7-18: 2009.05.05 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

368 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2009 @ 10:24 AM

The final four contestants, cheered on by five past season winners on the show, will face their toughest challenge yet -- running a full marathon (26.2 miles) -- on the penultimate episode of "The Biggest Loser: Couples" airing Tuesday, May 5 on NBC (8-10 p.m. ET).

First, the final four contestants Tara Costa (New York, NY), Mike and Ron Morelli (South Lyon, MI) and Helen Phillips (Sterling Heights, MI) head home for 30 days. After heartwarming reunions with family and friends, they try to get back into their routines but find it challenging to make diet and exercise a priority back at home. Adding to the challenge is the news from host Alison Sweeney that when they return to the ranch at the end of 30 days, their final challenge will be their toughest one yet running a full marathon. Trainers Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels make surprise visits to the finalists to help steer them back on track.

Back in California, the final four are off to try to complete the 26.2 mile course. Cheering them on along the way are some past season "Biggest Losers" -- grand prize winners Michelle Aguilar (season 6) and Ali Vincent (season 5), plus "at home" winners Jim Germanakos (season 4), Heba Salama (season 6) and Bernie Salazar (season 5). And as an added incentive, each player who finishes the marathon will get $10,000 to donate to the charity of his or her choice.

Later, it's the very last "last chance workouts" with the trainers before a final weigh in determines who the two definite finalists will be and which two contestants fall below the dreaded yellow line. Then America will vote to select the third finalist to compete for the grand prize of $250,000. Viewers can vote by phone or online at www.nbc.com. The contestant America has chosen will be revealed in the live season finale on May 12 (8-11 p.m. ET).

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

Time to vote for Ron!!

HurriKaty

HurriKaty

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

I know a lot of people are going to be doing what they did last year and voting for Ron out of spite but I cannot force myself to do it. I love Mike too much and hate Ron too much.

And once again, Tara is all waaah, I can't do it, blam 10 pounds, waaah, I did it. They may as well rename the season The Tara Show.

Ron however clearly did not learn anything from Heba and Ed last year. Dumbass. Oh well, it was a fun season, congratulations Tara or something.

Edited by HurriKaty, May 5, 2009 @ 9:01 PM.

WAnglais1

WAnglais1

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:02 PM

Thank you, Ziploc/NBC Promo monkeys for showing us who the two people to vote for were with about 30 minutes left! You could plainly see Ron and Mike on the voting page in their commercial. Morons...

Mike has changed so much. He's a different person. He's so different now. The changes he's gone through. I think I understand because he told us about 839 times in his THs.

TPTB are so setting up Max to come back next season. Don't do it. Although I did love Max talking about eating better, something like, "Bob tells me and I listen. I'm kinda tired of hearing my Dad and Mike talk." The rest of America agrees with you.

Honestly, I don't care who wins. They're all nuts. Now, I'm off to not vote for Ron's "Dead, Gay Son" as much as I can.

Edited by WAnglais1, May 5, 2009 @ 9:03 PM.

lu1wml

lu1wml

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:04 PM

I'm so happy that Helen made the finals, and I'll vote for Mike, because I like him too.
I couldn't read the fine print. Is there a limit on how many calls can come from a single number?

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Well I've been trying to call Ron's number and it's really busy. No surprise there.

krizmic

krizmic

Fanatic

When I saw Heba and Ron walking hand in hand? *Puke*

Ditto LunaIndigo. I don't know if I can "punish" Mikey, whereas last year? It was a pleasure to vote for Ed.

Now I want to have a drink with Jillian and just cry it out.

acidburn

acidburn

Video Archivist

I know I'm mean but the first thing that popped in to my head when I saw the Signal/safety truck behind Ron (during the Marathon) was "I wonder if it says WIDE LOAD".

Can't seem to vote for either one. Phone lines are terrible busy. I got better luck on the website.

HurriKaty

HurriKaty

Channel Surfer

No idea, lu1wml. I wouldn't know because I haven't been able to get through. Just like Idol! Woo.

African Orchid

African Orchid

Video Archivist

As much as I dislike Ron, damn if I didn't cry when he finally finished that marathon. Although I wonder why the wife did not appear on the episode at all.

And I loved Jillian this episode. She was, dare I say, human.

donnamarie

donnamarie

Couch Potato

Bernie!!!

I can't get through on the phone for Mike, so I voted for him at nbc.com.

I cried like a baby when Ron reached the finish line of that marathon. Love him or hate him, but that was certainly an amazing moment.

Bernie!!!!

This was a terrific episode. Jillian, my love for you knows no bounds. Those home visits were touching.

Bernie!!

livserge

livserge

Video Archivist

Well, the definite difference between the Heba and Ed scandal is that people actually like Mike. Ed was the less despicable of he two, and Heba said some pretty condescending, presumptuous things in her "confessional to America." Mike was pretty humble, "vote for me, great; vote for my dad; also great, I love him." I've been trying to call and vote for Mike for the past 5 minutes, but the circuits are overloaded. I think he'll definitely get the votes. Kid is pretty lovable. And I can't believe I found myself crying when Ron finished the marathon. I really thought he would cop out like he has on all the other challenges; so for him to make it on the most difficult yet - he really earned my respect.

KaliDoom

KaliDoom

Loyal Viewer

When Ron was doing his before interviews, with the full beard and the hair slicked back. I was waiting for him to try to sell me OxiClean. He looked like a really large version of Billy Mays.

I voted for Ron. A lot.

gryphonmage

gryphonmage

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

I know that people are tired of seeing Tara win, but I'm not! I want to see her do it one more time, and I was glad to see her succeed again tonight. I admire her competitive spirit and determination. I have to say, I love Helen, too, and I have to be honest, I would be happy to see either of those girls win.

Mike and Ron, well, Ron has consistently annoyed and disgusted me through the season. I was impressed by his determination to finish the marathon tonight, but I would have liked to see some of that through ANY challenge the rest of the season.

As for voting, I probably won't. If Mike gets it, well he deserves it, and if Ron gets it, well, it almost guarantees a win for one of my girls!

It was nice to see past winners and players and see them supporting the current folks, and I totally had the sniffles as everyone finished their marathons.

ETA: Hey Dane (or Blaine, whichever) RON finished a marathon. RON.

Edited by gryphonmage, May 5, 2009 @ 9:09 PM.

LunaIndigo

LunaIndigo

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

I was waiting for him to try to sell me OxiClean. He looked like a really large version of Billy Mays.

KABOOM!!!

I was sooo glad to see Bernie there. He was so short standing next to Mike. Aww.

Edited by LunaIndigo, May 5, 2009 @ 9:08 PM.

KaliDoom

KaliDoom

Loyal Viewer

lu1wml, you can vote 3 times per phone number. It tells you when you get through.

Ben Stilwell

Ben Stilwell

Couch Potato

That cane sure didn't help shed Ron's godfather image.

Its difficult to punish Mike just to say fuck you to Ron but I just can't pass up the chance.

midtowngirl

midtowngirl

Just Tuned In

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Popping out of lurkdom to post. I hate Ron but I hate him less now after seeing him complete the marathon. Wow. I find it interesting that he chose now to give 100% to a challenge. Was it the 10K for charity? Was it the fact that if he really hurt himself now, it wasn't as big a deal as he was at the end of the game? Not sure, but my heart just grew about two sizes.

Tara's and Helen's times were fantastic! I am in awe, really.

Feeling awful for Mike and his injury. I hope we find out what it is.

applepie77

applepie77

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

I've already voted 3 times online for Mike -- hey, I'm a Mich State alum and gotta represent. It's a PITA but at least you get through. Ron cannot be in the finals--man's half-crippled -- wonder if he will need knee replacement? But like others, damn if I wasn't crying like a little girl when he finished the marathon. BERNIE!!! YAY!!! Did Jim gain a little weight back. Hated, hated, hated seeing Heba on my television again.

They all look amazing (tm Kelly Kapoor). Tara is truly gorgeous.

ProfTrelawney

ProfTrelawney

Just Tuned In

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

Thank you Jillian for the best line of the whole season:
"Tara, you're not going to live your whole life without pita chips."

And thank you for the reminders about balance. Right before....asking them all to do a marathon without proper training. Um...

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

I'm so happy that Helen made the finals, and I'll vote for Mike, because I like him too.
I couldn't read the fine print. Is there a limit on how many calls can come from a single number?

It was hard to read. You should be able to get the info at nbc.com

Really, really, really DID NOT need to see a close up of Max puking.

As much as I dislike Ron, I did feel sorry for him when he was sitting there shaking. At least he finished the challenge. Good for him. I did have to wonder if it might have been a little easier on his joints if he had walked on the shoulder as opposed to the road.

I'm glad Helen & Tara are in the final.

How tall is Helen? When she was walking beside Michelle they looked about the same height & I thought Michelle was 5'2". Helen looks taller than her husband so he must be really short.

gardendiva

gardendiva

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:15 PM

I agree with the previous poster who said Tara was gorgeous. She looked incredible when she was out with her girlfriends. Also, Helen looked really athletic while doing her marathon. Her legs were so shapely and muscular! Very impressive how much these people have changed from the beginning.

nera

nera

Loyal Viewer

Will there be a marthongate again? Tara's time of 5 hours for a marathon is pretty good isn't it for someone with no training? Did they get a ride for part of the way like Blaine did?

Okay the difference that I see between this year and last year is that for Mike it really is a win-win situation. He will be just as happy for his dad to be in the finals as he would be for himself. I know a lot of people want to screw Ron but I just can't due to that fact. Doesn't matter who gets in the finals because unless Tara implodes and starts inhaling ding-dongs I don't think anyone can touch her.

SpencersMommy

SpencersMommy

Couch Potato

How ridiculous to dump a "now you get to run a marathon!" with four weeks to train! We knew it was coming, but it was still appalling to watch them all stress.

I found Max's comments about Bob the more insightful than any of the contestants: "There's just something about Bob, you just don't want to disappoint him." That, to me, sums up why Bob's teams wind up comprised of pleasers and codependents, not winner. Good for you, Max.

Poor Mikey... somehow the weight of the world is still resting squarely on his shoulders. Not his parents, mind you, but on him. When he said that he's not a trainer but he's responsible for Max, all I could think of was a) no, you are not, your parents are! and b) what you really need is Sione because he's a trainer, and c) what you really, really needs is Kristen to just get that boy so very inspired! < /snark off>

Ugh! Did we really need to see Hebabubba? And did anyone else notice her trying to get into the camera frame? I saw it at least twice. Camera whore!

Voting for Ron because, as I mentioned last episode, we adults have so few opportunities to defy direct orders without any consequences.

Airy

Airy

Just Tuned In

How much 'real time' is there from when tonight's show was filmed and next week's finale?

TravestyTimes

TravestyTimes

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

So, it's an all-Jillian team finale. I see no way America will vote Ron in over Mike.

Ron did inspire me when he finished that marathon. Go figure.

acidburn

acidburn

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

The gravel on the shoulder would be easier on the joints but just looking at the sections of the road they were on, most of the shoulders had a mild incline to them which would put more weight on Ron's bum knee (and making it ultimately more painful for him)

Black Cat

Black Cat

Video Archivist

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

As much as the trainers seemed to hate it, I kind of think the marathon was a good idea. Having a big goal to focus on probably helped ease the transition a bit between Ranch and Home. Glad their bodies didn't rebel and they were still able to put up respectable numbers at the weigh in.

I found Max's comments about Bob the more insightful than any of the contestants: "There's just something about Bob, you just don't want to disappoint him." That, to me, sums up why Bob's teams wind up comprised of pleasers and codependents, not winner.

That's what had me throwing things at the screen. He spends the whole season making it about the team and encouraging that "do it for me" mindset, and then after Ron finishes the marathon (which, still not a fan, but still grinning ear to ear when Ron did that), Bob sits there and says, "Yay, Ron! Breakthrough! He did something for himself!" Shut it, Bob.

Edited by Black Cat, May 5, 2009 @ 9:24 PM.

HurriKaty

HurriKaty

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:18 PM

Did anyone else notice they totally spoiled the bottom two? They showed the america's vote website before the weigh in, in a commercial, and Mike and Ron were listed.

Stupid.

Teapot37

Teapot37

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2009 @ 9:18 PM

I think this weigh-in was at the end of March. So I think there's actually six weeks from the weigh-in we just saw until the live finale.