The Ed Show

• Please log in to reply

144 replies to this topic

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 2:23 AM

Thought Debbie Wasserman Schultz did a good job of tamping down expectations tonight. I have seen so many people on many different forums getting very smug and doing a lot of trash talking about how President Obama is going to lay a beat down on Romney in the debates and she tried to rein in the hubris by reminding people that Romney is a good debater. He's also a terrific liar but the non-political-junkies in the audience aren't going to realize that he probably said something completely opposite just last week and the media is so anxious for a horse race, they're not likely to point it out either. Ed himself has been getting pretty cocky these last few weeks and I think he heard what Wasserman Schultz was trying to say. This election isn't over yet.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

While I am a huge fan of Ed's radio show not so much the TV show, I love Debbie WS so I watched.
It's a good thing for her to tamp down Ed's over confidence which he also does on radio.
This is the same thing he did with the WI recall and look how that ended.
He is a good progressive talker but a bad political analyst.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Sep 28, 2012 @ 4:52 PM

I have seen so many people on many different forums getting very smug and doing a lot of trash talking about how President Obama is going to lay a beat down on Romney in the debates and she tried to rein in the hubris by reminding people that Romney is a good debater.

That's funny because I've been hearing the exact opposite; people are going out of the way to lower expectations on both sides. And the talking heads are very careful to say that this election is far from over, and they're right to say that.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

One thing I like about Ed is that he's actually capable of listening and course correcting. There were a few times he started focusing on an issue on his radio show because a caller brought it up and he ended up researching it and realizing he should talk about it (voter disenfranchisement is the one I recall but there's been other cases), I notice that since his talk with DWS, he's stopped being so certain about the elections and started asking about how to avoid the pitfalls of overconfidence.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 5, 2012 @ 6:45 AM

I'm glad Ed has EJ Dionne as a regular.
He brought up some great info last night. It turns out that instant polls (which he said he really didn't like but were interesting) show that Romney's likeable rating went down, while President Obama's went up and that anyone that had decided to vote for Romney based on his preformance, was someone who identified themself as an independent leaning republican.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 2:15 AM

Good grief. Have Ed's medications not kicked in yet? His hair is still on fire over the debate. He's getting almost as unwatchable as Morning Joe.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 10, 2012 @ 7:01 AM

shabieshok I agree. Ed's probably one of the if not the #1 progressive talker and he's negativity depresses me to the point that sometimes I just feel like, fine, turn over the keys to everything to the republicans, then will you be happy?

applepie77

applepie77

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 7:36 AM

Did anyone catch Colin Powell's former Chief of Staff last night basically BLAST his Republican party as a bunch of racists? Kudos to Ed and his staff for finding Col. Wilkerson. Even bigger kudos to the Col. for speaking out so brazenly. Good, job, Ed, for finding this guy.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 9:13 AM

Yes, Col Wilkerson's been on twice this week (Thurs and Fri). Plus he's been a favorite of Ed's since '08.
The most distrubing story on Ed's show this week, or any MSNBC show, was Romney's going to Ohio and lying about Chrysler's shipping Jeep productionn jobs to China.
Ed showed the statement the CEO of Chrysler released basically saying Romney outright lied.
I hope the Obama campaign jumps on this because this and Sheldon Adelson dumping another $10 million into the Romney super pac makes me dispise elections all together. Thanks Supreme Ct.

applepie77

applepie77

Fanatic

Posted Oct 27, 2012 @ 1:58 PM

The most distrubing story on Ed's show this week, or any MSNBC show, was Romney's going to Ohio and lying about Chrysler's shipping Jeep productionn jobs to China.
Ed showed the statement the CEO of Chrysler released basically saying Romney outright lied.

Ed needs to keep pounding this, even if OFA does not. I had not heard of this until now and it's SHAMEFUL. Ed strikes me as the type to do this. With the election so close, I'd think the media strategists for POTUS will run with this.

I voted today and my locality had a (non-binding, I'm sure) referendum question which basically asked if you were for or against the concept of corps/pacs being "individuals". I might send the text of the referendum to Ed's producers. It's pretty grass-roots (and Ed seems to love grass-roots stuff) -- no real impact other than if it passes, no PAC money spent in this locality (which is already so liberal it's freeway exits are on the left). But curious to know if there is a movement nationally for this kind of thing. It's the 47%'s way to strike back.
And Ed's all about us 47%'ers.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 8:44 AM

Right, Ed should pound on this. He should go to Definance (sp?) where Romney threw out his lies like gospel. Ed had no problem going to Freeport, IL a week ago and spent plenty of time in Wisconsin during the recall elections.

Edited by kingofpoppa, Oct 28, 2012 @ 8:45 AM.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Oct 28, 2012 @ 12:34 PM

What I find calling about the Jeep lie is the companions Sensata story which the media seems to be largely ignoring... and its an overall pattern with the Romney campaign, one that follows the GOP overall. Make up stories about Jeep outsourcing while insisting it's totally unfair to tie you to the one you're making money from. Go on TV show after TV show talking like a caricature of Archie Bunker's racism and then call President Obama the most racially derisive President. Put all sorts of OTT fictions in your opposition to the President's policies and then say it's his fault for suggesting them.

Ed shouldn't just be all over the Jeep lie, he shouldn't just be all over the Sensata story (which he's covered, but I think its a story he should be covering to make the rest of the media care, something Keith would do) he should be all over the two as an example of how the right works these days and why Obama can't compromise with them.

MulletorHater

MulletorHater

Fanatic

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 7:52 PM

Although he drives me totally batty, I'm glad Ed brought the Jeep lie to our attention. It's yet another one in a long line of whoppers the Romney campaign has rolled out in its attempt to manipulate voters. Sickening! The New York Times picked up on this story, as well as other media. I also wish there was more outrage about the Sensata story especially since Mitt has been claiming he was a job creator and would create 12 million more (with no specifics of course).

It's gotten to the point where my eyes just glaze over when this man speaks because I don't believe a damn thing that comes out of his mouth. Why the media isn't making this more of a character issue instead of claiming the blatant lies are flip-flops or misstatements is beyond comprehension. This is the same media that dogged Bill Clinton for lying about a blow job. But I have to remind myself that the media was reluctant to call Bush out on his lies and marched in lock-step with his administration into Iraq.

urlittledogtoo

urlittledogtoo

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 29, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

But I have to remind myself that the media was reluctant to call Bush out on his lies and marched in lock-step with his administration into Iraq.

No no no! Haven't you heard? Bush didn't get us into Iraq! According to John McCain a few days ago, it was all Colin Powell's fault, he did it! Colin Powell is the only reason we went into Iraq! It's all so clear now, I can't understand how we all missed it during the last ten plus years. Colin Powell is responsible for Iraq. That wasn't Bush's war at all.

McCain said this in response to the brouhaha over Sununu alleging Powell was endorsing Obama because they are both black. So McCain I guess felt the need to blast Powell for being a bad general etc and being the cause of the Iraq war. What I wonder is if McCain is so out in left field right now as a Romney surrogate that the media are just mostly ignoring what he says lately or what, because I haven't heard much about that statement yet on MSNBC. Of course, it was only a couple of days ago so maybe the commentators haven't caught up yet, and then there's Sandy sucking the air out of the news cycle (rightly so). I'd love to see Ed or LOD pick it up though and call him on that statement.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 14, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

While I'm glad that Ed concentrated on the issue of gun control laws on his show tonight, I am so tired of President Obama being blamed for everything. Has any other president been held so responsible for all the woes of American society?

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 6:57 AM

I agree. Ed's commentary was really too much putting everything that's wrong with the gun culture in America in President Obama's lap.
Wasn't it the crazy tea partiers in congress that wouldn't renew the assualt weapon ban?
And where was the Mad Hatter, John McCain, when the Tuscan shooting took place? Oh right, ok in your state, in your country but not Bengazi.

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 3:13 PM

Really irritated how they're using this to criticize Obama (Politico guests continue the theme today).

The Constitution points out that CONGRESS makes the laws. Maybe Ed, Politico, Bloomberg et al could start directing the criticism for the complete BLOCKING of gun legislation where it really belongs:

...not on the President, but on the NRA(the nation's biggest lobby) and its Republican lackeys in the House and Senate.

"Congressional Republicans and the NRA". Let's hold them accountable--anything Obama would send to Congress they would just BLOCK.

Ohwell

Ohwell

Fanatic

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 5:39 PM

The Constitution points out that CONGRESS makes the laws. Maybe Ed, Politico, Bloomberg et al could start directing the criticism for the complete BLOCKING of gun legislation where it really belongs:

Not to mention the fact that it's the Republican controlled House that probably will continue to block it. I hope I'm wrong.

I've been hearing some blowhards, including Ed, mouthing off about how it's Obama's fault, and I just change the channel. I was also glad to hear that apparently the Gov. of Connecticut agrees with Jay Carney that right now is not the time to talk about gun control. Sure, it definitely needs to be addressed ASAP but some people were mouthing off and pointing fingers yesterday, just hours after the tragedy.

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 15, 2012 @ 5:47 PM

"Congressional Republicans and the NRA". Let's hold them accountable--anything Obama would send to Congress they would just BLOCK.

So true. There are plenty of Democratic bills in the legislative pipeline that the Republicans won't even bring to the floor for a vote. Plus Ed and his guests aren't being the slightest bit realistic about the situation in America right now. Just the prospect of Obama being elected and re-elected sent the yahoos out to the gun stores and gun shows to buy weapons and ammunition in obscene amounts. If Ed, or anyone else, thinks that President Obama could successfully wrangle a gun control bill through congress, they're dreaming in technicolor.

urlittledogtoo

urlittledogtoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 1, 2013 @ 9:23 PM

Every show he asks his audience a completely loaded question skewed toward a far left crowd and tells folks to call in and participate in this 'poll'. What the hell is the point of this? The results are always 90+ percent agree with the far left answer to the question and against the far right answer. But no one watches him who isn't a leftie as far as I can tell, so..... OF COURSE most of his audience polls that way!! It's such a nonsensical and completely unreliable gauge of anything at all. So why do it?

This is only one of the reasons I mostly don't watch Ed. He sometimes has good guests and guest hosts so I usually tune in long enough to see what's happening but most of the time it's just the usual suspects smugly mugging for the cameras and he is just so full of himself. He's like the antimatter Joe Scarborough, without the nasty beady eyed blonde sidekick. He belongs on talk radio, not on TV. His personality is just too OTT, more like a Limbaugh or a Glenn Beck. YMMV of course.

But that damn poll. 'Do YOU think we should privatize Social Security and let old people die homeless in the streets? Let us know what YOU think!' Sigh. Sure, I'll go get my phone and let you know, Ed.

Al Funcoot

Al Funcoot

Fanatic

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:38 AM

When the show started, I guessed that they got a kickback on the texting fees (IIRC that was part of the revenue base when Idol started) but most people have unlimited plans by now so my theory is inertia.

ETA: My other guess is that there's some exec out there that's obsessed with "interactivity" who's clueless about how this particular feature doesn't really add much anymore. Some shows try to have a "live" element to give viewers incentive to watch the first broadcast (where the ratings count the most) instead of watching it on a DVR. I can't imagine tuning in live for the poll (honestly, when I do watch it's because Ed's show is one of the few that I can watch while reading online without getting lost and needing to rewind to catch up on what they said).

Edited by Al Funcoot, Feb 2, 2013 @ 1:42 AM.

urlittledogtoo

urlittledogtoo

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2013 @ 2:07 AM

(honestly, when I do watch it's because Ed's show is one of the few that I can watch while reading online without getting lost and needing to rewind to catch up on what they said).

Good point. Actually, I could script the talking points myself, just give me a subject and I'll tell you what Ed says almost verbatim. Good background noise is exactly why I leave him on usually. I hadn't really thought about it before.

Yep, there's probably some sixty-something exec somewhere who thinks he's all cutting edge on the social media train here. If you're listening, anonymous exec: it's not working!

watcher's pet

watcher's pet

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2013 @ 8:59 PM

I've gotta say, I really enjoyed Ed pronouncing Steve Doocy's name as "Douchey" on tonight's show. I don't know if it was intentional, but it's awesome.

Aurora Borealis

Aurora Borealis

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2013 @ 1:18 PM

Hmmmm......

Ed Schultz is leaving primetime, but is it really voluntary?

Tried linking to the MSNBC site, but my work computer doesn't let me access it......

Kali12

Kali12

Fanatic

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 3:14 AM

Classy exit speech tonight, including promoting Chris H's new show, describing him as "a brilliant young journalist who will have a great show and be in the 8 o'clock slot for a long time" or somesuch. I thought it was quite generous, and I'm sorry to see Ed shunted off to Sunday 5-7 p.m. (even though, I think it'll probably become my favorite Sunday show--superior, I'll bet, to MTP).

I'll miss The Ed Show, though.

snorca

snorca

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2013 @ 9:53 AM

I agree, classy exit. I have mixed feelings about Chris taking the spot. I will enjoy him during the week, but I love UP and will miss it tremendously. And Kali12, Ed will be on both Sat. and Sun. I look forward to his new show too.

kingofpoppa

kingofpoppa

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2013 @ 6:01 AM

PS. Ed insists (on his radio show) that he and his long-time producer, Homey, have huge plans ala Glenn Beck. Ed doesn't need MSNBC. He was a huge brand before and will continue to be.

SweetTarte

SweetTarte

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 4:46 PM

I am new here but a long-time reader. I can't stand sweaty ol' Ed. I am glad to hear he has been canned...and I don't know what "Big Plans" he would have, maybe a deodorant commercial??!!

Can't stomach him calling L. Ingraham a "slut" or anyone else for that matter. There are two sides to the story but the mainstream media & MSNBC will never report more than theirs...

So long Fat Boy!

shabbieshok

shabbieshok

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2013 @ 11:45 PM

So you don't like Ed calling someone nasty names (which is fair, he shouldn't have, and he apologized profusely for doing so) but it's ok for you to call Ed names?

StephInMN

StephInMN

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2013 @ 12:22 AM

So you don't like Ed calling someone nasty names (which is fair, he shouldn't have, and he apologized profusely for doing so) but it's ok for you to call Ed names?

Exactly. It isn't right for anyone to name-call.

I liked his show on occasion, but sometimes he had too much yelling going on.