Party Down

• Please log in to reply

557 replies to this topic

cherrybomb1108

cherrybomb1108

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 12:20 AM

Description from Starz:

Party Down is about a group of struggling dreamers who are stuck working for tips while waiting for their big break. As employees of the L.A. catering company “Party Down,” these misfits mingle with guests at everything from sweet sixteen parties to the most lavish Hollywood soirees.

Follow these engaging wannabes as they wait on guests while waiting on something better to come along. The series premieres Friday, March 20th at 10:30pm ET/PT. Only on Starz.

Starz On Demand already has the pilot available.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 12:48 AM

I was waiting for someone to start a thread for this one. I already watched the pilot. Granted I was into this show from the get go just by virtue of the assembled cast. Between the Veronica Mars people, Martin Starr and Lizzy Caplan it was a no brainer for me.

I enjoyed the pilot, though most of the critics who have reviewed it have said it really starts to come together in the third episode. I'm hoping this show won't get completely ignored just because it's on Starz.

Edited by spanana, Mar 21, 2009 @ 9:36 PM.

glitter5579

glitter5579

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 4:55 PM

I wasn't hugely crazy about the pilot, it had an Arrested Development feel, but didn't quite hit the same mark that that show did in its pilot. I do love Rob Thomas so I'll give it a few episodes, I looked at the cast list on IMDB and it looks like many VM actors will be filtering in and out of episodes. A warning though the pilot contains more of Enrico Colantino than you'll ever want to see

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 6:44 PM

I didn't think the pilot was amazing, but I'm also going to chalk that up to it being a pilot. I still liked it. The critics, who got to see the first three episodes, seem to be pretty jazzed about it, so we'll see.

Edited by spanana, Mar 18, 2009 @ 2:44 PM.

Paul O Regan

Paul O Regan

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 6:37 AM

Can't watch the pilot on the website, probably because I'm outside the US. :(

http://www.starz.com...n/ScreeningRoom

Spadada

Spadada

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 4:12 PM

I have heard what you have all heard about the first two episodes not being the strongest - from people who work on the show as well as critics. It's supposed to be uphill from the third though, so I plan to stick it out.

Kristin Dos Santos recommends it and then some.

Every cable network that turns to original programming pokes at it for a while and then eventually stumbles across a hit that defines the channel for years to come. FX found itself with The Shield, AMC won big with Mad Men, and now, with Party Down, Starz gets its turn. The story of L.A.-area cater-waiters who supplement their Hollywood dreams by serving appetizers at fancy events, Party Down is genuinely moving—you want these losers to win—but it’s also straight-up funny, with wicked cracks on hand for suburbia, politics and showbiz. Staffed with a combination of producers and actors from the Rob Thomas Players and the Judd Apatow-Comedy Central Axis of Humorous Creatives, Party Down is about to become the discerning TV fan’s next status-symbol series. (Plus, Kristen Bell!)

Verdict: Funny, dirty, transgressive, lovable, smart and smartass, Party Down is a must-see comedy.

Charlie Baker

Charlie Baker

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 2:35 PM

It's promising--coming from Rob Thomas how could it be otherwise? I guess the buzz is that this is the one that clicks, not the Cupid do-over, though I will also check that one out.

I will throw in that I adore Jane Lynch, and she's doing her thing big time in the pilot. Great to see Ken Marino and Ryan Hansen again too.

Oh, and glitter5579, didn't mind your tagged item in the least! Others' mileage may vary, of course.

colt13

colt13

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 4:15 PM

If you have Directv, T101 will show both Party Down and Head Case tomorrow(thursday).

mad_typist

mad_typist

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 10:13 AM

Anything with Jane Lynch gets an automatic 2-3 episodes of my time. The fact that Ken Marino and Lizzy Caplan are in it just further sweetens the deal for me. I'm excited to see the premiere this week.

Jr82

Jr82

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 3:46 PM

Netflix already has the pilot up and you can watch free online. I did and I loved it.

"Ordinary *ucking People"

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Mar 19, 2009 @ 7:59 PM

Mo Ryan posted her thoughts about the show. Like just about every other critic, she says it really starts to pick up steam with the 3rd episode.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Mar 20, 2009 @ 8:21 PM

The second episode is now up on Netflix too. It really is the entire Veronica Mars cast in various guest roles. I don't think I've seen some of these people since that show as cancelled.

After seeing the first two episodes, I think the biggest criticism with this show is going to be that the Ken Marino role is basically a variation on Michael Scott. This is more evident in the second episode than it was in the pilot. That said, the creators have said upfront that this show is supposed to be in the vein of the UK version of The Office, so that is to be expected to some extent. But the Ron character doesn't exactly come across as fresh anymore.

Bix

Bix

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 20, 2009 @ 10:16 PM

The very end in the car was supposed to be a reference to the Tell Me You Love Me pilot, wasn't it?

KevinBean

KevinBean

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 21, 2009 @ 5:44 PM

Hi, everyone, and look forward to interacting with you as the season plays out. I enjoyed the first episode myself, and Enrico Colantoni will hopefully get an Emmy Guest Comedy Actor nomination for that role; he was kickass.

MTV News visited the set as they filmed the May 22 season finale, and interviewed most of the cast, including guest star Kristen Bell. Also, there's a video included herein. :)

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Mar 21, 2009 @ 7:51 PM

I'm diggin' it so far. I've always had an immense amount of love for shows that make me consistently chuckle as opposed to the ones that go for huge guffaws, so this is right up my alley. Also, I'm a genuine fan of all 6 lead actors and it's really cool seeing all of them on the same show.

Though, I was entirely weirded out by the scene with Kyle and the daughter because the last time I saw that actress she was playing Shane Botwin's girlfriend on WEEDS. All I kept thinking was "Ohmygodshesatween!" Then, I remembered that was awhile ago. It still creeped me out little.

ETA: Watching the show randomly reminded me that I need to go buy DIGGERS. I have no idea why Party Down made me think of it, because Ken Marino's characters aren't alike at all, but I that was the movie that officially put KM on my Actor Crush List.

Edited by hardy har, Mar 21, 2009 @ 8:01 PM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 22, 2009 @ 8:41 AM

Though, I was entirely weirded out by the scene with Kyle and the daughter because the last time I saw that actress she was playing Shane Botwin's girlfriend on WEEDS. All I kept thinking was "Ohmygodshesatween!"

That actually freaked me out, too. When the one guy was checking her out I was like, she is a CHILD! Then Ryan Hansen started making out with her and it seriously disturbed me. That doesn't usually bother me (age difference), but she looks very young.

I thought I would like it more than I did, but I did really like it. I'd probably watch it even if it sucked just for the vast VM-ness.

I'm ashamed to admit I'm super excited for ep 2 because of Jason Dohring.

dustdevil

dustdevil

Fanatic

Posted Mar 22, 2009 @ 10:50 PM

I watched episode 1 episode 2 (on netflix) and I think it definitely gets stronger as it goes along. Especially in episode 2 when Ken Marino is trying to "distress" the flag, and Jane Lynch says "since when is Toronto not a part of the United States of America?" My only gripe is that the catering company waiters and bartenders seem to do a lot of socializing with the party guests. It seems like it would be more realistic, and just as funny, to have them observing/commenting on/screwing with the interactions between the guests.

hardy har

hardy har

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2009 @ 5:02 PM

Here are a few articles:

Adam Scott parties down with the Daily News

Funny Girl Next Door (Lizzy Caplan)

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 27, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

I may be one of the few people in the world who didn't watch Veronica Mars at all, but as soon as I saw the cast list, I was hooked.

I just saw the first episode that I had DVRed from Starz, and it wasn't bad. Mainly, I'm only watching for Jane Lynch (whom I love from the Christopher Guest movies) and Ken Marino (whom I love from The State). They're both so good at playing crazy and/or desperate. Or both, in this case. 

The Wisemans winning the Christmas decoration contest just cracked me up for some reason. Loved it. I just really am hoping they refrain from any romance between Casey and Henry. If not, this will definitely be The Office.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Mar 27, 2009 @ 10:35 PM

Ethereal, according to the pre-show interviews with Adam Scott, Henry and Casey most definitely get together. Though according to him, there is no will they or won't they Jim/Pam type stuff going on. It's more like they do and then have to deal with the aftermath of it all.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 28, 2009 @ 4:59 AM

Thanks, spanana! That being the case, I really really hope it's handled well. I can only deal with one Jim-Pam relationship in my lifetime. Well, two if you count Tim-Dawn in the original.

Especially in episode 2 when Ken Marino is trying to "distress" the flag, and Jane Lynch says "since when is Toronto not a part of the United States of America?

I guess I don't need to re-spoiler this quote since episode 2 aired last night on Starz. Just wanted to say that this scene was the funniest scene out of both episodes so far. When called out the black guy and the gay guy for being at the Republican meeting, I was rolling! And Ken Marino's general craziness, especially with the flag. . . Those two mightily make this show for me. 

ETA: Forgot to mention that Fred Savage directed episode 2. I had no idea he was doing directing, but I thought the epi was great.

Edited by Ethereal Zoe, Mar 28, 2009 @ 5:02 AM.

peachmangosteen

peachmangosteen

Stalker

Posted Mar 29, 2009 @ 6:04 PM

Forgot to mention that Fred Savage directed episode 2. I had no idea he was doing directing, but I thought the epi was great.

He directed the first episode too, didn't he?

Edited by peachmangosteen, Mar 29, 2009 @ 6:04 PM.

Ethereal Zoe

Ethereal Zoe

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2009 @ 6:32 PM

He directed the first episode too, didn't he?

Yes, and it looks like he directs future episodes too. I just didn't notice before when I was watching Episode 1. 

honeybunnylittleb

honeybunnylittleb

Fanatic

Posted Mar 29, 2009 @ 6:39 PM

Watched the pilot and I'm gonna watch episode 2 in a few minutes. While I wasn't blown away by the pilot, I love the potential this show has. I am already invested in all of the characters. Also, I'm a Veronica Mars fan, so the possibility of a reunion of the actors is what got me to watch in the first place. Nice to see Ryan Hansen stretching himself. Heh. What are the chances TWoP will recap this show? I suppose if this thread takes off like crazy it might happen. Can't wait for episode 3, when things apparently pick up.

Spadada

Spadada

Fanatic

Posted Mar 31, 2009 @ 9:57 PM

I haven't seen the second episode yet, but I was just watching clips on Starz.com and I love that Jason Dohring's young republication is drinking a fruity girl drink.

Edited by Spadada, Mar 31, 2009 @ 10:00 PM.

Polter-Cow

Polter-Cow

Stalker

Posted Apr 3, 2009 @ 12:34 PM

Though, I was entirely weirded out by the scene with Kyle and the daughter because the last time I saw that actress she was playing Shane Botwin's girlfriend on WEEDS.

THAT'S who that was! I knew she looked familiar.

I liked the second episode more than the pilot. And not just because of Alona Tal! Gosh, so pretty. And that was Jason Dohring as I've never seen him before, heh.

Word is that the show'll probably get a second season on the strength of all the buzz (since so many of the reviews include lines like "This is the reason to order Starz").

litex

litex

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 4, 2009 @ 10:38 PM

This show is fantastic, but I'm the only person I know of who is even aware of it. I feel like this could be the new Arrested Development, with people only catching onto its brilliance when its too late.

spanana

spanana

Stalker

Posted Apr 4, 2009 @ 11:23 PM

I don't think it's quite in the same boat as Arrested Development. Just in the sense that since it's on Starz and a lot of people don't even get Starz, it doesn't quite have the same opportunity a show like AD did airing on regular network. I can't imagine even Starz is expecting this one to catch on like wildfire over night. Maybe with time, but as someone else said it's got to be encouraging for the network that many of the reviews were touting this as a reason to get Starz. So I really do expect them to give this a 2nd season sometime down the road.

The third episode was pretty awesome. Definitely worth checking out. It also certainly answers the what will happen with Henry and Casey question.

honeybunnylittleb

honeybunnylittleb

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2009 @ 8:40 AM

Loved episode 3. I was spoiled for the whole Henry/Casey thing but liked the way it played out. I look forward to more Kyle vs. Roman pranks. If this show was a web series, it would get more attention than it does on Starz. Maybe Starz could do a deal with one of the networks like DirecTV did with NBC for FNL.

Nanc

Nanc

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 5, 2009 @ 11:41 AM

Maybe Starz could do a deal with one of the networks like DirecTV did with NBC -honeyb

That would be great. Just getting NBC or another broadcast network involved would guarantee more viewers... tho I might worry about how much editing would have to take place.

btw, did you know there's already a computer game based on this show?
'Party Down' the game, by some group called 'Merscom'.
  • According to their promo, the game includes:
  • Beautiful Hollywood Party Locations!
  • A Mix Of Different Time Management Styles!
  • Fend Off The Paparazzi To Keep Guests Happy!
  • Chat With The Stars!
Anyone downloaded the demo & tried it?... or seen any reviews of it?

Edited by Nanc, Apr 5, 2009 @ 11:43 AM.