Dollhouse Meet Market: The Communal Shower

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

435 replies to this topic

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 3:32 PM

Talk-y!

LLLblossom

LLLblossom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 3:51 PM

Squee! There. This seemed the most appropriate place for such a post. Wait, this is the Meet-Market thread, isn't it? Hmmm, conspiracy?

To be more substantive, I hope this show is going to have a bit of a fun Alias-vibe -- you know costumes and capers, but without the increasingly lame Rambaldi nonsense. I only know Joss-work from Firefly, so I don't actually know what to expect. I hope the show will be a surprise contender and get renewed for more seasons after this one. Or at least that it won't suffer from excessive network meddling and will be given an artistically satisfying conclusion.

Can't wait for Friday!

Edited by LLLblossom, Feb 11, 2009 @ 3:52 PM.

Eegah

Eegah

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 5:30 PM

According to Eliza, Joss has a five year plan for the show. Hopefully that'll hold true; it couldn't have been more obvious that he was winging it in the later seasons of Buffy.

Romantique

Romantique

Fanatic

• Interests:Books, yoga, marathons, books, TV, movies, books, tennis, traveling, books, theater, museums...and did I mention books?

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 6:51 PM

Woo-hoo! A forum of its very own! I'm excited about this show too (and nice to see you here LLLblossom!). ITA with you about the Alias callbacks but hopefully we won't see too many wigs...well maybe one red one as a shout-out! And Tahmoh Penikett! Any way to keep that man on TV is fine with me! [/shallow]

TWoP Dietrich

TWoP Dietrich

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 7:54 PM

(thread title fixed)

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 9:29 PM

Hey, Romantique! Not surprised to see you here. And I'll second your Tahmoh Penikett love. He is the main reason I'll be tuning in, but I'm also excited about Harry Lennix and Reed Diamond. Oh, and Joss Whedon's a draw for me also.

I am really glad that this show is getting recapped. I'm not so sure that the show will be great but it should be fun to snark on it...and Eliza Dushku. Sorry, just not a fan of her "acting".

Edited by Nikki125, Feb 11, 2009 @ 9:38 PM.

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

• Interests:Writing, reading, TV (The X-Files, Fringe, Doctor Who, Life, Bones, Numb3rs, NCIS, Firefly, Buffy, Angel), movies, music, languages

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 11:29 PM

Hey, everyone! I'm excited to join in a Whedonverse forum at its very founding. Momentous!

Ooh, I hadn't thought about the Alias angle for the show. That could be cool (although yes, without the disappointing later seasons, please).

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

• Interests:Languages, traveling, music, learning as much as I can, good television and movies, writing

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 11:31 PM

Hi, all! I, too, am thrilled to be watching and discussing a Whedon show from its beginning.
(I'm a little over halfway through watching Buffy S7 at this point, and less than halfway through S4 of Angel. Unfortunately, school keeps getting in the way of watching more.)

ragincajun67

ragincajun67

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:Books, Movies, good TV

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

Welcome to everyone! I'm psyched about this new show, too.

I entered the Whedonverse through Firefly. I actually caught a couple of episodes in their original broadcasts (I heard the song, saw that spaceship flying over the stampeding horses and knew that it was the show for me, plus it had Gina Torres, whom I loved from Alias and even Cleopatra 2525.)

Since then, I caught up on Firefly and Buffy on DVD, never really did cotton to Angel, and I've followed the various players throughout their subsequent projects. I especially enjoyed Tim Minnear's The Inside and Adam Baldwin is hilarious on Chuck (though my interest in that show overall is waning.)

So I was planning to check out Dollhouse anyway. As I mentioned in the old thread, what really got me excited was the spoiler footage included in Jonatha Brooke's music video (which has disappeared from Fox's site and from You Tube, probably because of the spoilers.) It had an emotional depth to it that is not evident in most descriptions & scenes I've seen so far.

See you again Friday, if not sooner.

Jubi

Jubi

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 3:15 AM

Hello folks. I've been anticipating this show for, wow, how long has it been now? Hard to believe it's only (slightly less than) a couple of days away now!

I watched Buffy from the very first episode, so my love for Joss Whedon's quirky brain has grown pretty large over the years. Still, I'm trying to reign in my excitement a bit. I'm not expecting to love this show at first. Even Firefly took a few episodes to get into, and still does when I re-watch. I figure going into it with lowered expectations is a good thing, as I'm less likely to be disappointed and more likely to be pleasantly surprised.

Still, I know I'm going to start getting butterflies toward the end of SCC on Friday...

Hegel88

Hegel88

Stalker

• Interests:Buffy, Firefly BSG, Dexter, VM, Supernatural, True Blood, Castle.

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 11:06 AM

According to Eliza, Joss has a five year plan for the show. Hopefully that'll hold true; it couldn't have been more obvious that he was winging it in the later seasons of Buffy.

Joss also had a five year plan for Buffy so he probably did "wing it" or experiment more with seasons 6 and 7. Plus he was busy with other things.

Wild Roses

Wild Roses

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 3:53 PM

Hi everybody! I'm so excited for this show! I seldom posted in the original DH thread, but I did keep up with the casting news and drama, drama, drama of the show getting off the ground. I found out that hulu will be carrying the episodes, which is how I'll keep up with the show (because I don't have cable right now and my bunny eared tv doesn't get in Fox).

I still haven't seen Firefly but I've seen Buffy, Angel, and Dr. Horrible and have really loved those. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Fox doesn't cancel this.

cutecouple

cutecouple

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 3:58 PM

Hey, everyone! I'm excited to join in a Whedonverse forum at its very founding. Momentous!

Indeed, Namarie. Back in the day (back when this site went under another name), I started lurking here when Buffy was still in high school. That was like almost 10 years ago. Took a while to start posting though. Say hi to your sister for me.

Edited by cutecouple, Feb 12, 2009 @ 3:58 PM.

Mack the Spoon

Mack the Spoon

Stalker

• Interests:Languages, traveling, music, learning as much as I can, good television and movies, writing

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 4:41 PM

Hi, cutecouple! :-)

I'm really not succeeding in not getting my hopes up, here. Heh.

RomoCat

RomoCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 4:51 PM

I'm happy to see that Joss has a 5-year plan, even knowing that plans tend to get disrupted on a regular basis. It's hard to see how some elements could be sustained for 5 years without change (e.g., FBI agent hot on the trail of Echo and the Dollhouse). On the other hand, Joss does tend to do series re-formats on a regular basis; they were nearly an annual event on Buffy and Angel.

On the gripping hand, I'll trust Joss to wing it when he sees fit, as he certainly did with Buffy long before season 6. And as Ron Moore has done with BSG. A plan is a vision, not an outline to be followed in lock-step.

ObSqueeee: Can't wait! It will be at least Saturday for me, until it's available on the net.

Sabra

Sabra

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:24 PM

I want it to be good, I want Joss to shut up those idiots who think the premise is too complicated (hello, Lost anyone), I want Eliza to prove she can act and I want to see shirtless Tahmoh at least once per episode (what, I AM shallow).

I also want five years of kicking ass character development. And I want it to be a huge sucess so Fox can move Dollhouse to another slot and free my Friday's nights.

Edited by Sabra, Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:24 PM.

LLLblossom

LLLblossom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:46 PM

I want to see shirtless Tahmoh at least once per episode

So say we all! Ahem. Though, given that his character isn't a doll, we're more likely to see shirtless Enver Gjokaj.

Anyway, with Tahmoh Penikett and Mark Sheppard having both been in BSG, that's cross-pollination I can get behind. And now I want the episode where Echo is required to accompany a rich geek to a scifi-con....

Also, hey, Romantique! I know I'll be seeing you and stillshimpy at least around here. It would be nice if FOX would leave this show on the air for the full run, if not a second season, to help us all transition from the loss of Battlestar Galactica. "Missing your BSG? May we offer you some quality TV in the form of a Joss Whedon offering?" "Why thank you, don't mind if I do."

Glory

Glory

Fanatic

• Interests:T.V., Movies, Books, Gaming, and animals.

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 10:09 PM

*waves* Hi everyone! Are you all getting excited?

I'm another longtime Joss fan. I've watched Buffy since the beginning (was so-so on Angel) but loved Firefly and various other Whedon projects.

Romantique

Romantique

Fanatic

• Interests:Books, yoga, marathons, books, TV, movies, books, tennis, traveling, books, theater, museums...and did I mention books?

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

It would be nice if FOX would leave this show on the air for the full run, if not a second season, to help us all transition from the loss of Battlestar Galactica. "Missing your BSG? May we offer you some quality TV in the form of a Joss Whedon offering?" "Why thank you, don't mind if I do."

Amen, LLLblossom! It'll be great to see you, stillshimpy, nikki125 and any other friends from the BSG boards around here...though I'm still a little in denial that BSG is coming to a close.

I am very excited about the premiere! I've also watched Buffy, Angel and Firefly from beginning to end - and I blame Joss Whedon for also making me into a full geek by compelling to get the Astonishing X-Men issues...I had never been into comics before!

Nikki125

Nikki125

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 10:45 PM

I want Eliza to prove she can act and I want to see shirtless Tahmoh at least once per episode (what, I AM shallow).

Heh. Yeah, I would really, REALLY like to see both of those things.

I just realized that my DVR is going to get one heck of a workout tomorrow night. I"m already pushing it to its limit with BSG, Monk, Psych, Friday Night Lights, The Soup, and now Dollhouse. Geez, that's a lot of TV! But I think can manage it.

Edited by Nikki125, Feb 12, 2009 @ 10:57 PM.

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 11:05 PM

Hey all. I'm a Joss virgin, so to speak. Never got into his other stuff - and really Tahmoh is what's drawing me to this show. (So another vote for shirtless Tahmoh!) But the premise is right up my alley, so I think I'll find other reasons to like this.

My DVR is also getting a workout tomorrow - but I've got BSG, Sarah Connor Chronicles, Moonlight, and Dollhouse, as well as all my racing starting back up.

I do hope Friday nights become scifi night again and that DH does well. I may as well warn you all that I am the target demographic for cancelled or soon to be cancelled shows.

Romantique

Romantique

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 11:11 PM

I may as well warn you all that I am the target demographic for cancelled or soon to be cancelled shows.

You're not alone. I fear that I am in that same target demographic, having seen way too many shows I've liked go bye-bye.

Gildedmuse

Gildedmuse

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

So, I love Joss and I' really hoping this series lasts. I know next to nothing about it, so I'm not too excited. I don't want to be drawn in by spoilers or speculation, I want to fall in love with the story and not what people say it will be, or what I will be expecting. So all I know about Dollhouse so far is:

A) Joss
B) Eliza
C) It's about dolls. In a house.

Well, okay, that last one might not be entirely true, but I do know the basic summary of what is going on. It sounds like it could be a wonderful vehicle of story telling or... "Look! We have girls in cat suits who can kick things!"

chimaera

chimaera

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:03 AM

Hi, all. I'm another longtime Joss and BSG fan, so this show seems like it's right up my alley. I really do hope this show does well, but I wonder if people will stick around long enough to give it the chance I've heard it deserves. Fingers crossed that Fox lets this one stay around long enough to find an audience -- and that the network meddling is kept to a minimum.

I may as well warn you all that I am the target demographic for cancelled or soon to be cancelled shows.

I'm the same way. All the shows I really like have suffered from awful ratings.

Shallow or not, I'll put in another vote for shirtless Tahmoh. This show could suck and I'd still watch for that.

Namarie

Namarie

Stalker

• Interests:Writing, reading, TV (The X-Files, Fringe, Doctor Who, Life, Bones, Numb3rs, NCIS, Firefly, Buffy, Angel), movies, music, languages

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:05 AM

Hi everyone! Are you all getting excited? - Glory

Yes! Every once in a while throughout the day, I've suddenly thought, "...ZOMG Dollhouse starts tomorrow!"

Don't worry, Jacob's Hair Dye (or maybe do worry?) - you're definitely not the only person who seems to like a lot of canceled shows.

Beanster

Beanster

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 8:31 AM

A sample from last night:

"My life isn't really run by TV."
"Yeah, but you're super-excited about 'Dollhouse'."
"...True."

I've always been a bit late to the Whedontrain (excluding Dr. Horrible), and I still kind of am since I'm only halfway through Season 5 of Buffy and Season 2 of Angel. Therefore I'm really excited to be into this show from the get-go. It's going to be hard to watch every Friday night since I'm in college, but I am certainly going to try.

Hello everyone!

getbusychild

getbusychild

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 10:31 AM

Hi, everyone!

So, this is what it's like to get in on a Jossverse show from the very beginning! Buffy, Firefly and Angel are some of my favorite shows ever, so I have high hopes for this one. I won't get to see the episode until tomorrow (frakkin' work *g*) but I am entirely too excited for it. (There may have been dancing and giggling when I first heard about the show, is all I'm saying.)

Jacob's Hair Dye

Jacob's Hair Dye

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 12:50 PM

Hee, I've long since stopped worrying, Namarie. I just always hope that things work out. Sometimes it does, most times not.

I guess I never understand how people always seem complain that there's never any quality TV on, and then either don't give these shows a chance or complain that these quality shows require too much work/thought to watch. And then I have to sit and flip through the listings for gazillionth season of Survivor or ER or yet another CSI/L&O spinoff in order to find something I'd want to watch. (And I happen to like CSI:LV).

RomoCat

RomoCat

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:00 PM

One parallel with Buffy - filming on season one is complete before any episodes have been shown. So no matter what the network thinks a month from now, they can't interfere much with what's coming. Also, Fox has publicly committed to 13 weeks in the Friday time slot, so hopefully there will be no early cancellations like with Wonderfalls, Drive, or The Inside.

And the rumor mill has it that Joss really found his groove in the second half of the season. So that's coming our way, one way or another.

So now it's D-Day! H-Hour minus eight.

stillshimpy

stillshimpy

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:18 PM

do hope Friday nights become scifi night again and that DH does well. I may as well warn you all that I am the target demographic for cancelled or soon to be cancelled shows.

Same here, in fact, my power to like things out of existence has been known to extend beyond the realm of TV. I've seen entire brands of food I liked disappear from the grocery store. My husband is always teasing me that I've liked something to death, I tell him to keep an eye peeled because as it happens, I'm mighty fond of him. He always promises to make sure to do the occasional despicable thing, just in case :-)

However, maybe since we are all gathered here, with our powers of liking things into oblivion, we will all promptly cancel each other out. Yes, as long as there is an even number of us, there is hope!

What we really need is, like, the one fan whose loved ER since the day it premiered to this day. That one fan evidently has mojo beyond the telling of it. That's the person we need!

*waves to Romantique, LLLblossom, Nikki125 and Jacob's Hair Dye* Hey, we all love, or like BSG, and it's made it all the way through to finishing the story!

Edited by stillshimpy, Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:18 PM.