The Shark Tank: Can Dragons Swim?

• Please log in to reply

2817 replies to this topic

hoodooznoodooz

hoodooznoodooz

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 7, 2012 @ 10:36 AM

I'm guessing that last night's episode was a re-run, what with the "And tonight, Mark CUBAN!!!!!!" but I have a question for anyone who may have viewed it before. The Wurkin Stiff (magnetic collar stay) inventor also displayed French knot cufflinks & various other men's accessories. Were there magnets in the cufflinks? Or do we know anything about the other accessories that might have been innovative?

The TippyToes franchise confused me also. Are Stay-At-Home-Moms supposed to go to the preschool or daycare or whatever & lead the dance/exercise class? And how could this be helpful without a DVD? Otherwise, isn't it just music? Did they provide a manual to show which movements correspond to which part of the song, etc.?

Thanks for any explanations you can provide!

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

The Wurkin Stiff (magnetic collar stay) inventor also displayed French knot cufflinks & various other men's accessories. Were there magnets in the cufflinks? Or do we know anything about the other accessories that might have been innovative?

Been a while since I saw that episode, but I did check the Wurkin Stiffs website and I think it's just the designs on those cufflinks. Their descriptions say "Würkin Stiffs® Fashion Cufflinks are "true" one-piece... Not laser welded or soldered together. Each cufflink is milled and machined from one-piece of billet brass, angled to our "v-design"... then Rhodium Plated. We finish them off by hand applying the resin on both sides, making for fully-finished cufflinks." but I don't think that's particularly unique.

The TippyToes franchise confused me also. Are Stay-At-Home-Moms supposed to go to the preschool or daycare or whatever & lead the dance/exercise class? And how could this be helpful without a DVD? Otherwise, isn't it just music? Did they provide a manual to show which movements correspond to which part of the song, etc.?

They say they have teaching workshops and choreography videos for franchisees, but I do wonder how well they can quality control it when under pressure just to build more locations.

Tonight's show was good. I like a little crazy every now and again, so long as they don't waste too much time on it. So gold-spewing hurricanes were hilarious for the 5-minutes of him we saw. (The hour-plus RL presentation though must have been something else.) I've always felt jealous that CBC Dragons Den got an "infinite electricity" generator guy and the US couldn't produce our own nuts.

Blondie's Cookies is sure in a tough business. Mrs. Fields is everywhere and went bankrupt in 2008. Cinnabon is established in hundreds of locations and sold for $30 mil in 2004. She's got a handful of failing shops and wants $7m? I don't think so.

I'm going to look upthread for what I said last year, but I recall wine guy being a douche then and he's no less of one now. I'm glad Mark got fed up with him because that would have been a painful working relationship.

I do wonder if they're having trouble finding good pitchers though. There have been very few deals in the last few shows and then, while I don't mind a second pitch, I doubt they'd have done that if good candidates were really lined up.

Sola55

Sola55

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:49 PM

The wine guy is a douche; I hate to be a business partner with him.

If Jim Koch, a legend in the alcohol industry, thinks it is such a great deal, why didn't he make an investment? Arrogant is the biggest fault of this guy, and he totally misses the market and consumers on his invention. When his patent expires, he is going to be getting his butt kicked; because consumers will be moving to their favorite brands and wines. The wine glass is a "complement" to a brand's product range, not a brand itself.

Edited by Sola55, Apr 13, 2012 @ 8:55 PM.

sadierossard

sadierossard

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

That entire Blondie's Cookie segment struck me as weird. Currently in only 12 locations in both Fl and In?

When my mid-sized school in Indiana opened up a food court in the early 90's, Blondie's was one of perhaps 8 franchises included. Home was a few hundred miles away, but even there, when I visited the local mall I remember a Blondie's stationed at one of the prime corner locations. Moved away to the NE after graduation, but when I visited both the school, and then the hometown mall in the early 2000's, Blondie's Cookies were no more. I wonder how many franchises they've bled in the past 20 years.

Edited by sadierossard, Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:09 PM.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 10:57 PM

Anybody remember that "body heat sensitive" clothing from about 20 years ago? The tech of the concept is cool, but when you really think about it the effect is pretty nasty. I'm pretty sure sweat-activated logos is going to fall in the same category.

(Although that makes me wonder if there isn't some tech for hidden, conditionally-displayed logos on shirts that might become a big fad. Just have to figure out what the trigger would be.)

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Apr 13, 2012 @ 11:25 PM

Wine guy came across like such a douche. I don't see how his brand's been proven, either. The concept of wine-by-the-glass has been proven, but he's not exactly up against any competition in that category. He's too focused on having people drink his wine that he doesn't see how much more money he'd stand to make by licensing. And the game-playing was beyond obnoxious. I'm glad Cuban went out the way he did.

Blondie's Cookies seems like a tough field. I'd imagine that most people have a decent independent bakery nearby or are willing to make their own at home. That once-coveted mall food court slot just isn't that desirable anymore, and I don't see them doing all that well.

Hurricane guy gave me the biggest laugh I've had all week. He's probably an interesting guy IRL, but he came across as a space cadet. I don't have enough of a science base to comment on the actual invention except to say that I don't think it works quite the way he's envisioning.

The sweat-logo technology was kind of interesting, but not really developed yet. The key for him is to figure out how to do contrasting colors, something he said he was working on. Even then, though, the only real application I can think of is for swimsuits.

polarbeet

polarbeet

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:24 AM

Anybody remember that "body heat sensitive" clothing from about 20 years ago? The tech of the concept is cool, but when you really think about it the effect is pretty nasty.

Yes! Hypercolor! It still grosses me out just to think about it! But, yes, I think with contrasting colors or conditional logo display, he could be on to something.

notinbtnet

notinbtnet

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 12:50 AM

I think the wine guy was just looking for another publicity boost for Copa d'vino. His "patented" bottling is not really that unique because I know at least one other company that does it. I think he knew that would come out during further due dilligence and any deal he would have struck with the sharks would have fallen through.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 2:13 PM

I don't have enough of a science base to comment on the actual invention except to say that I don't think it works quite the way he's envisioning

I think it was Robert who said it best, if his idea was right there would be a lot of gold left behind when hurricanes happen. People have been trying to transform ordinary things into gold for centuries, his invention is just the latest attempt.

But, yes, I think with contrasting colors or conditional logo display, he could be on to something.

Barbara looked interested and I think would have made an offer if it came in color instead of the hard to see white that he had developed.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Wine guy’s dramatics irritated the crap out of me. Wish they hadn’t given him another chance, and I’m glad they kicked him to the curb – again. Good riddance.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

I don't have enough of a science base to comment on the actual invention except to say that I don't think it works quite the way he's envisioning

I think it was Robert who said it best, if his idea was right there would be a lot of gold left behind when hurricanes happen. People have been trying to transform ordinary things into gold for centuries, his invention is just the latest attempt.

But, yes, I think with contrasting colors or conditional logo display, he could be on to something.

Barbara looked interested and I think would have made an offer if it came in color instead of the hard to see white that he had developed.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 6:55 PM

I think the wine by the glass thing would do better in Europe, where you're allowed to drink wine outside. It would be great for picnics. Its a little sketchier in the US where you're not really supposed to do that. Plus, I remember buying (cheap, bad) wine by the (plastic) glass in England a few years ago, to drink on punts on the river as part of a picnic. So its not really a new idea.

The sweat things might be cool for sports teams or water parks, but I don't see people wanting to buy it for themselves to work out in and advertise how sweaty they are. Plus I agree with Barbara that I would never sweat enough to make that work. Maybe most women don't sweat as much when working out as most men do? (Or, yeah, swim suits! Why didn't he think of that?)

I don't think I even need to comment on the hurricane guy because it was so clearly complete BS.

artdogs505

artdogs505

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 8:15 PM

The sweaty logo thing was just gross. Besides, it didn't seem to work very well.

Yes, swim suits might be a better application -- but kind of awkward. Where? On butts? It could be awkward on the front for either men or women, if you think about it.

I saw a guy at the gym drenched in sweat today, and thought about this product. I reaffirmed my earlier opinion: Unappealing.

drmka9

drmka9

Fanatic

Posted Apr 14, 2012 @ 9:28 PM

Plus, I remember buying (cheap, bad) wine by the (plastic) glass in England a few years ago, to drink on punts on the river as part of a picnic. So its not really a new idea.

I didn't realize that other manufacturers were at least attempting wine-by-the-glass. I know some labels put out 4-packs of single-serve bottles, which isn't dissimilar, but if other manufacturers are trying to do by-the-glass, wine guy likely will not be in business for long.

Yes, swim suits might be a better application -- but kind of awkward. Where? On butts? It could be awkward on the front for either men or women, if you think about it.

I wasn't really thinking along the lines of a slogan, just something to enhance a design or pattern. If the guy's able to figure out having a different color show up, you could have a woman's suit printed with vines and leaves and, in water, bright flowers appear. Something like that. It seems like swim suits are the one area where that kind of gimmicky technology can be and stay appealing.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:13 PM

Hypercolor shirts were kind of cool (so to speak) in Texas, where the days got hot enough that just walking outside was enough to change the color. But a shirt that advertises where I'm hot and sweaty? Er, no.

Gold from ocean guy - I know there's trace amounts of gold in seawater, but if it was feasible to get it out then desalination plants would be rolling in it.

ETA: Wine guy: Those look like 12oz pilsner glasses, not exactly what I consider a single serving of wine or the appropriate glass to drink it from.

Edited by Jamoche, Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:15 PM.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:52 PM

Gold from ocean guy - I know there's trace amounts of gold in seawater, but if it was feasible to get it out then desalination plants would be rolling in it.

I kinda wish he was a scam artist instead of just crazy. If he'd left out (or downplayed) the gold part, and focused only on Coriolis effect as electrical generator, then he could distract people from how BS it is by changing the subject to Big Oil or the 1% or something. In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if he did and ABC + the sharks just focused on the most hilarious part.

Here's his press release as lovingly reprinted by Digital Journal

"There is an unequal distribution of resources on Earth. If my energy invention is properly funded, all that can change on our planet," Mark says. "Every country which has enough of these generators could become energy independent and raise the standard of living for their citizens. This generator is a technological advancement representing a genuine legacy of goodness for the world."

Now apparently DJ is home to plenty of, as Kevin would say, Nutbags. But that's my point: if you can vibrate crazy at the right frequency, it will resonate. With a different edit, ABC might have stirred up a bit of publicity-generating controversy.

Jamoche

Jamoche

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 3:41 PM

Not surprisingly, this degreed molecular biologist, biomedical engineer and artist also is a life member of American MENSA

Oooh, he's in a group that 1 in 50 people qualify for.

misterbfd

misterbfd

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 5:57 PM

Nutbar factor six.

Tunia

Tunia

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

I wasn't really thinking along the lines of a slogan, just something to enhance a design or pattern. If the guy's able to figure out having a different color show up, you could have a woman's suit printed with vines and leaves and, in water, bright flowers appear. Something like that. It seems like swim suits are the one area where that kind of gimmicky technology can be and stay appealing.

Del Sol has had this technology for years. They began with color-changing nail polish, then expanded into clothing items of t-shirts, sundresses and flip flops. When exposed to the sun, the polishes change colors (from purple to pink, etc.) and the black and white prints on the clothing become brightly colored. So I'm afraid this idea isn't all that new.

I have several of their polishes - they're fun!

Del Sol

Edited by Tunia, Apr 15, 2012 @ 8:17 PM.

Sugarwater

Sugarwater

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

Those look like 12oz pilsner glasses, not exactly what I consider a single serving of wine or the appropriate glass to drink it from.

They are 6.3 ounces.

Edited by Sugarwater, Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:00 AM.

ThatPoshGirl

ThatPoshGirl

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:42 PM

Maybe I am misunderstanding the sweat logo product. But it looked like the logo part was not effected by sweat, so it didn't change color while the rest of the shirt got darker due to the sweat stains. The logo stayed the same color as the dry shirt material. So, I am wondering, wouldn't the real value of this product be using for things like the underarms of dress shirts, where it might help hide sweat stains?

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 4:36 PM

I think the point was the logo became visible once you sweat. Not a great idea by any means. I get the wine by the glass guys fear, but if he knew the nature of the sharks, why come back? That's just asking for it.

alexmarsz

alexmarsz

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 5:23 PM

So, I am wondering, wouldn't the real value of this product be using for things like the underarms of dress shirts, where it might help hide sweat stains?

I see what you're getting at and it's an interesting idea, but I think it does that by making the material non-absorptive. Therefore I suspect it A) would fail to breathe, thus exacerbating the underlying "trapped moisture" problem. And B) would look slightly different next to untreated fabric in a way that people would notice if you're sitting across a conference table from them. But I agree if it worked, that's more functional than his idea.

Kel Varnsen

Kel Varnsen

Stalker

Posted Apr 17, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

I think the wine guy was just looking for another publicity boost for Copa d'vino. His "patented" bottling is not really that unique because I know at least one other company that does it. I think he knew that would come out during further due dilligence and any deal he would have struck with the sharks would have fallen through.

I don't know a lot about patents but I wonder how hard it would be to come up with a different style of single serving wine glass that doens't violate that guys patent. I mean if his has a sticky foil top, would one with a screw top (like a jar) be different enough to not fall under his patent.

That said it was really a good thing that the wine guy wasn't wearing any of that other guys sweat activated clothing, since it would have been changing colour like crazy considering how much that dude was sweating.

LeGrandElephant

LeGrandElephant

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:05 PM

I didn't realize that other manufacturers were at least attempting wine-by-the-glass. I know some labels put out 4-packs of single-serve bottles, which isn't dissimilar, but if other manufacturers are trying to do by-the-glass, wine guy likely will not be in business for long.

I have no idea how hard they're trying to make it successful, whether they're still making it, or whatever. But I checked and I definitely have them in my vacation photos from 2008 in England. We bought some plastic single serve wine glasses to take on the punts on one of the little rivers (which is a popular picnic situation for students and tourists). They had peel-off tops, like yogurt packages. The wine was not great, but it was clearly designed for a picnic for college students, so I wouldn't expect it to be great. Anyway, we liked it then, but the problem is in the states you're not legally allowed to drink wine outside on a picnic (open container laws) so it seems like it would be harder to justify selling those. Are you allowed to sell them wink-wink nudge-nudge for people to drink outside when its technically not legal? And if that's what you want, you can always buy the cheap wine that comes in 4-packs of little bottles, like you said. Those are not uncommon.

They looked a little different than his - they had stems. But same general idea.

Edited by LeGrandElephant, Apr 18, 2012 @ 6:06 PM.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:50 PM

Does anyone here remember the husband-wife tandem of Smart Baker, in which they took the $75k offer from Barbara for about 40%, I think, of the business? Well, it joins the list of those deals that fell through:

http://the-shark-tan...w-up-interview/

It turns out that during the due diligence phase, Barbara Corcoran’s people had some qualms about The Smart Baker re-usable cupcake towers pricing structure in relation to lower priced, disposable cupcake towers. Daniel described the parting of ways as amicable, though he was a bit “disappointed he never got to deal with Barbara after the show. It was just a bunch of her lawyers and stuff.”

Edited by slowpoked, Apr 19, 2012 @ 3:50 PM.

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 11:55 AM

I somewhat remembered the update of the ori-audio guys but had never seen that episode so I'm glad they re-aired it. Wow, what a product. I'm surprised more sharks didn't bid on it. I get what posters have been saying about Cuban's "bullying tactics" but I can the strategy behind it. It allows his to just "cut to the chase" and not have to haggle with the inventors or worry about trying to outbid the other sharks. At the same time it lets him know the inventors really want to work with him. Also the deal of 1.25 million, an annual salary of $100,000 for at least three years, and a lifetime royalty of 7.5% Cuban offered to the firefighter was insane(in a good way), he'd have been crazy not to take it.

Wildcard28

Wildcard28

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 12:33 PM

Also the deal of 1.25 million, an annual salary of $100,000 for at least three years, and a lifetime royalty of 7.5% Cuban offered to the firefighter was insane(in a good way), he'd have been crazy not to take it.

Unfortunately, the deal never went through.. Deal Deep-Sixed

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

IMO it still has a happy ending as it was the inventor who eventually turned down the deal when he learned that Cuban was only interested in licensing it and letting another company worry about it. Plus the inventor was able to find another investor(although the article doesn't say for how much) and still keep 50% of the business.

Pico

Pico

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 21, 2012 @ 2:24 PM

The treasure chest pets inventor answers questions on youtube. She says Barbara backed out of the deal while Damon stayed on.