Parks and Recreation

• Please log in to reply

11777 replies to this topic

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:06 AM

I know Leslie's "You finished the campaign like a big boy!" speech to Bobby Newport was supposed to be kind and generous of her, but honestly, I found it kind of condescending.

I've been finding Bobby Newport more amusing and enjoyable than the vast majority of our core characters.

I was loving this season, but the post-hiatus episodes have been real letdowns for me. I'm hoping my meh-ness can be attributed to the election storyline and not a deeper discontent with the show. When April making the same tired "Ann is lame!" comments for the zillionth time is the highlight of an episode for me, that's not an auspicious sign.

Limbonaut

Limbonaut

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:21 AM

Andy hitting Jerry with the pie in slow motion made me laugh so hard. "No wait! It was a from a higher angle..."

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 8:38 AM

My DVR cut off. The last thing I saw was Sewage Joe hitting Ben with the pie. I cracked up when Andy said to Joe, "You’ve come here to pie him."

I feel kind of like MsTaken. Something doesn't feel as good as usual. Maybe it's the campaign. I like the Bobby and Jennifer characters, and I don't think I really dislike the campaign story line, but maybe I'm just more comfortable in the P&R offices.

I know Leslie's hatred of libraries is a running joke, one which I've always found funny, but when she announced that she would eliminate all libraries, I was shocked. I would have like a shot of Ben telling the camera that he couldn't talk her out of that because certainly he wouldn't have approved. Even if lots of Pawnee citizens agree with Leslie that libraries suck, it just didn't work for me as a joke.

And, I don't know, but I didn't really like the scene where the campaign bus shows up at the memorial service and backs into the giant portrait of Nick Newport. I feel like I should have found it funny, but I didn't.

I did like Burt Macklin giving everyone security nicknames, esp when he called Chris “If I Had To Pick a Dude”, causing Chris to smile in appreciation.

I loved seeing Chris pedal his bike faster than the bus. I also liked when Jennifer propositioned him, and he said, "I couldn’t do that to Leslie," and pointed at his t-shirt.

I always love Bobby. His not getting Leslie's story, then seemingly getting it, but not really, was typical and funny. It's all in how Paul Rudd plays him. And of course his playing Wii bowling when he has a real bowling lane right next to him was great.

April seemed kind of adrift in this ep. She didn't seem to do anything except reassure Chris that he has friends. I had also gotten the impression that she was finding him attractive, and that made me worry.

The van guy (Mike O'Malley) was despicable, but I love Mike O'Malley. I knew he would somehow lose in the end, but I didn't expect it to come from Donna.

Lois Sandborne

Lois Sandborne

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 9:58 AM

"Are we to believe he just swam across the Syrup River?"

Again, Andy was on fire. His code names were excellent, and I loved Donna's wink, and Ben's relief at being "Eagle 2."

Pies in the face are always funny to me, but Burt Macklin on the case made that plot even sweeter.

I too like what they've done with Bobby, where he's more of a brat than an actual villain. He took Leslie's story not because he's crafty, but because he didn't realize it wasn't his for the taking. Leslie told him a cool story that impressed him, and he wanted to tell a cooler story, where he totally won the track meet like an awesome winner would do, to impress the reporters.

And Paul Rudd is doing such a good job. His little wave when he said the Wii Bowling guy looked like him cracked me up.

"First of all, dark places are awesome."

Chris and April didn't do much for me, except April's banging on the piano. I love that that was an Aubrey improv.

I liked the whole van plot, but especially the resolution with Donna crashing her Mercedes and ruining Mike O'Malley's day. I love comeuppance. Also, Yogo Platinum? I'm glad Tom's still a dreamer. With ridiculous dreams.

Edited by Lois Sandborne, May 4, 2012 @ 10:04 AM.

furryteeth

furryteeth

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

I love politics, and parodies of politics. So it's not that I'm disliking this campaign storyline. In fact, I've been enjoying all the recent episodes.

But I've enjoyed them somewhat less than I was expecting, and I wonder if it has something to do with having all of our characters sort of bunched together into one context with a singular focus. The show works better when different subgroups have really distinct (even if interrelated) subplots. But all of the current subplots (e.g., Chris feeling rejected; Donna, Ron, Tom go get some vans; Tom and Ann; etc.) feel so much thinner and underdeveloped compared to the campaign arc. I would have probably preferred if at least a couple of characters were holding down the fort at the Parks and Rec office, and/or if one or two of the characters (e.g. April) decidedly didn't tag along with Leslie's campaign. Seems more realistic and more story-potential-inducing.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:49 AM

Ben yelling "It's a trap!" made me so happy. And I'm sure once it was over, he was glad he had the opportunity.

I agree with the sense that there's something missing from the show right now. It's odd that having a more serialized story would make the show feel rudderless, but I feel like they're not quite sure how to keep fitting everyone into this storyline. The characters are so well-defined and funny that they're still getting good things out of them all consistently, at last from where I'm watching, but it feels a little paint-by-numbers, like they're just finding ways to fill time and give everyone something to do until the arc is done.

All that said, though, it isn't something that's bothered me too much or gotten in the way of my enjoyment. I still love these people, they're still making me laugh, and I'm glad for this arc that brought Paul Rudd on the show, because he's been fantastic.

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:23 PM

Ben yelling "It's a trap!" made me so happy.

I've seen all the Star Wars movies, some more than once, but I still missed this joke. I hate myself for that.

It's odd that having a more serialized story would make the show feel rudderless

But it's not Paul Rudderless. (I hate myself for that, too.)

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:29 PM

But it's not Paul Rudderless. (I hate myself for that, too.)

Noooooooooooooo!!!! [/Tom whine] Don't hate yourself for that, it made me giggle, just like Paul Rudd did when he was waving like his little Wii avatar!

Telenovia

Telenovia

Channel Surfer

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:53 PM

Alcoholic yogurt...which would kill the yogurt bacteria. Oh, Tom, never stop dreaming. Speaking of crazy dreamers, where's Jean Ralphio? I miss him.

I don't usually love slapstick, but the slo-mo pie in the face made me cry, I was laughing so hard. And then he actually solved the mystery! I wonder how many pies they went through reenacting the crime.

FreeperDave

FreeperDave

Couch Potato

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 2:57 PM

where's Jean Ralphio? I miss him.

He was on "House of Lies" on Showtime. Well, the actor, not the character.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

They shot two endings for the show and Jean Ralphio is in one of them, so he might be in next weeks episode.

LiberryLady

LiberryLady

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:31 PM

Ben yelling "It's a trap!" made me so happy.

I've seen all the Star Wars movies, some more than once, but I still missed this joke. I hate myself for that.

It's Admiral Akbar, from Return of the Jedi. It's become an internet meme, too. I didn't connect it with Star Wars until I got here, though.

I liked the episode fine, but I'm ready for the campaign to be over. I guess I enjoy Leslie more when the stakes aren't super-high, but she treats them as such. (penguin weddings, a vandalized statue, Anne not working a job where she has to get stuff out of patients' butts.)

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 10:56 PM

I guess I enjoy Leslie more when the stakes aren't super-high, but she treats them as such. (penguin weddings, a vandalized statue, Anne not working a job where she has to get stuff out of patients' butts.)

That's a good point. I think I feel the same way. There's something charming as well as absurd when a small thing is given great importance.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted May 4, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

just like Paul Rudd did when he was waving like his little Wii avatar!

His little wave when he said the Wii Bowling guy looked like him cracked me up.

Poor Microsoft. They probably paid good money for their product placement Kinect.

dustdevil

dustdevil

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 12:17 AM

I missed it last night, so I just watched the producer's cut online. Not sure if it was in the broadcast cut, but Donna's name for her Benz made me giggle especially hard.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:58 AM

I feel bad for Bobby Newport. Paul Rudd has done a great job with him and I hope they have a plan to keep his character. What is sad is I think he COULD actually be a good politician. If they actually coached him on the issues and he tried a little to learn about the city rather than just using his money and family's influence to spin everything their direction, I think he likely would win. He is a likeable guy, outgoing, he has no ill will towards anyone, even Leslie as they are in the middle of the race.

Also I thought for sure the reveal was going to be that his dad is not really dead, that this was just a political move to get Leslie to not campaign for the last day of the race because they knew it was so close.

Andy hitting Jerry with the pie in slow motion made me laugh so hard. "No wait! It was a from a higher angle..."

ALso I thought it was going to turn out April threw the pie and was trying to hit Jerry

peeayebee

peeayebee

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 9:04 AM

Poor Microsoft. They probably paid good money for their product placement Kinect.

Oops! Really? I've only played Wii once, so I don't have a good idea of what each product looks like.

Blue32

Blue32

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:02 AM

The code names killed me. For the record:

Ann: "Been there, done that."
April: "Currently doing that"
Donna: "It happened once in a dream"
Chris: "If I had to pick a dude"
Ben: "Eagle Two"

Hee hee hee.

Edited by Blue32, May 5, 2012 @ 10:03 AM.

Shanna Marie

Shanna Marie

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 10:06 AM

I guess I enjoy Leslie more when the stakes aren't super-high, but she treats them as such. (penguin weddings, a vandalized statue, Anne not working a job where she has to get stuff out of patients' butts.)

Yes, exactly! The campaign episodes have been stressful to watch, and watching a comedy shouldn't be stressful.

I do wonder if focusing so much on politics (even local) during a contentious political season was a mistake, especially given the ratings. The writers and producers may be very political and love this stuff, but there are a lot of people (like me) who would prefer to escape it in our entertainment. A TV show about a local political campaign is less funny when your viewing of it is repeatedly interrupted by automated campaign calls from various city council candidates in real life. That made me kind of want them to drive that campaign bus over a cliff (and why couldn't they have ferried senior citizens to the polls in the giant campaign bus?).

I'll be glad when this is over and we can return to fun with petty bureaucracy.

Setlist

Setlist

Fanatic

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:01 AM

Thank jeebus Nick Offerman exists. I really dislike the actor who played the van guy. I can't even tell you why.

When I saw Mike O'Malley, I kept on expecting him to talk about the AggroCrag. I know he's been in a billion things since, but my introduction to him was GUTS, so it's always my fallback.

I really do love Paul Rudd on the show. When Bobby Newport first made an appearance, I was kind of bland on the whole thing - I'm not usually into shows bringing on bigger-name guest stars. But as mentioned earlier, he seems to really blend well with the show. And based on what we've heard (Philly Justice) he seems to blend well off-screen with the cast, too.

The code names killed me.

What was Leslie's? Andy mentioned it while she was heading towards the podium. Something like "I'd Be Lying If I Told You I Hadn't Thought About It".

bulldawgtownie

bulldawgtownie

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 11:32 AM

What is sad is I think he COULD actually be a good politician. If they actually coached him on the issues and he tried a little to learn about the city rather than just using his money and family's influence to spin everything their direction

That could only happen if he wants to be a politician but it's clear he's only running because of his dad. Now if he should win he could decide to be a good politician although if he wins I think it would be funny if they replace him with Dylan McDermott.

What was Leslie's? Andy mentioned it while she was heading towards the podium. Something like "I'd Be Lying If I Told You I Hadn't Thought About It".

Yeah, that was it.

Xbox Pancake

Xbox Pancake

Channel Surfer

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 4:13 PM

I liked the episode fine, but I'm ready for the campaign to be over. I guess I enjoy Leslie more when the stakes aren't super-high, but she treats them as such.

This is pretty much how I feel as well. I've enjoyed the campaign for the most part, but I think the show ultimately has gotten bogged down by the weight of this storyline. For one thing, it seriously limited the types of stories the writers could tell. For another, by focusing so heavily on Leslie, several other characters have gotten a bit lost along the way. Next season (assuming there is one - c'mon NBC!), I hope that they get back to telling smaller stories that allow all the characters to shine.

I do wonder if focusing so much on politics (even local) during a contentious political season was a mistake, especially given the ratings.

I think that the writers seriously underestimated the level of political apathy in this country. I think the campaign storyline may have also hurt ratings by making the show so serialized. I imagine it would be very difficult for a new or casual viewer to be able to completely figure out what is going on at this point.

Edited by Xbox Pancake, May 5, 2012 @ 4:59 PM.

HickoryColt

HickoryColt

Stalker

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 5:38 PM

I acutally think they have done a good job making the campaign storyline funny and interesting.

Blaze Domingo

Blaze Domingo

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:13 PM

This is pretty much how I feel as well. I've enjoyed the campaign for the most part, but I think the show ultimately has gotten bogged down by the weight of this storyline. For one thing, it seriously limited the types of stories the writers could tell. For another, by focusing so heavily on Leslie, several other characters have gotten a bit lost along the way.

I totally agree. The whole campaign arc hasn't been strong enough to build an entire season around. It pretty much peaked with the "Get On Your Feet" ice walk.

Cerpintaxt815

Cerpintaxt815

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 8:17 PM

Get up, and make it happen!

m love

m love

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 12:57 PM

Ann: "Been there, done that."
April: "Currently doing that"
Donna: "It happened once in a dream"
Chris: "If I had to pick a dude"
Ben: "Eagle Two"

And Leslie: "I'd be lying if I said I haven't thought about it"

I cracked up at Donna and her car at the end! I'm used to my cars being named after girls, so I was surprised when she called it "Michael"... but I have to agree with her reasoning behind it ;)

Author By Night

Author By Night

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 3:17 PM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who has gotten a bit tired of the campaign storyline!

Honestly, I sort of wish this were being handled like the Harvest Festival arc of season three; always there, but not to the point where nothing else seems to happen. Really, they could've used the arc to show other characters trying to step up as well. Why not give Ann a storyline relating to trying to get a new job in the nursing field, or going to school to become a doctor, rather than just have her get guy storylines? Why not have April graduate community college - while I know you can go to community college forever (I did, heh), it might still be interesting to see her really having to contemplate what she wants to do in life. I guess there's not a whole lot of comic value there, but the show's always been good about stuff like that. The season could've been about everyone's campaign, not just Leslie's. I haven't hated this season, but I've missed seeing our other characters. And I wouldn't even have minded a Leslie storyline that wasn't campaign related.

Speaking of which, where has Marlene been? I realize Marlene's always been a bit self-interested (it was established in season one that she's always been a bit apathetic about Leslie's political career, although I'm not sure how "canon" season one is as a lot has been retcon'd), but you'd think she would be somewhere.

BlakeSpeare

BlakeSpeare

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 5:53 PM

One of my biggest complaints about the election storyline is that it's really made me hate the people of Pawnee.

It was easy to enjoy the locals, despite their cluelessness, when we didn't have to take their cluelessness seriously. If they don't appreciate public parks, or they have complaints about finding turkey sandwiches that don't have any mayonnaise on them, that's more amusing than infuriating.

But seeing the way they act about politics just makes me loathe them. The writers have practically turned Pawneeans into a symbol of everything that's wrong with American politics.

MsTaken

MsTaken

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 6:18 PM

For one thing, it seriously limited the types of stories the writers could tell. For another, by focusing so heavily on Leslie, several other characters have gotten a bit lost along the way.

I completely agree. I realize Leslie was always the lead, but the election story has altered the dynamic to feel like the show really is All. About. Leslie. and furthering along this one character's goals, which ironically is making Leslie/AP less lovable and root-worthy than she was for me before while simultaneously making the supporting characters a whole lot less interesting than they used to be.

I guess I enjoy Leslie more when the stakes aren't super-high, but she treats them as such.

Excellent insight. I, too, miss the snarky yet touching 'little things matter a lot in both' feel, especially when the thing that's now *supposed* to matter a lot to the characters and us as viewers---the election---doesn't actually matter to me much at all!

I don't want to overstate my discontent with the show. I'm still enjoying it; I just want to go back to enjoying it as much as I used to.

Betsyb

Betsyb

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 7:35 PM

I love politics and political stories. And I don't think this show has focused more on Leslie than usual as most of them have had their own stories. Tom and Ann, Chris's collapse, Ron has been pulled into a few different stories with April/Andy and Chris. Not saying those work but I would bet if you really compared it to last season they aren't spending so much more time supporting Leslie than they were when they all centered around the Parks department and her ideas like the Harvest Festival (remember how they concluded that in a few episodes that was nice).

I think the major problem with the second half of this season is it has just been really really dull and unfunny. Honestly, I don't even look forward to watching anymore. After Community and 30 Rock I either get back to work or go out for drinks. Before I would make a point to stick around for Parks.

Edited by Betsyb, May 6, 2012 @ 7:39 PM.