Parks and Recreation

• Please log in to reply

11783 replies to this topic

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 7:39 AM

Some of you may be too young to remember, but Katie Douglas had triplets on My Three Sons.

Loved Ben's melt-downs and Ron's dawning awareness that he liked Donna's "boyfriend."  Andy's efforts to keep a secret were awesomesauce.

ElectricBoogalo

ElectricBoogalo

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 8:05 AM

I don't know what the actual odds of having triplets is (especially without fertility drugs) but I was still glad that John Ralphio's dad made sure to tell them it wasn't as special as one in a million. Ha! I knew lots of sets of twins growing up but I only knew one set of triplets, so it's realistic but not as common.

I loved the examples of calm the doctor gave them. McConnaughey on a beach hammock is going to be my new go-to visualization image for being calm. And Buddha on quaaludes!

Leslie's attempts at remaining calm and unstressed at the auction were admirable but I thought she should have just handed the microphone to Craig. You know he would have berated half of those people into buying stuff.

King Sparkle of Cupcake Forest shall be my new title of honor to bestow upon the worthy.

tominboston

tominboston

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 8:41 AM

Ron was especially wonderful in this episode... I loved his realization that Donna's friend was not only a nice guy who had a great way with kids, but also a fellow woodworker.

Don't know about the triplets thing, though. I too have reluctantly concluded that it's time to wrap this show up next season and let everyone live happily ever after.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 10:15 AM

King Sparkle of Cupcake Forest shall be my new title of honor to bestow upon the worthy.

How I wish I knew someone IRL who'd understand and appreciate if I used that.

I loved his realization that Donna's friend was not only a nice guy who had a great way with kids, but also a fellow woodworker.

That was awesome. I wonder if -- and hope -- we'll see Joe again. He seems too good to be true.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 10:40 AM

I don't know what the actual odds of having triplets is

They said 800:1 in the show, but I don't know if they did research to get the right stat.

Inquisitionist

Inquisitionist

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 10:48 AM

One-in-8,000 (which is what Dr. Saperstein said, not 800) shows up on the web.

Omega Mu

Omega Mu

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 11:32 AM

I notice that some of you are double posting, here and on Previously.tv.  Making the transition easier, I shall do the same...

From a production standpoint, I don't think we'll have to worry about seeing too much of the triplets next season.  Can you imagine how many babies they'd have to have on set to accomplish that?  With super strict labor laws for babies and the number of doubles they'd need for getting the right emotions, it'd be a nightmare for the crew. 

That said, one of my favorite movie scenes of all time was in Raising Arizona when HI was trying to pick a quintuplet to kidnap!

whywatch

whywatch

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 11:41 AM

That's ok. I still have lots of warm & fuzzies for the show.

Well, if peeayebee does, I guess that's all that matters. 

TV Divaqueen

TV Divaqueen

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 12:43 PM

Leslie's favorite show is Friends, Phoebe had triplets on Friends.  Phoebe's first Dr. loved Fonzie.  Fonzie is Leslie's Dr.  The world is whole.....

theatremouse

theatremouse

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 2:19 PM

I was still glad that John Ralphio's dad made sure to tell them it wasn't as special as one in a million. Ha! I knew lots of sets of twins growing up but I only knew one set of triplets, so it's realistic but not as common.

I'm somewhat torn about that moment. It wasn't exactly meta, but I couldn't help but feel that they very intentionally had Leslie overstate the rarity and Dr. Saperstein clarify that as a way of putting a pin on it. Multiple births are sort of a cheap-drama reveal in TV that's overdone. If you're looking at the criticism: it's overdone on TV; the writers can't really do anything about that when they decide to go there on the show. But if they're looking at the "oh, come on, how probable is that" criticism, including that line dulls the blow: more probable than a knee-jerk reaction might assume it is.

So. I don't know whether I like that at least they pointed out that it's more probable than some people might think, or if I still don't like it because it's kind of a cheap ploy to begin with. Although whoever pointed out there was foreshadowing of triplets years ago, thanks for that. That plot point makes it a little bit more palatable.

Edited by theatremouse, Apr 18, 2014 @ 2:19 PM.

hayds

hayds

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 4:13 PM

The characters on this show change and grow and act like real humans, which is one of the things I appreciate the most about this show. I hold this show to a higher standard than any other comedy on network TV aside from Brooklyn 99 because, well, it's the same people running it. Leslie and Ben want children and she's older, so it makes sense that they start sooner rather than later. She also has a much higher chance of multiple births due to her age (I'm 6 or 7 years younger than she is and the people my age around me having babies are all having twins). I am confident that Mike Schur and company will take what could be a very cliche, gimmicky situation and turn it into sweet, joyful comedy. Man, I hope I don't eat my words in a few months....

I really loved the Ron/Donna storyline last night. Retta in particular was just fabulous.

Edited by hayds, Apr 18, 2014 @ 4:14 PM.

pennben

pennben

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 7:26 PM

There's been a couple of warnings on twitter today that big things happen in the last minute or so of the next episode.  So, plan accordingly.  I've already padded a couple of extra minutes in to the extra minute I already record on this show (and even then sometimes miss the tag). 

Edited by pennben, Apr 18, 2014 @ 10:13 PM.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 8:09 PM

Series low 0.9 rating last night. I wonder if it'll be a 13 episode final season.

Utica

Utica

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 8:31 PM

Donna had the right to call her ex "my Tammy."  Donna didn't say he was just like Tammy. Many people have their Tammy.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 10:01 PM

Not the triplets but the whole thing with someone trying to hide a secret has been done about a bazillion times on TV. Even Andy's greatness could not hinder my annoyance.

Nobody

Nobody

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 18, 2014 @ 10:36 PM

I have to admit to being a little disappointed with the triplets thing.  It's the kind of sitcom cliche that Parks has never really done before.  I'm holding out hope that Dr.  Saperstein was wrong, somehow.

I'm intrigued with what I've been reading about the finale.  What could it possibly be that happens in the last minute?  Leslie and Ben are already married and now pregnant.  Unless they plan to kill someone off I can't even fathom a guess of what could be so monumental.  April is also pregnant maybe?

doodlebug08

doodlebug08

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 8:57 AM

I don't know what the actual odds of having triplets is (especially without fertility drugs) but I was still glad that John Ralphio's dad made sure to tell them it wasn't as special as one in a million

1:8000 is actually right in the ballpark.  Dr Saperstein knows his stats.  (I am an OB/GYN).

I guess I trust this show, I have a feeling we'll get the de rigeur birth episode for November sweeps (and the triplets will be full term, each weighing 8 lbs and born vaginally, unlike real life) and then we will only see the babies occasionally in short scenes.  They managed to give Ron a family without making it the focus and I think they will do it for Leslie and Ben although their kids' birth isn't going to happen off-screen. There can be plenty of offhand remarks about them and we can hear them crying in the background on occasion.  This show has never been one to sacrifice the office stuff in favor of the typical family sitcom and I don't think this development will change this.

Having triplets also gives Leslie a reason to turn down the federal job and the move to Chicago until the series finale which will probably be next year anyway.  She can just put it off for a year or so and the finale writes itself.  If she'd had one kid, it would've been harder to keep her in Pawnee since Ann and Chris had no problem relocating during her pregnancy.

Edited by doodlebug08, Apr 19, 2014 @ 9:07 AM.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 9:02 AM

I'm not going to dwell on what might happen in the final minutes of the finale. I want to be surprised.

I have to admit to being a little disappointed with the triplets thing. 

I was too, at first. It didn't seem like it belonged on this show, but I love seeing Leslie's and Ben's reaction to the news, so I'm fine with it.

SallyS

SallyS

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 19, 2014 @ 9:35 PM

To me any disappointment related to the sitcoms cliche of triplets was completely obliterated by the realization this was a throwback to her season 2 date where the creepy MRI guy made comments about her uterus and told her "honestly, you could go triplets right off the bat, Leslie". Many TV writers can't seem to recall what they wrote two episodes ago. I delight so much in the hilarious continuity on this show. Also Ben was awesome.

Nosleepforme

Nosleepforme

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 04:36 AM

I missed Aziz in the last episode. Was he off doing other things or why was he missing? It kinda felt like everything that Craig did in the episode would have originally gone to Aziz. The line about upstaging his accomplishments could have come from Tom.

Not sure how I feel about the triplets. If they really go through with it, next season better be the last. Don't want to see multiple seasons of Leslie taking care of triplets. I do also hope that her new pregnancy does not limit her professional ambitions, because that's one of the things that I love about the show: Seeing a woman who has bigger ambitions than only being a mother or a wife.

I still madly love this show, but I think next season would be the right time to end it. The show is still fun, but it has gotten a bit tired - mostly because it feels like they have taken the characters as far as they can. The show would have to change significantly for the characters to develop even further.

Brandi Maxxxx

Brandi Maxxxx

Couch Potato

Posted Yesterday, 06:32 AM

Leslie is now the only character to have appeared in every episode. Before you ask, Ron wasn't in "Beauty Pageant" and April wasn't in "Kaboom".

Scrambled Eggs

Scrambled Eggs

Fanatic

Posted Yesterday, 11:42 PM

Interesting! I didn't know that about Tom having been in every episode prior. 

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 PM

I guess I trust this show, I have a feeling we'll get the de rigeur birth episode for November sweeps (and the triplets will be full term, each weighing 8 lbs and born vaginally, unlike real life) and then we will only see the babies occasionally in short scenes.

Doodlebug08, I'm glad you weighed in.  I'm kinda on the fence with the whole triplets thing, but I can say having Leslie's pregnancy be NU-THING like a real high-risk pregnancy will pull me right out of the reality of the show. Aren't the odds very good, for example, that Leslie would end up on bed rest? I know, I know, it's a sitcom, not a realistic doctor show, but I'm guessing it's pretty common knowledge that a triplet-pregnancy can be pretty fraught. I wouldn't be the only one going, Waaaait a minute... if the pregnancy goes without a hitch.

possibilities

possibilities

Stalker

Posted Today, 12:22 AM

I'm hoping they time jump so we don't have to see the pregnancy or the birth.

The only thing that gives me any hope at all that this won't stink is that we haven't really had the show ruined by Ron marrying and, essentially, having 3 children at home, including an infant.

I think Ben would become a stay at home dad before Leslie should give up her career, so we might get that as a solution to the "career-ending baby plot" for Leslie.

Or maybe she goes on family leave for a few months when the babies are small, and we see her going berserk with boredom and trying to micromanage the department from home while underslept and with babies hanging off her and crying and she's changing diapers and nursing and covered with spit up while trying to get someone at the office to take her million unnecessary nuggets of advice via phone.

Then Ben can take over, while Leslie goes back to work, and he can adapt just fine, creating accounting games for toddlers and introducing the babies to calzones for their first foods.

Mostly, the show is barely holding my interest anymore anyway-- and it used to be my favorite!-- so I feel that there's not much left to lose.