Gossip Girl Fan Fiction Recommedation Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

113 replies to this topic

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 14, 2009 @ 8:22 AM

Y'all knew it was coming: the Gossip Girl fanfic thread. Here's the place to recommend your favorite Gossip Girl fanfics. I'm going to rec some of my favourite fic. This first batch is about friendship and individual character studies even if some of them contain shippy undertones.

Mardia writes some amazing fic. First her AU of Doom is about what would have happened if Dan and Blair became friends during the year Serena and Vanessa were away. Each story deals with an epiosde of the show. She is up to 1x09. This fic is amazing, not only because she writes all the characters sympathetically, but also because she shows how a tweak can change how so many of the characters interactions. Dan and Blair will have a romantic relationship later on in the series.Right now these stories are about the Blair/Dan friendship. Climb A Ladder Up To The Sun,Never Bitter, All Delicious,A Thunderhead In My Heart, New Steps Don't Come Easy,A Change (Would Do You Good), Paper Faces On Parade,Standing In The Way Of Control,The Infrastructure Will Collapse,A Clear And A Deafening Sound
I also like her Nate piece set after the events of 1x14 called Everything I Do (Has Got A Hole In It)

lila82 writes some beautiful character studies. My favorites are All You Ever Wanted. This is a five part story about Blair growing, while at Yale. I linked to the first part. First Breath After the Coma (Or Four Times Someone Else Saved Chuck Bass and One Time He Saved Himself). "No One's Gonna Love You" (Nate), and "Doll Parts" (Alison)

DaeDreemer has written some great friendship stories. Mermaids, Pirates, & Eggos(Nate/Serena/Chuck friendship),Three Together(Chuck/Serena/Eric family bonding after 2x16),Own It (Lily/Bart after 2x09), Not A Habit(Nate/Chuck after 2x05) and New Rules(Serena/Blair mending their friendship after 2x05)

I find it almost impossible to find well written Serena fic so I really loved this story. what it's really like for a girl (to date dan humphrey).

Edited by merrick715, Mar 15, 2009 @ 9:23 AM.

Sugar Bumbee 01

Sugar Bumbee 01

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 2:52 PM

All of Isabelle's Gossip Girl fic is fantastic. Very well written and plotted out. She writes amazing AU's. They're mostly B/C with a few others sprinkled throughout. The most recent is Bringing Up Baby which was updated today.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

• Interests:Blogging, shoes, literature, comics and graphic novels, TV shows, film, music, forensic and cultural anthropology, creative writing, photography, and reinvention.

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 3:38 PM

First off, love this thread idea because I've been reading a lot of fic lately. Isabelle's stuff is good, but I really like all of amomentintime3's stuff. I also like DaeDreemer's "Cutting Room Floor" fic - it's C/B goodness. I usually only read the Chuck centric stories since he's my favorite character, so when I stumble on any other good ones, I'll link them here for fellow Chuck fans.

Thanks for the other suggestions, guys!

sapientiapaucis

sapientiapaucis

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 4:41 PM

The Wake Up Toast, which is beautifully written and Eric-centric, is one of my favourites.

hiddenletter

hiddenletter

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 7:19 PM

I also like DaeDreemer's "Cutting Room Floor" fic - it's C/B goodness.

That's easily my favorite fanfic ever.

kristinw704

kristinw704

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 10:17 PM

I just finished reading "Cutting Room Floor". It is pure magic! Bravo to both the author and the recommender. Such a great story and very true to the characters.

pettymuse

pettymuse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 12:39 AM

I have to admit that sometimes I don't have the patience for long chapter or AU fics, but I can't get enough of "Cutting Room Floor". I'm a few chapters in and just love it. Thanks for the rec!

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 1:10 AM

All four stories are Jenny centric.
everything-inme wrote Talking to the Ceiling which is set after 2x17.

These three fics deal with Jenny's arch during season one.
1.soidistant wrote Time To Pretend. This is the first part and the author said she plans to continue. It can be read as a stand alone.

2.goddesspharo wrote An Outsider's Guide to Social Climbing: Wear a Helmet.

3.dramatic-sigh wrote Follow the Yellow Brick Road This story is amazing. It has an amazing Jenny voice and I love the way she weaves The Wizard of Oz throughout the story.

Edited by merrick715, Mar 16, 2009 @ 1:26 AM.

Sugar Bumbee 01

Sugar Bumbee 01

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 8:37 AM

Merrick715, I loved "what it's really like for a girl (to date dan humphrey)." Such a good Serena voice!

QueenCharisma, "Cutting Room Floor" is fantastic! Thank you for the rec. The characterizations are so good. I think they're really reminiscent of the show because they're just complex enough without being tangled up-- if that makes any sense! ;P

sapientiapaucis, that's just beautiful; world needs more Eric. *nods*

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

• Interests:Blogging, shoes, literature, comics and graphic novels, TV shows, film, music, forensic and cultural anthropology, creative writing, photography, and reinvention.

Posted Mar 17, 2009 @ 3:41 PM

No problem, Sugar Bumbee, pettymuse, and kristinw704! I just hope you guys create accounts over there if you don't already have one and put it on your story alert - the author updates a lot and the story's far from finished. And I know exactly what you mean, Sugar ;) I'm with hiddenletter that's it's one of my favorites ever and I read tons of this stuff.

Now, here is a super long list of mostly Chuck centric fics for those interested (and to warn you, some of these are rated M so if you don't like that kind of stuff, my apologies!):

You're The Only One Who, You Can't Forget Your First, While Wearing a Scarf on a Chilly Night, Try Honesty, Time in Between, Time for Drabbles, Things We've Always Had, The Storm, The Lost Weekend, Take This Longing, Straight, No Chaser, Rules of Engagement, Prove Me Wrong, Once Bitten Twice Shy, Now I Know My ABCs, Lock & Key, I Hate You More, Grand Romantic Gestures, Five Times Blair Bailed Chuck Out of Jail, Finding a Way Back, Chuck and Blair's to do list, Carnival of Fools , And They Lived Happily Ever After or Not , Against the Dying of the Light, A little bit of Heaven and In Love & War.

Now, I haven't read some of these in awhile, but I favorited them for some reason so if they suck, my apologies. I do know that some of them aren't complete and if anyone reads the last one listed, have a box of tissues ready.

Edited by QueenCharisma, Mar 18, 2009 @ 11:44 AM.

Shoosh

Shoosh

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 17, 2009 @ 10:35 PM

I love pretty much everything by Catheryne, and her newest story Mr. and Mrs. Bass is no exception.

Isabelle is another one of my favorite authors for C/B. I cannot recommend Castaways highly enough. Possibly one of my favorite Chair fics. I was little hesitant to read it at first but it totally works! Also, Dear Life, I Hate Chuck Bass is a must read.

NecrOphelia

NecrOphelia

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2009 @ 11:51 PM

I agree so much about "Castaways," Shoosh. I've re-read it so many times, it's kinda sad. At first you think, "How is this gonna even work?" but it totally does. Same with "Dear Life, I Hate Chuck Bass." The premise of Blair getting amnesia is very soap-operaish, but IT WORKS. Isabelle has some great fics.

And Catheryne is very prolific, but my favorite stuff of hers is definitely the historical fiction: Promise of Forever (19th century England), Yesterday's Roses (15th century England - Blair and Chuck as members of the warring houses of Lancaster and York!) and her current WIP Heaven In Your Embrace (Colonial New York on the eve of the Revolution). Sound ridiculous? Yea, I thought so too, before I read them. Now it's like crack to me! I love that it even reads like it was written at the time in which each story is set. Definitely some of my favorites.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 11:39 AM

Same with "Dear Life, I Hate Chuck Bass." The premise of Blair getting amnesia is very soap-operaish, but IT WORKS. Isabelle has some great fics.

That story had me cracking up laughing last night. Thanks for the rec, Shoosh. Isabelle is a mad genius because I just don't understand how she gets me to take stories I would normally roll my eyes at seriously. Blair getting amnesia in Dear Life? The entire country being sunken into a depression where Chuck is the only person with any money left and C/B run away to Scotland (In Love & War)?! I love them, though, and I've probably read her stuff multiple times (especially the latter of the two I just namechecked) - no other fanfic author gets that kind of attention from me.

Does anyone know of any other places besides FanFiction.net to get GG fic? I've only come across two other sites and they were less than impressive.

emrie

emrie

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 12:54 PM

Anyone have any good Missing Moments-type fic to recommend? Specifically of the Chuck/Blair variety? I'm always curious to read about what people think happened between scenes, or after the episodes, or in the heads of the characters during the action. But most of the stuff I've found seems to be longer AU or lengthy plotline fic.

Edited by emrie, Mar 18, 2009 @ 12:54 PM.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 1:53 PM

emrie, there's While Wearing a Scarf on a Chilly Night that's really smutty, lol. If you don't like that kind of stuff, skip it, but it's about the time Blair referenced to Chuck in the episode where his dad got married. Then there's this one: You're The Only One Who, that fills in the blanks for all the times Blair allegedly drunk dialed Chuck. (Well, I doubt she actually did that and he was most likely being facetious, but this author was working under the premise of "what if?").

Those are the only good ones I've found so far that are relatively short.

Shoosh

Shoosh

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 3:01 PM

Hidden Moments by QueVeeBee is very good and is another one of my favorites. It is missing C/B scenes from the pilot to the present. The author last completed 2x06. The chapters are fairly short so none of the lengthy plotlines that you wanted to steer clear of.

Monkeyisland

Monkeyisland

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 23, 2009 @ 3:10 PM

Oh Shoosh as soon as I saw this thread I thought of that fic! It really is fabulous and probably is one of the best GG fics I've ever read, along with "Dear Life, I Hate Chuck Bass". Love it to pieces. "Flutter" is a another favorite of mine, as well. Can you tell I long for the golden days of S1? Sigh...

kristinw704

kristinw704

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 24, 2009 @ 10:51 PM

Here is one I liked. I have been so disappointed with Blair's parents.

Here is Eleanor as she should have been: http://www.fanfictio...To_Be_a_Waldorf.

Supportive parents are all Blair really needs right now.

hgalve

hgalve

Fanatic

Posted Mar 30, 2009 @ 3:39 AM

Since Gossip Girl has pretty much lost me I've been reading fanfics to fill the Chuck/Blair hole it's left in my heart.

Some fanfic recommendations:

The Perfect Year by liveontheedge (Chuck/Blair)
Summary: Sixteen had been not so sweet, seventeen had been worse, but eighteen, eighteen was going to be perfect.
Ballad of A Fallen Angel by dolly shoes (Chuck-centric, Chuck/Blair and very tiny Chuck/Serena)
Summary: Mrs. Bass used to crawl into Chuck's bed late at night, alcohol on her breath, and wrap her dainty arms around her son's tiny frame. The hefty ring on her finger, so heavy it was slowly dragging her down.
Hope Remains by dazzledlight (Chuck/Blair)
Summary: So her life was on the line after hurling over and over again in that porcelain bowl of hers. So she couldn't stop. She felt lost. What should she do now? And why did he have to keep showing up whenever she didn't want him to?
Nobody's Angel by Brookebynature (Chuck/Blair)
Summary: Blair Waldorf isn't going anywhere. Heaven won't take her and Hell's afraid she'll take over. Set after 1x13.
Training Wheels by Who needs coordination anyways (Chuck/Blair)
Summary: “What can I say? I’m irresistible.” Blair rolled her eyes, “No, you’re quite resistible." Life tends to be similar to riding a bike, and Blair Waldorf is tired of relying on her training wheels.

I really like goddesspharo's oneshots from livejournal, as well. I recommend reading her stuff since I think they're brilliant. My personal favorites are:
Take Apart The Demons, Add It To The List
Summary: Maybe he could sit with her in the courtyard before class with the right headphone in her ear and the left in his, listening to British pop-punk as their Wednesday morning compromise, the hisses of knocked up slut and dirt bag of a best friend stinging less with half the world tuned out.
No One Woos Like Gaston
Summary: She tries to think of a reason why Belle would have wanted to be with Gaston in the end.
Beef, It's What's For Dinner
Summary: There are plenty of things that Chuck can think of doing with Blair at the penthouse while Eleanor is away on business, but watching her watch Dorota smack a slab of raw Kobe beef onto his face is definitely not one of them.
You'll Get Your Wings Clipped
Summary: If the two of you were better people, history would re-write itself instead of looping around and playing over and over again, connections severing with every turn like an ax blade swinging on a pendulum.
This Offer Stands Forever
Summary: She takes his hand and makes a circle with his thumb and her index finger, brings it to her eye and traps the world with their fingertips while she tries to memorize this moment.

But they're all so good, really so I suggest just reading all of her fics. Here's a link to all her Gossip Girl stuff.

I also suggest trying Prince Obnoxious and The Bitch by cherryroad, Turn Me Onto the Idea of Growing Old by arewewinning, and Dirty and Mean; The Dream Was Just The Same by wellthatdepends. All are Chuck/Blair and one-shots. I've read a lot of great fanfics out there and these are only a few. A few of the other great ones have already been mentioned, so I won't bother repeating them.

I really need to get out more.

Edited by hgalve, Mar 30, 2009 @ 2:28 PM.

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2009 @ 9:49 AM

Here is rare look at Serena's life pre-series from her perspective.
These Things She Keeps Behind Her Eyes
Rating:Definitely an R for drinking, drugs, swearing, and sex
Pairings:Serena/Blair, Serena/Georgina, Serena/Nate, Serena/Random Guys, hinted at Serena/Chuck, Plus, Blair/Nate and some Georgina/Chuck, if you squint.
Summary:Serena can see so many things; she wants to un-see so many things.

QueenCharisma

QueenCharisma

Fanatic

Posted May 24, 2009 @ 5:41 PM

Will Not Remember, Cannot Forget This is just awesome! It's Chuck-centric with Chuck/Georgina and Chuck/Blair pairings.

Edited by QueenCharisma, May 24, 2009 @ 5:42 PM.

hiddenletter

hiddenletter

Video Archivist

Posted Aug 20, 2009 @ 3:42 PM

I have a request for something very stupid, but which I haven't seen: does anyone know of a Chuck amnesia fan fiction? There are a ton of them focused on Blair, but I thought a Chuck-centric one might be good.

coltlady

coltlady

Loyal Viewer

Posted Sep 2, 2009 @ 12:21 PM

One of my absolute favorite fanfics is Between the Shadow and the Soul by courtneybelle. It's a future fic told from the viewpoint of CB's daughter. It's amazing. Also check out In Fair Manhatten by the same author. This one is based on Romeo and Juliet but with an UES twist. It is amazingly well-done.

A smutty lost moments fic is Our Little Secret by Kensley-Jackson. Another one of my favorites.

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2009 @ 10:25 PM

Any good Chuck/Dan slashfics?

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 8, 2009 @ 8:04 AM

MethodActor05 here are some fics I liked. Some contain other pairings besides Chuck/Dan
1.The Bassmobile or Five Times Chuck Bass Had Sex in a Limo. by bond_girl
Pairings:Chuck/OFC, Chuck/Blair, Chuck/Dan, Chuck/Nate.
Summary: Sex. Life. Hate. Love. Bassmobile. --- or --- New York flickers over their flushed cheekbones like a disco ball of failing hopes.
2. Got Something Money Can't Buy, I Got Something That You Oughta Try by seedyapartment
Pairings:Chuck/Dan, Chuck/Nate/Dan, implied Dan/Nate
Summary:Chuck guessed that he could maybe, sort of see the appeal in fucking Dan Humphrey. If he squinted.
3.cowards bend at the knee bygreen-postit
Pairings:chuck bass/dan humphrey, nate archibald/dan humphrey, chuck bass/nate archibald
Summary:avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. the fearful are caught as often as the bold.

4.you seem the type to follow the line by green-postit
Pairings:chuck bass/dan humphrey, nate archibald/dan humphrey, chuck bass/nate archibald
Summary:The sex is awful.
5.Do Right, But Not Right Now by mosca
Pairing:Chuck/Dan
Summary:How to seduce Chuck Bass, raise your GPA, and become a writer in under five days.
6.Game verse by hollywood_r_bin
Pairing: Chuck/Dan
Summary:Set directly after "The Serena Also Rises". Nobody sees Chuck Bass weak and gets away with it. The series is up to 2x10 right now.
You could also check out chuck_dan and the tags for Chuck/Dan at gossipgirlfic

Chris2035

Chris2035

Channel Surfer

Posted Sep 29, 2009 @ 9:12 PM

I don't think this fanfiction has been recommendet yet. Imaginary Friends. A very well written Nate/Serena, Chuck/Blair story. I simply love it, although it's majorly N/S.

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 11, 2009 @ 7:26 AM

I know many people aren't fans of the Nate/Vanessa relationship but this fic manages to give both of them some much needed depth up to their break up in 2x20. The prose is just lovely.
Five moments leading up to the breakup in 2x20. It is absolutely lovely and heartbreaking.
viennawaits:idiot kid, you don't have a clue
His fingers find hers and when he smiles he is very far away.

Tingeling

Tingeling

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2010 @ 6:22 AM

Lots of great recommendations here!

I'm wondering if anyone can recommend any CB fics that aren't too heavy on the drama/angst.

And here's a recommendation of my own... Short but funny. The Waldass Prenuptial Agreement

Chris2035

Chris2035

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 21, 2010 @ 9:20 AM

Can anyone recommend good Serena/Nate fanfiction? I already read (and loved) everything by DaeDreamer. Does anyone know something similar good? Thanks in advance!

merrick715

merrick715

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 26, 2010 @ 9:09 AM

Can anyone recommend good Serena/Nate fanfiction? I already read (and loved) everything by DaeDreamer. Does anyone know something similar good? Thanks in advance!

I would read anything by singsongsung. Good Serena fic is hard to find and she writes some of the best Serena. I would read her Carter/Serena and Dan/Serena stuff as well. It is just that good.

1.Living in Your Afterglow
This an different take on how season three could have gone. It is sweet and filled with Nate and Serena slowly becoming a couple.
2.make up words to songs you used to know
This fic is just so sad because it is one of the ways her life could have gone. Nate/Serena/Tripp. "I hope she’ll be a fool — that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool." - The Great Gatsby
3.A Sweeter Song
Nate gets a good grade in Boyfriend 1001. NS

smc-27 also writes great Nate/Serena
1.We'll Be Alright
They've been through too much, together and apart, for him not to stay with her. There's no doubt anymore that he loves her. Post-3x12 Nate/Serena oneshot.
2.You Fill My Head Up With Daydreams
They're with one another constantly, doing whatever they can together and falling asleep wherever they do. He takes care of her and she takes care of him. But they're not a couple. No one knows why.

My absolute favorite thing I've read this hiatus is postgossipism. A RPG that explores what could've been after 1.13. Characters included in this story are Blair, Carter, Chuck, Dan, Eric, Georgina, Nate, and Serena. This is the best ensemble fic I've ever read for the show. The authors who are playing these characters really seem to get their characters and all the relationships feel real as a result. It really feels like the show. No pairing is neglected and you feel for all the characters even if they're acting like jerks.

Edited by merrick715, Feb 26, 2010 @ 9:10 AM.