Dmitry Chaplin: No Shirt Required

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

856 replies to this topic

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 4:57 PM

Dmitry's celebrity is Jewel. I just hope he's changed his hair style. When he danced with Mary Murphy on last season's SYTYCD, I thought his hair was terribly unattractive.

Superficially, Dmitry matches well with Jewel. Jewel lists at 5'6" and will stand at 5'8"/5'9" in heels. Dmitry looks mature, lists at 6'1", and is well built so he will provide an attractive, dark foil for Jewel's blondness. So, I'm interested to see what he can do with her.

Edited for spelling, clarity. I've asked Pem to correct the thread title. My apologies Dmitry. :o)

Edited by ByTheWay, Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:27 PM.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 5:00 PM

His name is spelled Dmitry.

Abra

Abra

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 6:15 PM

Oh, I like Dmitry's hair long. It's much yummier than the super-short look he had in the promo photos for his season of SYTYCD. Although a trim wouldn't hurt. And I like the way you compare his looks to Jewel's, ByTheWay.

I just hope he's got something to work with as far as her dance ability (and both of their personalities as portrayed by the show edits), as I would like to see him go as far in the competition as he can. I'm very happy he's on this season, and hope he doesn't take a hit from viewers who seem to think he's the reason Fabian is not on the show this season.

ByTheWay

ByTheWay

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:25 PM

Video > BDC: Dmitry Chaplin Interview From July 2008

In the interview, Dmitry said he was interested in the Argentine Tango, which may give him an advantage over some of the other pros. This was a re-review of the interview so I found his answers interesting in the context of being cast for DwtS. I wonder if Dmitry's been working to get on the show since last year? I wouldn't be surprised.

Abra, I found his hair style in the interview unattractive and it was similar to what I remember for MM's dance. I don't necessarily think he needs to do a banker's hairstyle. For example, the picture he has on his MySpace shows an attractive cut. But it's all subjective.

Edited by ByTheWay, Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:25 PM.

TruBrit

TruBrit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 11:02 AM

Is it just me or did ABC brought Dmitry to be the next Maks?

First it was Tony….. Then he got old and along came Maks.
Maks got engaged and old too……Surprise, Surprise….. here’s Dmitry

HMMM!

alldance

alldance

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 11:06 AM

What is sad to me is that 29 is considered old.

TruBrit

TruBrit

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

C'mon, you know what I mean.

alldance

alldance

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 11:13 AM

Well - Maks and Tony both have tons of fans that would probably disagree that they have got old in the way you imply it. However, there is a poll out there somewhere that asks who is hotter Maks or Dmitry so obviously you aren't the only one to think it. Good luck with that ABC.

And...welcome Dmitry (from a Maks fan).

Edited by alldance, Feb 13, 2009 @ 11:32 AM.

fridayschild713

fridayschild713

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 6:40 PM

Personally, I don't think Dmitry has been brought in to replace Maks because he's "old". Dmitry's 26, he's not that much younger than Maksim. To be honest, Tony isn't that old either. Anyway, all 3 of them are equally handsome and talented in their own ways. Personally I would've chosen Pasha Kovalev over Dmitry but meh..nobody asked me!

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 7:38 PM

Maks and Tony both appeared on season 2 so I do not think Maks was suppose to be replacing Tony or anything.

I would prefer Pasha over Dmitry too, but I think TPTB were going for youth and I guess Dmitry looks younger than Pasha. I am not sure on the ages but think they are roughly similar in age. Dmitry's choreography on SYTYCD was good and enjoyed it more than most of the current male pros on DWTS.

fridayschild713

fridayschild713

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 9:51 PM

Dmitry is a little more like Maks than Pasha is. From what I remember, Dmitry is a bit of a bad boy like Maks whereas Pasha has more of a gentle side to him. Also, Pasha is 29 (he was born 1/19) as well.

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 1:33 AM

It makes me sad that Dmitry's thread doesn't have a title.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 1:58 AM

How about "Shirtless Wonder"

fridayschild713

fridayschild713

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 11:30 AM

I was thinking "Did we really need a 3rd Russian male?"

Abra

Abra

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 11:33 AM

I really don't get the bad boy vibe from Dmitry at all. I admittedly never watched his season of SYTYCD (or any season, for that matter, I've mostly just watched some dance videos and interviews after the fact). But I think Maks's utter bluntness makes him seem "bad boy" when he really isn't, and I'm not expecting that particular flavor of forthrightness from Dmitry. I think he'll be just as serious about doing as well as possible as all of the other pros, but I'm thinking maybe we'll get a better sense of his personality watching him try to teach someone else. Here's hoping they're in the competition long enough for that, at least.

How about "Shirtless Wonder"

I don't know about that. It kind of makes one seem...deficient. Mentally speaking.

It should poke fun at his penchant for open/nonexistent-shirtedness: "Shirt Not Required", or "So He Thinks He Can Dance Without His Shirt", or something.

I don't have to tell you I'm one of the less clever people around, so other suggestions would no doubt be appreciated :)

catgyrl

catgyrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 11:54 AM

It should poke fun at his penchant for open/nonexistent-shirtedness: "Shirt Not Required", or "So He Thinks He Can Dance Without His Shirt", or something.

I don't have to tell you I'm one of the less clever people around,

I actually really like your first suggestion. How about: "Dmitry Chaplin - No Shirt Required". I agree it HAS TO be about his shirtless-ness.

tip and fall

tip and fall

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 12:06 PM

I like the first suggestion, too -- "No Shirt Required." Or maybe an offshoot of that -- "Shirts are Optional." I dunno, I suck at catchy thread titles too.

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 2:19 PM

"Dmitry Chaplin - No Shirt Required". I agree it HAS TO be about his shirtless-ness.

catgyrl, I agree that whatever the title turns out to be, it has to have some no shirt requirement. I keep thinking back to Nigel and how Dmitry going shirtless whenever he had DOD. I vote for No shirt required or Shirt-optional.

catgyrl

catgyrl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 2:39 PM

I keep thinking back to Nigel

I think Nigel secretly liked it... hehe

EJpants

EJpants

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 4:53 PM

what's DOD?

Zuleikha

Zuleikha

Fanatic

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

I like "No Shirt Required," too. Or borrowing what Cat said when she eliminated him, "Shirts Off!"

DoD stands for, I think, Dance of Death. It's what happens on SYTYCD when contestants are in the bottom three. They have to do a very brief solo to prove that they deserve to stay over the other people in the bottom. Dmitry was known for removing his shirt (or just not wearing a shirt to being with, hello paso doble deliciousness!) during his DoD.

I really hope he lasts a long time on the show. He is a very talented choreographer, and I'm so excited to see what he does for his celeb. I hope he gets to choreograph a pro dance at least once, too.

yesenializ

yesenializ

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 14, 2009 @ 7:10 PM

I like "No Shirt Required" as well.

Abra

Abra

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2009 @ 7:32 PM

Hooray for Dmitry having a thread title! Also, someone on another thread posted the link to pics (finally) of him and Jewel practicing: ABC Medianet. It looks waltz-y to me.

Teeny thumbnail-sized pictures notwithstanding, he looks hot. I embrace my shallowness.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 17, 2009 @ 7:51 PM

4 out of the 6 female celebs have Viennese Waltz??

So only Kim and Denise have Cha Cha?

fridayschild713

fridayschild713

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 18, 2009 @ 6:37 PM

He looks fantastic. Love the shorter hair cut (it was about time, the long hair was in his eyes when he was on sytycd back in August).

nairuti

nairuti

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 19, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

We already know he can choreograph well. I loved his Joshua/Chelsie Argentine Tango last year.

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted Feb 19, 2009 @ 12:55 PM

Thanks nairuti. I knew he choreographed an argentine tango last year, but could not remember which one. I did enjoy that routine and I think he'll choreograph some great routines for season 8.

Edited by harvestbasket, Feb 19, 2009 @ 12:56 PM.

EagerContrarian

EagerContrarian

Fanatic

• Interests:Performing Arts, Politics

Posted Feb 27, 2009 @ 6:38 AM

Somehow, someway, he must bust out the manskirt. Hubba, hubba.

KarenM

KarenM

Fanatic

Posted Feb 27, 2009 @ 10:29 AM

Move over Maksim Chmerkovskiy, "Dancing with the Stars" has a new hunk: Dmitry Chaplin. - The Insider.

fridayschild713

fridayschild713

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 27, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

He's calmed down a lot and matured since SYTYCD. I'm just really tired of hearing about how Dmitry is going to take Maksim's place. There's room for 2 of them, obviously. They're both very different men with very different approaches and ideas.