What Would You Do?

• Please log in to reply

108 replies to this topic

Myndela

Myndela

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2011 @ 2:21 AM

Harry Tuttle,

You just summed up in a nutshell how I feel about this show. It is such a stupid, bullshit premise. Especially because they have it under the guise of being a news show. It often makes me cringe and is uncomfortable to watch. I also am waiting for the day that someone pulls a "To Catch a Predator" on this whole dog and pony show, but hopefully this circus will be cancelled before that.

(Oh, and it is always nice to find another "Brazil" fan.)

heirloomtomata

heirloomtomata

Fanatic

Posted Mar 7, 2011 @ 1:17 PM

They should rename the show "Busybodies Unite!"

Harry Tuttle

Harry Tuttle

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 10, 2011 @ 2:22 PM

Harry Tuttle,

You just summed up in a nutshell how I feel about this show. It is such a stupid, bullshit premise. Especially because they have it under the guise of being a news show. It often makes me cringe and is uncomfortable to watch. I also am waiting for the day that someone pulls a "To Catch a Predator" on this whole dog and pony show, but hopefully this circus will be cancelled before that.

(Oh, and it is always nice to find another "Brazil" fan.)

Thanks, Myndela. Remember, we're all in this together.

And, continuing on the "Brazil" theme, maybe we could have a WWYD scenario in which a new employee has to share half a desk with another employee in another room. I'm sure that would tell us a lot about human nature.

iscoffy

iscoffy

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 16, 2011 @ 12:42 PM

For some reason, they are showing old episodes of this on OWN, and I caught part of one from 2009 yesterday. I wonder when and why it was they decided to stop using the psychologist "insights" portion of the program? They at least added some value to the show other than feeling superior about what one ought to do.

LeDucDiableBleu

LeDucDiableBleu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 24, 2011 @ 10:37 AM

IIRC, the older WWYD episodes were a little more light-hearted like there was a scenario with a waiter hitting on a guy's girlfriend and filming how the guy reacted and the girl was in on it. Those are the kind of scenarios that were fun and entertaining for me to watch.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2012 @ 12:00 PM

The show last night caught my eye because of the episode about the white girl who told her dad that she was in love with a black guy (who was there at the restaurant with them). The dad was disgusted, said ‘no way’ and was totally unaccepting of the relationship.

Among the other patrons were two older white women who agreed with the dad. Their reasoning reminded me if things I’ve heard throughout the years/decades:
It’s okay to be friends with people from other races but as far as marriage people should stick with their own kind.
What about the children? They will be called names and they won’t know what they are because they’ll be half white and half black.

Ahhh, racism at it’s finest.

What a crock of shit.

It’s no one else’s business if a person chooses to marry someone of another race. There is only ONE reason a person is against interracial relationships: They feel their own race is superior to the other. As far as the pretense of being worried about the children – well, kids are called names all the time for various reasons. Let those parents and children deal with it themselves. It’s no one else’s business.

I don’t think the fact that the two racist women were older was the reason for their position; I’ve heard such garbage from people much younger. I bet those two women sit in church every Sunday and call themselves Christians. What a joke.

Reminded me of the Hilly Holbrook character in The Help.

Edited by isotonerz, Mar 3, 2012 @ 1:03 PM.

Mita_Jo

Mita_Jo

Fanatic

Posted Mar 4, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

The show last night caught my eye because of the episode about the white girl who told her dad that she was in love with a black guy (who was there at the restaurant with them). The dad was disgusted, said ‘no way’ and was totally unaccepting of the relationship.

isotonerz, this segment was the one that brought me to this thread as well. I was flabbergasted. Not at the fact that racism exists, because I know it does. But hearing and seeing the things those two ladies said had me with my mouth wide open and frankly disgusted. The older lady, who tried to explain her racism away with the tried and true "I have lots of black friends" and "what about the children?" nonsense, really rubbed me the wrong way. I think it was when she kept saying that the white girl was so beautiful and how she couldn't believe that she "picked something like that" as if that guy was an object and not a human being. As if being with him would make her less beautiful or taint her in some way. The mere thought of it brought her to tears!!! Tears!!! Ugh.

I watch this show every week and I'm often moved to tears by the compassion that people have towards perfect strangers and I hope that if I"m ever in a situation to help someone, I would. And if I'm ever in need, I hope that someone will come to my aid. At the same time, I hope that if I'm ever in trouble, that old lady isn't anywhere around because I'm sure she would sooner spit on me then help me, since I'm not what she would consider beautiful, seeing that I'm black and all.

Now, thankfully, the other segments kept my faith in people in tact. The scene in the restaurant with the abused woman and her boyfriend/husband gave me chills. The way the men stood up for her and jumped in to protect her was awesome. When that guy invited the boyfriend to step outside, I was almost cheering.

One note: a lot of times, the people always say "I watch this show all the time". Well why don't they ever recognize the actors? If I ever saw one of them in their every day life, I would know them instantly and probably wonder if John Quinones was going to pop out.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:21 AM

people always say "I watch this show all the time".

I know! They use a lot of the same actors - especially that good-looking dark haired guy.

Back to the racist women, even if the black guy had been Denzel Washington in a tux, it would not have mattered. The black actor was nice looking . . .then he hugged her during the reveal - UGH. Wrinkled bitch did not deserve to lick the bottom of his shoe.

People who TRY to hide their racism and white supremecacy ideas behind the bible and so-called concern for "the poor little mixed children" insult my intelligence and make me wanna puke.

Easy solution: if you're against interracial marriage, then don't marry someone of another race. Otherwise mind your own fucking bisiness.

fixed typos

Edited by isotonerz, Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:57 PM.

Shortcake2001

Shortcake2001

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 12:16 PM

People rarely act as outrageously in public as they do on WWYD...

Oh I wish that were true. I can't tell you how many times last year I saw people behave so outrageously and with such callous toward restaurant workers, fast food workers, bank tellers, and one particular incident involving a pharmacist. I even told my friend who was with me, "I wonder if this is being filmed for WWYD?"

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:11 PM

I saw a WWYD segment a year or two ago where a woman (actress) fainted on the street, and most people walked by and did nothing. There was a story in the national news this past weekend where a black 86 year ols WWII veteran was injured in a carjacking in Detroit and bystanders did NOTHING – walked over/around him. (Not saying it was racial . . .I think they might have treated him the same regardless of race.)

But as far as the scenario setups, sometimes I think they're a little over-the-top. I don’t think many people would choose to disclose/announce their homosexuality to their parent in a fast food restaurant or diner.

Edited by isotonerz, Mar 5, 2012 @ 1:14 PM.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 2:42 PM

I don’t think many people would choose to disclose/announce their homosexuality to their parent in a fast food restaurant or diner.

Sure they would. People like to do things like that in a public place so the other person won't react as strongly (or hit them or whatever). I found out that my (now ex) husband was having an affair when we were in a restaurant. He chose that time to tell me so that I wouldn't yell or make a scene. (I didn't yell, but the margarita I threw in his face may have caused a bit of a scene.)

Pepper Mostly

Pepper Mostly

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

I was flabbergasted. Not at the fact that racism exists, because I know it does. But hearing and seeing the things those two ladies said had me with my mouth wide open and frankly disgusted. The older lady, who tried to explain her racism away with the tried and true "I have lots of black friends" and "what about the children?" nonsense, really rubbed me the wrong way. I think it was when she kept saying that the white girl was so beautiful and how she couldn't believe that she "picked something like that" as if that guy was an object and not a human being. As if being with him would make her less beautiful or taint her in some way. The mere thought of it brought her to tears!!! Tears!!! Ugh.

And the actor actually hugged that nasty, hate filled old bag! I could not believe my eyes! I was so horrified by the sanctimonious bleating of both women they interviewed! "It wouldn't work for my family" one says, teary eyed. Yeah honey, just throw the word "family" in there. That makes your racism ok! The old lady with her "I love little children! I hate to see them hurt! Why, the other children" (probably raised by repellent hypocrites like yourself) "will be mean to them!" News flash-kids raised with racism will be racist. Has she looked around? Bi-racial kids are everywhere! Its not unusual. Sickening.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 5, 2012 @ 4:51 PM

the sanctimonious bleating of both women

Unfortunately their attitude is more common than we realize. People's true colors (pardon the pun) often come out in unexpected ways. The disturbing part is they saw nothing wrong with what they said/felt . . .just like Hilly Holbrook in the movie The Help.

Edited by isotonerz, Mar 5, 2012 @ 4:54 PM.

kemon

kemon

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:20 AM

People like to do things like that in a public place so the other person won't react as strongly (or hit them or whatever).

Most definitely true. I worked many years ago in the restaurant business and you wouldn't believe the conversations that took place there. Some were overheard and other times, people just talked loud enough that others could hear. It was definitely because people felt comfortable in a public place, knowing the other person would not react or go crazy. I recall two attorneys meeting there with their clients discussing their divorce and how the husband was having a fit over property division. Another time a man was telling his lover he was not going to leave his wife. It got heated. So as far as the person coming out of the closet and choosing to do it in a public place, I don't see it as being unusual or something that wouldn't occur.

Edited by kemon, Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:21 AM.

isotonerz

isotonerz

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

camom, kemon
Okay, I'm not too proud to backpedal a bit. :)
I re-thought and realize that sometimes people do choose to go to a restaurant or other public place to disclose something personal which might upset the other person. Also, the movies are full of scenes at restaurants where the conversation begins “I think we should see other people . . . this isn’t working for me . . . we’ve made some changes and decided to eliminate your position”.

Edited by isotonerz, Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:42 PM.

soymilk

soymilk

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

Has she looked around? Bi-racial kids are everywhere! Its not unusual.

Seriously, are they aware that their President is biracial?! I wonder which would be more acceptable to them: a gay white couple or a straight interracial couple. I think they'd drop their racism quickly to embrace their homophobia.

camom

camom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 6, 2012 @ 6:25 PM

Has she looked around? Bi-racial kids are everywhere!

I would bet that they are still fairly rare in Salt Lake City.

Brian C

Brian C

Fanatic

Posted Dec 5, 2013 @ 1:44 AM

The show has always been cheesy, but they are taking it up a notch this season with these silly acted intros. 

MethodActor05

MethodActor05

Stalker

Posted Jan 13, 2014 @ 9:48 PM

I think my favorite episode has to be the episode where they talked about girls getting drunk and being accosted by strange men. It's such a realistic scenario and everyone has gone through.

The guy who plays the transgendered girl is kind of unbelievable, though. He plays the character more like a gay boy than a girl.