That Metal Show

• Please log in to reply

63 replies to this topic

jackiecarr

jackiecarr

Stalker

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 1:10 PM

Is anyone else watching this on VH1 Classic? It's a talk show with live audience format hosted by Eddie Trunk, Jim Florentine, and Don Jamieson interviewing "classic" metal musicians. I caught it over the weekend and Frankie from Anthrax was on. It seems they're on lead singer #4.

It looks like all the episodes are online, so I'm going to catch up.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 11:55 PM

I like the show, but it should be an hour long. They get some great guests, but don't really do anything interesting with them. "Stump the Trunk" wastes too much time.

Luther Heggs

Luther Heggs

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 17, 2009 @ 6:50 PM

It almost seems like it should be a radio show.

Sterling Blue

Sterling Blue

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 11:25 AM

I've signed up to record the series on my DVR. I like it overall so far. It's entertaining, in its low-budget "Wayne's World" way.

I like the show, but it should be an hour long. They get some great guests, but don't really do anything interesting with them. "Stump the Trunk" wastes too much time.

I agree. They should ask the guests more questions, and have less of the hosts yammering on about who knows more about heavy metal.

It almost seems like it should be a radio show.

Eddie Trunk comes from radio, and sometimes it shows. They should take advantage of the fact that this is a TV show. Like they could play a couple of the guest artist's videos and ask them to tell some behind-the-scenes stories about making the videos. Or during the interviews, get the artists to open up about some wild experiences they've had out on the road. This show is on late-night on cable, and they can be a little more risque with what they talk about. It seems like thye're playing it a little too safe.

I used to love the old "Headbangers Ball" (the original series that was on the air in the '80s and '90s), and I guess this is VH1 Classic's version of that, but "That Metal Show" really needs to be longer than half an hour.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2009 @ 12:50 PM

Is anyone else still watching? I'm a big Queensryche fan, but I also know Geoff and Susan Tate and have had some personal issues with them in the past. That said, I thought Geoff actually came off very well on the show, and actually showed a sense of humor that I didn't really know was there.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 3:18 AM

I'm still watching (online). My only complaint is still that the show should be an hour long. I like Sterling Blue's suggestions. Still, I'm a sucker for any show that loves 70s and 80s hard rock/metal.

(Jim Florentine's neck disturbs me)

snaggle

snaggle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 20, 2009 @ 11:27 AM

Speaking of Jim's neck, what exactly happened there? I know they have made fun of him in 2 eps for it, and in another they sincerly asked him, and he made a smartass joke and didn't answer.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 4:38 PM

VH1 Classic announced that a new season will start on 10/16/10. Click here to see the guest lineup (scroll about halfway down).

Plus, I got my wish (yay!): they're expanding to a one-hour format.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Oct 4, 2010 @ 6:20 PM

Yep, I was happy to hear about the expanded time slot, too. And Chuck Billy! And MYLES FREAKING KENNEDY with Slash. Sorry, but I love me some Myles. Good lineup this season.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 17, 2010 @ 6:35 AM

The Ronnie James Dio tribute show was nicely done. In the Rainbow v. Sabbath throwdown, I would have voted Sabbath.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Oct 18, 2010 @ 11:38 AM

I would have voted Sabbath, too, but then I prefer Dio to Ozzy. *ducks*

And I agree the tribute was nicely done. Dio will be sorely missed in the metal world.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 31, 2010 @ 2:12 AM

The one hour format has worked great so far. I'm glad they're using the extra time mostly to expand the interviews.

As for this past episode, Phil Anselmo is a fun guest, but Bruce Kulick kind of got short shrift. Cool seeing George Lynch as the guest guitarist.

In the contest of Fifth Mount Rushmore thrash band, I would have voted Overkill, hands down. In fact I'd replace Anthrax with them.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Nov 1, 2010 @ 3:06 PM

Not me... Testament all the way. Chuck Billy is one of the best frontmen in thrash, and their last album was AMAZING. And The Skolnick rules us all. What I thought was hilarious was that Testament really won the audience poll by just a small margin, but Eddie & Co. wouldn't call it that way because none of them voted for Testament. Heh. I might go with them replacing Anthrax in its current form, but that's because I'm much more of a John Bush girl.

Anselmo's kind of an idiot. He seems to me like the years of drug abuse has really damaged his brain. I also liked seeing George Lynch, because I do love me some old-school Dokken, but every time I see him it always reminds me of the time I met him, and how he smelled like stale cigarettes and hair grease.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 2:59 AM

Still loving the expanded format. The Chuck Billy and Tesla interviews were great. Good to hear that Chuck has a clean bill of health.

But how does Van Halen not win the best logo contest? I like KISS, but their logo sucks ass.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Nov 18, 2010 @ 1:55 PM

But how does Van Halen not win the best logo contest? I like KISS, but their logo sucks ass.

Agree totally. The fact that none of them mentioned Metallica or Queensryche was kind of lame, too.

I'm a native Northern Californian, so I loved seeing JK, Frankie and Chuck on the same show. I think just about all of us have run into one of the Tesla guys around town at some point, and outside of Tommy Skeoch (who isn't in the band anymore, anyway), you never hear one negative word about any of them. Particularly Jeff, who is one of the absolute nicest, most genuine people I have ever met.

I also liked that Eddie gave The Formation of Damnation some love. That's one of the best old school thrash records released in this entire decade.

Luciano

Luciano

Fanatic

Posted Nov 21, 2010 @ 1:31 PM

Metallica was on Don's list and ended up in the #3 spot. It was Iron Maiden that was nowhere to be found (how?!) until Tracii Gunns mentioned it.

Bill Ward was such a gentleman, it was cracking me up.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Nov 22, 2010 @ 1:15 PM

I must have forgotten Metallica. Brain fart!

I honestly thought Bill Ward and Glenn Danzig were kind of boring.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Nov 23, 2010 @ 11:23 AM

Danzig was clearly nervous in the interview, and it was kind of uncomfortable to watch.

The throwdown was a good one. I'd have to vote Blizzard of Ozz over Heaven and Hell, though. I prefer Dio's voice over Ozzy's, but those Blizzard songs are so great and Randy Rhoads is a beast on that album.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Nov 23, 2010 @ 12:44 PM

Danzig was clearly nervous in the interview, and it was kind of uncomfortable to watch.

Yeah, he seems to have zero sense of humor, so talking to two "comedians" probably made him nervous.

rit56

rit56

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2011 @ 5:55 PM

In the 90's I worked in a record store on St Marks in NY. Axl Rose one day wore a Misfits t-shirt and suddenly they were huge. We used to sell their vinyl for a ton of money. Misfits mania. Anyway people used to talk about how Glenn Danzig screwed the band out of all the money. Everyone does it I guess. Every time I see him I think about that story. He's a little guy that Glenn..... I really like this show though. All three are great and are really into metal which is why the show works. It's honesty from the 3 hosts. Anyone see Trent Reznor receive a Golden Globe last week? That was interesting... We get older.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 21, 2011 @ 10:16 PM

Just bumping to let the multitude of TWoP fans of this show know that a new season has started. My recommendation: just skip the first show, it was pretty lame.

This season's lineup:

3/19 - Kirk Hammett, Uli Jon Roth
3/26 - Ace Frehley, Billy Sheehan
4/2 - David Coverdale, Lita Ford
4/9 - Chris Jericho, Yngwie Malmsteen
4/16 - Duff McKagan, Glenn Hughes
4/23 - Matt Sorum, Cherie Currie, Joey Belladonna, Jim Norton
4/30 - Sebastian Bach, Steve "Lips" Kudlow, Rob Reiner, G5
5/7 - Carmine Appice, Dave Meniketti
5/14 - Scrap Metal

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 10:50 AM

Yeah, Kirk just isn't an exciting interview, and I was cringing at him plugging his "book." I'm looking forward to Billy Sheehan this week, though, because I'm a huge Mr. Big fan.

Ananayel

Ananayel

Fanatic

Posted Mar 23, 2011 @ 6:31 PM

I don't think they should have made this be an hour long. Too much filler, too much of the three hosts yakking, stupid stuff like agreeing on the list of five whatevers. It's much better in shorter bursts.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 10:50 AM

I don't think they should have made this be an hour long. Too much filler, too much of the three hosts yakking, stupid stuff like agreeing on the list of five whatevers. It's much better in shorter bursts.

I'm actually fine with the hour format, but they really do need to get rid of the filler and spend more time with the guests. Also, maybe have a band play live from time to time? And while I know it's on VH1 Classic, it wouldn't hurt to have some newer faces on that appreciate the classic stuff, like maybe Corey Taylor from Stone Sour or the Black Tide boys.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 30, 2011 @ 4:43 AM

The Ace Frehley/Billy Sheehan show was a lot of fun. Really good interviews, and Eddie's rants about the R&R Hall of Fame are always enjoyable. That smoke-flute thing was a nice wtf moment.

I'm not familiar with Mr. Big (other than the horrible To Be With You), but Sheehan seemed pretty cool. He reminded me of Peter Weller. I might check out his work.

Alice Cooper should have won the "Staged Antics" contest by a landslide.

Standoffish

Standoffish

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 12:32 AM

David Coverdale was a really fun guest. I also liked the Lita Ford interview. This may have been my favorite episode of the show.

(I'd choose the 1987 eponymous Whitesnake album over Slide It In, by a hair)

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 5, 2011 @ 12:19 PM

David Coverdale was a really fun guest. I also liked the Lita Ford interview. This may have been my favorite episode of the show.

I liked it, too, although I did find it strange when Lita compared her divorce to Tina Turner. Was Gillette smacking her around? Because that's how I took it.

KADC

KADC

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2011 @ 8:14 PM

He's a little guy that Glenn.....

I always got Napoleon Complex vibes from Danzig. Never liked the Misfits, anyway, although my husband had some Samhain records (yes, real vinyl) when we met. I'd be more interested in hearing about Samhain than the Misfits or Danzig. Every kid who couldn't deal with real punk rock, but wanted to seem hard, listened to the Misfits.

starleen

starleen

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 10, 2011 @ 9:34 AM

Yngwie Malmsteen. Oh, my. The spray tan, the gold, the hair, the sunglasses, the leather. Wow.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2011 @ 2:16 PM

Oh, Yngwie. Yeah, that guy is perpetually stuck in 1987 and up his own ass. But he's such an egotist that it sort of comes back around to being funny again.