people create this stuff... There's so much I did a video, just walking down the alley and trying to take in every single image.