7-16: 2009.04.21

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

331 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2009 @ 8:50 PM

BOB AND JILLIAN TAKE THE CONTESTANTS TO THE GROCERY TO LEARN HOW TO SHOP HEALTHY ON A BUDGET -- The contestants’ food and fitness knowledge is put to the test this week when Good Housekeeping Magazine’s editor in chief stops by for a trivia challenge that will give the lucky winner an all-expense paid trip to New York. Then contestants face a different kind of test when trainers Bob Harper and Jillian Michaels send them grocery shopping on a budget – and then critique their purchases. Later, a unique challenge tests each player’s balancing skill, and one contestant hits a big milestone at the weigh-in before a shocking elimination sends another player home. Alison Sweeney hosts the series.

TravestyTimes

TravestyTimes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 9:35 PM

Kristin says, while running on the treadmill while a video plays of her: "When I see the person I was, I don't recognize her."

I respond, while watching scenes of Kristin running then and running now: "I do. She looks exactly like the Kristin I see now."

Ron's reaction to Mike's comments about why did Ron let Mike and Max get so fat didn't seem sincere. It wasn't like he was actually accepting blame. Instead he said, "if you need someone to blame, blame me," which is sort of like saying, "I'm sorry if you are mad." It doesn't really acknowledge the problem. While I realize he mouthed the words, I didn't feel any accompanying emotions. Maybe Ron is so used to being a politician that he never sounds sincere, but he was awful emotionless for someone whose son was crying before him.

I thought Tara choosing the $10,000 was a sure sign that she did throw the weight loss last week, at least to a certain extent.

Felipe's jiggling the ropes and trashtalking during the challenge wasn't funny to me at all. I found it annoying and juvenile, which is how I find Felipe every episode. Can't you just see his stand-up comedy act? "Whoa!! You don't think I'm funny? It's because you are old! Like Helen!"

Felipe is looking handsome though. I also thought Kristin looked really good with her new hair.

I thought that the last comments Kristin made to Mike were absolutely bitchy. Why should he vote for Helen over her. It's not like he made her mom any promises. I also hate the allusion that Mike "isn't a man" if he doesn't do the brave but dumb thing? It was a sensible decision.

I thought her remarks about Ron knowing what was going on was spot-on though. I'm gaining some reluctant admiration for him. He is playing this game like a fiddle.

I will NOT MISS Kristin CONSTANTLY EMPHASIZING every OTHER word THAT she SAYS.

Edited by TravestyTimes, Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:21 PM.

pixie721

pixie721

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 9:38 PM

Grimace is gone!!!!!!!! Ding-dong, the witch is dead - at least, dead in the BL sense - and she's gone to the same afterlife as her mother. If you wondered why Kristin is hateable her reaction to being voted off is the reason why. Did she really need to call Mike a coward/pussy because he (rightfully) voted off his biggest obstacle? I think not. She bought tickets and packed his bags for a guilt trip; I hope he didn't join her on it. Nice on the outside, but bitter underneath.

I also loved how she implied that, while Ron didn't vote her off directly, he somehow had a hand in Mike's choice to vote her off. If Ron knew she was leaving, why would he care about keeping a promise to her?

She wasted no time getting another bad dye job and becoming a speaker. Aren't you all inspired? Aren't you all inspired by her unmitigated awesomeness?

I also hated it when she referred to herself in the third person. STFU Kristin.

Bean421

Bean421

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 9:39 PM

Forums don't fail us now! I'm *literally* begging you to live. RIP Kristen.

I was so excited to get some more information on the Ronfather family. I can't believe how Mom lost all that weight on her own. Good for her! I also appreciated Ron seemingly taking responsibility for the weight of his children.

Mikey, I want to love you, but please own your decisions. When you hide behind Daddy and act super smug it makes me not want you to win.

The video cam in Tara's room was a bit too much. I'm glad Jillian called her out on the theatrics. I'm sure she'll make the finals, but a win with her won't feel really that satisfying for me. She's a machine, but she just leaves me feeling empty. Maybe it's the fact that she's only been heavy for a couple of years or it just gets old seeing someone dominate so completely.

DustyGirl

DustyGirl

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 9:40 PM

How sweet was it that Ron and Mike couldn't whisper soft enough not to be heard by the microphones? It was Ron who couldn't be a man, not Mike.

Glad Kristin went home. Sick of her talking. Tara still rocks.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 9:48 PM

Oh Ron, how I hate thee…your slimy, dirty colors were shining through tonight.

In the end, I think Kristin got what she wanted – a job as a motivational speaker. People have been saying it here for weeks, and I cracked up when I saw her actually doing it. I only hope the chairs are comfortable, because she takes FOREVER to get out the simplest sentence. I’m wondering if next week’s show will be down to 30 minutes since she’ll be gone and they won’t have all her over dramatic filler anymore.
And she should have kept the darker hair, but I was glad to see it looked like all the other striped ladies in the family have toned that look down.

I love how everyone votes selfishly and eliminates threats (rightly so as it is a game), until THEY are on the chopping block and decide to get all sanctimonious. Mike was a coward for voting her out? Please. She would have done the same thing, eliminate the competition, especially if it’s not she trains with all day.

Kristin also kept acting like she had it won if she stayed in the house. If I’m not mistaken, Mike, Helen, and Tara were all beating her by a good amount. Yeah, she has a lot to lose still, but she had a long way to go to equal their percentages I think. Plus she’s been really working out the past two weeks and hasn’t had results. I think it was a combo of stress and not eating enough calories (and maybe some female issues too?).

Interesting that Mike’s mom was heavier and then lost a lot of weight about 7 or 8 years ago. Now I feel even worse for Max, since everyone in the family has done it but him. But at the same time, he needs to take control of it himself. It makes me sad that he doesn’t seem to have started at all (not that we know of anyway) and seems to just be waiting for his dad and brother.

And once again Felipe demonstrated that he can’t win anything outright. His method was not to try hard, but to try to make everyone else fail. And of course, it still didn’t get him anywhere. I did feel bad for Helen though, she was really trying and seemed genuinely upset that she didn’t win.

Tiger220

Tiger220

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:00 PM

Seriously, for most of the episode I was absolutely fine with Helen going home. Then Kristin had to go opening her big mouth again about how people who vote for her are cowards and it's time to see if Mike can finally stand up and be a man and she just feels so bad for him now -- as if voting for her indicates some giant moral deficiency -- and now I'm SO glad she's gone.

And she sounds just like every other motivational speaker on the planet...how is that motivational?

And duuuude. I knew Ron was godfathering it up, but I didn't quite expect to get proof of just how far he went.

HurriKaty

HurriKaty

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:04 PM

The joy of Grimace leaving killed the site. I like how she's a motivational speaker even though she's still over 200 pounds. Nice way of getting people to believe you.

Mike, man, I am still by default routing for you out of lack of likeable people who have a shot, and because you are quickly becoming super hot, but damn, he really is secretly as evil as Ron, isn't he? Kristin and her waaah, you eliminated me! bullshit was completely.. well, bullshit. She's done the same and played the game numerous times, but it gets played on her and she has to have some dramatic reaction all about her again.

Speaking of all about her, fucking THANK YOU Jillian. Finally someone calls Tara out on her self centered dog shit. Everything that happens to everyone just U Turns around about how it relates to her and how it makes her feel and boohoohoo, my life is so terrible even though I win everything! It's going to be hilarious when Mike beats her because she can't out weight loss Mike without chopping off her legs.

I'd love to root for Helen but she really doesn't have much left to lose.

Also, Filipe needs medication. I don't think he's all there.

KaliDoom

KaliDoom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:04 PM

Team....aw..crap. No one to root for :( Tara? Maybe. I loved how Helen was all "waaaah, waaah, hand it to me, Tara!" and Tara was all "No way, biatch. Remember the last 10K you took from me? How's that cookie taste right about now? I bet you woulda lost another pound without it!"

New Brunette

New Brunette

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:05 PM

once again Felipe demonstrated that he can’t win anything outright. His method was not to try hard, but to try to make everyone else fail.

But it worked when he got everyone else not to eat the soup, too!

Oh. Wrong show.

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:10 PM

Unless a player has NEVER gameplayed and never voted off "the biggest threat" to them, only then do they have the right to say they didn't take the easy way out. Kristen, remember Dane and Blaine? Sione? Big threats, and I'm fairly sure you voted for them to go home. You took the easy way out then, so STFU now.

I was more afraid Mike would follow along with Ron's wishes, but I'm glad that underneath all the weight, there lies a backbone. We'll see if Ron doesn't yank it out through Mike's nose while Mike sleeps.

On the other hand, I wonder if Ron didn't just gameplay Kristen in the "kindest" way possible. Yes, Ron promised he'd never write her name down, but he never promised that he wouldn't do what he could to ensure the others wouldn't write her name down. All along Ron has been about eliminating threats to MIKE, and I can't see that allowing the others to send Kristen home wouldn't ultimately benefit Ron and Mike.

ora42

ora42

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:11 PM

If you wondered why Kristin is hateable her reaction to being voted off is the reason why.

EXACTLY! If Kristin isn't in it for the money, why can't she lose weight at home? Does she really think she's going to learn stuff in the last two weeks that they're on campus that she doesn't know already? No, she just wanted to win and was mad to lose to Mike in the challenge and then to be voted off by him. Well, too bad! If you didn't want to get voted off, then lose more weight and stay above the yellow line (obviously, I'm not a Kristin fan!).

And I, for one, was proud of Mike for voting for Kristin and for saying he thinks he's going to win. He's been overweight all his life, and it's nice to see that he's getting a bit of self-confidence for a change. Jillian has been good for him!

avid_reader

avid_reader

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

OMG! One week of decent hair and the FIRST thing she does when she gets home is put those awful highlights back in!

I can't believe Helen was all "nothing touches you, does it?" when Tara wouldn't just LET her win! Whw should she let you win? And you SAID you just wanted the 1 pound - how are you going to split the 10K and keep the 1 pound advantage? ANd - Dude - no matter how much you are supporting me now, YOU are the one who cost me 5K earlier! I don't love Tara but I like her better than anyone else there. I would like Mike but his Daddy (and his Daddy issues) make him repellant at times.

And count me in with those who felt that Ron hardly sounded sincere when he was talking to Mike. "OK - If you need to blame someone you can blame me." Not that it's his fault of course, but as his dad he'll let Mike blame him anyway. Sheesh.

And Felipe should STFU.

milner

milner

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:12 PM

I was ambivalent about who should go home until Kristin said that Mike should "act like a man for once in his life" WTF does she know about his life? And keeping her would make him a man? Wow! And yes they are there to play for the money--AND to lose weight. Doing well at one can lead to the other. Why should Mike or anyone feel bad that they would like to win the prize being offered? Kristin, go home !

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

I was killing myself laughing during the challenge. I loved the trash talk. "This is an A to B conversation! C yourself to the door!" "What are you, 12?" I guess I'm 12, cause I thought it was hysterical.

I liked this Filipe a lot better than ranting, temper tantrum throwing Filipe. Jumping around like that is the kind of thing I'd do, but then I'm just a shit disturber.

I was almost thinking that Tara should let Helen win & then I remembered the cookie. Pay back's a bitch!

Just when I thought I couldn't hate Ron & Mike anymore, well... Please let both of them be below the yellow line next week.

The Ron/Mike confrontation was much ado about nothing.

MeInTheMiddle

MeInTheMiddle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:19 PM

I liked Kristin until her internal bitchiness came through tonight...then I was glad she was voted off. She didn't look much thinner in the "two months later" motivational speaking gig. It will be interesting to see her at the end, but she can't beat Tara, Mike or Nicole.

What I don't get is if Mrs Ronfather lost a bunch of weight 7 or 8 years ago, why didn't she help to change the eating habits of the entire family? Did Ron take the boys and go eat at McDonald's when she took the brown rice and vegetable casserole out of the oven? Why didn't ANYONE stop and notice that their two normal weight sons had become 400 pounds each? I guess I am not getting the dynamic there, although I AM glad that they are changing now for Max.

I love Tara and want her to win, but I don't understand why she is so friendly with Helen. Helen pretty much stole the $10K from her a few weeks ago by eating the cookie AND she certainly loaded her with weight on the car pulling challenge. Hello, Tara? NO ONE is your friend except Jillian. Everyone will unanimously vote you off if you go below the yellow line. Even Helen.

Mike has gotten quite studly. Yes, he is a baby, but still. He will be a cutie pie when he is older, and I hope he takes a girl to NYC with him.

Phillipe and Ron can go home now, anytime. I want a Mike/Tara finale, with Tara winning.

TroopDoop

TroopDoop

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:21 PM

Helen cries uuuugly. And she can STFU about "nothing touches" Tara. Tara owes her nothing, especially after Helen screwed her with the cookie. I'm definitely no Tara fan, but Tara won that challenge fair and square and Helen was a jerk to have eaten that cookie and taken then $10K away from Tara for no good reason.

Something must be very wrong in the universe if I was rooting for Tara to win a challenge.

And Ron is a slimy bastard. Haaaaaaaate. I'm not crying in my beer that Kristin's gone, although I'd rather see Helen go. (I can never forgive Helen for making her daughter go home. What mom could ever do that to her kid?) That said, Ron didn't just promise that he'd never write K's name down, he promised he'd have her back and he'd protect her.

I think he genuinely thought his conversation wouldn't be overheard. I'm glad people are going to realize what a jerk he is.

wghedges

wghedges

Couch Potato

• Interests:Scrapbooking, rubber stamping, knitting, pop culture, celebrity gossip, journalism, literature, cats, volunteer work

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:24 PM

Hate. Ron. HATE. HAAAAAAATE. DIE RON DIE.

OK, I apologize. I just had to get that out of my system. Now maybe I can form complete sentences.

Ron, you assface. Keeping the literal aspect of your promise =/= keeping your promise. You just further prove why you are such a repulsive human. Quit your passive-aggressive bullshit and grow a pair. If you want to vote Kristin off, write her name on your OWN piece of paper, instead of bending your son to your will.

And speaking of your son(s)? YES IT IS YOUR FAULT THAT THEY ARE FAT. You were a horrible role model. I know that it's hard to say, "Do as I say, not as I do," but good god. You could tell your kids, "Hey, look at how fat and unhealthy I am. Don't eat all of that fried chicken, because you'll end up like me." Instead, you just sat back and watched your sons eat their way into morbid obesity in their early teens, JUST LIKE YOU DID. I'm sorry, but that is basically child abuse to me.

And then when Mike confronts you about it, you refuse to accept the responsibility. First you try to somehow pawn it off on your wife. Then you're all, "Well, if you HAVE to place the blame somewhere, I guess I'll take it, even though blahblah excuses blah." This, after you totally dismissed your younger son on the makeover show, not even bothering to talk to him or try to understand why his heart is so broken.

I think my brain is bleeding.

KaliDoom

KaliDoom

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:28 PM

What really killed me was Ron going on and on about how "I promised Kristen's mom. I promised!" What.a.douche.

OOOH yeah, and Jillian and Tara's little sequence confused me. Jillian was saying "Stop being selfish and start focusing on YOU!" *head scratch*

Edited by KaliDoom, Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:34 PM.

TravestyTimes

TravestyTimes

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:30 PM

Incidentally, was anyone else surprised to hear that Jillian supported Mike voting off Laura last week? That wasn't broadcast in the last episode, was it? It had to have been delayed by the editing monkeys to create some drama last week in the vote, and revealed this week so that we could see Tara looking like Calvin (from Calvin and Hobbes) pouting, and Jillian looking like Calvin's dad, with her arms all akimbo, going "What are you thinking???"

SusieCue

SusieCue

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:34 PM

What is with these contestants expecting other people to just let them win? The worst, to me, was actually Kristen in the first challenge. I couldn't believe how badly she was sulking/pouting because Mike had the nerve to make a good estimate at the number of calories in the fish sandwich. How dare he win a challenge by doing well at it when *she* wanted to go to New York and shop?!

And that is the point at which I started actively rooting against Kristen.

barshi50

barshi50

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:35 PM

Thank You Jillian for calling out Tara on her selfishness and turning everything around so that it's about Tara. Not that I think Tara heard her.

Thank you Mike for finally making an elimination vote that makes sense. Enough of this "who needs to stay here the most". Although Helen's "I'm not ready to go home yet" grates because they ALL will be going home next week.

Did I read somewhere that Mike is going to Michigan State as pre-med? No wonder he wants to win the $250,000.

Two weeks to the finale.....FINALLY!!

HurriKaty

HurriKaty

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:37 PM

So if it's two weeks until the finale, are we not getting an America Votes this year? Is it just going to be a final four like back in the day? If so, it's probably for the best because no vote can outdo last year, where over 80% of America showed that they couldn't stand Ed and Hebapottamus.

babyblackcat

babyblackcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

I forgot about Helen and the cookie, costing Tara the money prize earlier. Guess she got her payback! And no one on this show owes each other anything when it comes to challenges, prizes, etc. They're all there for the same reasons!

The Mike and Ron conversation, while probably real at some level, seemed way too staged like everything else on this show. I don't think Ron was really hearing what Mike was saying, and I don't think he ever once said "I'm sorry." Had the cameras not been there, I really doubt he would have so graciously allowed Mike to place the blame on him. I think he's all about how he appears to others, that he always has to come out looking like the great father, the humble guy, etc.

HerLadyship

HerLadyship

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

Well, Bob has lost another season. Kristen was his only chance. Ron will throw the whole think before winning over Mike and I seriously doubt that Filipe can pull this off.

I was so happy to see Jillian go off on Tara. I was sad to see Laura go that week but, seriously, girl couldn't walk. She needed to go home. I was wondering last week if Jillian had orchestrated Laura's weight gain. Now that we know that she made sure that Laura would be voted off, I'm thinking she probably did.

Filipe is such as asshole. What purpose does shaking your cage do? It just wore you out faster, nitwit. Go home. Please, just go home.

What the hell was Kristin thinking at the elimination? You know that you are Mike's biggest competition. Why would he keep you? This is a game. It is a game about weight loss but it is a game, especially at the end. No one is about to keel over at this point. You have been on the ranch long enough to have the tools for long term weight loss. There is no reason not to be eliminating threats this week, unless someone has a stress fracture and cannot walk.

Though maybe Kristin doesn't have the tools for long-term weight loss. I was yelling at Kristin et al. right along with Bob when he was reviewing their food diary. Where were the fruits and veggies? Where were the carbs in the morning to get through the workout? Come on guys, I'm watching at home and I know better. Did they seriously just eat one of those little pizzas each? Do they really think that eating that little is sustainable?

Tivo said that one of the trainers was going to teach his/her team to shop on a budget. When did that happen?

Teapot37

Teapot37

Fanatic

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

Interesting that the promo copy (as seen in the first post in the thread) mentions a grocery-on-a-budget challenge, yet that was nowhere to be seen. I wonder if we'll get that next week of it's just dematerialized into the ether. Don't the people who write the descriptions for these shows actually, you know, watch them?

Pepperminty4132

Pepperminty4132

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:40 PM

OK, Ron never apologized to Mike. Way to be defensive. Yes, you suck as a parent. Jillian is totally right -- Mike, YOU WERE JUST A CHILD. Guess who has responsibility for what their kid eats and weighs?? poor Mike. I think he's fantastic and is going to be a hottie. Mike, keep your head up.

I'm really not trying to be mean, but Kristen still looks enormous. Like not just overweight, but obese. She needs to lose a whole lot more weight (and keep it off for like 5 years) before she'd be an inspiration to me.

Tara -- you rock as usual. But a little overdramatic this time.

Helen just comes across as white trash. She swears too much. And she stayed there and sent her daughter home -- who does that???

Edited by Pepperminty4132, Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:43 PM.

Skylergirl

Skylergirl

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:42 PM

It is so nice to say this for the last time: Shut up Kristen!!!!

I wonder how many people she will get to fill up a room for one of her motivational speeches chanting her name once the tv cameras are gone. And tell me if the situation wasn't reversed that she wouldn't have gotten rid of Mike in a heartbeat as she wouldn't be woman enough to keep the biggest threat there. They are all there to win the money.

Ron, you are a passive-aggressive asshat. Take some responsibility for being a bad role model to your kid. Don't lie when asked if you knew how Mike was going to vote. And the Ronfather stuff at the end, "my son is going to win" made me want to reach through the tv and smack you upside the head.

Black Cat

Black Cat

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:56 PM

Also calling bullshit on Ron's "Yes, it's my fault" mouth noises (look like words, sound like words, but no actual meaning behind them). Empty platitudes and insincere self-recrimination are standard items in the manipulative, domineering bastard toolkit. If he agrees, and piles blame and loathing on himself, then Mike has nowhere to go. It shuts down the argument and puts control of the conversation back in Ron's hands. It was a good start, but ultimately I don't think Mike got the real and frank discussion he was hoping to have. The poor guy needs more than that, or those feelings he has are going to fester and ferment. It might be my imagination, but I really don't think Mike looked all that satisfied when that little chat was done.

Kristin's leaving really doesn't bother me, ECK-specially (grr) considering the ungracious way she did it. Glad she left with her eyes open with regards to Ron, but her little soapbox about Mike being unmanly because he voted to eliminate her rather than preserve her delusion about puppies and kittens and everyone's here to be BFFs and just lose weight together and be a family forever and ever? Please. She who revels in alliances and gamesmanship should be a woman and take it when those very same things turn around and bite her in the ass.

I hope she has a good oral surgeon here in Wisconsin, because with her jaw LITERALLY dropping on the floor all the time (I counted at least twice in this episode), she's going to need one.

I will confess that she has "motivated" me to do something -- I'm going to do some Googling to see where exactly she gave that speech, because it looks like the same hotel ballroom where my company used to have our holiday parties. See, Kristin has the power to inspire people to do things they never would have dreamed of doing!

jords

jords

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 21, 2009 @ 10:57 PM

*sigh* Oh, Kristen. You keep throwing around that word "coward. I'm not sure it means what you think it means. Also, STFU. Mike voting against you should not come as a shock, or are you deluded enough to think everyone on campus will throw themselves on the sword for you because of your innate awesomeness?

*deepubersigh* Ron, Ron, Ron. I've giving up wishing you off my screen. Now I'm reduced to offering NBC flat out bribes. Because I JUST CAN'T STAND YOU ANYMORE. If America is good and lucky. we'll have to chose between you and your son, and we'll have another "never before" scene, only this time it's 98% of America voted to send you and the moobs home. (Girl can dream, can't I?)

Laura, I miss you....