2-21: "Adam Raised a Cain" 2009.04.03 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

351 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 5:51 PM

TV Guide sez:

John pursues a Skynet target, and gets close to Weaver; Ellison reunites with Sarah after plans change; Weaver uncovers secrets about Ellison.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:01 PM

Well hit me on the head with a pole and call me Sally... that surprised ME.

Super Metroid

Super Metroid

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:01 PM

Hate to use a pun, but this show literally just killed its chances of renewal.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:02 PM

Oh! My! G-d! Derek dead? Sarah in jail? Wow. I don't even know what to say. Wow.

LibbySarah

LibbySarah

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:02 PM

Savannahís teacher thinking that John Henry was a predator Savannah was chatting with cracked my shit upÖ

MrsRosencranz

MrsRosencranz

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:03 PM

BEST. EPISODE. EVAH!

RIP Derek, didn't see it coming.

Didn't see the capture coming either.

LOVE John Henry.

Manchot

Manchot

Couch Potato

Wow, that episode advanced the plot more than half the season.

Zulfiya

Zulfiya

Couch Potato

Wow. I did not see that coming.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:04 PM

WTF did they have to kill Derek? Why???

That being said, this show has officially replaced BSG as the bleakest and darkest show on television.

Poor Shirley Manson. Her on screen daughter tells her she can't sing. That had to have been tough. Maybe she should put some Garbage on Savannah's iPod to convince her otherwise.

ETA: At least they advertised next week's show as a Season Finale and not a Series Finale. I have no idea how they are going to get another season out of this show, though.

Edited by LonePirate, Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:06 PM.

BraeJayQ

BraeJayQ

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:05 PM

A world of wow. How many shows would kill a main character like that? No drawn out death scene. No goodbye. No pithy words of wisdom. Just a terminator rounding the corner and putting a bullet in his head. Did not see that coming.

And the end. Again, wow. Great episode all the way around.

toomuchtv47

toomuchtv47

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:05 PM

Not only is Derek dead, but they did it in the first 20 minutes. Definately going to have to watch that again cause once he got shot, I kind of had 'oh my god Derek got shot' running through my head and it was difficult to concentrate on what was going on. What I do remember was awesome though.

I just still can't believe it.

Roundtheworld

Roundtheworld

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:06 PM

I lack the words, maybe I'll be able to process it later but Derek, just like that?! Sarah in jail? at least there's a way out of jail but Derek?! I'll miss you Derek Reese!

TheGreaterFool

TheGreaterFool

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:06 PM

Wow... no heroic blaze of glory, no poignant sacrifice, not even someone screaming "Nooooo!" That has got to be the ballsiest death of a major character in the history of television. I just don't hope they screw it up by having another Uncle Derek come back through time.

dgcatanisiri

dgcatanisiri

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

I definitely did not see Derek's death coming. But I liked it - Derek was a soldier, and that's how he died. I like those kinds of deaths, since it adds a touch of realism to the moment. Not everyone gets that little last moment, that instant where they know what they've done made a difference.

speedroc

speedroc

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:07 PM

Damn, I knew they would do this!!!

Wait until the last few episodes and give us the good stuff, only to be...

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:08 PM

OK, John Connor? Worst. Week. Ever. Boy's hangin' on by his fingernails. I can't see how Ellison gets out of this one alive. If he doesn't figure it out the Connors are going to expose the whole shebang. Either way, he's deead.
Derek dying, while sad, was well done. No melodramatics, no musical crescendo, just a bullet in the brain and an anonymous cremation.

Manchot

Manchot

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:09 PM

So, Skynet wants to kill Savannah now? Is her friendship with John Henry going to be what makes him altruistic?

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:10 PM

I agree with everyone who said that Derek's death was both a shock and a very un-television-like scene. So early in the episode! So unceremonious! Wow. And then to have Sarah get arrested!

The end, with the singing, was really lovely and haunting. Very nice sequence.

masked_spangler

masked_spangler

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:11 PM

Now that I have calmed down a little, I have to give a shout-out to the little girl playing Savannah. She's fabulous.

Also, I loved Cameron this week. 'But I only want to kill him.' Heh.

BBQ Platypus

BBQ Platypus

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:11 PM

Preliminary reactions:

DEREK! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Also, Sarah gets arrested. Very interesting turn of things.

So, in conclusion I...I...can't continue.......still...recovering...from Derek! (sobs)

MrsRosencranz

MrsRosencranz

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:12 PM

"She was telling me about her friend.

Who lives in the basement.

With a cable in the back of his head.

Hooked to a computer.

WHO LOOKS LIKE THIS!!!!!!"

Effing priceless.

The Golden AN

The Golden AN

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:14 PM

Phew. That was heart pounding. And it happened within the first 15 minutes which was a change of pace from the past eps.

No! They didnít just kill Derek.

One by one Johnís support group is being taken away starting from Charlie. He did not have a good day.

What the hell did that man buried? Coltan?

I canít get the song out of my head. Iím assuming itís a kidís song but the way they sang it is very haunting. Like the ones used for horror films. John Henry and Savannah, seems like a partnership.

I need a moment...Damn! That was too good.

ETA: So that Derek's ashes not coltan. That was my first thought. I was just in denial...(hiccup)...nooo...

Edited by The Golden AN, Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:18 PM.

Lead Magnet

Lead Magnet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:15 PM

AAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!

ahem

Sorry, had to get that out of my system.
That was just... everything. Sure, some new cans of worms were opened, but all of the other, already-open, cans, got smashed together and are forming some weird metal super-worm.
Didn't see Derek biting the dust either. Guess that answers the questions about BAG and his new show. It was quite a shock considering that Charlie, if you were watching both episodes back-to-back, had died only fifteen minutes earlier.
I'm actually feeling a lot of sympathy for Savannah, which speaks of a good story, casting, and acting, in that usually child McGuffins end up grating somehow.
But yes, that was worth the wait. Need third season!

Randoms:
ēAnyone else feel the (red-herring?) vibe of "is that guy a Terminator?" from the police detective, also? Or is that just a side effect of knowing that Terminators turn up at random on the show?
ēThat was the most kid-friendly movie that they could have taken Savannah to?

LibbySarah

LibbySarah

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:18 PM

I canít get the song out of my head. Iím assuming itís a kidís song but the way they sang it is very haunting.

ITA. I've never heard the song before, but I thought it was used wonderfully.

Maracev1

Maracev1

Stalker

Awesome episode, RIP Derek. No wonder BAG was looking for another job anyway.

NaturalTop

NaturalTop

Couch Potato

This show is amazing. And this episode wouldn't have had the impact it did (wow!) without pretty much every single decision made before this. I can and have quibble(d) with some small narrative shortcuts this season but on the whole, I very heartily approve the execution. If this show is doomed to cancellation because it isn't the average viewers cup of tea (apparently according to the ratings) then I say, "Thanks for the incredible ride." (I'll go back to using the hour for reading knowing the rest of the country is enjoying their American Idol and Wifeswap and Howie-what-ever. Yeah, I am a snob. I admit it.) I love the intelligence of this show in a way I don't know I ever have another.

Holy hell, they killed Derek at the 15 minute mark. I actually looked at the clock in a daze.

Robbyboy

Robbyboy

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:21 PM

Just to echo what has been said here: this was a ballsy episode. I honestly can't think of any other show that had the guts to kill a main character off in such a stark way, without melodrama or foreshadowing. Just killed. That showed real creative courage. It also worked with the larger themes of the show, and in particular with the arc of recent eps, in which John Connor is being methodically stripped of his support network.

I would note that even Battlestar Galactica, for all the hype about its darkness and realism, never went this far. Only minor characters could die "for real" on that show. This is an order of magnitude more courageous.

Also, the entire episode was complex, and beautifully woven together. I truly hope this show survives for one more season.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:22 PM

Those ratbastards! They killed Derek!

I couldn't quite concentrate since I kept thinking, he can't be dead, he cant' be dead. I kinda want to hate Ellison right now. Or not. I'm confused.

Awesome.

MichaelFi

MichaelFi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:25 PM

Derek's death scene was horrible. It came out of nowhere.
I think Weaver should walk around in front of Ellison wearing a T-shirt that says "I am a Terminator". He still wouldn't be able to figure it out.

Egeria

Egeria

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 8:25 PM

So John sends back both his father and uncle knowing that they will die, but at the smae time they are still alive and living right across town. At least he knows he has another chance to save them. Same thing with Riley and Jessie. I wonder if knowing they are still alive somewhere else, or going to be born in this time period makes John feel differently about their deaths? I wouldn't mind if Derek came back again in another season, although that makes you wonder if the Conners are in some kind of infinite time loop. All that might be too confusing can of worms to open.

I wish the show had spent more time focusing on John Henry and Weaver. That was fascinating. I want to know exactly who Weaver is and what her agenda is. Right now it seems like she's trying to save humanity.

I really need this show to have a third season. I wonder if maybe it will and they will do some major retooling. That may explain all the deaths. The concept of the show is such a good one. It's just that the execution has been shaky at times.