HawthoRNe: Nurses Rule!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1062 replies to this topic

Isidore

Isidore

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 1:03 AM

The ratings so far:

06.22.10(SP) - 3.42 ( 1.1/3)
06.29.10 - 2.95 (0.8/3)
07.06.10 - 2.73 (0.8/2)
07.13.10 - 2.65 (0.7/2)

It seems vanity billboard doesnīt help much. Maybe they really need other cast members to be on that billboard. Many of Vartanīs fans still donīt know heīs on this show.

Okay, while I know that this show is backed by the super ego-maniacal Smiths, the portrayal of Nurse Gail is so much bullshit. As tough as it is to get people to be organ donors (living or dead) would a real nurse who gave a damn about patient care really turn away folks that came for donor blood testing or would she direct them to the outpatient lab?

The portrayal of Nurse Gail as this bureaucratic tyrant more concerned with her ego than helping people is as ridiculous as Jada as superwoman-fixer-of-all-things Christina Hawthorne.

They changed original script for this episode. I was surprised how nice ( really nice compared to the original version) Gail was with that donor. But did I miss something, why would she help in this case at all ? She was annoyed by it and then suddenly... sheīs the one who solves the problem.

Ah Dr. Erin... Whatever her reason for helping Tom... OK, everyone says she wants him, but if itīs so could you blame her? The man is hot. So far she doesnīt do anything inappropriate. Right now sheīs helping/forcing him to take care of himself. And in the next episodes ... Why, why is it always a womanīs fault if a man comes to her when he has problems with his girlfriend ? Nobody forces him to do so. Itīs his choice. HE is the "cheater". Everyone should be asking why did he change his mind oh so quickly? Fans on TNT page are really hard on Dr. Erin. Some of them even insult her saying sheīs "so bony" and that she's trying to seduce Tom with her money. Oh please!

Edited by Isidore, Jul 21, 2010 @ 1:06 AM.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 8:49 AM

It seems vanity billboard doesnīt help much. Maybe they really need other cast members to be on that billboard. Many of Vartanīs fans still donīt know heīs on this show.

I would agree except for the fact that the ratings were consistently better last season with Jada still being pushed as the "face" (the only face) of the show. Besides the writing I think they are losing out big time without The Closer being a lead in. From what I've read and heard Rizzoli and Isles is a medicore show. However, the ratings says otherwise. They're doing better than The Closer, which could in part be due to having a great lead in show.

NYC2007

NYC2007

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 9:33 AM

Last night's episode was slightly better than last week.

With the exception of Tom's comment to Christina about wanting to marry instead of watch a movie and his argument with her about Camille, their scenes/dialogue tonight made a little more sense.

I thought Camille wasn't supposed to be home, and didn't know about their relationship? The entire relationship is so confusing. So she said 'no' I don't want to marry you. Could it have been phrased - "no, not yet, we need to have more of a chance to build a relationship as a couple before we get there?" and then his reaction in the hall to spending time with her? Just way weird. I always feel like in the 7 days since the last episode, they've had 15 conversations and we missed all that and come in on the 7th day.

That being said, MV looked way hotter in the sweater than that long white lab coat.

ShugAvery

ShugAvery

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 9:48 AM

I really enjoyed this week's episode and that peek at what's to come for the season's second half has me excited.

Christina is good at avoidance and she keeps deflecting Tom's attention away from things they need to talk about regarding their relationship, that's what I got from that scene in her office. I think Camille may be aware that they're interested in each other but I don't think she knows how involved they are, the preview for next week shows mom & daughter talking about being in love, etc. so maybe they'll talk about it.

"Look at me when I'm taking to you" way to make me flash back to childhood scoldings, lol

as far as ratings I think it's day and time slot is working against the show more than anything, and it seems like Warehouse 13 is killing the competition right now. Having a big lead in could also work against a show if it isn't able to hold the audience, but right now i'm not too worried about the fate of the show. Other TNT shows have had worse ratings and they've come back, plus the Turner networks seem to factor in quite a bit when it comes to renewals.

Edited by ShugAvery, Jul 21, 2010 @ 9:49 AM.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 10:37 AM

ans on TNT page are really hard on Dr. Erin. Some of them even insult her saying sheīs "so bony" and that she's trying to seduce Tom with her money. Oh please!

Hee! I have a hard time liking Dr. Erin, because she played such an annoying character on Mad Men last season.

Yellowbird

Yellowbird

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 11:38 AM

Tonight's eppie was so much better than the rest this season. It flowed well. Though not perfect the kidney and cancer stories worked. With the exception of Tom's comment to Christina about wanting to marry instead of watch a movie and his argument with her about Camille, their scenes/dialogue tonight made a little more sense.

All of this. This was the first ep I truly enjoyed - saved for moments of Crappy Candy. I did think the Tom wanting Christina to argue with him instead of Camille was dumb till I realized people do sort of act like that when they are mad at want to get it out.

I just appreciated they didn't throw them head first into angsty/if you don't give me what I want-it's over territory. And the ending was very sweet.

I'm convinced Nurse Gail is there to make Christina's annoying Mary Sue seem necessary. Kudos to having Tom call out Christina on getting mad for Camille acting just like her. Although Camille was totally wrong telling hte family about the donor.

Strange things - Tom carrying a beeper. Do doctors still do that? I would think with today's technology doctors would be using blackberries or if they were still on beepers it would be one that looked like it was made in 2010 not 1990.

I was just in the hospital last month and, sure enough, the docs had beepers.

She doesn't really have a chance though. Tom will be all up under Christina in no time. He can never stay mad at her. Especially when Marc Anthony's character comes and takes an interest in Christina. Tom will be there for sure.

Tom has stated repeatedly he knows what he wants and that's marriage with Christina. I don't see him even trying to really shake that no matter who comes into the picture.

Edited by Yellowbird, Jul 21, 2010 @ 11:44 AM.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 12:16 PM

I can't believe no one quoted this:

Tom to Christina:

"I am not going to stand here and listen to you yell at Camille for the same thing that you do everyday."

WORD.

I may have missed this, but isn't Christina the reason that Camille knew about the possible kidney in the first place? Christina is just as wrong, because Camille should not have known about confidential medical information. I think that was why Christina was so upset; she needed to cover her own behind.

Also, Lettie Mae from True Blood was awesome as the girl's mother. She is actually a very pretty woman.

If my kid was on the transplant list ahead of those girls, I would have been upset, too. I can't believe that no one thought of that.

ShugAvery

ShugAvery

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 12:24 PM

I may have missed this, but isn't Christina the reason that Camille knew about the possible kidney in the first place? Christina is just as wrong, because Camille should not have known about confidential medical information. I think that was why Christina was so upset; she needed to cover her own behind.

No, actually that honor belongs to Marcus, whose "buddy in the lab" shouldn't have said anything either. Christina stopped in her tracks, looked Camille dead in the eye and told her to mind her business, then Marcus promptly pulled her aside and blabbed. He managed to escape all the drama somehow.

DashDixon

DashDixon

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 12:26 PM

Nope, that was all on Marcus. He told Camille the confidential information. The show was careful to have Christina tell Camille to mind her own business when she wanted to know what was going on. Christina respects her patients (I believe) too much to do something like that.

I did really like how the issues with the donor were addressed. I would assume that one who is in a position like that would have those questions and doubts. Nicely done. The little girls were adorable and the brother was such a sweetie!

ETA: Oops, beaten to the punch!

Edited by DashDixon, Jul 21, 2010 @ 12:27 PM.

Chasity

Chasity

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 12:28 PM

No, Christina isn't the one who told Camille about the kidney. Camille's boyfriend gave the lab results to Christina and after Christina left, he told Camille there was a match.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 12:46 PM

Nope, that was all on Marcus. He told Camille the confidential information. The show was careful to have Christina tell Camille to mind her own business when she wanted to know what was going on. Christina respects her patients (I believe) too much to do something like that.

That's what happens when I multi-task. Thanks!

marceline

marceline

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 3:31 PM

Strange things - Tom carrying a beeper. Do doctors still do that? I would think with today's technology doctors would be using blackberries or if they were still on beepers it would be one that looked like it was made in 2010 not 1990.

I'm guessing its for the same reason you aren't supposed to use cellphones in hospitals. Not that the TV gods seem to remember that one anymore either.

english

english

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 7:46 PM

So, I'm completely spoiler-free with this show (not because I'm taking some moral high road, but because...really, I don't care enough), but are they going to do a [speculation]PTSD storyline with Candi?[/speculation] Because it's not going to make me care for her nor about her, PTB. I like Ray and Anne Ramsay is still coasting on residual love from Mad About You. So I'm all for Ray/Brenda.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 8:58 PM

I did really like how the issues with the donor were addressed. I would assume that one who is in a position like that would have those questions and doubts.

I think it worked because it was Gail talking to him. You know if it had been Christina, she would have called the guy a murderer, drugged him, taken the kidney and left him in a bathtub full of ice with a message on the mirror saying: "Call the hospital! Not James River!"

I just am having a lot of trouble with Christina and Tom. Their relationship seems all over the place, and it feels as though they aren't quite sure what to do with them. Also, I hate with anyone on the show promises a result to a patient, like I think Tom did with the transplant girls' mom. I think it would be Med School 101 that you don't promise a result to a patient because so many things could go wrong.

Also, I loved Sara Gilbert. She is a nice balance to Nurse Sunshine and Lollipops.

kers

kers

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 10:45 PM

english, I suspect the same thing as you re: Candy's storyline. It feels a bit tired...maybe because I've seen other shows do it better than I think this show could.

I had the tv on mute for about ten minutes during the show, when it was too painful to watch the predictable fallout from Camille's premature notification to the family.

mochamajesty

mochamajesty

Fanatic

Posted Jul 21, 2010 @ 11:08 PM

Also, I loved Sara Gilbert. She is a nice balance to Nurse Sunshine and Lollipops.

I agree. Mr. Majesty said "Darlene Conner comes to James River!" No one does snarky like Sara Gilbert. Kelly is annoying with her sweet, innocent act.

Oh, and not enough Bobby this ep.

CapsChick

CapsChick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 3:27 PM

Wow. What a strange and terrible episode.

As a volunteer wish-granter for the Make-a-Wish Foundation (which "True Wishes" was clearly supposed to be), this portrayal could not be further off from how a wish-granting actually takes place. I won't bore you with the long list of inaccuracies. It was pretty insulting, and I'm just a volunteer.

I found myself wondering why Sara Gilbert's character became a nurse since she is utterly lacking in compassion.

The kidney donor storyline was a bit silly. There is never any opportunity to care and invest in the medical stories as on other hospital dramas, because the focus is always squarely on the nurses.

Candy and the jackhammering -- apparently setting up some big reveal about why she came home prematurely. I find that I don't care.

WHAT would possess someone, especially a nurse, to slap at a broken arm, albeit playfully -- and then be surprised that it hurt? And why be playful when someone is angry with you? It's like saying "I don't take you or your feelings seriously." What a weird scene. Christine doesn't seem to respect Tom's feelings at all.

I don't really have any reason to keep watching this. MV is wasted on this show.

Oh I forgot to say, I find it odd that a "little person" is in the cast just for height-related humorous moments.

Isidore

Isidore

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2010 @ 3:46 PM

WHAT would possess someone, especially a nurse, to slap at a broken arm, albeit playfully -- and then be surprised that it hurt?

I know! It was ridiculous.

And why be playful when someone is angry with you? It's like saying "I don't take you or your feelings seriously." What a weird scene. Christine doesn't seem to respect Tom's feelings at all.

Christina, like Tom said, is just crazy. The only feelings and opinions she takes seriously are her own. And is there a character on this show who has Christinaīs respect? I donīt think so.

I don't really have any reason to keep watching this. MV is wasted on this show.

The only reason for me to keep watching - Tomīs relationship with Dr. Erin. Watch how careful and gentle Dr. Erin is with Tomīs arm in that scene with pins and brushes, how she doesnīt want to hurt him in any way, how she is the one and only person who helps him to take care of his arm. And itīs not only because she likes him but because sheīs a doctor and just a thoughtful person. And Iīm sure she wouldnīt slap anyone with a broken arm. But it makes me sick when I think that Tom will probably just use Dr.Erin for attention he doesnīt get from his precious Christina and then dump Erin when Christina wants him back. If something like that happens I wonīt respect Dr. Wakefield anymore. I want him to be a complicated character, but I never wanted him to be a jerk.

Enero

Enero

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 27, 2010 @ 9:13 PM

This episode started with promise then it veered off into...I'm still not sure what. There were again too many stories. I could've done without Camille and Candy (despite her bombshell). The dying doctor storyline tried my patience as well.

I don't understand Christina. When Tom needs her the most she's hiding at the hospital behind her work? Then she has the nerve to tell Camille that she's afraid of losing him and having him? Huh? It's painfully obvious that Christina is a child in a woman's game. She has no clue how to handle a mature relationship with a man. And until she figures that out she doesn't even need to attempt to have a romantic relationship with Tom. She should just leave him to the women at James River.

That said, Tom and Dr. Erin's conversation was nice, but they have zero chemistry. They're both good looking people, but there is no spark whatsoever which is pretty much the case with every couple on the show with exception of Tom and Christina and Bobby and the EMT guy from last season.

Isidore

Isidore

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 7:09 AM

I like this review for the episode:

Meanwhile Tom moves up his surgery and needs panic-stricken, MIA Christina to go with him but settles for Erin instead, shocking exactly no one...After Tom informs an already woozy Christina he needs her to drive him to his surgery, she collapses with what seems to be a full-blown panic attack, which of course means she can’t help him. Other patients, yes, but not Tom. It’s ages before she even looks for him.

Christina is insanely frustrating this episode. She tells Camille that loving someone is being terrified of losing him and even more terrified of having him, and I think that’s supposed to make me sympathetic, but her callousness is simply too much to take. In the episode’s other parallel case, the Afghan husband insists he be the last person his wife sees before she’s put under anesthesia and the first person she sees when she wakes up so she knows she’s not alone in the darkness. Tom wanted Christina to be that for him, but instead Christina ignores him and then must watch as Tom opens his eyes to see Erin, not her. Choices have consequences, Christina.
-------
Tom isn’t going to wait around for Christina any longer and I think even Bobbie is losing patience. As much as I wanted to slap Christina upside the head this episode, I’m really looking forward to the aftermath because I think she will finally have to deal with her issues or risk becoming Dr. Arkin, only she might not have a Gail, leaving her all alone in the darkness.

So much happened in this episode. It was so boring. The only thing that got my attention was Dr. Erin having trash in her car. I never thought that this young lady could be messy (sheīs always so clean and shiny). But that was cute.

Everything else...uh. Christina... I try to understand her, but still... Thereīs always be some emergency at work, because, you know, itīs a hospital. The patients/staff could do without her. She wasnīt that big help anyway, fainting and collapsing all over the place. So they didnīt ask her to stay. But her boyfriend ASKED her twice to be with him for his life-changing surgery and she wasnīt. And then she was what- insulted? pissed?- when she saw him with Erin? Why? Because the most important thing is not his surgery, his pain, his future. The most important thing is Christinaīs issues (whatever they are) and her pride. In every episode she does something that makes me like her even less.

Camile and Marcus? Shocking! NOT.
Vartanīs RL friend and his father as Dr. Arkin and his son? Why waste screen time on this? Just to show how warm Gail can be?
Pregnant Candy? Priceless. So donīt care.

Edited by Isidore, Jul 28, 2010 @ 7:22 AM.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 8:49 AM

After last night's episode, I have two primary thoughts:

1. Why am I still being subjected to the horror that is Candy. Can't she be given some incurable disease so that she can fade from our memories.

2. Count me among those who are officially of the Christiana/Tom bandwagon. What she did to him last night was both inexcusable and unforgivable. Tom desperately needed her and she couldn't take the time to be with him. I guess being with people she did not know, could not communicate with, and of yeah as Tom pointed out, she was in no better position to help than anyone else in the hospital was more important. Even Camille questioned why she was not with Tom. On top of that Christiana actually had the nerve to be upset when seeing the other doctor with Tom and she didn't even both to enter his room. What a selfish, self-absorbed, self-serving b****! Be warned Tom, Christiana has shown you her true face and you better not forget it; find someone who truly cares for you and is deserving of your love.

Renard

Renard

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 10:08 AM

ChainofFools, were you talking about Christina or Jada?

Bchick

Bchick

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 10:27 AM

Christina was so irritating with the Tom stuff. I liked the episode better than last week's and the week before but DAMN was Christina frustrating to watch. I wish Bobby had given her a Cher from Moonstruck slap to snap out of it.

I know Camille is young but I thought she was smart enough to play that type of game away from home considering how her mother is about intimacy & has made her feelings known about how she feels about Camille having sex.

I don't hate Candy but she's just so pointless to me. What is she supposed to represent on the show? And cool, the hubby was played by one of the lab squints from Bones.

Yellowbird

Yellowbird

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 12:41 PM

Christina completely lost me by leaving Tom to get his operation alone. He's obviously terrified but even if she was late, she opted to not bother showing up and making sure she was there when he went into recovery. Unforgivable.

The thing about Christina is she wasn't even doing her job. Nursing Directors are NOT floor personnel. They are administrative. Christina does OTHER people's jobs. So she's not even necessary to most of the situations she shoehorns herself into. I didn't see ONE thing happen that Christina needed to be there for. She stayed because it was easier for her. Selfish.

And the story she told Camille about being scared of losing/keeping the one you love didn't work because she's completely made this whole situation about her. It's like Tom isn't even there.

Camille just strikes me as really stupid. She's only been dating that dude a minute for one. For two, if you are underage and going to screw in your parents house? You don't lounge around and do it. That is the crappy part of being a teen playing at being an adult. You screw and the dude/girl gets the frick out because you cannot count on your parents not coming home. Every week Camille does stupid ish. Like mother, like daughter I guess.

rulesoftravel

rulesoftravel

Stalker

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 1:11 PM

I think the fact that Christina has only had one other relationship (dead husband) plays a lot into how she is dealing w/ Tom. She really has no practice at just dating and being with someone. And Tom , asking her to marry him and then sulking like a little boy has not exactly made her feel that he's all the way there for her.

But, she could have had Bobby call Tom and tell him that she had passed out.

Also, after the way Tom had serious "kill me-it hurts so good" sex with her, the night of his accident-I can see why she thought he could handle her hitting his arm.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 8:47 PM

And the story she told Camille about being scared of losing/keeping the one you love didn't work because she's completely made this whole situation about her. It's like Tom isn't even there.

Well in fairness, Christina makes everything about herself. Tom's surgery was really all about how it affected Christina. The Afghan patient, again all about Christina. I would even bet that Camille having sex will be made all about Christina. I'm sure if she had the power, she would implant GI Lame's (loved that) baby into her own uterus just so she could make that all about herself as well.

The Tom/Erin thing was just ridiculous and predictable. Like others said, zero chemistry.

ChainofFools

ChainofFools

Fanatic

Posted Jul 28, 2010 @ 10:57 PM

ChainofFools, were you talking about Christina or Jada?

Renard: Given Jada's position of power on this show, and the fact that she is clearly delusional enough to think that somehow Christina is coming across as a strong, dedicated, and passionate, woman, I'm truly not sure that my character assessment merely applies to Christina.

Isidore

Isidore

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 10:42 AM

“Hidden Truths” – Premieres Tuesday, Aug. 3, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT)
An old friend resurfaces, and Christina is determined to help her despite the insurance company’s refusal to cover her treatment. Tom’s growing relationship with Erin rubs Christina the wrong way, just as tension and silence build at home between Christina and Camille. And a secret about Kelly is revealed.

Directed by Jeff Bleckner
Written by Darin Goldberg & Shelley Meals

“A Mother Knows” – Premieres Tuesday, Aug. 10, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT)
Isabel, concerned for the safety of her son in foster care, kidnaps him and disappears. And it’s up to Christine and Detective Nick Renata (special guest star Marc Anthony) to find her. Tom gets back into surgery, while Bobbie and Steve try to help the family of the woman who injured him. Ray finds out the truth about Candy, and Kelly has a run-in with Malia and Judy. Sara Gilbert guest-stars.

Directed by Tricia Brock
Written by Erica Shelton

“Picture Perfect” – Premieres Tuesday, Aug. 17, at 9 p.m. (ET/PT)
A volatile situation with Camille prompts Christine to seek help from Det. Nick Renata (special guest star Marc Anthony). Erin clashes with Christina over Tom’s career path. Kelly tries to track down a grieving mother’s camera. And a figure from Steve’s past comes back to haunt him. Sara Gilbert guest-stars.

Directed by Jeff Bleckner
Written by Adam E. Fierro and Lisa Randolph

"Erin clashes with Christina over Tom’s career path." Oh please! Thatīs just ridiculous. Itīs nobodyīs business, it should be Tomīs decision what to do.
I hope Erin kills Christina so I can finally watch the show and like it. Or better: they should kill Tom so Vartan could find a good show or movie to be in and I could stop watching this Crazina-show.

Edited by Isidore, Jul 29, 2010 @ 10:48 AM.

walnutqueen

walnutqueen

Fanatic

• Interests:eclectic

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 9:38 PM

Given Jada's position of power on this show, and the fact that she is clearly delusional enough to think that somehow Christina is coming across as a strong, dedicated, and passionate, woman, I'm truly not sure that my character assessment merely applies to Christina.

Thank you, ChainofFools! This show makes me grind my teeth, and it is mostly because of Christina/Jada. I never had much of an opinion of JPS, but now I think she's a tool.

kers

kers

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 29, 2010 @ 9:56 PM

I gave up and deleted HawthoRNe from my DVR queue. This last episode made it so hard to like Christina.