3-19: "The Ones" 2009.04.23 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

148 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 12:54 AM

From NBCUMV.com:

JACK (ALEC BALDWIN) AND ELISA (GUEST STAR SALMA HAYEK) THINK SERIOUSLY ABOUT THEIR ENGAGEMENT AND JACK SEEKS ADVICE FROM TRACY (TRACY MORGAN) ABOUT THE REALITY OF MARRIED LIFE.
Jack (Baldwin) decides his commitment to Elisa (guest star Hayek) is serious enough to go shopping for an engagement ring with Liz (Tina Fey). Tracy (Morgan), ironically, is the one Jack turns to for advice on how to deal with the pressures of married life. Meanwhile, Elisa divulges to Liz she is keeping a secret. When a prank results in an injury back at “TGS,” Jenna (Jane Krakowski) loses her cool over an attractive EMT. Also stars Jack McBrayer, Judah Friedlander and Keith Powell.

Box305

Box305

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

My favorite quote was: How are you so quiet when your parades are so loud? Because wow is that true ;-)

Edited by Box305, Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:00 PM.

Seekritwannabee

Seekritwannabee

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:01 PM

When Kenneth first passed out, did he say his real name is Dick Whitman? I love that.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

I can't believe they brought up the old "how to tell if you're a sociopath" email forward thing! That is ancient. Like, flying toasters screensaver ancient.

"I heard you singing 'Night Cheese.'"

Edited by JessicaLovejoy, Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:10 PM.

leo26

leo26

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:06 PM

When Kenneth first passed out, did he say his real name is Dick Whitman? I love that.

Yes, he did. "Strawberries?! My real name is Dick Whitman!" As a Mad Men fan who started watching 30 Rock to see Jon Hamm, that was probably my favorite part. Does anyone know what he said the second time he was strawberried?

Also I loved the Snuggie references (although that wasn't what they called it..) "it's not product placement! I just like it!"

I came to like Elisa more and more as her original arc went on.. but overall I'm happy to know she's gone for good now.

Edited by leo26, Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:08 PM.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

Ok ep... Jenna's storyline was the only real enjoyable one. Just the right amount of Kenneth. Lately I've felt like they've been overusing him.

I'm going to be singing "Workin' on the night cheese..." all day tomorrow.

nazgulhunter

nazgulhunter

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

The Slanket is a real product; it's a more expensive Snuggie.

http://www.theslanket.com/

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

BRIAN WILLIAMS! Oh show, you just made me love you more. (I'm surprised they didn't use his penchant for bird seed though.)

"No judgment in brainstorming" is something I will have to use soon.

GummyBearPicnic

GummyBearPicnic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

"Slanket" is also a funnier word than "Snuggie." Of course Liz would want one.

I loved, "If I have strawberry, my throat shuts up faster than a girl in math class."

How was Jenna going to end her contribution of, "Her throat shuts up faster than a Filipino at a...?"

Trikywu

Trikywu

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:19 PM

Kenneth: "My real name is Dick Whitman..."

Oh, how this Mad Men fan laughed her ass off. Great episode.

"Don't you have a Slanket to go fill your farts with?"

This show never disappoints.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:20 PM

I am still laughing at Lutz running into the wall and having the monitor fall on him.

"Night Cheese" I would love the full lyrics to that.

Elisa's line to Liz about how she should go and start farting in her slanket was hilarious.

And as an Ohioan, I appreciated the Kent State reference.

DandelionWine

DandelionWine

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:23 PM

I not only enjoyed the Mad Men reference but I also enjoyed the Battlestar Galactica reference of the "What the Frak" shirt.

GummyBearPicnic

GummyBearPicnic

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:26 PM

And as an Ohioan, I appreciated the Kent State reference.

The Kent State reference was so inappropriately funny that I decided not to do the math on Liz's grandfather.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:30 PM

I didn't like this episode very well. I am glad that plot with Jack being engaged/semi-engaged is over. I felt like the writers couldn't find a good way out of it and came up with a C grade sitcom plot to do it. The best line, though, was when she asked Liz if she wanted to see her naked. "Kind of" ANd I did like her coming back out to take the cheese plate.

I also didn't find it believable that Tracy has never cheated on his wife. It was OK, still had its moments, but not a memorable episode overall

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:32 PM

The Kent State reference was so inappropriately funny that I decided not to do the math on Liz's grandfather.

I started doing it before I could stop myself...It's not impossible; allowing for 30 years between generations, he'd have been about 60.

Anyway, I was meh on the whole Elisa arc and am glad to see it concluded. I knew her exit would be sort of absurd and WTF, but this was really unbelievable--no way would Jack Donaghy propose to someone without a thorough background investigation, let alone a cursory Google search.

Arkay

Arkay

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:42 PM

Does anyone know what he said the second time he was strawberried?

He said "Earn This," from Saving Private Ryan.

Bachmann

Bachmann

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:44 PM

OK, who has a HDTV and knows Spanish? I want to know what it said on that green-colored website!

Mmmm, Sno Balls - I like the pink ones.

NewCoke

NewCoke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:46 PM

Anyone know what Griz's line about brainstorming was?

zapdsl

zapdsl

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 9:56 PM

Anyone know what Griz's line about brainstorming was?

I think it was "There's no judgment in brainstorming."

Babalooie

Babalooie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 10:11 PM

If you remember, Tracy and Jimmy wore the Slankets (or Sunggies)on the Jimmy Fallon Show the first week that it aired. Then the whole audience and band put them on. Must be a running joke.

Neelia5

Neelia5

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 10:17 PM

I really laughed at the blue-on-green website.

Both my Spanish and my TV are not muy bueno, but I didn't catch anything too noticeable. It said (paraphrased) The Black Widow killed her husband, she is very pretty but very dangerous. Do not trust her. Do not look her in the eye, do not touch her without permission, that kind of thing. Very possible I missed something though.

Love DotCom in this episode. "So yeah, I guess I'm an idiot."

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 10:38 PM

At least by putting the tattoo on Tracy's back, we won't be wondering where it is during all the inevitable shirtless scenes yet to come...

mekkio

mekkio

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

My favorite quote was: How are you so quiet when your parades are so loud? Because wow is that true ;-)

Parades, family gatherings, funerals. I have to wear earplugs whenever I visit the family. (And even then I can still hear them.)

I would have never guessed in a million years that they would be able to slip in a "Saving Private Ryan" joke but I stand corrected. And, 30 Rock, I love you for it.

Tina Fey in a Slanket is quite possibly the cutest thing this show has come up with. Right up there with Kenneth's Muppet vision. Especially when she snuck back into the room for her night cheese. I went, "Awwwww."

varcinie

varcinie

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 11:03 PM

La Viuda Negra!

I was going to wonder about having such difficulty finding someone at NBC who could translate Spanish, but I'm gonna guess that's pretty true to life. Because...yeah. Not fantastic Spanish, there.

A Little Edgy

A Little Edgy

Fanatic

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 11:34 PM

I was going to wonder about having such difficulty finding someone at NBC who could translate Spanish, but I'm gonna guess that's pretty true to life. Because...yeah. Not fantastic Spanish, there.

Hilariously and, I assume, intentionally bad Spanish. Some of it seems to be a literal, word-for-word translation of idiomatic English. There's no way they didn't do that on purpose.

bitey

bitey

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 11:58 PM

The Pranksmen and their feathered fedoras cracked me up. And this is at least the second time that Liz has said something nice about her staff, only to have Jack open her office door so that she can see what they're really up to.

"I'm just a girl, standing in front of the guy she poisoned..."

BigPaul25

BigPaul25

Fanatic

• Interests:Television (well, duh), amateur bartending, stand-up comedy, karaoke (sober).

Posted Apr 23, 2009 @ 11:59 PM

Oh the idea of Brian Williams gettin' freaky!

BTW, did Frank's Pranksmen's hat say "Fedora?"

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:08 AM

I loved the Jenna storyline. She had my favorite moments in this episode. First, the way she eyed Pete when she was leaving his office, and then, when the Pranksmen were pranking her, she first said "Is that a thing?" just as I was thinking it. And I loved the Pranksmen.

What did the hat Frank was wearing at the beginning of the episode say?

Edited by janie jones, Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:08 AM.

seamster

seamster

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:21 AM

BTW, did Frank's Pranksmen's hat say "Fedora?"

Yes. He put it on top of his "FLOWERS" hat.

Where can I get that "What the frak?" shirt Elisa was wearing?

nazgulhunter

nazgulhunter

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 24, 2009 @ 12:43 AM

One of the guys who sang the Viuda Negra song looked eerily similar to Zach Braff