Old Glee Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1406 replies to this topic

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 3:13 AM

Search engine didn't find a topic for this, and I'm surprised. It's been getting a LOT of facetime via commercials during American Idol.

On the surface it just sounds like its another riff on High School Musical. The difference is that it seems to be aiming for something a bit more serious. Better stars, (hopefully) better writing, and from the previews at least, apparently its tongue planted firmly in its cheek.

It was a toss up whether to put this in the Sitcoms area or here, but since it seems to be a "Dramedy" more than a "Comedy", this seemed closer.

Here's FOX.com's area for it: http://www.fox.com/glee/

Here's the extended (4 minutes plus) preview: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=NNU0KoBIIdE

There's a ton of cliche (although a good deal of it seems intentional--and I think they intend to mock some of those cliches), and creator Ryan Murphy can be pretty hit or miss, but "Popular" was pretty good in its own way, and I think this is aiming in that direction more than H.S. Musical.

I can also see some "Freaks and Geeks" influence, and maybe from the junkpile more than a bit of "Bring It On".

The singing, by the way, is not willy nilly anywhere, but appears to actually only happen when someone might actually be singing in real life (in the shower, at Glee practice, in a Glee performance, etc.).

The cast is pretty impressive. Instead of going for Disney graduates, they're going for a few actual Broadway stars. Our protagonist, the teacher, Will Schuester (played by Matthew Morrison) came to us via "Hairspray". The Tracy Flick-ish discovery he uncovers at the school, Rachel Berry, is played by Lea Michele, from the mega-Broadway hit Spring Awakening (who's been on Broadway since she played the younger version of Cosette in the mid-1990s cast of Les Mis--I actually saw Les Mis when she was there and I recall her quite clearly). And the guest star list? Already I've seen acknowledgments that Victor Garber and Kristen Chenoweth will be appearing, as well as an ongoing role (the evil, if somewhat cliched, Cheerleading coach) played by Jane Lynch.

It's being given a prime premiere spot: Tuesday May 19th at 9PM, in a spot normally occupied by American Idol. This may actually be a smart move if some of that fandom spills over and watches.

Edited by Snark Shark, Apr 21, 2009 @ 4:02 AM.

Zombie Boogie

Zombie Boogie

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 3:38 AM

When I first watched the preview, I thought to myself that it definitely had shades of Popular (especially with the jock joins the school musical plot). Not surprised to find out Ryan Murphy is the creator. If the show can have the comedic flair that Popular had, particularly in its first season, Glee could be comedy gold. The trailers look good and it seems to have potential. I hope it gets a chance. I was pretty much sold when they used "Don't Stop Believing."

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 4:09 AM

You know, I JUST realized that the character of Rachel Berry, in the trailer, is singing (in her own words) "On My Own, from the seminal Broadway hit Les Mis". The irony being that the actress, Lea Michele, first broke out on Broadway IN THAT SHOW. Not as the character who sings that song, but even still...

Clever.

I thought to myself that it definitely had shades of Popular (especially with the jock joins the school musical plot)

And didn't High School Musical (2006) actually steal THAT from Popular (1999)? Of course most people are going to forget (or not know that) and accuse Ryan Murphy of being the copycat, not Disney.

nme525

nme525

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 4:32 AM

And didn't High School Musical (2006) actually steal THAT from Popular (1999)? Of course most people are going to forget (or not know that) and accuse Ryan Murphy of being the copycat, not Disney.

Yep, Josh went out for the school musical without telling anyone and it became this big deal when the show took place on the same night as the big game and he had to choose. And the Glamazons were going to get their funding cut if he didn't play in the game. I loved that show.

Edited by nme525, Apr 21, 2009 @ 4:32 AM.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 9:59 AM

EW's Tim Stack liked the pilot.

And I was wrong. It's apparently not IN Idol's slot, it's airing AFTER Idol. It's airing right after the Final Idol performance night. Which is probably the single best lead-in all year.

If the show can have the comedic flair that Popular had, particularly in its first season, Glee could be comedy gold.

That's a hard standard to meet, even for the guy responsible for Popular. Perhaps, for FOX, he has to shoot for a bit simpler.

"Glee Club Sign Up Below

Gaylord Weiner
Butt Lunch

Penis"

It's crude, but it DOES so fit the "stupid jocks who aren't even smart enough to actually think of something clever to mock Glee club" vibe.

NY Post is behind the show too. Oddly enough, so far none of these TV columnists seem to remember Popular. If they mention Ryan Murphy its in the context of the far less "matchy" (but far more... er... "popular") Nip/Tuck.

Edited by Snark Shark, Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:04 AM.

Misslindsey

Misslindsey

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 5:10 PM

You know, I JUST realized that the character of Rachel Berry, in the trailer, is singing (in her own words) "On My Own, from the seminal Broadway hit Les Mis". The irony being that the actress, Lea Michele, first broke out on Broadway IN THAT SHOW. Not as the character who sings that song, but even still...

When I saw a preview for this show, I was going to give it a try, because I have seen Lea Michele way too many times in Spring Awakening. I am a big Spring Awakening fan, especially of the original cast.

The trailers look fun, and I am a sucker for anything musical-ish.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 6:11 PM

Snark Shark said:

It's being given a prime premiere spot: Tuesday May 19th at 9PM, in a spot normally occupied by American Idol.

I don't believe the show is pre-empting American Idol, as your comment perhaps implies. The way I understand it is, Glee gets the American Idol timeslot as its permanent home the week after the current American Idol season ends (American Idol will run its natural course this season, then Glee will take over the timeslot once this season's American Idol finale airs).

Edited to Add:

Snark Shark also said:

You know, I JUST realized that the character of Rachel Berry, in the trailer, is singing (in her own words) "On My Own, from the seminal Broadway hit Les Mis".

I've always seen a female character sing Out Here On My Own, from Fame, in the promo. Is it possible there's another promo out there?

Edited by BW Manilowe, Apr 21, 2009 @ 6:16 PM.

Strega

Strega

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 7:35 PM

Definitely hard to classify, but the show's looking more comedic than dramatic, so I'm sliding this over to Sitcoms & Other Yucky Stuff.

Fabrisse

Fabrisse

Stalker

• Interests:Heroes, Stargate SG-1, Smallville, Criminal Minds, Eureka, House, Good Eats

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 7:39 PM

I saw an ad for this, and it has Jane Lynch. I'll give it a watch just for her.

PreviouslyOnTV

PreviouslyOnTV

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 8:08 PM

Definitely hard to classify, but the show's looking more comedic than dramatic, so I'm sliding this over to Sitcoms & Other Yucky Stuff.

What makes this different from Psych? That is in drama and both shows are one hour comedies.

Edited by PreviouslyOnTV, Apr 21, 2009 @ 8:10 PM.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

I don't believe the show is pre-empting American Idol, as your comment perhaps implies.

Had that covered by:

And I was wrong. It's apparently not IN Idol's slot, it's airing AFTER Idol. It's airing right after the Final Idol performance night. Which is probably the single best lead-in all year.

This part (about its permanent timeslot) I hadn't known though. I only knew about the Premiere, which as I said, has the AmIdol performance Finale as a lead in.

Glee gets the American Idol timeslot as its permanent home the week after the current American Idol season ends

What makes this different from Psych? That is in drama and both shows are one hour comedies.

Perhaps it goes where-ever "Popular" lives, since the "mix" seems pretty similar (other than the addition of singing). I can appreciate how hard this is to classify though. The mere presence of Jane Lynch kind of tosses this into the comedic basket, doesn't it?

I've always seen a female character sing Out Here On My Own, from Fame, in the promo. Is it possible there's another promo out there?

Go watch the extended 4 1/2 minute preview I link to in the first post of this topic. Skip right up to the 1:01 mark if you are impatient, and there you go--"Rachel Berry" talking about "the seminal classic Les Mis" and singing "On My Own" (NOT the song from Fame).

PreviouslyOnTV

PreviouslyOnTV

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 8:17 PM

The mere presence of Jane Lynch kind of tosses this into the comedic basket, doesn't it?

I wouldn't be so sure. :D

Teitr Styrr

Teitr Styrr

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

There has already been a case made that "Pysche" should be in this category, which is like 2 posts back. Hmm, you made both posts....so, I'm not sure what to say. I'm actually dumbfounded. Oh crap, I just got it, you are saying it might should be in Dramas. Now I'm arguing with myself, and I am REALLY dumbfounded. heh. I think both should probably be in comedies, but that's just me.

Anywho, I am very much looking forward to this. I can't stop watching the 4 minute youtube thingy. This is the first thing that made me thing of doing something illegal to watch the first episode. I won't though, promise. Mostly.

Edited by Teitr Styrr, Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:18 PM.

gleeman

gleeman

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 11:25 PM

This show looks so amazing!!! I am totally obsessed. I can't wait. We have to wait at least 5 months till the show actually premiers. I cant wait till may 19th!

Anyway, i did a little digging and found the pilot script! So if you are as obsessed as I am and want to see the script of the pilot then you can message me and i'll give you the link. Unless i can just post it right here, but i dont want to get into trouble, so tell me if i can post the link here!

This show looks so amazing!!! I am totally obsessed. I can't wait. We have to wait at least 5 months till the show actually premiers. I cant wait till may 19th!

Anyway, i did a little digging and found the pilot script! So if you are as obsessed as I am and want to see the script of the pilot then you can message me and i'll give you the link. Unless i can just post it right here, but i dont want to get into trouble, so tell me if i can post the link here!

xglam

xglam

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 9:04 AM

I am way too into this show considering I've only seen clips and previews. A poster from Ohnotheydidnt has compiled a bunch of new articles and a behind the scenes clip. So looking forward to the songs they're picking!

Edited by xglam, Apr 24, 2009 @ 10:14 AM.

Unraveled

Unraveled

Fanatic

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 10:19 AM

I'm excited about this too. What can I say? I love the singing. I also very much enjoy Matthew Morrison. (Make him sing too, please.)

It's interesting that Fox is giving this the pimp slot. I'm hoping it will do well.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:00 PM

I'm a sucker for Journey. They had me at the first trailer.

I had been trying to place Matthew Morrison's face. According to IMDB, he's been in a few movies - all of which I have seen and have thoroughly entertained me - but I still can't remember his exact roles. No quotes or anything. I'll definitely watch, though.

He did strike me a secret Masterson brother, since they starred on other Fox shows (That 70's Show, Malcolm in the Middle). The resemblance is kind of random.

Edited by YellowOctober, Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:01 PM.

gleeman

gleeman

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:08 PM

I will literally go punch everyone at FOX in the balls if they cancel this.

YellowOctober

YellowOctober

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:11 PM

I will literally go punch everyone at FOX in the balls if they cancel this.

Haha! Well, hopefully they don't so you don't have to. FOX never gives the offbeat shows I like a chance to fly, it seems. I'm still mourning Andy Richter and Oliver Beene.

Neelia5

Neelia5

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 1:47 PM

As someone who has seen Sister Act II eleventy thousand times, you can count me in the "Excited for this!" column. I'm a sucker for high school singers makin' it happen.

gleeman

gleeman

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 4:42 PM

Haha! Well, hopefully they don't so you don't have to. FOX never gives the offbeat shows I like a chance to fly, it seems. I'm still mourning Andy Richter and Oliver Beene.

Yep. Which is why i am very scared that we'll only get to see the pilot.

OK, i'm getting very bored. I am considering searching the internet for places to download the pilot! Gahh i pretty much want to be on this show,

Anyone own a time machine?

I almost forgot to mention.......

JANE LYNCH!!!!

Also, does anyone have the clip where they are interviewing everyone and Mercedes (Amber Riley) throws a rock through the window of the car. And Finn (Monteith) gives away too much of the plot?

Can you post the link if you have it please?

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2009 @ 10:46 AM

It's interesting that Fox is giving this the pimp slot. I'm hoping it will do well.

Probably the best pimp spot in history. Linked the Idol finale? Wow.

Of course then there's a HUGE cool off period after that. Will people even remember it by next fall?

More tidbits.

--Victor Garber's role? Will's (our teacher character) father. Will's mother? Tony award winner Debra Monk. In other words, ANOTHER person who can sing.
--Kristin Chenoweth is playing someone named April Rhodes.
--Another guest star: Tony Award winner John Lloyd Young (he played Frank Valli in the show "Jersey Boys"). He's going to be a wood shop teacher, who, gasp! Can sing.

================================

So far, the following actors involved in this show have either won, or at least been nominated for a Tony Award.

1.) Kristin Chenoweth - won for "You're a Good Man, Charlie Brown". Nominated for "Wicked".
2.) John Lloyd Young - won for "Jersey Boys".
3.) Victor Garber - Nominated for "Deathtrap", "Lend Me A Tenor", "Damn Yankees" and "Little Me".
4.) Matthew Morrison - Nominated for The Light in the Piazza.
5.) Debra Monk - won for "Redwood Curtain". Nominated for "Picnic", "Steel Pier" and "Curtains".

Lea Michele, as well known as she is for "Spring Awakening" has never been nominated, although of course the show got 11 nominations and won 8. Jenna Ushkowitz, the Asian girl we see in the Glee promos, was apparently an understudy in "Spring Awakening", so she's no stranger to Broadway either.

So this is all a pretty good response to the "why is this better than High School Musical" question if someone asks and you don't feel like explaining the whole link to "Popular" and how Ryan Murphy came up with that jock in a musical plot first. Just talk about the talent involved.

Edited by Snark Shark, Apr 25, 2009 @ 11:03 AM.

memememe76

memememe76

Stalker

Posted Apr 25, 2009 @ 10:55 AM

In FOX's entire lifetime, the only shows I ever watched with any regularity were 90210 and Melrose Place. I enjoy Fringe, but forget it's ever on because I don't watch FOX the rest of the weeek.

I will be watching Glee because I loved Popular. Please have Mary Cherry play a special ed teacher!

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2009 @ 7:44 AM

Interview with Jane Lynch: http://thetvaddict.c...and-party-down/

I love this part, about the show's plans for Kristin Chenoweth.

Q: Did you get to work with Kristen Chenoweth (who is guest starring in GLEE’s sixth episode)
A: I didn’t get to work with her but I just love her. We gave each other signed autographed pictures of each other which is a long story that goes back to Lainie Kazan giving her one out of eh blue. She’s a huge talent and we were so lucky to get her on the show, as she really brings up our credibility.

Q: I hear she plays the opposite of her perky adorable self.
A: She plays a drunk, Glee club has-been who is squatting in a McMansion in town. But she’s still go the voice and the moves and really shows the kids how to put on a show.

Also, I love that Lynch isn't as magically enamored of DWTS, like some folks (I have no idea why the interviewer even asked her about this).

Q: Have you been watching DANCING WITH THE STARS?
A: No, that stuff makes me so uncomfortable

Q: So you’d never want to be a contestant?
A: Hopefully my career will never be at a point where I need to go on it.

Q: Ouch! There’s no shame in appearing on a Top 10 Show and there is always one funny star.
A: Oh yes there is and that funny star won’t be me.

Q: As an actress, do you resent reality TV for taking away jobs from talented actors.
A: No. Unlike Sue Sylvester I try not to have any resentments in my life. I don’t lie in bed at night and go, “Reality TV is destroying my career!”

eljae

eljae

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 26, 2009 @ 6:21 PM

I am also very excited for this show. I saw Lea grow up on Broadway in Les Miz, Ragtime and Spring Awakening. I hope this show brings her even more fame.

I was also in glee club in High School. :)

msmplm

msmplm

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2009 @ 7:19 PM

3.) Victor Garber - Nominated for "Deathtrap", "Lend Me A Tenor", "Damn Yankees" and "Little Me".

For what it's worth - he also played Jesus in the film version of Godspell. He can sing.

There was a two second shot in the trailer - while at the competition - with someone holding what looked to be a program with the name Carmel High School on it. Anyone know if that is the Carmel High School north of Indianapolis? Because they, and my son's high school, have gone back and forth for years as state champs in show choir competition. Both schools have won national competitions as well. Would be pretty cool if it is.

Raid Maze

Raid Maze

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2009 @ 10:28 PM

The Fox promo department has got me. Man. Seriously, everytime I hear that Journey cover, I get this big grin on my face. And I am a sucker for a good highschool misfit story. I hope this show makes it because I know I'm going to love it.

TropGirl

TropGirl

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 29, 2009 @ 1:14 PM

I think I'm obsessed with this show, and it hasn't even aired yet. The promos are fantastic, the cast looks adorable, and it looks like the right balance of snark and sweetness.

My favorite promo is one where Lea Michele asks Jayma Mays if she has ever had an intense crush, and then cuts to JM sobbing hysterically in her car over Will. I'm also loving Will's wife and her strenous work schedule of 12 hours a week, and anything involving Jane Lynch. Jane Lynch makes everything better. I smile whenever I think of her in 40-Year-Old Virgin or Role Models.

gleeman

gleeman

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 29, 2009 @ 5:33 PM

My favorite promo is one where Lea Michele asks Jayma Mays if she has ever had an intense crush, and then cuts to JM sobbing hysterically in her car over Will

I haven't seen this preview yet, can you give me a link please?

evilandproud

evilandproud

Stalker

• Interests:Chicken wings, igloo building, loganberry, etc. (you know, Buffalo stuff)

Posted Apr 29, 2009 @ 7:41 PM

The Fox promo department has got me. Man. Seriously, everytime I hear that Journey cover, I get this big grin on my face. And I am a sucker for a good highschool misfit story. I hope this show makes it because I know I'm going to love it.

I made an hour long playlist solely consisting of that promo on youtube and I cleaned my house to it today. I think I got that out of my system
I don't know how I feel about the decision to air one episode of a show premiering in the fall in May, but I am still excited about it.