3-15: "The Bubble" 2009.03.09 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

151 replies to this topic

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 1:37 PM

From NBCUMV.com:

LIZ (TINA FEY) LEARNS THAT DREW’S (GUEST STAR JON HAMM) GOOD LOOKS AND CHARM HAVE BROUGHT HIM SPECIAL TREATMENT. TRACY’S (TRACY MORGAN) CONTRACT IS UP FOR RENEGOTIATION AND JACK (ALEC BALDWIN) MUST FIND A WAY TO KEEP HIM AT “TGS.” MEREDITH VIEIRA ALSO GUEST STARS
As Liz (Fey) spends more time with her boyfriend Drew (Hamm), she finds that his handsomeness has allowed him to bypass many of the usual frustrations of daily life. While Liz deals with her new relationship, Jack (Baldwin) must find a way to convince Tracy (Morgan) to stay on at “TGS” after his contract expires. Jenna (Jane Krakowski) considers a new hairstyle to attract public attention. Jack McBrayer, Scott Adsit, Judah Friedlander and Katrina Bowden also star.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:00 PM

Mirkens for Hope.

Love it.

But what could BFF be?

filmicdrummer

filmicdrummer

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:01 PM

The subtitled "French" was the hardest I've laughed since "No you don't, Oprah!"

Maleficient

Maleficient

Fanatic

• Interests:music videos; zachary quinto

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:02 PM

I would bet anything that this was the photo Jack showed Liz.

The Jenna scenes were, as always, brilliant. ("Describe my looks." "Fading." "'80s." "1880s.") Jane Krakowski needs to get an Emmy.

Edited by Maleficient, Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:02 PM.

converse1973

converse1973

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:02 PM

First of all, this episode turned my frown upside down. To many quotable lines in this episode. This one deserves multiple viewings. It was excellent! The Cosby imitation scene was hilarious. I don't know what another meaning for BFF either.
“I came here to see the dumbest cracker in New York.”
“Family who’s in charge of my thirst.”

shockey80te

shockey80te

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

This ep was absolutely hilarious.

Tracy Junior... I honestly don't know what to say other than spinoff (and George Foreman).

Fading, 80s, 1880s. That's Jenna!

Bill Cosby did what to the aunt with the droopy eye? That entire scene was ridiculous, especially AB's Billy Dee Williams voice.

Edited by shockey80te, Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:06 PM.

ReadIshmael

ReadIshmael

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:05 PM

Loved this episode. Definitely my favorite one in a while. I adored all three stories, and pretty much every joke worked for me.

I particularly loved Tracy, Jr. and Dr. Drew's freak-out on the tennis court. Also, I'll never get tired of Liz's Jack impression, even if she lost it and ended up with Batman (hee!).

whiterose23

whiterose23

Couch Potato

• Interests:30 Rock, The Amazing Race, American Idol, America's Next Top Model, Battlestar Galactica, Brothers and Sisters, Desperate Housewives, Heroes, The L Word, Lost, My Name is Earl, The Office, Veronica Mars, Gossip Girl, Chuck, Ugly Betty, Dancing With the Stars, Top Chef, Pushing Daisies, Dirty Sexy Money, Life, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles, Weeds, Entourage, South of Nowhere, Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:08 PM

Fantastic episode.

I think my favorite part was the French subtitles followed closely by Jenna asking everyone to describe her looks. Tracy Jr. cracked me up as well. That kid is hilariously scary.

Jack turning the whole thing around on Tracy was pure genius. Love it. Sorry to see Dr. Drew gone but I'm with Liz. I don't think I'd be able to stand being friends, let alone having a relationship with someone who lives in a bubble. "I can use 'ironic' however I want." Heh.

So many great quotes tonight; this one definitely merits a re-watch.

ETA: I floved the Lost shout-out!

Edited by whiterose23, Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:09 PM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

• Interests:Music, theater (musical but also other), reading

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:09 PM

Liz doing Jack and ending up with Batman was wonderful.

But even better was them reminiscing about the last 3 years with Tracy ("I'm thinking about them now"), trying so hard to have flashbacks, but failing, and walking off their separate ways.

insanityjones

insanityjones

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

Merkins For Hope is quite possibly the best thing I've ever heard. I need a t-shirt for that one, asap.

Sad to see Jon Hamm go. He's so pretty with his floppy hair.

Edited by insanityjones, Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:11 PM.

MMartianIND

MMartianIND

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

I had to look up "mirkens." Urban Dictionary is getting a lot of business from me over these last few weeks because of this show.

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

I laughed the hardest at Jenna's fashion loss to Miss Piggy, and Jack's totally random Billy Dee Williams impression.

LonePirate

LonePirate

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:16 PM

After last week's outstanding episode, this one was a let down. There were some funny moments with Jack, Tracy and Jenna but anytime Liz and Drew were on screen, the laughs stopped and the episode became tedious. I'm hoping this was Jon Hamm's last show appearance as he brought nothing to the show, especially not laughs.

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:18 PM

I think my favorite part was the French subtitles followed closely by Jenna asking everyone to describe her looks. Tracy Jr. cracked me up as well. That kid is hilariously scary.

He was in Role Models with Paul Rudd. If you liked him here, you'll love him in that.

icyblue

icyblue

Couch Potato

• Interests:Writing, the arts & entertainment, hiking, biking, water sports.

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:22 PM

"Charles-something-something" two weeks in a row. Bet it's an Aliceism. (Please, if I'm right, someone from the show log on so I can pathetically gloat to these other anonymous screennames.) But after last week's slang I don't think I want to know the alternative meaning of BFF.

And oh you relationship-teasers with your Liz wanting to keep the hottie pic of Jack.

So who's starting the online petition for Jane's Emmy nom?

(Hey, Tina got to show off her mad tennis skillz! Pretty good backhand.)

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:23 PM

I agree - fantastic episode. Tracy Jr was hilarious, but I really got off on the personal connections I had to this episode. I've played tennis where they shot those scenes and Barney Greengrass is right around the corner from my apartment. I should be able to figure out exactly when they were there since it was snowing that day. Can't believe I missed seeing them in person.
Did anyone else think Jon Hamm was going to be in a motorcycle wreck and ruin his face at the end?

mtlchickie

mtlchickie

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:24 PM

Jack is REALLY bothered by DotCom's smarts, isn't he?

Kickass episode. Liz's impression of Jack which turned into Batman was nothing but awse. And Jenna...well, what can you do, Miss Piggy knows how to rock a dress. The only thing that threw me off was Calvin Klein asking Drew to be a model since I think he's no longer designing.

MMartianIND

MMartianIND

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:27 PM

But mtlchickie, Calvin would start designing again just for him!

lz1982

lz1982

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:31 PM

Calvin Klein's appearance made me think of a Seinfeld ep where Kramer modeled for him. They didn't cast the real CK, but he actually looked kind of similar. I'm not sure I've seen Klein before.

Waterfowl

Waterfowl

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:32 PM

"I'm Calvin Klein, and I think you should be my next underwear model."
[Walks away]

Simply amazing.

Skylergirl

Skylergirl

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:34 PM

But what could BFF be?

Well, according to the Urban Dictionary, it could be Butt F-ing Friend.

I did not know what a mirken was - this show is corrupting me.

More Tracy Jr please!

chitowngirl

chitowngirl

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:36 PM

I would bet anything that this was the photo Jack showed Liz.

That's exactly what I was thinking too!

myriadphalanx

myriadphalanx

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:39 PM

Calvin Klein was on an episode of Friends, too. This guy really gets around the NBC sitcom world.

"You're what I picture Judas to look like!" Awesome.

Did anyone else think Jon Hamm was going to be in a motorcycle wreck and ruin his face at the end?

I was actually thinking that Liz was going to wing a tennis ball into his face, and we'd have an episode of him adjusting to life outside the bubble.

Botswana

Botswana

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:41 PM

I didn't think of that, but the sight of him riding away was one of the funniest things I've ever seen....EVER!

divinemadness

divinemadness

Video Archivist

• Interests:30 Rock, The Office, Lost, How I Met Your Mother, Arrested Development, Curb Your Enthusiasm, It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia Big Love, Flight of the Conchords, Saturday Night Live, The Big Bang Theory, Chuck.<br /><br />Late night: Daily Show, Letterman and Conan.<br /><br />non-tv related interests: art history, travel, scrapbooking, painting, my 2 year old papillion Bailey, graphic design and photography.

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:44 PM

Calvin Klein was on an episode of Friends, too. This guy really gets around the NBC sitcom world.

Calvin's daughter is Marci Klein, producer of 30 Rock and SNL.

rhys7

rhys7

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 9:46 PM

Heh, I looked up both Merkin and Mirken. Enjoy!
Could everyone understand what Ken said when he reverted to his southern talk?

samsnee

samsnee

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

Well, according to the Urban Dictionary, it could be Butt F-ing Friend.

Yeah, but both Jack and Tracy wore one, so I don't want to really go to that thought.

Bookwormrach

Bookwormrach

Stalker

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 10:08 PM

Loved this episode. Definitely my favorite one in a while. I adored all three stories, and pretty much every joke worked for me.

Agreed. My favorite since "St. Valentine's Day" (though I did love the Tracy-related parts of "Larry King." Who am I kidding, I love every episode)--so many truly laugh out lines (Liz's Batman voice, Kenneth's 'my accent comes out when I'm mad and I'm incomprehensible' [whose native accent doesn't?], Jenna's "team" meeting, Felicity hair shout-out; Tracy's response to "Bill Cosby", everything involving Dr. Drew). This episode's exploration of the lives of pretty people toed the line of being funny about the "Dr. Drew/Ceries" of the world but not like, omg, the bitterness of the smart and "normally attractive" people.

I loved the resolution of the Liz and Drew relationship--it seemed different and just refreshing and funny. Liz wasn't screwing up this time, and neither was Drew, it was just...not meant to be. The writing was sharp and quick tonight; for me it was like one smart line after a ridiculous/hilarious line.

Writer13

Writer13

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 10:21 PM

Great episode.

Tracy Jr. was hilarious. Poor kid had to sit through his dad singing about a fat lady's neck.

I couldn't understand what Kenneth was saying in his southern talk.

Loved Liz's Jack impression and I'm satisfied with how the Drew/Liz relationship ended, as Bookwormrach mentioned.

And yes, give Jane an Emmy!

ETA: I just looked up "merkin." Oh my! 30 Rock is definitely corrupting me.

Edited by Writer13, Mar 19, 2009 @ 10:25 PM.

pennylane83

pennylane83

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 10:25 PM

Drew was used as the basis for Prince Eric? HAHA, Tina Fey you have my heart forever.