Old Glee Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1406 replies to this topic

TropGirl

TropGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2009 @ 8:06 PM

I haven't seen this preview yet, can you give me a link please?

I have tried my hardest to find it, but to no avail. It ran two or three weeks ago during American Idol.

tootles86

tootles86

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 13, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

I swore off Fox after canceling Drive after 4 Episodes (and secretly showing the last two during the summer) but after seeing this preview, I've totally been sucked in again. I loved High School Musical and I loved Popular when it was on TV....so I'm thinking I'll love this too.

So it starts next week then?

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2009 @ 12:57 PM

So it starts next week then?

No.

Just one episode. The rest is next fall.

Unico24

Unico24

Video Archivist

Posted May 16, 2009 @ 7:59 PM

The four minute extended trailer is on Comcast On Demand under Searchlight<Entertainment<TV Exclusives. I've already watched it several times over on my TV.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 16, 2009 @ 9:01 PM

I think you can watch the pilot for free via itunes.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 12:31 AM

I think it's just a clip at the moment.

Edited by Paul O Regan, May 17, 2009 @ 12:31 AM.

hgalve

hgalve

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 3:14 AM

This kind of reminds me of a much funnier and much quirkier High School Musical. Plus, so far the singing and the music is really great. I've pretty much watched every single promo I can find for this show. It's too bad it's on Fox though since they hardly give shows that are different and unique a chance. I can't wait to see it though.

TiVangelist

TiVangelist

Channel Surfer

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 9:14 AM

I can't wait for this show. It reminds me of a Christopher Guest movie, perhaps mostly because of the presence of Jane Lynch, but also the whole hyper-serious tone about something rather ridiculous. But the best part is that the singing is great! Like Waiting for Guffman meets Sister Act.

Detsl

Detsl

Fanatic

• Interests:я обожаю слишком много сериалов.

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 2:38 PM

Oh my God. I don't think I have ever been more excited for a show as this one. Watching the 4 minute promo actually made me tear up a bit. Thank goodness I didn't hear about it (disgrace!) until 3 days ago becaue the wait would have been unbearable. Only two more days!

I couldn't stop myself and watched the first 10 minutes that are up. Looks utterly fantastic.

Edited by Detsl, May 17, 2009 @ 2:38 PM.

isiscloud

isiscloud

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 3:17 PM

I'm excited for this show but seems like a thin premise. I hope it can keep people's interest. Doesn't seem like something Fox would show.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things TV.

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 5:40 PM

I saw the pilot today. To give a nonspoilery review: maybe my expectations were too high but I didn't LOVE it. It was solid though, and seems like it could be good given some room to flesh out the characters and breathe a bit.

If Glee were a movie (the plot of which you can figure out... it's basically HSM give or take a few things), then they crammed the entire movie into the pilot, rather than let it unfold over the season. Which I respect because it gets things going, but it also means characters transformed in WAY too short a timespan and a lot of it felt kind of unbelievable, even in this clearly hyper-realistic and satirical world. I thought a lot of the jokes fell flat too and you could tell where they were TRYING to be Mean Girls/ Election-ish, but just missing the mark. (Most of the funnier moments were in the previews too, and few of the unseen moments and lines came close to those.)

But I actually forgot all my gripes with the show when it came to the final musical number, also spoiled in the previews, but which is much more impressive in its full-version glory. It was awesome and really showcased the talents of the cast. If every episode has one of those, I'll probably be a lot more forgiving of it.

Overall: 6/10, but still excited to see where things go, if FOX gives it a chance. And things can only get better without having to deal with the rushed/expository nature of almost EVERY TV show pilot, plus the amazing guest stars to come, right?

hgalve

hgalve

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2009 @ 7:07 PM

I saw the pilot as well and while I didn't LOVE it, I definitely liked it well enough to check it out again. I loved the musical numbers (especially the last one which made the episode for me) and I thought the cast was great and I enjoyed all the characters. I can't wait to see the rest of the episodes. I just wish I didn't have to wait so long.

Edited by hgalve, May 17, 2009 @ 7:40 PM.

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 1:02 AM

We gotta remember that they're going to air two different versions of the pilot. The one they show in the fall will be different than the one they show after American Idol.

Spy Idol

Spy Idol

Couch Potato

• Interests:All things TV.

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 1:57 AM

Really, niklj? Do you know how they will be different?

niklj

niklj

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 5:01 AM

No I don't know, I just remember reading it in an article somewhere. If I can find it I'll link it here.

Edit: Found it.

Fox will sell the episode on iTunes all summer and a different version of the pilot will air as the series premiere in the fall.

Edited by niklj, May 18, 2009 @ 5:06 AM.

Jr82

Jr82

Couch Potato

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 11:20 AM

Does anybody know if they will have to premiere episode up on fox's website after it airs? I have dvr taping conflicts and I just want to make sure I have a chance to see it.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 12:18 PM

I look forward to this, mostly because I'm a fan of a cappella. Hopefully this will hold up.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 2:51 PM

For those setting their DVRs for this & don't watch AI (I can't be the only one), make sure to add time on the end. AI runs long quite often & this is the final performance show. I'm recording another show overnight so I can have the extra 15 minutes ensuring I'll get the entire Glee pilot on my DVR.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 3:52 PM

Ryan Murphy was on Fresh Air on NPR today discussing the show and his high school days in Indianapolis

I cannot wait til tomorrow night.

bluroses

bluroses

Fanatic

Posted May 18, 2009 @ 9:44 PM

I watched the pilot and have to agree with others that I didn't love it, but I really liked it. The cast is obviously very talented* and I'm looking forward to the characters and SLs being fleshed out.

*They performed at FOX's Upfront presentation today and it seemed like they were lipsynching for the first part of the song. Then the mikes came on at the end. I can't figure out why it was done that way, but the part that was live was fantastic.

Edited by bluroses, May 18, 2009 @ 9:46 PM.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 5:19 PM

This kind of reminds me of a much funnier and much quirkier High School Musical.

Actually, HS Musical is arguably the copy, because the root elements of HS Musical were ripped off from a previous show done by the writer/producer of Glee.

Denebola

Denebola

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Well, I enjoyed it. I missed the first 11 minutes, but still, the characters are lovable. I don't see how they can deliver a performance every week this fall, but I'm definitely looking forward to watching them try.

CrumbyButtons

CrumbyButtons

Stalker

• Interests:Gardening

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Well, for heaven's sake! I really really enjoyed that! Haven't we all known these kids? The last few minutes gave me chills. Well, Don't Stop Believing" usually does! And they're going to take on Queen as well? Can't wait!

Edited by CrumbyButtons, May 19, 2009 @ 9:06 PM.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

Damn, I loved that final number. The rest ... eh. Not bad, not great.

Miss Mia

Miss Mia

Video Archivist

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

Okay, I'm hooked. I loved this!

I want one full song per episode - that's all I"m asking.

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

• Interests:Chicken wings, igloo building, loganberry, etc. (you know, Buffalo stuff)

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

Oh my goodness. I freaking love this show. I thought it was brilliantly written, amazingly cast, and just cheesy enough to be amazing. Jayma Mays is perfect in her role, and it is really early but I think I love that character. Jesalyn Gilsig somehow managed to make herself totally despicible without actually doing anything evil, and I think that is quite a talent. Everyone else is just wonderful.
This might be one of the best shows I have seen recently. I don't normally laugh out loud when I am watching TV but I did it about five times in the first five minutes. I don't think there is anything I would improve upon with the pilot. Every single second of it was perfectly written, paced, and performed right from the very beginning to the last shot. It is going to be a long summer!

I really really enjoyed that! Haven't we all known these kids? The last few minutes gave me chills. Well, Don't Stop Believing" usually does! And they're going to take on Queen as well? Can't wait!

I wrote out that it gave me chills, then I erased it before I posted because I was a little embarassed so thanks for that!

Edited by evilandproud, May 19, 2009 @ 9:08 PM.

mustbekarma

mustbekarma

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

Damn. That was awesome. Color me surprised. I'd watch it just for the music alone. Technically, this show is set in Lima, Ohio. I live 30 minutes away. I think I'm genetically predispositioned to love this show ; - )

If the fall episodes are as promising as this one, I think Fox could have a hit on its hands. What am I saying? I loved it, so that must be the kiss of death.

The last few minutes gave me chills. Well, Don't Stop Believing" usually does! And they're going to take on Queen as well? Can't wait!

As long as they're willing to pay for the music rights, I think this show could be a success. The tweeners and teenagers know this music because their fortysomething parents listened to this music. This really could be a cross-generational show.

Edited by mustbekarma, May 19, 2009 @ 9:11 PM.

orangepenguin

orangepenguin

Fanatic

• Interests:You know.. penguin stuff.

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

It just got over, and I must say, I really like it. One of the better new scripted shows I have seen lately. That being said, I hope it doesn't get canceled, and I hope to remember to watch it come this fall.

I think the show was really well-casted. All the characters were very likable. I think my favorite is Jayma Mays, but have always liked her. I saw it in a preview a few weeks ago, but I loved the Amy Winehouse Rehab musical number. I hate the song normally, but as a group song a capella, it really worked well, and was hilarious. I would've been impressed with DSB had I have not heard it a million times during the Idol season.

Fall preview: Looks good. Glad they are doing more songs, classic (Queen) and current (lol @ Kanye).

The cheerleading coach is a good villain, and I really like the dynamics. I bet the show will be better once it is done setting everything up and get just get to the music and humor.

ETA: evilandproud! Doesn't Jayma remind you of Allison (from ANTM), kind of?

Edited by orangepenguin, May 19, 2009 @ 9:09 PM.

Adammo88

Adammo88

Fanatic

• Interests:Music (especially matchbox twenty, Maroon 5, Heather Headley, a few of the AI alums, and Mariah Carey - shut up), tennis, and ranting about television shows (duh)

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

That premiere was cheesy, unrealistic, cliched, pie-in-the-sky, and reminded me of some sort of Saved By the Bell: The Musical! production or a United Colors of Benetton ad.

And I loved every damn minute of it.

EmbiggenedSoul

EmbiggenedSoul

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2009 @ 9:11 PM

Love, love, loved it! What can I say? It was totally awesome to me - cheesy with singing and dancing and a very very likeable cast. The lead girl is UNBELIEVABLE. Her voice was awesome.

Plus, any show with Jane Lynch is instantly 75% funnier.

My only major quibble is how frickin' spoilery the promo for the full season was. Arrrghhh! Stuff I wish I hadn't known!