2-21: "Chuck Versus The Colonel" 2009.04.20 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

284 replies to this topic

bender12

bender12

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:03 PM

CHUCK AND SARAH RISK EVERYTHING TO FIND CHUCK’S FATHER— TONY HALE (“ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT”), CHEVY CHASE AND SCOTT BAKULA (“QUANTUM LEAP”) GUEST STAR—When Chuck (Zachary Levi) and Sarah (Yvonne Strahovski) go AWOL to rescue Chuck's father Steve (guest star Scott Bakula), they discover that spending time together without any surveillance allows for unchartered chemistry. But as the two get closer, Casey (Adam Baldwin) zeroes in on their hidden location. Meanwhile, Morgan (Joshua Gomez) becomes the pariah of the Buy More after mistakenly getting Emmett (guest star Tony Hale) promoted. Sarah Lancaster, Ryan McPartlin, Scott Krinsky, Vik Sahay, Julia Ling and Mark Christopher Lawrence also star.

If NBC cancels this, I'm going to cut someone. That was awesome.

Edited by TWoP Mars, Apr 26, 2009 @ 12:02 PM.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:06 PM

Even better than buying Subway sandwiches? Go buy a Honda to show your support! Really!

And that WAS awesome. In EVERY way.

moneymaker

moneymaker

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

Morgan can now add cock blocker to his resume!

That was all kinds of awesome.

johnleemk

johnleemk

Loyal Viewer

I just want to see how they resolve the intersect-less Chuck...

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Best. Episode. Ever!

I can't believe how much happened in this episode, and every second of it was wonderful. I can't even process how many things changed forever in this one hour.

I'm so, so glad that Casey came through in the end. I was getting worried. And Devon came through, too! Awesome is awesome. Seeing everything come together at the end made me so happy.

shootingstar

shootingstar

Fanatic

• Interests:Watching to much damn TV, of course!

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:08 PM

I'm going with this thread since it was made earlier (if only by a minute!).

Best. Episode. Ever!

That's what I was thinking during the episode.

I don't even know where to begin!!
This was like the best fanfiction except with out actual Charah sex. But everything else was pretty damn, well, Awesome.

One random thing I picked-up - Devon got to use his football move from the Christmas/hostage episode!

Edited by shootingstar, Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:12 PM.

Dezdemona

Dezdemona

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:08 PM

That was excellent! Every single minute of it. Especially loved Awesome's reaction to Chuck's secret and of course, the air strike. Great episode. This series must survive!

Edited by Dezdemona, Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:09 PM.

CJohnson

CJohnson

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:09 PM

That was like the perfect episode. Loved how Casey came around, and how they managed to do it in a way that had him stay true to his character. Chuck and Sarah was so perfect. Loved how they laid out Awesome finding out about what was going on. Very funny. Even with everything about the main plot being great I enjoyed the Buy More stuff too. Just so much fun.

Edited by CJohnson, Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:12 PM.

Double D

Double D

Channel Surfer

Wow. Just wow. I'll have to give myself a bit to even discuss particulars. Just a great episode.

GreenPhoenix

GreenPhoenix

Fanatic

I actually liked Jeff as a bodyguard and a stalker.

I agree this was an incredible episode. Everyone was great (though I kind of wish Ellie had a little more faith in Chuck).

Dooflegna

Dooflegna

Just Tuned In

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:10 PM

What an incredible episode! Part 1 of 2 in the evolution of Chuck! Chuck and Sarah! Casey! Awesome being awesome (and temporarily not-quite-so-awesome). Just an incredible episode.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:10 PM

I thought tonight was the finale. It would have been a perfect one if it had been. When they announced there's one more, I was shocked!

Casey came through in the end, but he really can't be trusted now.

It was awesome to see Awesome lose his cool.

Taking someone's last condom is very bad form.

kirinan

kirinan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:11 PM

Awesome. Awesome. Awesome. However, I want the Intersect back in Chuck's head (sorry, Chuck). But I knew Casey would come through! I loved his going to the rehearsal dinner--as a friend! That just made me smile happily. And I had a feeling Awesome would be the one to find out that Chuck's a spy (except, of course, now Chuck's not a spy any more. But I'm sure that won't last long).

And please, no deaths next week. I love everyone on this show too freakin' much; I just couldn't take it. Well, Roark can die. But that's it.

This show just HAS to be renewed. It simply gets better, and better, and better.

ETA: I want Chuck's hair to look like Zach's did in the Honda commercial. He looked fantastic in that, and I do feel like his hair is a little too out of control in the show now. It fit the old Chuck, but the grown-up Chuck needs a grown-up hair style.

Edited by kirinan, Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:33 PM.

jediknight

jediknight

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:11 PM

That was beyond awesome.

I loved the fact that one of the stores in the mall was named Underpants Etc. I loved all the Buy Moria stuff tonight, with the exception of Morgan leaving. Morgan's the grease in the cogs that is the machine Buy Moria. Buy Moria won't be the same without the little bearded one.

I also love that Awesome found out about Chuck, and he thought it was awesome. You've got to love his complete belief in Chuck, and his high five to Chuck.

Speaking of awesome, that's what Casey continues to be. And if I'm making a raid on someone, Casey is the second person I ask, right behind Michael Westen.

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:12 PM

Minus the fact that there was that part with Chevy Chase at the end plus the fact that I knew that there was one more episode, I felt up until that point that NBC was going to cut to black and say "Thanks for watching Chuck the series buy the complete series on DVD this summer." If it doesn't get renewed they should just cut out the last episode and that little bit at the end and it would feel like a complete series.

Captain Awesome finding out was completely great although he it seems would make about as good a spy as Chuck with his complete inability to cover well. I do really wonder where they are going to go with the Buy More plot next year as Jeff and Lester will not be enough to hold up that part of the plot and if Chuck truly has the Intersect out of his head I imagine him leaving the Buy More.

ETA: Roark is totally pulling a Ben with that whole "I am going to kill you daughter" stichk.

Edited by Roll the dice, Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:24 PM.

PotatoEgal

PotatoEgal

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:13 PM

I called my mother halfway through and asked, "Mom...can you be awesome?"

The show stepped it up tonight. Stepped it up. It's so wierd knowing Chuck doesn't have the intersect in his head anymore, but why do I feel it won't be for long?

I loved Casey tonight. Hurt, betrayed...then a bad-ass. Was very "in character" of him, and loved how his confrontation with Chuck near the end. Awesome.

Top Dog 12

Top Dog 12

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

Chuck isnt Chuck without the intersect in his head I say it goes back in, and if you got to kill someone off please let it be the Buy Morons.

ybrik

ybrik

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:15 PM

Awesome. I swear this show doesn't seem to be an hour long. It goes by too fast. This episode was just too good.

Too much to go into right now but really this show had little bit of everything. I need to watch it again a couple of dozen times to collect all my thoughts.

However, one thought right now is that I need more Casey/Awesome scenes.

AD35

AD35

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

This may be the best ep, with so many twists and turns. The fact that the promo for next week's ep said Season Finale gives me a glimmer of hope that the show will be renewed for a 3rd season. This may fall into the speculation area, but what if the intersect removal is only temporary? Would Chuck still be considered valuable for the info in his head? But getting back to the ep, Morgan was pretty good too, other than taking Chuck's only condom. But he redeemed himself with the homage to the climatic scene from An Officer And A Gentleman And Awesome's discovery of Chuck's secret, was well, awesome.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

Amazing that ANYTHING featuring Chevy Chase could actually be so perfect. It's one of those things that SHOULD implode the universe upon itself, and yet it hasn't. Then again, this is the show which somehow made Nicole Richie awesome, so why not Chevy Chase?

And come on... don't you want to buy a Honda now? Just a little? And even if you don't... that's someone else to write about the show besides Subway.

I wonder where this leaves Chuck and Sarah? I mean, once Chuck has to inevitably re-intersect himself to save his sister, or whatever close variation of that is coming. Yeah, that outcome is probably somewhat predictable, but certainly we trust this show enough by now to know they'll do that well, and THEN toss in some other twist on TOP of that.

And I liked how Awesome found out. They could have made it a weak "he sees something he shouldn't" subplot, but instead Awesome kind of... earned it. So... Awesome!

And Morgan? Big. Massive. Balls. I AM assuming this isn't the last we've seen of him, by the way. Even if the show is trying to cut costs by cutting down the cast, this wouldn't be the way to send him off. So he'll be back. Somehow.

Edited by Snark Shark, Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:20 PM.

shootingstar

shootingstar

Fanatic

• Interests:Watching to much damn TV, of course!

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

I've been waiting for someone to point out that Chuck can't just walk away even after being de-intersected. He still knows WAY too much.

And General Beckham - I officially want to drop kick you!

Oh, and DAMN you Morgan for cockblocking Charah sex. What kind of dude/friend takes the last condom and says nothing??

Edited by shootingstar, Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:21 PM.

Double D

Double D

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

And I liked how Awesome found out. They could have made it a weak "he sees something he shouldn't" subplot, but instead Awesome kind of... earned it. So... Awesome!

I agree completely. This was done so much better than just having him overhear something or see something he shouldn't. He found out because he was protecting his family, and Chuck immediately knew he could trust him. Because he is..well, you know.

sissykay

sissykay

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:21 PM

Great episode. I could have done without the vaginal infection joke but other than that it was perfect. And Awesome choked. Is this the first time?

frankdbunny

frankdbunny

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:21 PM

Awesome. I swear this show doesn't seem to be an hour long. It goes by too fast. This episode was just too good.

My thoughts exactly. I remember looking at the clock towards the end and thinking "It's almost over already?"

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:23 PM

Watching her with Awesome, I think Ellie might make a good spy. I think she's really tough as nails. Look at all she's handled, really. I know Sarah Lancaster has dewey eye syndrome, and in the past I really hated her in every role she took, but she's really won me over as Ellie. I think she somehow comes across as who Sarah would have been if Sarah hadn't been raised for intrigue.

Casey getting repeatedly knocked out (by Sarah, by Awesome) was the sort of thing that on another show I would have found irritating and out of character. But this show knows just how to parody itself and make it work.

Was the Benihana thing product placement?

kirinan

kirinan

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:24 PM

And Morgan? Big. Massive. Balls. I AM assuming this isn't the last we've seen of him, by the way. Even if the show is trying to cut costs by cutting down the cast, this wouldn't be the way to send him off. So he'll be back. Somehow.

I agree, Snark Shark. No way Morgan won't be part of the show somehow. It may take a couple of episodes into the third season (from my lips to God's ears), but he'll be back.

snoopyiscool

snoopyiscool

Video Archivist

I thought Chuck's expert swirling of his drink while telling Awesome everything was, well, awesome.

And yes, best episode evarr, even with Morgan's cheap IOU.

Bubbles53

Bubbles53

Channel Surfer

Well done, show!!

So much action packed into one hour! I looked at the clock when Chuck was spilling everything to Awesome and was so happy to see we still had another half hour. Especially loved that all Casey wanted was to be included. Aww!

Knowing that the fate of this great show hangs in the balance, it's still difficult to not become attached to the characters. Chuck is one of the very few shows that I would actually miss if it were to be cancelled.

Buy your Subway sandwiches next week! That'll be two sweet onion chicken teriyakis for Chez Bubbles.

Roll the dice

Roll the dice

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:29 PM

I thought Chuck's expert swirling of his drink while telling Awesome everything was, well, awesome.

I thought for a moment that there that Chuck/Casey/Sarah had put a tranq in the drink but Chuck had forgot about it. I know that there could be the possibility of death for one of the main characters next week, but I really don't want it to be Awesome. Chuck really needs someone from his pre-Intersect life to talk to about everything. Awesome can now serve as that character, plus it brings them together closer as brothers.

Spatzimaus

Spatzimaus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 8:31 PM

Awesome. (I'm sure everyone will be saying that, but it's still true.)

Seriously, absolutely great episode. Let's see... we had explosions, Chuck and Sarah gettin' busy, Morgan growing up, Awesome finding out the truth in a hilarious way, Casey redeeming himself, all of the guest stars doing great jobs... frankly, this episode would have made a pretty good series finale, not that I ever want this show to end.

I also loved that Jeff and Lester knew all about Casey (sort of), like the hidden compartment in his locker. Casey's just not as good at the sneaky stuff as Sarah.

And you know, for as much as people have joked about Chuck's inability to act like a spy, he's much better at keeping a secret than Awesome, Jeff, Lester...

(Also, yet another Spies Like Us reference, with the drive-in movie theater that has a secret base underneath! The writers must love that movie.)