Speculation (Without Spoilers): Stranger Things Have Happened

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

1640 replies to this topic

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 12:48 AM

I would love love love if Peter or Olivia remembered that they'd met as children. That image of them as children holding hands in that field of white tulips always gets me.

shapeshifter

shapeshifter

Fanatic

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 2:20 AM

I would love love love if Peter or Olivia remembered that they'd met as children. That image of them as children holding hands in that field of white tulips always gets me.

Yes, but probably not if it's used to signify a reset with unknown outcomes. Or maybe that would be okay too.

skyepioneer

skyepioneer

Just Tuned In

Posted Dec 30, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

I think the different colors of shirts in the park is a puzzle. I think one of those is the reset future when they get back to the park without observers.

Long Days Night

Long Days Night

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 12:40 AM

I find myself still wondering about the importance of Henry. The Observers were kosher with a universe in which Peter re-manifested and reconnected with Olivia, so long as there was no Henry. They were kosher with a universe that included an Etta (perhaps because her attempt at a resistence met a futile end, with her death). The only universe they would not/could not allow was a universe that included Henry. So does the time reset have to re-exist Henry so that he can do whatever the Observers do not want him to do? And thus, also Un-Exist Etta (and her death) at the same time? Is one of the sacrifices to Save the World going to be the sacrifice of Peter/OurOlivia's Happy Ending (that, one admits, due to circumstances beyond their control wasn't quite as happy as one might have hoped).

I also think the Etta posters are very suspicious. No one could successfully make and put up so many posters, some of them multi-story billboard-sized things covering entire sides of buildings. The more recent posters also look more like photographs (3D), and less like the original 2D graphic drawing versions. I'm torn between thinking Etta is "pushing back through" like Peter, or thinking Olivia is cortexi-creating the images because she so wants to see Etta again. Either way, I feel like I'd like to know where and why the posters are coming from, and I'd like the experience of arriving at that answer to help the characters figure out something they need to know or how they can do something they need to do.

Then there is the cargo transportation network from the future that Peter, Olivia and Walter tried to disrupt. After Peter fired into the conduit chamber, it was supposed to collapse the future in on itself. But moments after they successfully completed their destruction of the present-time entry point, a new cargo transport chamber opened right up. Did an alternate future drop into place to take the place of the one they destroyed? Or was their theory about the impact on the future of their efforts completely wrong - if so, would correcting their understanding of the underlying physics of the future/present connection help them in some way?

Finally, there is our "other universe". Did Lincoln Lee, Walternate and Faulivia amber themselves in their universe to fight an Observer invasion over there as well, waking up in parallel to our Fringe team? How's that going for them? Anything our team and the team Over There might be able to do in tandem to defeat both future invations at the same time?

petunia846

petunia846

Stalker

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 1:53 AM

I also think the Etta posters are very suspicious. No one could successfully make and put up so many posters, some of them multi-story billboard-sized things covering entire sides of buildings. The more recent posters also look more like photographs (3D), and less like the original 2D graphic drawing versions. I'm torn between thinking Etta is "pushing back through" like Peter, or thinking Olivia is cortexi-creating the images because she so wants to see Etta again. Either way, I feel like I'd like to know where and why the posters are coming from, and I'd like the experience of arriving at that answer to help the characters figure out something they need to know or how they can do something they need to do.

I'd forgotten about that, but that's something I'd like to know too. I never considered Etta pushing through like Peter, but I really like that idea. At first I was also thinking that maybe our Olivia was the only one who could see them, but then they had the scene where the street cleaners were scraping them away, so I guess that's not it.

jipijapa

jipijapa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

I think this idea about the Etta posters is a lovely idea, but unfortunately I believe that given the sloppiness of the scenario-setting in Season 5, I think they really are actual posters put up by an unseen legion of Resistance fighters working improbably each night, since the ways of Wyman's 2036 are mysterious indeed. :-)

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

The posters give me pause too. Personally, I think it's just to add to the surreal atmosphere of the season (was it in "An Origin Story" that they panned up to a building covered with Etta's face scowling down at Windmark? She'd barely been dead A DAY!). I'd love for it to be more.

NorthTexas

NorthTexas

Video Archivist

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 12:17 PM

Now I feel stupid. I thought the Observers had put up the posters, telling people to resist the movement and Etta was a reminder of the consequences of disobeying them. Which in hindsight makes no sense.

Camera One

Camera One

Fanatic

Posted Dec 31, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

If you're avoiding spoilers, avoid zap2it.com. They had a spoiler in the headline on the front page.

Edited by Camera One, Dec 31, 2012 @ 8:35 PM.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 12:03 PM

With Michael available, and passing out memories like tictacs, I realize that they have an opportunity for something I've wanted since Subject 13 - have Olivia and Peter remember that they met as children.

If it doesn't happen, I'm going to have to write it, hard.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 3:32 PM

New speculation: Peter will not cease to exist because of the reset (if it occurs) because his chain of causality has already been broken. He is already a paradox.

prodigalchicken

prodigalchicken

Fanatic

• Interests:Right now. . .it's all Fringe all the time.

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 5:30 PM

If the Observers never come to be (and I am still up in the air about that--I think they will exist, just not as they are now), it simply means that September will not interrupt Walternate when he finds the cure for Peter. Peter will still exist and grow up in the RedVerse. What is unclear is whether this means that Peter and Olivia will never meet. I think they will still meet if all this comes to be. Peter and Olivia were always meant to be the two people who crossed universes, in my mind anyway.(and heart).

Jodhaa

Jodhaa

Fanatic

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 5:39 PM

Peter and Olivia were always meant to be the two people who crossed universes, in my mind anyway.

On twitter anytime Wyman is asked about Peter and Olivia he always says they are meant to be together. I always wondered why he was so obvious about it stating it. Now it sort of makes sense to me. No matter what reset Wyman pulls, I'm sure P/O will end up together.

Edited by Jodhaa, Jan 12, 2013 @ 5:39 PM.

notwisconsin

notwisconsin

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 7:45 PM

I figure, it's reset, and we cut to 1986, young Peter hasn't died on this side yet, and Walternate is brewing up the cure earlier than planned, since there are no Observers to interrupt him, he makes it, our Walter finishes HIS batch, and while we see the cure working, we here Leonard Nimoy's voice say "...and they lived happily ever after."

jloub

jloub

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 12, 2013 @ 8:18 PM

I too am wondering if the observers that come to be in the future are emotive observers, does that mean the original 12 sent to observe our time were never sent. Just because they are both highly intelligent and still full of emotion, doesn't mean the desire to return than early time and observe didn't happen. They still may have come...is RedPeter dying a d being cured still an important moment in time?

The question was kind of broached to Wyman and his reply was vague, as expected but he did say it was more complicated than the change in the observers makeup resulting in the observers never coming to the fringe world at all.

http://m.youtube.com...h?v=8huy8H9t0vY via GMMR.

CorwinOfAmber

CorwinOfAmber

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 8:53 AM

You know the show starts to make a sort of overall sense when you realize there are two "men behind the curtain" manipulating things - William Bell and September.

sleepingwalker

sleepingwalker

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 1:35 PM

I feel like we just flew off into never never land.

In a meeting between Sept and Dec at the start of season 4 it is stated that "they must not know that the boy lived to be a man". It was an odd statement then and its even odder now. Assuming that they were talking about Peter it made a little sense since it just meant that they (Walter et al.) shouldn't know that Peter had been cured at some point. If the boy is Michael then the "they" is presumably the other Observers. So that means that December was in on the "plan". It also means that Michael grows up. Given how old he his already its not clear how he "becomes a man".

The idea of sending Michael into the relatively near future seems silly. Sending Michael forward to 2169 is just a matter of waiting -- he seems to not age -- or sticking him in amber or sticking him in a pocket universe. It, however, seems likely that as it now stands, 2169 will not play out as it did when the Observers we started as that Oslo scientist will likely not be born or free to do his work. They would seem to need to send Michael to a different timeline.

Also its really hard to see how sending Michael to 2169 really does much anyway. It would be just as easy to send a very convincing note to the folks in that time and tell them to not do it. I suppose having Michael do a Vulcan mind meld would help but I'm not convinced.

Whatever. Its mostly fun to watch but this ending seems goofy. The re-purposing of "the boy" references to mean Michael requires a fair bit of suspension of disbelief for me.

Unspoiled

Unspoiled

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 13, 2013 @ 5:27 PM

When I rewatched "The Boy Must Live" I paid much closer attention to Donald and Walter's private conversation. And I'm further convinced, by his sadly expressive face and almost hesitant responses, that Donald is being a bit misleading with Walter there. In fact, his eyes almost seem to well up at one point. There's something he's keeping from his friend, and it ain't good news! As an Observer, he sure has made some vague pronouncements in the past, so.... I know this is not an especially inspired speculation, but I am totally feeling it. :D

Edited by Unspoiled, Jan 13, 2013 @ 5:35 PM.

fedorafadares

fedorafadares

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2013 @ 8:10 AM

I think so, too, Unspoiled. The quick getaway he made after handing over the technology was suspicious, as well.

I think we're seeing another case of "what would you do to save someone you love?" and that Donald's sole purpose is to save the boy.

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:41 PM

I'll make the slam-dunk speculation that the glyphs will spell two words, one for each hour.

Edited due to a double post.

Edited by bagert, Jan 18, 2013 @ 7:46 PM.

bagert

bagert

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2013 @ 8:54 PM

Well, I was technically right, but also thought those two words would go together to make a single phrase. Oh well...