2-22: "Born to Run" 2009.04.10 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

502 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 4:44 PM

TV Guide sez (kind of vaguely):

The Connors encounter Weaver, and the resulting confrontation becomes a pivotal event for John in the second-season finale.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:00 PM

End the series like that? Like THAT?

Geez!

fime

fime

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:01 PM

Geez is right! I'm not even sure what to think! Wow!

snoozy

snoozy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:01 PM

Considering what just happened that decription is waaaaaaaaaaaaay to vague. Holy fuck this show had better come back next year. Was that Alison from Palmdale or pre-Cameron?? I think pre-Cameron but if it was Alison that would just be fucking awesome.

ETA: and of course it's a future where no-one knows John Conner - he skipped over the whole judgement day thing. He didn't have a chance to become the big leader everyone loves to hate. Hmmm.

Edited by snoozy, Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:10 PM.

jengtown

jengtown

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:02 PM

Holy shit that was awesome. What a mind fuck. I just started watching this show this year (too bad I don't have a Nielson box) and I cannot handle it if it doesn't get renewed. That was so good.

sugasmile

sugasmile

Channel Surfer

Tonight is the first night that I watched this show live. OMG!!! I am still trying to catch my breath after all of it. Fox, please bring this show back.

bairdwh

bairdwh

Loyal Viewer

Had to be Allison from Palmdale since the dog would have freaked out if it was Cameron.

Aurelian

Aurelian

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:03 PM

Talk about going out on a cliffhanger...

Then again, it does kind of betray the central tenet of the entire Terminator franchise: That John Connor is so special that removing him would lead to Skynet's victory. This seems to indicate that if John had been killed, someone else would have stepped up.

Unless of course, the other person was John Henry. I guess?

Still feels like a betrayal of the material.

I am more than a little wistful that this was the end. I'm hoping that the staff reveals what they had in mind for Season 3 after the official word of the cancellation hits.

Edited by Aurelian, Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:05 PM.

fime

fime

Channel Surfer

I'm almost sure that was Allison. Otherwise wouldn't the dog have been barking?

SteveWright

SteveWright

Couch Potato

Did they just show us the beginning of the time line? And, how in the hell can they cancel this fucking show?

They HAVE to allow them to do a 2 hour TV movie to wrap it up or something. I'm wondering if the success of the movie will dictate their decision.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:04 PM

I hate pig-headed showrunners. Awesome cliffhanger, but a crappy way to end the series.

Lead Magnet

Lead Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:04 PM

That... was the most awesomeness I've seen in a very, very long time. Nevermind that I'm going to be seriously ticked off if I don't know where it leads if the show gets canceled.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:05 PM

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

That was so utterly mindblowing. How many mindfucks can they fit into five minutes? Cameron is dead! Weaver isn't evil (or so it seems)! John's in the future! Derek! Derek doesn't know him! Kyle! Cameron!

Jesus Christ.

bairdwh

bairdwh

Loyal Viewer

I will loose my mind if they end it like this - my guess on the new "messiah" - DANNY DYSON! I bet he takes the place of John when John didn't appear to lead the resistance.

<--- You heard it hear first :-)

Bishop2

Bishop2

Fanatic

What an incredible ending. One of the best episodes they ever did. And what an asshole Josh Friedman is, for knowing that his show was barely surviving all year long, and then deliberately leaving us on a cliffhanger. He said he "didn't want to make it any easier for them to cancel us." News flash, dickhead: The network doesn't care about your cliffhanger. They care about ratings. End of story. The only people you screwed are your viewers. NICE.

I'm almost sure that was Allison. Otherwise wouldn't the dog have been barking?

That's why John looks at her and smiles... then frowns. He realizes it's not Cameron.

lovenjones

lovenjones

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:06 PM

LUVED the entire EPISODE!!

I wonder if funds were given from the movie budget to improve the writing of this show??? Now I'm SALAVATATING 4 THE MOVIE!!

I guess Ellison finally got his Weaverbot "I'm a robot" T-Shirt and "go pick up my kid @ 3 and keep her" :)

THEY GOTTA BRING THIS SHOW BACK!

Edited by lovenjones, Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:15 PM.

Marquis Carabas

Marquis Carabas

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:06 PM

So all the people who were quitting because Derek was dead, I wonder how they feel now.

PLEASE don't cancel this FOX PLEASE!

Dontuse

Dontuse

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

i saw BAG's name in the credits... that's how i knew they'd use him [even if only briefly] in the future.

also seems like both he & cameron betrayed him [mom by refusing the jum... she cites reasons of "i'll fight it here" & cameron by giving JH her chip]

any one have any theories on why Cameron's body didn't jump? i'm leaning on because she wasn't completely covered with skin.

at least he's got alison. so sad when you see that he realizes she's alison [the dog wasn't barking] & that she would [in one end reality] be captured & killed to model for Cameron.

... & a future where no one knows John Connor... that's DEEP.

PLEASE, SHOW, STAY ALIVE!

also here's a shoutout: Great insight bairdwh. i hope you're right as that would be AWESOME.

Edited by Dontuse, Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:14 PM.

Jaded Sapphire

Jaded Sapphire

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

Had to be Allison from Palmdale since the dog would have freaked out if it was Cameron.

I knew the dog was significant but couldn't quite place my finger on it. Yep, definitely Allison and not Cameron.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:09 PM

They really went balls to the wall on this one, I have to admit.

John obviously time traveled to before Kyle Reese ever went back in time. Ergo, John Connor never existed. So he's there... as a paradox.

It would be even more wicked if that IS Alison from Palmdale.

Sarah in a past (which may not even exist anymore), with Ellison and the lifeless body of Cameron, John Henry running around free, an utterly destroyed building, and perhaps an enemy Terminator or two in residence. John with pre-time travel Kyle, Derek and Alison with WeaverBot skulking around in the background, in some root timeline.

Genius. And we may never see what happens now! Damn!

jengtown

jengtown

Couch Potato

If the show is over (which I still hold out hope it isn't) I don't know that there was any other way to go out. And it was just such an incredible hour, but yes, that snippet of the future is too much goodness and I need to see a whole season of John Conner running around the future with his Dad and Uncle and Human Cameron.

I didn't think John Conner doesn't become the leader, just that he becomes the leader at that point in the future. So the timeline changes but he is still the leader. Who knows though.

Ever since the first Terminator movie, I have wanted to see more of what the future is actually like. With these characters and actors (yay Kyle!) it couldn't get better.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

I loved that. I think it was a great way to end the series if this is the end. I think John's whole character arc was his dependence on Sarah and his need to move away from that if he is to step up and fulfill his destiny. Well, what a way to leave his mom! Fwiw we saw a glimpse of the post-Jday future here but there is no way to tell if they were winning or not. Maybe John's 'arrival' was the final piece of the puzzle to stopping Skynet for good...

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:10 PM

John Henry running around free

John Henry's with John and Weaver in the future.

gacggc

gacggc

Loyal Viewer

It's hard to blame them for refusing to change the cliffhanger, given how awesome this was.

Though it was a fundamental problem to have John encounter a future in which he is not the savior; it really does seem to undermine the main premise of the series... but it may be worth it to give him a chance to encounter all the main players, from before the whole shebang started.

MzLiz

MzLiz

Couch Potato

Holy Crap!!!

Man the series cannot end on that. I give anything for another season, but with the ratings not likely.

Oh man. Does this future not know John Connor OR is this where it starts? John is now with them and becomes the leader he was destined to be. It makes sense now that I think about.

I wonder if Sarah at the last minute knew that and let him go. I'm glad she didn't go too. It wasn't her place.

KYLE!!! I would pay money to see where it goes from here, but the show is "the Sarah Connor Chronicles" and she is not there.

What a ride it has been. These last episodes have been so amazingly good. My heart is breaking.

BitchySmurf

BitchySmurf

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:12 PM

I was literally bouncing up and down throughout this finale. I was so happy to see them tie lots of threads together, the priest, the dancer girl, three dots. DEREK!!

I now find the previews for Terminator: Salvation to be taunting me. I want to know what happens next and knowing that is Terminator but not THIS TERMINATOR kills me. KILLS ME.

Please bring this show back, Fox. Pleaseplease.

NaturalTop

NaturalTop

Couch Potato

Did they just show us the beginning of the time line?

That's pretty much how I'm reading it as well.
Awesome.
It is absolutely pathetic how passionately I love this show. I don't believe I have ever liked a tv show half this much.
Please don't leave me bereft, Fox!

bairdwh

bairdwh

Loyal Viewer

I didn't think John Conner doesn't become the leader, just that he becomes the leader at that point in the future. So the timeline changes but he is still the leader. Who knows though.

I don't think so, I think the place of John has been taken by Danny Dyson... think about it, why mention him out of the blue for no apparent reason... and those resistance guys looked pretty seasoned to have had no commander up till this point. If John showed up when Kyle and Derek were that old, the war would already be lost since they have been fighting it their whole lives.

SteveWright

SteveWright

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:13 PM

Maybe John's 'arrival' was the final piece of the puzzle to stopping Skynet for good...

Exactly. It matches up with Terminator The Movie. This is the beginning. John knows he has to send Kyle back so he can get his mom pregnant and he can exist. I think there is even a reference to how they were aimless until John Conner helped organize them. The more I think about this, the more I realize what a brilliant move this is. It gives a pretty decent ending that leaves plenty of storyline available if they were allowed to continue.

TheHappyEmo

TheHappyEmo

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:I am dying from a terminal illness and just trying to fill the hours before I finally die. The promise of adulthood, of life beyond high school just sort of fizzled out. Life doesn't end with a bang, just a weak whimper, that being said, I'm pretty sure nobody gives a fuck about what I have to say.<br />Whatever.<br />Being on the board is a bad habit I need to break, some of you are way too invested in tv shows and overthink them. As a medium television is getting worse and worse and caters to the lowest common demoninator, Idiocracy is coming true faster and faster.

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 8:13 PM

Very good, I'm glad they didn't chicken out and wrap up EVERYTHING. On a side note, if Summer Glau took off her shirt in front of me I think I'd faint.