The Shark Tank: Can Dragons Swim?

• Please log in to reply

2817 replies to this topic

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

If he had come in with a clear presentation showing that there is a market in amusement parks, with data to back it up, that might have been more convincing

IMO that was his main problem. He had a lot of wishing and hoping but no actual sales or interest from anyone else. I also thought it was interesting that once Robert tried it out the sharks also realized that the way it's currently designed, only tall people could use it.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:44 AM

The boot illusions concept was cool, though I would want to try them on and make sure they're comfortable before deciding, and I would also expand the types of shoes a lot (it looked like they all had high heels for example - I'd want a flat version). But, I wouldn't want to go into business with someone who seriously had a dream and randomly flew to Turkey. That story made no sense and would make me worry about her decision making.

I can't believe Barbara buys 4 bikes a year. Did she mean she buys one bike a year for 4 people in her family? That is a little more believable, though still kind of silly. They rust? You're a gazillionare, put them in a garage or something.

CrazyTrain

CrazyTrain

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:22 PM

Rewatching this w/DH (who is watching this ep. for the first time). He said the sky ride thing already exists at Legoland.

also for whoever mentioned the high heeled boots - I did see a pair on the table that were flats. I really liked that idea!

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:24 AM

I'm just still unclear on how exactly the boot thing worked. Its the kind of thing I think I'd have to try on in person to decide if I like. At first I thought it was just like glorified leg warmers, but then it seemed like there actually was a part that went over the sole of the shoe, and Barbara said it was rubber, though I couldn't really see it. Would they work like rain boots? I think it would be a great idea if you can put them over your regular shoes when its raining in the morning, have them look cute and protect your feet, and then take them off when it stops raining and stuff them in your bag. I would totally buy those, since I currently live in one of these crazy climates where it can be raining one minute and hot and sunny the next. But it was hard for me to tell if they'd actually be waterproof or comfortable or whatever. Normal rubber rain boots are often really uncomfortable, so I'm suspicious of these rubber things. Or even if they're not waterproof, maybe just to keep your feet warm in the morning on the way to work and then take them off... it has a lot of potential but I can't really tell without trying them on.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 2:51 PM

I'm just still unclear on how exactly the boot thing worked

My impression is that it's basically a shoe with attachements in various styles and colors to make it look like different boots.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:33 PM

They looked to me like they were a sleeker version of galoshes.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Yes, initially I thought it was a stap-on boot top. But in looking at it in Barbara's hands, it had a rubber sole on it, so the shoe apparently goes inside.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:32 AM

I think the roller coaster/bike thing could be profitable, but not the way it was presented. For one thing, it looked like an accident waiting to happen. It would need some kind of cage or enclosure to keep people from falling out. Also, what if I'm going faster than the person in front of me? That could be frustrating.

I am really not sure how that thing could make money. I mean like you said the fact that one person could catch up and be stuck behind the person in front of them means you can only have one person on at a time. And I am sure for every person who wants to rip through that track as fast as possible, you will find someone who either isn't really in good enough shape to go fast, or if it is somewhere scenic like on a ski-hill, just wants to go slow and enjoy the view and maybe take some pictures. And if you are stuck with one person on it at a time, how expensive do you have to make the ride so that the one person on it for however long is actually paying you enough to pay for all the operation costs of the ride? If you make the track really short this might not be a problem, but then you run into the fact, that it would be short and boring and you would probably get less people wanting to go on it.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

I've always been unclear on galoshes also. Wikipedia says they are worn over a shoe, but I live in the midwest and when it rains women wear those brightly colored rubber boots as their only shoes, not over other shoes. I'm not sure how well they'd work over other shoes. Either way I find them really bulky and uncomfortable, so I really like the idea of a sleeker version, but I'd really have to try it on to decide. Also if they are thinner maybe they wear out and break if you really use them. I walk a lot each day and I'm not interested in fashion shoes unless they also function very well.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 2:53 AM

The Boot Illusions site makes it appear pretty comprehensive, effectively a whole new shoe except insole and outsole. http://www.queengrac...boot-illusions/

Also they're apparently not selling them just yet, which imho is a big mistake to not have ready by the show's airing.

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:59 PM

The pedal coaster thing I thought would work well at ski resorts, for a summer activity.
It reminded me of the Alpine Slides many of them have. And those do have the problem that if the person in front of you is incredibly slow, you catch up (and collisions can be kind of scary if you aren't able to slow yourself in time) and yet, they are incredibly popular.

By focusing so much on "at home" the presenter really ruined his pitch.

I don't really see it at an amusement park though. I also think there would need to be some major safety equipment- a cage? To ensure people don't hop out!

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

By focusing so much on "at home" the presenter really ruined his pitch.

As far as I'm concerned his pitch was ruined even before he started by asking for $3 million dollars for something with zero sales and absolutely no evidence than any one or business wanted to actually buy the thing.

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Video Archivist

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 5:15 PM

Mark Cuban reminds me of Mickey Rourke as Marv in "Sin City."

Do you think the producers direct the sharks, "Be as big a douchebag as possible"? They sometimes seems gratuitously obnoxious or cruel. They don't need to tell the inventor, "I don't like you."

I thought the customized bicycles seemed very limited in what one could actually customize.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 11:43 AM

Do you think the producers direct the sharks, "Be as big a douchebag as possible"? They sometimes seems gratuitously obnoxious or cruel

It's reality tv, of course they do.

I thought the customized bicycles seemed very limited in what one could actually customize

It seemed pretty customizable to me. The only customizable option they didn't include that I can think of is the ability to add more wheels but then thet changes it from being a "bicycle".

Skittl1321

Skittl1321

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:38 PM

There aren't very many frame styles- so to me, that greatly limits customization. There are 4 to pick from, but they pretty much all fall under "trendy hipster".

It doesn't look like you can choose between a road bike, a mountain bike, or a hybrid - for example. The only customization of the tires is color. Maybe I didn't look well enough but the frames seemed one size fits all. I didn't see anything that asked me for my height once I chose a frame.

So yeah, I don't think they are customizable, at least not any more than taking a bicycle to an auto-body shop to have it painted would be. The frame colors were really limited - I can't have a pink frame? Really?

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted May 10, 2012 @ 2:44 PM

I walk a lot each day and I'm not interested in fashion shoes unless they also function very well.

Agree. In my much younger years I wore the pretty fashion boots. But that was decades ago. Now I only wear comfortable, functional boots. High heels don't make much sense if you walk a lot, and even if you walk a little bit it's too easy to slip/fall in the rain, snow, and ice. Ergo, cute looking Boot Illusions would not interest me.

Edited by isotonerz, May 10, 2012 @ 2:46 PM.

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

Skittl1321

Thank you so much! You articulately perfectly what I came away with after watching the bicycle segment.

Red Adept

Red Adept

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:07 PM

Damn, my DVR kicked me out of the programme before I saw if Blanks accepted the offer or not.

Please tell me he got a clue and accepted Mark and Daymon's offer.

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

He did, but unclear if Mark was still in it or not. Daymon chased him out to the lobby and clarified that he would not be 'zumbafying' the workout. BB Jr accepted - however I hope this isn't moot b/c it's all contingent on Zumba approving. And I don't know that BB Jr is a big enough draw, though he did have charisma.

Wonder what Daymon's in is with Zumba?

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:32 PM

Wow, they made Billy Blanks Senior out to be some kind of incredible asshole.

Red Adept

Red Adept

Video Archivist

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 8:42 PM

Some of these people though... I end up screaming at the television often.

How could they not have a business plan going in, and why do they always overvalue their products?

I know it's just a show, but if you're going in front of venture capitalists, you want to have solid numbers for sales, explain your market, your valuation, and your plan.

Orton

Orton

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:13 AM

So was Daymond's special interest in Billy Blanks Jr producer interference, or did Daymond have a twinkle in his eye for BBJ? Aw, love on the DL.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:21 AM

Yeah, I don't get why people insist on valuing their businesses based on what they think it will be worth in five years, or whatever. That's the whole point of an investment. If you think a company will be worth a million dollars in five years, you buy in while it is still worth $150,000.

I liked BBjr and I would buy his product. I wish he had countered with a lower percentage, though. I bet they would have gone for 40%.

UsernameFatigue

UsernameFatigue

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 1:50 AM

I had no idea who BBSr was (though my hubby did) but I really liked Jr and am glad that Daymon went after him to make the deal. You could tell that Daymon really wanted to help him be a success.

The bikini guy was so annoying. And I don't see his idea being a big success. Who wants a bikini that looks like a patchwork quilt?

I think the PB students were also lucky to get a deal. To tell the sharks that they have to pay now for what the company could be worth in the future was incredibly arrogant and stupid.

seacliffsal

seacliffsal

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:43 AM

I think that Barbara will wish that she didn't make an offer to the peanut butter girls. Their whole 'we deserve it' justification for their overevaluation really shows their perspective on business. I don't think they'll work hard for the product line as they will probably expect others to help/bail them out and that they should make a lot of money without effort because 'they deserve it'. So many people come before the Sharks with this attitude and I really hate seeing it rewarded.

crankyone

crankyone

Video Archivist

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:34 AM

The one peanut butter girl had a deer in the headlights look. I can't imagine there aren't other peanut butters like that out there. My grocery store even lets you grind your own peanut butter.

I want to know the back story between Billy Blanks, Jr. and Billy Blanks. I used to have the Tae Bo tapes. I'm not sure what the deal was for? The certification? Because I just looked online and there's no shortage of BBJ stuff on Amazon, Wal-Mart, etc.

The bikini's are kind of dumb. It's been a long time since I've worn won, but I've never run into someone that had the same bikini I did, or even a one piece for that matter. I was originally thinking it was mixing and matching tops and bottoms for sizing. I remember some stores would not let you do that. He did get a deal, right?

shopper gal

shopper gal

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

The bikini's are kind of dumb. It's been a long time since I've worn won, but I've never run into someone that had the same bikini I did, or even a one piece for that matter.

Yes this was the most assinine thing and I was hoping one of the sharks would call them on it. But I guess they had bigger fish to fry, like the two weren't even on the same page wrt the initial ask.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 4:58 PM

He did, but unclear if Mark was still in it or not

That's the part I'm really curious about.

I think that Barbara will wish that she didn't make an offer to the peanut butter girls.

Barbara's not a dummy, I'm sure she'll get either one of those girls or someone else to run the business.

I'm not sure what the deal was for? The certification?

All of it. Not only the certification thing but also his tapes.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 5:32 PM

this was the most assinine thing and I was hoping one of the sharks would call them on it. But I guess they had bigger fish to fry, like the two weren't even on the same page wrt the initial ask.

That they got a deal from Barbara is astounding. She's usually stingier with her capital.

Also, I'd assume Mark is still in it since the Zuma part is still there

JadziaDax

JadziaDax

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 9:55 PM

The one peanut butter girl had a deer in the headlights look.

I couldn't believe it when one of them said "We are taking 12 credits so that is only 12 hours per week.". Umm, Ok, that is the time she is in class but she doesn't have to spend any outside time reading, writing papers, or doing other assignments? Usually you need to plan for 3 hours of outside class time for every credit hour you take, so a 12 credit semester would mean about 36 hours of actual work.