1-11: "Briar Rose" 2009.05.01 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

413 replies to this topic

leto

leto

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:04 PM

That was awesome.

baj4life

baj4life

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Poor Victor!

lilyflower

lilyflower

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

OMG...OMG... OMG

*bows down to Joss*

Badwitch

Badwitch

Stalker

• Interests:Depeche Mode, cats, Buffy

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

Hey,
Wash!

I just laughed outloud when he threw his arms out to “hide” the plants and called them “medicinal carrots” esp. the part that they came with the apt. and they belonged to a friend. His body language was so funny. I also found him spitting the coffee in the cup funny.

Then I looked at imdb to mach sure it was Alan Tudyk, and I find out he plays Alpha.

So no big surprise when he cuts Victor.

Loved the fight. Better then anything on Buffy or Angel.

Elenita

Elenita

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

I missed the first ten minutes, up until Ballard following the van. Did I miss anything important?

kechara

kechara

Fanatic

Now that's what we need to see. Ended too soon. Can't wait til next week.

caitlin claire

caitlin claire

Fanatic

Best. Episode. Ever!!!!!!!!!!

Wow. Alan as Alpha was pretty much the worst kept secret ever but that reveal still sent chills down my spine.

I knew Alan could pull the funny but I was blown away by how mind blowingly creepy he was. I think he may be my very favorite Joss villain.

The thing with the kid and sleeping beauty seemed really superfluous.

Clash181

Clash181

Video Archivist

WASH!!!!

I loved it!

Suz e Q

Suz e Q

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Reading as many books as I can get my hands on, devouring seasons of television shows in just a few short days, writing fanfiction (but no slash, although I'm chill with reading it), snarky websites, finding and becoming obsessed with as much new (to me) music as possible, hanging out with friends over a beer or lots of whiskey, avoiding doing any actual work at my day job. <br /><br />And um... yeah!

Alan Tudyk scared the crap out of me when he confronted Claire and Victor. Oh god, poor Victor!

I'm still processing everything that happened in the episode, but damn was it a good one. I cannot wait for next week!

darkguardian

darkguardian

Fanatic

Well played, I was completely fooled by the Alpha reveal. It explained why his agoraphobia was kinda half assed. Who did Alpha download into Echo, thats the real question. Its not Caroline. Can't wait for the season (probably sadly the series) finale.

jmarrise

jmarrise

Couch Potato

That was great but I need to process it.

I thought it was fairly obvious that Alan Tudyk was Alpha, especially given how he hid from everyone. I didn't expect Echo to make out with him at the end though.

Victor as Dominic was great - I hope Victor is okay!

Lead Magnet

Lead Magnet

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

That shook things up good.

Alan Tudyk does a good scary crazy.

Ballard v. Boyd fit the style those two would fight with. Liked the nod to Alpha's fear of missing stair risers.

It was of course quite squicky, but the speed and style with which Alpha cut up Victor had me yelling "Zorro!" Which is, yeah, horribly inappropriate.

CrimpsTCO14

CrimpsTCO14

Loyal Viewer

That was pretty good, but DANG, Paul is stupid. I mean, he's definitely hot, but really man, you're going to take Caroline out of there when she's almost brain-dead? Smart plan there, dude.

He's still hot, though. Mmmm, Helo.

And somehow, Alan Tudyk got 10x hotter when he got into his scary-ass Alpha persona. I don't even know why I find that attractive.

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

So, the Doctor is Whiskey. I got that in about 2 seconds after "Dominick" said that.

I barely know who Alan Tudyk is, so it actually hit me by about the time Ballard was in the car with him that he was Alpha.

Yes, Joss, you write good.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:09 PM

Hideous framing device (storybook BLARGH), but Ballard and Alpha made up for it. I am all for more crazy testosterone in the Dollhouse.

Also, Victor has the worst luck in the world. But how good was Enver at being Dominic?

mrscharlesgunn

mrscharlesgunn

Channel Surfer

Alan Tudyk is made of awesome.

Ballard should have left Echo in her box and saved Mellie/November. Tears!

Poor Victor - his pretty face!

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

That would have been significantly better if we hadn't already known from the casting spoilers WHO Tudyk was playing.

And really, making Alpha so run-of-mill-serial-killerish? Bo. Ring.

Also lame? A Spike and Drusilla ending? Come. On. Been to that well once too often, Joss.

Although, actually what's teased for NEXT week seems a bit more interesting. Well, ONE bit in particular.

Edited by Snark Shark, May 1, 2009 @ 9:10 PM.

shanaynay

shanaynay

Fanatic

Dayum.

That was one awesomely intense hour of television.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

Damn. I have to agree with you, leto. If all the episodes had been that awesome, this show would have definitely been getting better ratings.

Is it bad of me that I sort of didn't mind Alpha threatening the good doctor? I felt bad for Victor, but I really wouldn't care if Alpha took out some of the others.

Ballard was awesome. He really does care for Mellie, but he knows it can't really happen. I also loved him fighting Boyd.

Too bad Alpha didn't cut an Adelle bitch. That would have been awesome.

I'm using the word awesome a lot, aren't I?

Edited by mustbekarma, May 1, 2009 @ 9:12 PM.

Sprout

Sprout

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

There was a lot of Holy Shit in there.

First, we pretty much confirmed that Claire Saunders is/was a Doll. Dominic-in-Victor (and how great an impression of Reed Diamond was that, anyway) called her Whiskey, and Alpha called her out for lying when she said she'd always wanted to be a doctor.

Second, Sierra/Victor was just a massive foreshadow for Echo/Alpha. They must have had a similar enduring attraction that culminated in Alpha's composite event, which may have been triggered when the Dollhouse tried to permanently separate them. That would explain why Adelle hasn't gone to greater lengths to put the kibosh on Sierra/Victor.

Soleil

Soleil

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Alan Tudyk is mad sexy.

I missed the past few episodes, but am I the only one who still has trouble understanding the big deal about Echo/Caroline? I still feel this show would be so much stronger if it was truly an ensemble show. I would respect Ballard a lot more if he seemed as concerned for the other Dolls as he does about his fantasy pinup damsel in distress.

Poor Victor! Not his beautiful face!

ronathan

ronathan

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

"I am a leaf on the wind. . . and a raving psychopath!!!"

I did not spoil myself on the Alpha reveal, but c'mon, it was super obvious from the time that Paul knocked on his door that the dude was going to turn out to be Alpha. Love seeing Alan Tudyk back on the screen, since I was a big fan of Firefly and loved his comedic timing. Not sure how many opportunities he's going to have to bring the funny with this character, but still. . . good to have you back Alan!

Edited by ronathan, May 1, 2009 @ 9:24 PM.

Ben

Ben

Video Archivist

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

It's too bad that the casting of Alpha was spoilered online many weeks in advance. Still, Alan Tudyk kept up the crunchy wimp front pretty well. It wasn't until he put on the tight doll clothes that he started looking like a credible Alpha. The guy's pretty buff.

What it looks like now is that Alpha is basically just a psycho, if a smart one. He was an early active, so either the engineering or the screening process hadn't been fine-tuned. His mind got scrambled in the process, or further scrambled. But I'd say his fixation on Caroline is just mania, doesn't really mean anything. The Caroline he wants her to be doesn't act like anything from what we saw of her in "Echoes."

One nitpick. When Victor/Dominic said Whiskey, why didn't anyone else in the room recognize it as part of the NATO phonetic alphabet?

Hopefully now that Ballard has been inside and they know that he knows about Mellie, November can be put to other uses. I'd like to see her as a biker or astronaut or something.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

You don't heal scars like that.

He may not die. That's about all we can hope for.

Tudyk as nuSpike was pretty good. It's just the wash, rinse, repeatness of the Spike & Drusilla thing that's getting me.

WampaLord

WampaLord

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:13 PM

I'm sure it will be overlooked by all the "AWESOME ALPHA ACTION"™ of this episode, but the Topher/Ivy shipper in me enjoyed their scene in the beginning a lot.

That said, the Holy Shit Quotient was high for the latter half of this episode. Tudyk plays crazy so very well.

ECAmber

ECAmber

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

FUCKING AWESOME!

Ballard can plot out a course to find bigger pieces of the puzzle (dumping Mellie to find the location of the DH). So he can investigate like a real cop! Who’da thunk it?

So Topher can have a shred of decency.

Also: Bullshit. There’s a girl “Caroline” being held against her will??? Not Mellie or Polly or anything like that. Not the girl he loves and hurt (even if she isn’t aware). He’s going in for Caroline? That’s crap. Ok, I wrote that before they wrote in the “you’ll kill me, I’m sorry” crap. Still, I think it’s crap, even if I did agree begrudgingly.

Alan did amazing! I love his intro scene, spitting out the coffee, the pot plants everywhere. Although he had some Topher mannerisms. But he played that scene so well, just knocked the twitchy, stoned, hilarious ball out of the park. I love how he managed to hide his face from EVERYONE while getting in there, mucking up the system and reaching his goal. He nailed the whole thing… I can’t wait to watch more of him. God he’s been missed and if he can’t be Wash, this is pretty damn awesome.

I actually really like the Susan!Echo storyline. It was a bit on the nose, but I think ED did an excellent job and really connected with the child actress (who was she anyway, she’s familiar). I feel bad because that child (the character) was just getting a hint of growth and healing direction from Child Counselor!Echo… and she goes and gets herself kidnapped by Alpha. That kid will just feel abandoned and go back into her world of self destruction and that’s for the sad making.

Victor as Dominic was incredible. That actor never fails to amaze how he channels personas.

The Sierra thing was actually a little irritating. I get that the audience will now be constantly squicked out when she is used for sex. But the brainy doctor/spy thing is getting old – fast.
“Eden wasn’t a prison” “are you kidding? Even the apples were monitored” So many great lines.
The Alpha reveal was incredible. I knew it was coming, but it was still executed so well! Poor Victor (“people were fighting on me”) and and he was scared… then he got scarred. Poor, poor Victor.

Whatever persona Alpha put into Echo, it was something he made or something they found together. Which means even Alpha, all cracked and shattered crazy genius that he is, is also using Echo/Caroline like everyone else. His just doesn’t have any rules to abide by (that we know of). His world appears to be much grittier and darker. He obviously killed the guy after wiping his mind to steal that information – hence the twitchy (although the mountains of pot don’t make a lot of sense). Still, he's doing what DH does - he takes people, wipes their minds and turns them into dolls for his much more perverse and twisted uses.

And holy shit does the finale look amazing.
More to say, but I gotta process that…

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

we pretty much confirmed that Claire Saunders is/was a Doll. Dominic-in-Victor (and how great an impression of Reed Diamond was that, anyway) called her Whiskey, and Alpha called her out for lying when she said she'd always wanted to be a doctor.

Yeah. Actually that was pretty cool. We'd suspected this since that other episode where the Dolls weren't affected by the magic crazy formula, when the Doc was mysteriously missing, but it was nice to have it confirmed. And it also kind of confirms that the Dollhouse never lets people go. Period.

So I wonder if Alpha slicing faces is only an honor he bestows on Dolls.

The Sierra thing was actually a little irritating. I get that the audience will now be constantly squicked out when she is used for sex. But the brainy doctor/spy thing is getting old – fast.

And once again, she was wearing THE WRONG SHOES FOR THE ROLE! She always does!

bluroses

bluroses

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

One nitpick. When Victor/Dominic said Whiskey, why didn't anyone else in the room recognize it as part of the NATO phonetic alphabet?

I assume Topher and Adelle already know and didn't want "Dominic" to say anything else to Claire and Boyd.

Maybe he'll be the new doctor

Edited by bluroses, May 1, 2009 @ 9:18 PM.

imatwkrp

imatwkrp

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

I'm so glad I've been too busy with work to get spoilered, because I totally bit down on the Alan Tudyk thing. My sweet Wash, I simply didn't think he could do such a thing! Very cool. I enjoyed this episode heaps. Too bad it's probably going to be its last.

ETA: Snark Shark, what kind of shoes was she wearing, which made them so wrong?

Edited by imatwkrp, May 1, 2009 @ 9:18 PM.

Limber

Limber

Fanatic

Posted May 1, 2009 @ 9:17 PM

I think Alpha says something about Victor's scars not being deep, so fingers crossed.

So, Alpha: He looks like he experienced a composite event, but I don't think that means he got his entire original personality back. And it looks like he's either able to imprint the tech's mind, or just mimic. So did he just bust into the Dollhouse for just his Bonnie, or did he also want to re-upload his Clyde imprint?

I'm assuming Alpha's girlfriend's original body is dead, though who knows why he's picked Caroline, other than physical attributes.