Tough Love

• Please log in to reply

3060 replies to this topic

annalisa

annalisa

Couch Potato

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:27 AM

Steve and his Mom were on Elvis Duran's morning radio show today.

Steve was out last night at a concert or some event and he was still completely drunk. Elvis had a hard time getting him to settle down and talk about the show. Rule #47 - Don't give an interview drunk....

Anway, Steve's Mom really likes Delphina. Joanne thinks that she would be a good match for Steve. They asked Steve if he ever slept with any of the contestants and he said "not in a million years".

His Mom gave him a hard time for dating around but having one "special girl" and keeping her waiting. You couldn't get a straight answer from Steve because he was all over the place. He said his mother threw him under the bus when he was on Jimmy Fallon's show.

He also said that one contestant completely lied about her status and we will find out who next Sunday.

Back to the last episode. That ageist guy was a total douche. If one of the contestants acted like that to a guy - by acting, I mean coming off as totally repulsed, he would have been screaming at her and telling her that's why she's alone. But, this guy? He'll just go find himself a younger woman and pat himself on the back for not settling.

I've been hearing I'm too old since I was in my late 30's. By men with no car, no home, no job, owing child support..it blows my mind. Not that I would consider them, but they still take it upon themselves to remind me of how hopeless it is for me. Thanks. People have been kind and say I look much younger than I am so, the guy is surprised and then dismisses me completely.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 9:59 AM

Sounds like Steve should take some of his own advice and apply it to himself. But I'm starting to wonder if he feels this type of advice isn't needed for single men. I mean, it IS a buyer's market for men in most major cities; but it isn't like all women are desperate for a given single man, either. Although, in my experience, and it sounds like in some of yours, annalisa, a lot of them think they can have any woman they want, for the asking. And their own looks, prospects, situation etc., often do not seem to matter. I'd love to see guys like that get yanked by the collar by Steve's mom a few times. I know there was that one reality show where all the guys are douchebags; but I mean, run of the mill slightly delusional single guys, not the real horrific ones.

Those guys you mention might be in for a rude awakening, annalisa. And I'll bet they complain the women they want reject them because they have 'no job, no home and no money.' Guys always fed me that line...about women. But the women who look for a guy with those things is smart, because it usually means he's ready to settle down. The other guys all think they are Megan Fox's wet dream.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

Steve was out last night at a concert or some event and he was still completely drunk. Elvis had a hard time getting him to settle down and talk about the show. Rule #47 - Don't give an interview drunk....

Yeah, that's pretty trashy.

He also said that one contestant completely lied about her status and we will find out who next Sunday.

Very curious about this. Melissa, Stephanie, Donna, and Elizabeth seem pretty genuine. I have no idea what to make of Shalana because she's been pretty quiet. Despina seems like she's putting up a front with her "I don't give a fuck" attitude, but that doesn't necessarily mean she lied about her status (and if Steve's mom likes her, I doubt she's the one who lied).

men with no car, no home, no job, owing child support..it blows my mind.

Sometimes I feel like (and I'm generalizing here, of course) women look in the mirror and see every tiny flaw, most of which no one cares about, and that translates into "I'm so ugly, I don't deserve a good man." And men look in the mirror and see an Adonis, and then when they go out into the world ... they're not. And they don't understand why they, these Adonises, are not getting the Helens of Troy they desire, because they feel entitled to them. I mean, I had a dude who looked like Prop Joe hit on me, and I ... look a lot better than the female equivalent of Prop Joe. And he was angry with me for not being interested - like, how DARE I?

Steve has asked the women, "What are you bringing to the table?" and I feel like there are many, many men out there who have really skewed ideas of what THEY are bringing to the table.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 7:25 PM

Yeah, like in high school - didn't matter how nerdy or outcast or whatever the guy was, he always wanted the alpha female in school, or nothing. I wasn't very interested in dating, but would take note who other people were staring at. I don't know what that is about. Maybe biology. Some guys never grow out of that, I think. There are men in my family like that, too. Or eavesdrop on guys who look like the Comic Book Guy, talking about how this or that Sports Illustrated Model isn't hot enough for them. (Or Megan Fox's thumb being a deal breaker.) Yeah, right. (There are a lot of guys out there with Shallow Hal syndrome.)

I think the woman who isn't really single will be the one who had two kids with the married man. I think she is still stuck on him.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 3, 2012 @ 2:18 AM

Sounds like Steve should take some of his own advice and apply it to himself. But I'm starting to wonder if he feels this type of advice isn't needed for single men. I mean, it IS a buyer's market for men in most major cities; but it isn't like all women are desperate for a given single man, either. Although, in my experience, and it sounds like in some of yours, annalisa, a lot of them think they can have any woman they want, for the asking. And their own looks, prospects, situation etc., often do not seem to matter. I'd love to see guys like that get yanked by the collar by Steve's mom a few times. I know there was that one reality show where all the guys are douchebags; but I mean, run of the mill slightly delusional single guys, not the real horrific ones.

Those guys you mention might be in for a rude awakening, annalisa. And I'll bet they complain the women they want reject them because they have 'no job, no home and no money.' Guys always fed me that line...about women. But the women who look for a guy with those things is smart, because it usually means he's ready to settle down. The other guys all think they are Megan Fox's wet dream.

Hee!

Living in the South, there is starting to be a crop of men who are completely bitter about their situation, being single or divorced, and alone. They talk as though women just don't know what a good man is, as if we're just mis-educated. It's not that we're working, paying bills, supporting ourselves, and have already been down the road with a couple of duds. Nope, we're just "sad" and "lonely". In my case, I work with a lot of these single men and hear them talking about women as if they're messy puppies, or centerfolds on their wall. And they all go home alone.

I watch this show mostly to see how these girls handle Steve's histronics, and to see if they actually get anything out of it. Do I actually believe Steve's hype? Only about as much as I put stock in Patti Stanger's hype, and she and Steve have the same problem!

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:42 PM

Big OMG moments:
Tiffany took tips for dancing in a bar.
Stephanie making out with a random dude after getting drunk.
Stephanie saying, "I'm don't look as fake as I like to look," at the makeover. Really? REALLY?
Melissa crying because the guy didn't give her butterflies.

I'll give Melissa one thing: when Steve asked her if she intended to act like that after every meh date, and she said, "Depends on the time of the month", I was astounded that she actually said that. But, when the girls are in the Tough Love house, they don't decompress after dates the way they would at home. I have come home from a date or two frustrated that a guy I thought was going to be nice to date regularly ended up being an ass, and cried a little. It can feel like love is never going to happen. Also, that "time of the month" issue isn't just some imaginary thing that guys get to make fun of or act like it doesn't exist. Sure, you can control yourself until you get home to a hot shower or a bowl of ice cream, but Melissa didn't get to go home and do that, so Steve needs to pump the brakes a little on accusing Melissa of using it as an excuse. I'm not saying he's completely wrong, but under normal circumstances, most women go home and deal with it away from television cameras.

Finally, I wonder what Tiffany did that required a cliffhanger?

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 6:44 AM

Stephanie saying, "I'm don't look as fake as I like to look," at the makeover. Really? REALLY?

That was the line of the night for me. But it did not top the dramatic!transformation! that was neither a transformation (it was just less lipstick) nor dramatic (see the "it was just less lipstick" comment). I mean, she looked lovely, but she just looked the same only with a better lip color for her skin tone.

Melissa is a whack job but I do support her "time of the month" comment because seriously, if I went on a first date at the wrong time, I'll cry if he's too nice, too mean, not tall enough, wears the wrong shirt...I get really emotional for no reason. So, if I'm in a stressful situtaion, constantly have to be "on" because cameras are constantly on me, and frustrtated with what is going on, I'll lose it and I actually respect that she just put it out there instead of being all "no Steve, whatever you say Steve".

I do wish Steve had given Melissa a make over because seeing her in that clown make up is making me all ragey. I need it to stop.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:22 AM

Finally, I wonder what Tiffany did that required a cliffhanger?

I wonder too. If it turns out that she has a boyfriend or something and gets kicked out, I call bullshit because last season, the Miami season, one of the women had an ex boyfriend that she was having issues with and he eventually came on the show, so if Tiffany gets kicked out because she has a boyfriend, it's probably because he wasn't willing to come on the show.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:16 AM

That was the line of the night for me. But it did not top the dramatic!transformation! that was neither a transformation (it was just less lipstick) nor dramatic (see the "it was just less lipstick" comment). I mean, she looked lovely, but she just looked the same only with a better lip color for her skin tone.

Yeah, there really wasn't much for them to do. Botox, collagen, and a fake tan will wear off but on their own time, and her brow lift is permanent. I'd like to see them take out her extensions too. Her makeup did look better though, and I think they got rid of her 2" fake lashes. (I always thought people who look like her - fake tan, fake lips, fake lashes, etc. - don't KNOW they look fake, not that looking fake was the goal.) She's not the only one who needs a makeunder either; as I've said, most of them slather on makeup by the case, and the burgundy wig/weave is not the business.

If it turns out that she has a boyfriend or something and gets kicked out, I call bullshit because last season, the Miami season, one of the women had an ex boyfriend that she was having issues with and he eventually came on the show, so if Tiffany gets kicked out because she has a boyfriend, it's probably because he wasn't willing to come on the show.

That guy was really her ex, though; they were having ex sex but not dating, and when he came on the show they reconciled. If Tiffany has a boyfriend that she's still dating, she really shouldn't be there. And I'm wondering if it's the father of her youngest two kids, who's married. Or if it's something REALLY dramatic like SHE'S married.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:32 AM

Well if she's married then she shouldn't be on the show.

That guy was really her ex, though; they were having ex sex but not dating, and when he came on the show they reconciled. If Tiffany has a boyfriend that she's still dating, she really shouldn't be there. And I'm wondering if it's the father of her youngest two kids, who's married. Or if it's something REALLY dramatic like SHE'S married.

If a woman is having sex with her ex, she's really not single, because she is in an intimate relationship with someone else; that's like saying it's not cheating if we're not married.

cosmom

cosmom

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:22 AM

Not really sure why Melissa was getting shit from Steve. From the feedback her date gave it sounded like she was fine on the date. If she waited until later to express some of her frustrations, that is different than being pissy and mopey on her date.

Stephanie's look post make over wasn't all that different - that hideous pink lipstick was gone and replaced with that hideous red at panel and in her talking head. Her voiced seemed different this ep, especially at panel. More definitive and articulate as opposed to be a bit hesitant and higher pitched. I'll have to go back and watch an earlier ep to compare.

I was waiting for the reveal that Brandon was John's friend that he talked about being at the same bar.

A cotillion - really? Since cotillions are defined as dances, not sure how you could have a cotillion dinner without dancing.

And classy set up to put the girls in all white ball gowns and then serve them a whole crab. You might as well have given them another southern classic - fried chicken and corn on the cob.

Elizabeth was a bit much this ep - talking about keeping it classy in the bar, but then doing the grind on some guy while dancing. But that's ok cause he's not getting any - wtf?

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:56 PM

TiVo cut off the ending. Could anyone tell me what happened at the end? The last I saw, someone was refusing to get into the hot seat. Thanks.

They talk as though women just don't know what a good man is, as if we're just mis-educated.

Yes, it's all women's fault, as if the female gender is some sort of borg calculating to keep those guys single. It couldn't be their immaturity or unrealistic standards or misogyny. Actually a lot of your description of those guys sounds like how I see Steve. A lot of men raised by single or strong moms seem to turn out that way, too. I don't know why. Joanne might be worse though because at least Steve is obvious. Joanne seems warm, but she's highly manipulative.

I wish Melissa (who is mostly an annoying pain) would just say what she does want. I think what she really wanted was just to be on television and try to start a comedy career. I don't think she is very serious about dating. I think she cried because she felt left out of the giddy girly moment where they all liked their dates. That was one time I was glad Steve called someone out on their BS.

The dancing for dollars - ugh. The makeover - right. There is only so much that can be done when she's had all that nip and tuck. She looked just the same to me after, as before.

I sense abuse in her background, which I think is why she needs that 'mask' and why she was a pushover with that alpha male. Her problems run deeper than a reality show can address.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 12, 2012 @ 2:47 PM

Yes, it's all women's fault, as if the female gender is some sort of borg calculating to keep those guys single. It couldn't be their immaturity or unrealistic standards or misogyny. Actually a lot of your description of those guys sounds like how I see Steve. A lot of men raised by single or strong moms seem to turn out that way, too. I don't know why. Joanne might be worse though because at least Steve is obvious. Joanne seems warm, but she's highly manipulative.

Maybe they have seen their moms struggle and deal with financial and emotional stress? Or maybe mom didn't, and they wonder, "Well, damn, is every woman as self-sufficient as my mom? Am I even necessary? Will I ever meet someone who needs me?" Either way, they need to just work on themselves.

I am way more concerned about what Tiffany did than I should be.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 6:23 PM

Re: tonight's episode: I saw a commercial and Steve yells "Your HUSBAND doesn't know you're on a dating show!" and the one with the burgundy wig/weave says "How are you gonna be at a dating boot camp and you're married?" so it seems as though Tiffany is indeed married. Called it!

Edited to remove spoiler tags. Tiffany totally needed to be kicked out, but I have some questions. What kind of marriage do she and her husband have that she could up and leave for weeks/months and he doesn't question it, with a toddler at home? Where did she tell him she was going? How was she going to explain herself when she was on TV going on dates? Just ... what? Danielle's (I can never remember her name) reaction had me cracking up "I was like who ... why ... I was just lost for words." Actually, Danielle was cracking me up in general in her interviews.

Donna's date's dye job was crappy. Steve should set Donna up with 40+ men, I think - maybe men who have been married before and have kids already.

I'm about sick of hearing about Elizabeth's ring, and her histrionics.

Edited by Empress1, May 13, 2012 @ 9:08 PM.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

I often agree with some of Steve's points and opinions. But other times, I see how he lives in a world of double standards. Him being so incredulous at the idea of women having (and, gasp, enjoying sex without intimacy/emotions is silly. I'm sure he's not incredulous when men express the same. There are lots of women out there than can screw like men, Steve. Also, him saying that Elizabeth has never experienced pleasure because she's never had an orgasm was spoken like a man. Orgasm =/= pleasure, Steve. People can have a pleasurable sexual experience without the big O to top it off. That said, perhaps Elizabeth should learn her body so that she can have orgasms.

Steve should set Donna up with 40+ men, I think - maybe men who have been married before and have kids already.

I like that in theory, though she would run the risk of those guys being happy with the kids they have and they may not want to have another baby with her.

Edited by IvyDarling, May 13, 2012 @ 9:04 PM.

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 9:17 PM

I like that in theory, though she would run the risk of those guys being happy with the kids they have and they may not want to have another baby with her.

That's true. These younger guys who are in the just-playing-the-field mindset are completely wrong for her, though.

That said, perhaps Elizabeth should learn her body so that she can have orgasms.

I was with Donna when she said she was sad that Elizabeth had never pleasured herself. I mean, if she really doesn't want to masturbate, she doesn't, and she doesn't have to ... but it's fun! I had a roommate in college who never had either and I had the same "Really?!" reaction.

Is Despina from Baaaaah-ston? She has an accent.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 13, 2012 @ 11:39 PM

So, Tiffany was married, and was willing to stay silent until the bitter end. I found it odd that she wasn't willing to open her mouth, make an excuse, explain anything. Steve's got her wedding photos, her husband's Facebook, and she literally walked out of her home to go to Tough Love. Her whole thing was "I don't feel like telling everyone everything." Okay, bye.

Danielle: Uncle Ben? Really? But yeah, that guy was too conservative for her.

Melissa: Once again, I have to disagree with Steve. Tarting her up in pleather and telling her that she should camoflauge her virginity was just wrong. The bullshit thing of "Oh, I think doggy, but no maybe missionary, but wait cowgirl" sounds like she has practical experience. That's a dangerous thing to be deceptive about.

Despina: I disagree here, to a point. Okay, why is this guy, who she's just recently met, digging into her passions? Showing interest in someone is not the same as "Oh, so you're a cocktail waitress and bartender, but what's your passion?" What did he expect her to say? I never understand the need to downplay someone's job like that. Some folks like where they work; I wonder if Steve would have understood if she'd simply said, "I enjoy the place I work. I meet interesting people, and you're welcome to stop by."

I also disagree with "Oh, so you just have sex without feelings?" Not everyone you have sex with is going to be The ONE. Even if it is, you're not going to go into it with all hearts & flowers. Sometimes it is for fun and for release. Get off your high horse, Steve.

Stephanie was cool this week.

Poor Donna. That shit had to sting. She looked like she had a blast, and she was totally cool the whole time, so I appreciate Steve said it wasn't her fault. But that guy was a fucking dick. "With women of that age"? That dude needs to sit the hell down.

Elizabeth and that damned ring. Oy. I thought Steve was out of line until I saw her reaction. Maybe, one day, she'll have it melted down into a pair of earrings, or use it for the down payment on a house. No orgasms doesn't mean no fun, but hearing her call it nasty and dirty (in a bad way) was so sad. She's in the wrong place; she needs some couch time, not the Hot Seat.

Next week: dumping shit on you in a restaurant? No ma'am!

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:30 AM

Poor Donna. That shit had to sting. She looked like she had a blast, and she was totally cool the whole time, so I appreciate Steve said it wasn't her fault. But that guy was a fucking dick. "With women of that age"? That dude needs to sit the hell down.

I might feel sorry for her if she wasn't so damned shallow. The nice guy she went out with wasn't hot enough for her so her vagina wasn't happy. This guy is hot so she suddenly wants to have his babies. I don't blame him for putting the breaks on that shit. She seems to just want a hot guy to make pretty kids with.

The funny thing is, I should be pissed at him because I'm 40, single and the last thing in the world I want is kids, so his whole "with women that age" should piss me off, but then I look at the "woman that age" that he was with and I can totally see where he's coming from. She's like a walking, talking ovary.

I'm more of a Despina I guess. I can have sex with men I don't plan on falling in love with if they're hot and I'm honry, why not? I hate Steve for thinking that woman can only have sex with emotional attachement.

The Melissa thing was just painful. I felt so bad for her. All the other women got to decide what was sexy or whatever while she was stuck in Steve's outdated, bondage concept of sexy. And not one of them was dressed half as provocatively as she was. Most of them looked like they were in your basic reality show cocktail wear really. Despina had a black skirt and tee basically, Elizabeth was in a blue silk dress/slip and Melissa was in cheap, Fredericks of Hollywood bondage wear. Not cool at all.

And Elizabeth's hot seat did nothing to sway my believe that she and Steve are either fucking already or about to at any moment.

Bye Tiffany, if that is even your real name, it wasn't nice knowing you, idiot.

colt13

colt13

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 6:42 AM

A really good episode.

I agree with the rest that Elizabeth and Steve have really good chemistry together.

Melissa has a really good body, but didn't have enough confidence to pull off that outfit and still came off as awkward.

I have a soft spot for Donna. Definately a type a personality, I find it interesting that not only does she get along with the women, she is always in motion, ie the dancing at the club first, the little shimmy in the yellow top, etc.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:28 AM

Edited to remove spoiler tags. Tiffany totally needed to be kicked out, but I have some questions. What kind of marriage do she and her husband have that she could up and leave for weeks/months and he doesn't question it, with a toddler at home? Where did she tell him she was going? How was she going to explain herself when she was on TV going on dates? Just ... what? Danielle's (I can never remember her name) reaction had me cracking up "I was like who ... why ... I was just lost for words." Actually, Danielle was cracking me up in general in her interviews.

I call bullshit on them not knowing Tiffany was married. It reminds me of a couple on the reality show "Temptation Island" where they found out one of the couples had a child, but she'd sued him for child support and that judgement was public knowledge. They knew damn well Tiffany was married but just kept her on for the drama.

And Steve is such a lug, he's like, "How can a woman have sex without feelings?" Easy. Sometimes sex is just sex, it doesn't have to lead to anything.

Edited by EndoKE, May 14, 2012 @ 8:30 AM.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

And Elizabeth's hot seat did nothing to sway my believe that she and Steve are either fucking already or about to at any moment.

I do wonder, because her emotions are too easily brought to the surface by him. She weeps at the drop of a hat when Steve's around. I've only done that around someone I'm in love with.

And Steve is such a lug, he's like, "How can a woman have sex without feelings?" Easy. Sometimes sex is just sex, it doesn't have to lead to anything.

Wouldn't it be funny if he's already getting a shit-ton of emails (Tweets, FB messages) from women telling him "Yeah, we can do that." I wonder if his poor wittle head would explode from the thought that he might have just been some chick's release, and that maybe he wasn't entirely necessary.

Stalkmylife82

Stalkmylife82

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:56 PM

The sex without feelings may be a little dated by Steve but I think in regards to Despina(sp?) he was trying to make it clear that it doesn't have to be that way and she doesn't have to run away from having feelings for someone else. Sex with feelings involved doesn't have to bad or avoided either.

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

Yeah, definitely an egotistical creep, is what I see in Steve.

He's way off about The Virgin (I can't remember their names.) A lot of guys would walk a mile in a desert for a find like a virgin at her age, guys who prize that above all else. I'm not sure those guys are entirely always all there, but they are out there. Pretending to be a garden variety tramp isn't going to get her anywhere with anyone - it will attract absolutely the wrong men for her. And why not keep what makes you unique? Although I still think she isn't serious, she's only on the show to try to get a standup comedy career going, I think.

Miss Liar - I wanted to hear why she thought she wasn't "really" married. Was she separated? Even so that is not single enough for a dating show. Overall she just sounded drunken and/or delusional most of her stay. I feel bad for her kids, they will probably turn out just like her.

So she said the oldest and youngest were by her married-man ex, right? But if she's been married a few years how was the youngest not her husband's? Well if he didn't know she strayed, he does now - unless her married-man ex became her husband. It's so convoluted. A lot of facts seem 'missing.' I'm sure Show knew it all though. They dig into everybody's life before they hire them.

AtlanticVamp

AtlanticVamp

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

He's way off about The Virgin (I can't remember their names.) A lot of guys would walk a mile in a desert for a find like a virgin at her age, guys who prize that above all else. I'm not sure those guys are entirely always all there, but they are out there. Pretending to be a garden variety tramp isn't going to get her anywhere with anyone - it will attract absolutely the wrong men for her. And why not keep what makes you unique?

ITA. I am still puzzled how that whips-n-chains outfit was supposed to make it easier for her to relate to men and not be awkward. Sure she jumped into it with both feet, but there's no guarantee it would work. How did he know she wasn't just going to stand in a corner and make weird comments all night?

ScrubMonkey

ScrubMonkey

Fanatic

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:02 PM

Or attract a sadistic guy who would be into a one night stand with her for the novelty value?

Empress1

Empress1

Stalker

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Miss Liar - I wanted to hear why she thought she wasn't "really" married. Was she separated?

If she was, it was news to everyone in her life and it had happened at the most a month before she got there. The Facebook photo Steve showed was from a month before and the guy referred to her as his wife. Maybe she meant "separated in my heart," which totally does not count.

So she said the oldest and youngest were by her married-man ex, right?

I thought she said her youngest two? I think she was a teen when she had her oldest – I believe she said s/he was 13. There are so many unanswered questions about this scenario.

I think way too much is being made of Melissa’s virginity, by her and by Steve. It falls under the category of “unusual but not that big a deal,” IMO. For whatever reason, she’s never had a boyfriend before and she wants to be in a relationship when she has sex. That’s all the explanation needed, IMO, and she could present it in a very matter-of-fact way. I suppose you could then get into why she hasn’t had a boyfriend – but at least two of the others (Shalana and Despina) fit into that category too.

colt13

colt13

Video Archivist

Posted May 14, 2012 @ 8:44 PM

Next week: dumping shit on you in a restaurant? No ma'am!

I actually think they did this backwards. Should have dumped on the men to see who would be rude to the waiter, or see which woman comes off as too self absorbed to show compassion.

Houddy

Houddy

Stalker

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 6:25 AM

I think way too much is being made of Melissa’s virginity, by her and by Steve. It falls under the category of “unusual but not that big a deal,” IMO.

Seriously. And I don't like how they are making it seem like something freakish. This ep she said she's waiting for the right guy and a committed relationship which is well within her right. Her issue, IMO, isn't the virginity but the lack of social skills. Blurting out "I'm a virgin" is not the best way to get to know a guy. Talking about it, mentioning it, these are appropriate because it's a part of who she is and something a guy might like to know before hand, like having kids or say already being married, but it's the way she says it that probably puts guys off.

I'm more bothered by Elizabeth's sexuality because she comes across as the type that sex is something she will put up with if the guy gives her enough gifts and "earns" it. She's basically selling herself for baubles and not really enjoying it. That's just sad.

I have no idea what to think of the Mrs. She is either a pathological liar who can't help herself or she came on the show because she lost a bet and was doing everything she could to get out.

Edited by Houddy, May 15, 2012 @ 6:36 AM.

EndoKE

EndoKE

Fanatic

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 7:51 AM

The Mrs who was a liar was, I'm sure, nothing more than a fame-whore who just wanted her 15 minutes, and she did get her face on TV, so maybe that was all she wanted. To some people being on TV is everything, no matter what you're on TV for.

stretchess

stretchess

Couch Potato

Posted May 15, 2012 @ 9:17 AM

Melissa: Once again, I have to disagree with Steve. Tarting her up in pleather and telling her that she should camoflauge her virginity was just wrong. The bullshit thing of "Oh, I think doggy, but no maybe missionary, but wait cowgirl" sounds like she has practical experience. That's a dangerous thing to be deceptive about.

I believe here Steve told her she could say "I think ABOUT doggy" etc... so she's acknowledging that when she's alone she thinks about these things. Given that she masturbates, I think we can assume she's having sexual fantasies even though she's never had sex. These fantasies could involve thinking about different positions. I hated how false her voice sounded while she was talking to this guy... it was like she was acting, rather than just being herself.

I'm more bothered by Elizabeth's sexuality because she comes across as the type that sex is something she will put up with if the guy gives her enough gifts and "earns" it. She's basically selling herself for baubles and not really enjoying it. That's just sad.

Very well put, and I wholeheartedly agree, especially as she's been with mostly older men. Some older men are incredibly attractive, but if she's 32 and dating exclusively men 50-something plus, there may have been some OLDER looking men in there. She may have been having sex with men she was not particularly attractive because of the gifts. The lack of masturbation and thinking it's gross thing also made me sad. I loved when Donna said that some of her best sexual experiences have been alone!