Mistresses

• Please log in to reply

536 replies to this topic

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2009 @ 8:34 PM

I searched high and low for this show thread. I couldn't find i tso...here goes.

This show just started on BBC America. I really like it. I think the relationships these women have with each other seems genuine. I appreciate that it is obviously related to the Sex and the City genre, but isn't a total knockoff.

Sarah Parish as Katie is wonderful. She is a truly fantastic actress. The character is kind of inappropriate, though. It is a complete violation of trust for a doctor to fall in love with a terminally ill patient and then act on it. The fact that Katie was having an affair with a dying patient shows an appalling lack of judgment.

I hate the actor playing Siobanne's husband. I don't know why, I just do. I'm not going to lie. If I had a hot co-worker like Dominic sitting right across from me, I might find being faithful to be a burden. Luckily for me, there are no hot Dominick's in my office.

Paxilkitty

Paxilkitty

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 23, 2009 @ 8:51 PM

Thank you! I looked all over for a thread too.

Based on the first episode, I am looking forward to seeing the entire series. It really pulled me in from the start.

maraleia

maraleia

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2009 @ 9:10 PM

I agree with you both and it has so much more depth than American shows. I need to watch the episode again to catch everything but all of the actresses are really good.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2009 @ 9:48 PM

I've seen series 1 and am enjoying series 2 which just started on the BBC, and I agree that the relationships among the women are what make the show. It helps that I was already a fan of Sarah Parish and Sharon Small. It might surprise some to know that Orla Brady who plays Siobhan was 47 years old when they shot the first series. She sure doesn't look it!

It's too bad that BBC America is cutting about 10 - 15 minutes from each episode as they were almost an hour long when they aired on BBC.

Sportula

Sportula

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2009 @ 10:56 PM

I enjoy this show as well. And I'm also on season 2. I have to admit I started watching just because of the guy who played Zaf on MI-5. The show is sooo dramatic, but definitely a guilty pleasure. For anyone who watches Fringe this is the most high profile thing Anna Torv did before that.

nws2002

nws2002

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2009 @ 2:15 AM

I TiVo'd the first episode because I thought it looked like a better version of Desperate Housewives. Well its SO much better, and now its a season pass. Of course now I'm going to have to buy this on DVD now too so I can see the extra 10 minutes that BBCA always cuts out.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2009 @ 2:58 AM

The show is sooo dramatic, but definitely a guilty pleasure.

It certainly is that. I liked Raza Jaffrey when he was on Spooks/MI-5, but I'm not such a big fan of his baby-obsessed Hari. And the whole arrangement he has with Siobhan in S2 is just plain weird. He said he forgave her and was willing to work things out, but separate bedrooms after all these months, and treating her like a platonic room mate makes it look like he's still punishing her. I'm not saying he should forgive her, but if he obviously can't, then they should both move on and go their separate ways. That way, she doesn't have to get her kicks having anonymous sex with strangers in hotels! Although, considering that she couldn't even forgo one night of that when Jessica was sleeping over, maybe she's a sex addict.

Offhand, I can think of one cut scene near the beginning, where Katie meets the other women for dinner, while her dying married lover waits in his car. Then, he rings her so she can make an excuse that it's a work-related emergency and leave. And he says something about how he doesn't want to share her given that he hasn't got much time left. I think there was maybe another scene of Jessica showing Alex another wedding location that she hated. I found Alex to be such the grumpy pill in that first ep.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2009 @ 9:58 AM

I heard there's an American version of the series in the works with Holly Marie Combs taking on the Trudi role.

It's a fun series. Jess' plot in the first season is probably the best one.

I like Katie but she really should learn about boundaries. Sleeping with patients, monstrously bad idea.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2009 @ 10:05 AM

I was shocked when I saw Anna Torv from Fringe on this show. She is actually a very pretty woman. They make her look too dowdy on Fringe. Just because she is an FBI agent, doesn't mean she shouldn't brush her hair!

I have also seen all of series one and I'm watching series 2.

I don't understand the Hari situation. Sioban should leave him. She is not happy. He isn't happy. I don't understand why they are fooling themselves. If they stopped this ridiculous arrangement now, they may come out as friend's. But the end of the episode shows that things are probably going to get crazy. There is no way she is going to be able to hold the marriage together when she is being stalked by a psycho. I just hope the storyline doesn't get too melodramatic. I don't want stalker guy stabbing Hari or Dominick. He also better leave the baby alone.

I also don't think that Dominick was as cool with the whole "don't tell anyone at work we have a baby" secret that Sioban wants him to keep. He seemed to pause a little too long when she first told him to keep it quiet before responding with humor. I thought it was interesting in the first season that he started off seeming kind of sleazy, but it turned out that he had real feelings for her. At least that is what it seemed like to me. It will be interesting to see if this comes up again.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2009 @ 12:07 PM

I hadn't heard about the American remake, but it was going to be on Lifetime, with Holly Marie Combs playing a character who "gave up a career to be a stay-at-home mom." However, looks like Lifetime decided not to pick up the show, which is probably a good thing. I can't quite see Holly Marie Combs as Trudi!

I agree that Dominic turned out to be less sleazy that I expected from the first episode, and I felt sorry for him when Siobhan handled the whole affair-breakup-pregnancy situation so badly, by even trying to get him transferred. I was really surprised that Hari could even bring himself to be so civil to Dominic in the first S2 episode, and I'm starting to think, that's a sign that he no longer feels the same way about Siobhan. Is he staying only because of the baby? I mean, it isn't even his!

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2009 @ 8:44 AM

Episode 2 of the new series was certainly interesting. Jess can't handle an adulterous husband (even if he does adore her), so she tried her case with Simon (who knocked her back) and Dominic (who didn't). Is it wrong that I sort of like Mark?

Katie and Dan in a relationship is fine but Jack coming onto could be seen from a mile off.

Siobhan and the creepy client won't end well.

Trudi and Richard are by far the blandest pairing on this show. Maybe she should cop off with baker guy.

Re: US version, why would HMC take this to Lifetime? HBo/Showtime definitely but not that channel.

VaVoom

VaVoom

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 25, 2009 @ 10:30 AM

Trudi and Richard are by far the blandest pairing on this show. Maybe she should cop off with baker guy.

I know, I am so bored by them. I'm starting to think that in future I may just record the show and fast forward through their bits. Too harsh?

I liked the show last night (on UK tv) and am interested to see where Siobban and the creepy sex guy will end up. Not in a good place methinks.

Feel a bit sorry for Jess as she seems increasingly lonely and seems to be looking for companionship rather than sex, (going off with Dominic and trying it on with Simon,) but she walked into that marriage with her eyes wide open so knew exactly what her husband was like.

And is it wrong that I only want Dominic to hang around just so I can stare at him. His character doesn't interest me that much, I just think he is extremely good looking.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2009 @ 1:12 PM

I couldn't agree more. The only good thing is that Trudi seems to be as bored with the relationship as we are. Richard is a nice guy. And in the real world, you want a Richard. But he is just the Prime Minister of Dullsville on this show. If I were Sharon Small, I would be a little offended that everyone got a hot young thing but me. I mean, Orla Brady's character is getting guys 10 years younger.

And is it wrong that I only want Dominic to hang around just so I can stare at him. His character doesn't interest me that much, I just think he is extremely good looking.

No, it is not wrong. I actually find Dominic to be an interesting character, to some degree. But really, I just want to stare at his pretty.

This is kind of a dumb question for anyone here from the UK, but why don't Dominic and Siobhan have their own offices? I thought all private firm lawyers got their own offices. What kind of law firm is this? Also, I can't believe that no one else was working late the night that Dominic and Siobhan hooked up. They can't be the only people that work late hours at this firm.

And are they solicitors or barristers? I figure they must see solicitors because I never saw a wig in sight, but as an American, I can't be too sure.

firestarter

firestarter

Stalker

Posted Feb 25, 2009 @ 3:40 PM

I wait until it's on Comcast On Demand, and then they cut less out. The premiere was 59 minutes long on On Demand, so I don't think they cut much at all. Also? No fast-forwarding through commercials.

I enjoyed this. The actors were all good, though I had some trouble telling Siobhan and the doctor apart at first. And boy, the doctor is screwed. She not only slept with a dying patient, she helped him die, and the wife knows that. And the son if very determined to find that out. But I suspect this show isn't about trials for medical malfeasance, so...

Good to see Barbara Havers, Sharon Small, again.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Feb 25, 2009 @ 5:05 PM

why don't Dominic and Siobhan have their own offices? I thought all private firm lawyers got their own offices.

I believe that as a partner in S2, Siobhan does have her own office. Didn't the senior partner burst into her office all mad when she gave creepy stalker's case to Dominic? And yeah, I can't believe she went to see the creepy stalker in the hotel room. Has she learned nothing?? How can she not feel the slimey creepiness oozing out of him?

I see that it didn't take long for Jess to revert back to her old ways. Dominic is the best male eye candy on the show. None of the new guys really appeal to me, and I especially don't know what Jess sees in scrawny Mark. And what's with that bitchy PA he has?

I assume the lies, money transfers to mystery women, and setting up the baker to be a potential love interest, is the show's way of spicing up the Trudi and Richard pairing. I didn't mind him last season, but do find him quite annoying now. Maybe his ex-wife left him for a good reason.

If Katie gives in to Jack's advances and screws up her new good thing with Dan, and her brand new start at the hospital, she's going to win the Worst Judgment Award for the second year running.

veryborednow

veryborednow

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 25, 2009 @ 5:35 PM

Was the fact Siobhan and, uh, her husband who's name I've forgotten still couldn't shag after therapy a sign that they're marriage is over? Please. The only reason I can think of for keeping him around is to limit the impact of the baby on the plot lines.

Her new stalker is ugly.

I presumed baker man is being groomed as the new boyfriend too. Though I'm not sure about the suitability a man who didn't feel the need to sell cakes or biscuits until a random, flighty woman forced some upon him. At lease he's encouraging and not wet and whiney.

I don't want Kate and Jack together, it would be a really shitty thing to do. Which I understand is the point of the show to some extent, but still.

I was really pleased to see Natasha Little in something again, she was amazing in Vanity Fair (the BBC version) and assumed she would go on for bigger and better things but I've only seen her in Spooks since then.

Amelie06

Amelie06

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2009 @ 4:18 PM

I finally saw the second episode.

WTF is Siobhan thinking. Her secret lover is ugly. He is also a total creep. At some point he is probably going to set her house on fire. She really does have a problem with impulse control. It was nice to see the good relationship she has managed to maintain with Dominic despite the awkward situation. I'll give the writers credit, they have written a very interesting character. I do think that if anyone will be getting the Poor Judgment of the Year Award, it should be Siobhan.

I am starting to find Richard and Trudi slightly more interesting. He is acting like a total fool. You know whatever it is won't be that bad. The issue is going to be his attempt at subterfuge. Trudi should start looking at the cute, but dim bakery owner.

Katie should really step away from the nostalgic married man. She's read this book before! She absolutely hated the ending. This could really be her ass this time. I don't like the other guy that is up in her mix, but he's not married. He's smug, but not married.

Jessica is kind of sad. Only an idiot would believe that they would be cool with their husband having sex with other women at will. I know some people have open relationships, but doesn't that normally occur a little later in a relationship? I mean these couples don't start off sleeping with whomever, right? Dominic is as cute as he is stupid. He learned nothing from the last time he slept with a married woman and got his feelings hurt. Jess actually looked guilty after her liaison with Dom. I'm sure that husband of hers will make the guilt disappear soon. He is scrawny and not worth the trouble.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2009 @ 11:30 PM

Series 2, episode 3:

Now that half of series 2 has aired, I find that I'm not enjoying it as much as series 1. In series 1, even though the women made bad decisions a lot of the times, I didn't lose my empathy for the characters. But in series 2, it just feels like they have learned nothing from their mistakes, especially Katie and Siobhan.

It was totally predictable that Katie would have an affair with Jack, but it was still disappointing to see her start down the path of self-destruction again. She almost lost her license to practice medicine after the affair with the former patient (and his son), and was lucky to get off with a suspension. Yet here she is, coming in late to work, not drawing the line much more forcefully and clearly with Jack who is her boss, and cheating on Dan. It was good that she reminded Jack that he had a wife and a family, but then she had to go and send mixed signals with the "I don't want you to deny your feelings for me." Sigh. This will so not end well, especially with both Jack's wife and Dan working at the same hospital.

Despite all that, I will agree that Siobhan is still in the lead when it comes to bad judgment this season. What a total non-shocker that the creepy client-stalker is even creepier than we thought? If she wants sex on the side, surely she can find someone who isn't a control freak psycho. And the thing is, I can't even feel sorry for Hari because he is so cold and remote, and I just don't get why they are both still in the marriage. He needs to either get over the affair, or move on. She needs sex addiction rehab. I think even if things were back to normal with Hari, she'd still be sneaking off. But I have no idea why she wants to be Hari so much that she is willing to have a sexless marriage with him. And now, she's put Hari and the baby in potential danger with the stalker.

Richard and Trudi - I was not expecting the Alzheimer's wife reveal, but it makes his house of lies all the more idiotic. Why not just tell Trudi the truth instead of all the lies that only make her suspect worse things and lose her trust in him? Surely even a private care facility can't cost 3000 pounds a month, so was his debt story another lie? Trudi needs to kick Richard to the curb and stop listening to her friends' bad advice when it comes to him. Also, what exactly is it does he does for a living that allows him to afford to pay 3000 pounds, and his mortgage and bills every month?!

Jess's open marriage is predictably, a mess. She should have insisted that he fire that insufferably smug personal assistant before she agreed to marry him. I find her character and story the least compelling actually.

Finally, there was a criminal lack of Dominic in this ep.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Mar 7, 2009 @ 10:04 AM

Disappointing episode I have to agree.

Katie/Jack/Dan - Just wrong on every level.

Siobhan/Hari/McCormack - Divorce already and slap a restraining order on that stalker already.

Jess/Carrie/Mark - Also dull but Jess did know what she was getting into.

Trudi/Richard - All that for the reveal of his wife having Alzheimers. Could've been better handled.

veryborednow

veryborednow

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 9, 2009 @ 1:53 PM

Loved your post ovrdedge, I agree entirely. I can't work out how to quote within spoiler tags so in response to your part about Siobhan:

On the BBC website (I'm so embarrassed even to be there) Orla Brady explains her character's behaviour by saying that she gets everything from her marriage except the physical side and that's why she's going out to get sex. How on earth the viewer is supposed to deduce that from what's going on on screen I do not know. It looks to me like she's getting absolutely nothing from her marriage except free baby sitting. The writers have made Hari so distant and harsh that it's difficult to understand why she's sticking around.

I'm annoyed by this season. Trudi should just get on with it and shag the deli man.

Edited by veryborednow, Mar 9, 2009 @ 1:56 PM.

mezz98

mezz98

Posted Mar 12, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

I just finished watching series 1 and I really enjoyed it. I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the eye candy that is Dominic; and I'm really glad he's still around for series 2.

minnie mouse

minnie mouse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 15, 2009 @ 3:09 PM

i'm still watching series 1. series twofers, why did siobhan start another affair. why won't she just hook up w/dominic? it's obvious he had feelings for her.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 2:34 AM

minnie mouse, I'm not convinced that Dominic still has feelings for Siobhan, at least not in the romantic way. I think he cares for her to some extent, as she is the mother of his child. But he isn't waiting for her to leave Hari for him. Judging from his reaction to the photos of Siobhan with the stalker-client, he seemed more disgusted with her choice than hurt. Good thing too, as I think he deserves way better than a messed-up wreck like Siobhan.

As for why she started an affair, she was actually having anonymous sex with strangers before she met the stalker. And for unfathomable reasons, she decided she wanted an arrangement for just sex with him. Even if she had residual feelings for Dominic, she wouldn't have restarted anything with him because of Hari knowing about their affair, and Hari and Dominic managing to have a pretty civil relationship post-affair. I think to her warped way of thinking, the anonymous one-off encounters don't mean anything, whereas an affair with Dominic would.

Series 2, ep 4:
Not to defend Katie in any way, but it's really not surprising that Jack would turn out to be a lying scumbag, planning another child with his wife while having his affair with Katie. I really feel the most sorry for poor Dan since Katie only went back to him because she found out that Jack was lying to her. Does she even have genuine feelings for Dan, and does she even care that she's being horribly unfair to him? You know that at some point, Dan and Jack's wife are going to find out about the affair, and I am already cringing in advance.

Siobhan and Hari: he's the wronged party, but I can't feel that sorry for him just because he's treated her so coldly until this ep. As for Siobhan....she really only has herself to blame, so don't feel sorry for her either.

I do feel a tad sorry for Jess because I don't think Mark is capable of settling for a conventional marriage. She should at least, get him to agree to fire that smug PA though.

Monica412

Monica412

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 10:01 AM

I am totally hooked on this show I wish I could get the real BBC instead of BBC America. For those that have seen all of season one is it true that there are only six episodes?

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 10:25 AM

Yes, both series 1 and 2 have only 6 episodes, pretty typical for a BBC show.

PetuniaP

PetuniaP

Fanatic

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 12:55 PM

Only 6 episodes? Oh that's terrible! I love this show and was looking forward to more. BBCAmerica ran a marathon this weekend with the cut scenes added back in. As a rule, I found the scenes that were cut didn't add that much more to the story so I don't feel too badly about them being cut. Since they've already run 4 episodes, that means only 2 left before end the of series. I wonder if they will run series 2 right away in the States.

I have to say, I truly hope that Trudi does not end up having to pay her dead husband's ex-mistress any money. I understand where the mistress is coming from, but getting nothing is the risk you take when you choose to take up with a married man. And I find Jessica's lesbian storyline totally boring. I hope she moves on from this "phase".

Count me in the club that loves to look at Dominic. He's unbelievably handsome and I hope he stays on the show. I'm dying to see how his relationship with Siobhan plays out. I'm shocked to learn she was 47! I would have pegged for at least 10-15 years younger.

I'm very glad that BBCAmerica is starting to add more interesting shows to their lineup. I used to watch that channel incessantly for a while and then it got terrible. But Mistresses is a step in the right direction.

Edited by PetuniaP, Mar 16, 2009 @ 12:56 PM.

mezz98

mezz98

Posted Mar 16, 2009 @ 2:06 PM

Count me in the club that loves to look at Dominic. He's unbelievably handsome and I hope he stays on the show. I'm dying to see how his relationship with Siobhan plays out. I'm shocked to learn she was 47! I would have pegged for at least 10-15 years younger.

I'll take it one step further and say I found Dominic and Siobhan to be unbelievably hot together. I was kinda sad when they ended.

ETA: Just started watching series 2 and I'm full of questions.

1. Not that I miss them, but what happened to Sam and Alex?

2. Where did Jess find this Mark guy she married? He's incredibly sleazy and not at all attractive (well, at least to me).

Edited by mezz98, Mar 17, 2009 @ 9:54 AM.

minnie mouse

minnie mouse

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 17, 2009 @ 10:03 PM

ovrdedge, that is a bummer. the siobhan/dominic affair is my favorite part of the show.

i wish bbc america would play the entire episode. some of the deleted scenes clarified the rest of the episode.

catray

catray

Fanatic

Posted Mar 17, 2009 @ 10:04 PM

I've watched the first four episodes of this series, and have fallen in love! It's great! It looks like we'll be seeing the 2nd season right after the 1st, which is also exciting. But I'm loving this show and I'm glad BBC America decided to air it.

ovrdedge

ovrdedge

Fanatic

Posted Mar 18, 2009 @ 12:15 AM

mezz98:
Series 2 takes place a year after series 1 ended, so Sam and Alex are obviously no longer in the picture. Hopefully, Sam has moved on to someone more age appropriate who hasn't slept with his father. They did not explain what happened to those characters, or where the new ones like Mark came from. We only know that he's a male version of Jessica, and he's a bazillionaire. I don't care for him but compared to Siobhan's truly sleazy stalker-client, Mark doesn't seem bad at all. Pretty clueless at reading Jessica, and can't keep his pants zipped, but I think he does love Jess as much as he is capable of, in his own way. Too bad for Jess, she's realized that she doesn't know herself as well as she thought because the open marriage thing really isn't working for her.

Series 2, ep 5:
I called the ending the minute they showed Jess stuffing her face at Katie's......bet the baby is Dominic's and not Mark's. Well, I hope it's Dominic's because that means he'll have more scenes if there is a series 3. Dominic knocking up 2 of the 4 friends isn't that ridiculous a plot line for this show.

I just don't understand why Jessica and Mark even bothered to get married if the fact that she said "I love you" is such a shocker. Are we supposed to believe that they haven't said that to each other before? What the hell?!

I'm really losing all sympathy for Katie. She needs to just stay away from Jack for a while, but she just cannot help herself, can she? Even if she has good intentions of keeping it platonic, surely she must know that she lacks self control. I'm glad her lies to Dan caught up with her, and looks like next week, Megan may find out about the affair as well.

I'm just not seeing the chemistry between Trudi and Lucas, although I'm glad he showed up with flowers just as Richard was trying to worm his way back.

I'm totally not surprised to find out that stalker Tom was the one who sent the photos and not his wife's lawyers. Guess his fake change of heart was his way of trying to lure Siobhan back and she's idiot enough to be tempted. What kind of moron would turn down Dominic's offer to cook dinner to go back to the hotel room alone to meet with the creep? I wonder what else he's going to try next. Hope Siobhan doesn't have a pet bunny.

And from the promo, Hari is going to fight for custody of Elsa, but doesn't Dominic get a say? He is the biological father after all.

Edited by ovrdedge, Mar 19, 2009 @ 1:58 AM.