Ratings, Scheduling and... Cancellation?: Cupid, Draw Back Your Bow

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

34 replies to this topic

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2009 @ 2:26 AM

So how long will the network monkeys leave this version on the air? Discuss ratings, scheduling issues, and joke/guess about potential cancellation here!

Trivia: The original Cupid was aired on ABC on Saturdays at 10 p.m. Yes. Saturdays. Tuesdays at 10PM for this new version almost seems a step up.

Edited by TWoP Tennison, Apr 1, 2009 @ 6:02 AM.
Topic

macncheese

macncheese

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 1, 2009 @ 1:53 AM

My personal bet is just the 7 episodes this year. I really hope I'm wrong though.

Speaking of the Saturdays at 10. Apparently, ABC wanted to remind those who saw it 10 years ago - the pilot will be repeated on April 4 at 10.

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2009 @ 3:15 AM

I thought the existing commitment was 9. But you are correct--apparently it's 7. Yikes.

Really, what that means is that we're probably MORE likely to see them all air. And far LESS likely to ever see anything past it. You can't grow an audience in 7 episodes (it's hard enough with 22). And there's no way this is going to start off big. Law & Order SVU alone would take care of that, and adding in Without A Trace and people committed to watching 10PM news? Uh uh. I suppose the overnight ratings will be showing up soon, but I certainly don't expect them to be very good.

Edited by Snark Shark, Apr 1, 2009 @ 3:15 AM.

gallimaufry

gallimaufry

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2009 @ 5:16 AM

While I think a second season is unlikely, I don't think a 7 episode first season is any big problem. "The Office" started out with six. Heck, most UK shows do six every season.

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2009 @ 8:11 AM

On a somewhat hopeful note, ABC has kept "Samantha Who?" on the air for a couple of seasons now. That schedule was so crazy, I finally gave up watching it. Tuesday at 10pm presents no problem to me, but I don't know if it will beat the ratings for that stupid 20/20 hidden camera show that I think was airing in this time slot.

marcy20

marcy20

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 1, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

In series-premiere news, ABC romantic dramedy Cupid was left at the starting gate with a last place finish in both total viewers (7.56 million) and adults 18-49 (2.3/ 6) in the 10 p.m. hour. Comparably, retention out of the 9:30 p.m. portion of lead-in Dancing With the Stars (Viewers: 15.13 million; A18-49: #4, 3.5/ 9) was just 50 percent in total viewers and 66 percent in the demo. And the 10:30 p.m. portion of the show dipped by a significant 2.16 million viewers (8.64 to 6.48 million) and 16 percent among adults 18-49 (2.5/ 7 to 2.1/ 6).

I think that drop at the half-hour is probably the most troubling part. Two million is pretty significant.

2MuchTV

2MuchTV

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2009 @ 11:08 AM

Ack. Too slow. But here's the link anyway since it wasn't included above.

PIFeedback.com

Edited by 2MuchTV, Apr 1, 2009 @ 11:09 AM.

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 1, 2009 @ 11:33 AM

Okay. Ouch. Why did ABC even torture us with bringing it back?

Frankly, they should have just cut the budget and put it on their SOAPNet channel instead. Maybe there's some plan to air old and new on their after they give it the ax.

sjsyed

sjsyed

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 1, 2009 @ 11:48 PM

Ugh. Looking over the ratings, I wonder why I should even continue to watch the show. It seems like all the shows I like are the ones that end up cancelled, and the shows that are left are ones I can't stand. I loved the original, and while I'm not overwhelmed with the new version, I still would like to see it continue. Doesn't ABC know that every time they cancel a new show, they make it that much less likely for us to put in the time to watch another one of their offerings? After all, why would we invest our time in a doomed series?

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 2, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

Looking up the show, I can see why ABC revived it. They apparently thought that with a writers' strike possible, they had 16 scripts in the can (2 of which were never filmed) that they could turn into a midseason replacement. No strike, no need to put effort into it.

ABC Orders Cupid Remake

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 4, 2009 @ 2:10 AM

I just thought of something. I think that this show could make it on ABC Family. No?

But seriously, I have almost no hope for its survival on ABC. It just doesn't seem to fit. Maybe with "Private Practice" or even on Sunday it could work (no chance there). But even with the ABC weekly schedule reorganization that seems to be happening, without a "Pushing Daisies" combo, I don't see where it fits.

Latuki Joe

Latuki Joe

Couch Potato

• Interests:01 Glee<br />02 Lost<br /><br /><br />(Ended Series: Alias, Roswell, Kyle XY, Veronica Mars, Twin Peaks, Prison Break, Harper's Island)<br /><br />(Reality Shows: Amazing Race, The Mole, Survivor, Big Brother, Top Chef, Real World, RWRR Challenge, Project Runway)<br /><br />(Animation: The Simpsons, Family Guy, South Park, Teen Titans, Batman)

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 4:39 AM

The scheduling for this show is all wrong.

Personally, I'd have put it on at 8pm at Sundays, before Desperate Housewives. It fits with the "chick flick" types shows (IMO, sorry) more than it does on Tuesday- it gets its audience. Of course, this won't happen because that horrible Extreme Makeover Show.

BoldAsLove

BoldAsLove

Fanatic

• Interests:um, skateboarding, bmx, driving, drinking.<br /><br />Going out.<br /><br />I like Heroes, Prison Break, The O.C, X-Files and Scrubs.

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 6:31 PM

I agree. It wont work at the time slot its on. I like this show though, its got potential, so maybe if they move it....

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2009 @ 9:23 PM

Are there ratings from Saturday? Not that I'm hopeful.

TWoP Tennison

TWoP Tennison

Fanatic

• Interests:Moderating

Posted Apr 7, 2009 @ 10:45 PM

I don't think I saw any ads for this show leading up to the pilot episode. If I weren't the moderator for this forum, I probably wouldn't have known it existed.

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 7, 2009 @ 11:06 PM

The only promotion I've seen so far is a mention at the end of DWTS and Camille Guaty on Chelsea Handler's show. There was a pretty weak commercial tonight saying how everyone loves Cupid. They had about 4 words from a San Francisco Chronicle review.

macncheese

macncheese

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 7, 2009 @ 11:37 PM

Yea, they didn't have much promotion. However, Sarah Paulson was on Letterman the week before the premiere and Bobby Cannavale was on Kimmel and the Tavis something show that Thursday leads me to believe they had it booked for the original premiere date.

Now, if only ABC had spent more promotion on this show and Castle as they did on that show that's premiering Wednesday night, maybe the ratings would have been higher on both.

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2009 @ 6:52 PM

The future is not hopeful, but I've never seen a show on IMDB with this in the listing.

Up 1,094% in popularity this week.

Cindy McLennan

Cindy McLennan

Fanatic

• Interests:Covering Sherlock, Once Upon A Time, The Vampire Diaries, and The Tomorrow People for TWoP. Past shows include Lost, Supernatural, and How I Met Your Mother.

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 7:20 PM

The future is not hopeful, but I've never seen a show on IMDB with this in the listing.

Up 1,094% in popularity this week.

I don't know if that's unusual for a new show that had so little promotion beforehand.

Here are this week's ratings (down 26% from the pilot) per Marc Berman's post, the morning after:

Link.

Even so, week two of Cupid sunk to 6.22 million viewers and a 1.7/ 5 among adults 18-49 in the 10 p.m. hour (Last in both categories), dipping by 1.93 million viewers (7.19 to 5.26 million) and 16 percent among adults 18-49 (1.9/ 5 to 1.6/ 4) at 10:30 p.m. One week earlier, Cupid opened with 7.22 million viewers and a 2.3/ 6 among adults 18-49 on March 31, based on the final nationals. Why ABC needed to remake this loser to begin with is beyond me.

From earlier in the post:

-Yesterday’s Losers (Excluding Repeats):
Reaper (CW), 90210 (CW), Cupid (ABC)

More ratings discussion from MediaLife.

It's completely non-scientific, but not many people have voted for the episode on the weecap (under 100). I think the show's a goner.

Edited by Cindy McLennan, Apr 10, 2009 @ 7:21 PM.

BoldAsLove

BoldAsLove

Fanatic

• Interests:um, skateboarding, bmx, driving, drinking.<br /><br />Going out.<br /><br />I like Heroes, Prison Break, The O.C, X-Files and Scrubs.

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 9:28 PM

I think the show's a goner.

No, please dont say that. It hasn't really had a chance to shine. It cannot be destroyed so quickly. It's only been the Pilot + 1. It may take people a while to get into it and spread the word.

macncheese

macncheese

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2009 @ 11:07 PM

The good news for Cupid is the Unusuals didn't do very well either on Wednesday night, and that's with all the promotion it had. (Yes, I'm aware DwtS and Lost are very different lead-in, but still) I still don't think that it's enough to warrant anything more than the seven, but "I believe in Cupid!" (or at least, Rob!)

Snark Shark

Snark Shark

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2009 @ 10:09 PM

The good news for Cupid is the Unusuals didn't do very well either on Wednesday night, and that's with all the promotion it had.

This being ABC, that I don't think that means all that much. They're just as likely to bump BOTH shows off and put on Lost reruns for one spot and summon some piece of crap reality programming to help out with the other.

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2009 @ 10:31 PM

The year ABC cancelled Cupid, they got rid of Fantasy Island and Vengeance Unlimited (all shows I watched). That year, they had multiple airings of Millionaire to fall back on. They killed Millionaire 2 years later by overplaying it.

I don't know what ABC has left. Lost is over, Scrubs is a walking corpse, and DWTS is already on 3 hours a week.

AddiesRedArmy

AddiesRedArmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2009 @ 9:39 AM

Metered results for last night (Mediaweek):

the unnecessary remake of Cupid at 10 p.m. finished third with a 4.3/ 8. Retention for Cupid out of the second half of lead-in Dancing With the Stars (10.2/15 at 9:30 p.m.) was a painful 42 percent. Rule of thumb to the networks: never remake a show that did not work the first time around.

The premiere scored 5.0/ 8, followed by a 3.9/ 7 in the metered results. It looks like this week Cupid benefited from the fact that L&O:SUV was a repeat.

Averett

Averett

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2009 @ 9:50 AM

I just finished watching last night's show on DVR. And I'm out. The matched couple weren't likeable, I just didn't care if they made it or not. And really, they probably wouldn't. Not outside of TV land anyway.

There's no way this will be back next season.

KissMeImIrish

KissMeImIrish

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:TV: Chuck, How I Met Your Mother, Bones, Grey's Anatomy, Raising the Bar, Castle, The Office, NCIS, Conviction, Gilmore Girls<br /><br />Generally: Good books, public interest law, lots of music, films that aren't too depressing, www.livescience.com

Posted Apr 15, 2009 @ 10:33 AM

I just finished watching last night's show and am worried, because it wasn't nearly as good as the first two, and I'd like it to stay on because I think it has potential. It would have been nice if ABC had promoted it even half as much as they promoted Castle, perhaps the ratings would be higher. Castle may not be number 1, but it's doing fairly well compared to Cupid and The Unusuals.

AddiesRedArmy

AddiesRedArmy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 17, 2009 @ 2:58 PM

No Cupid next week:

Next week’s episode of Cupid is being bumped for The Unusuals, which will air twice next week. The simple rundown:

The episode of The Unusuals originally scheduled for April 22 at 10pm, moves to April 21 at 10pm. The episode of The Unusuals that was supposed to air on April 29, will now air on April 22. The episiode of Cupid originally scheduled to air on April 21, will air on April 28.

ketose

ketose

Fanatic

Posted Apr 17, 2009 @ 5:26 PM

Well, they did air the Cupid pilot twice. I think the Unusuals is doing even worse. I suspect if it does better than Cupid next week, episodes 4-7 will be buried in summer reruns.

andeely

andeely

Fanatic

• Interests:TV, books, movies...and yes, my reality is totally fictional ;)

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 11:35 AM

I was wondering why it wasn't showing up in my DVR guide list for this Tuesday. Especially because I had just finished watching the episode from the 14th and it did say 'next week on Cupid'. Thanks, bummer. I love this show.

BoldAsLove

BoldAsLove

Fanatic

Posted Apr 26, 2009 @ 5:36 AM

I don't know what ABC has left. Lost is over, Scrubs is a walking corpse, and DWTS is already on 3 hours a week.

Actually, I think the Scrubs and Lost respective finales are on the same day, one after the other.