Eastbound & Down

• Please log in to reply

281 replies to this topic

StuckeyGilmore

StuckeyGilmore

Fanatic

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 8:59 PM

Relief Pitcher Kenny Powers was poised to rule the Big Leagues, but two things got in the way: his fading fastball and his insufferable personality. After a spectacular career flame-out, Kenny came home to Shelby County, NC and picked up a job as a substitute gym teacher (mostly so his brother Dustin would stop threatening to kick him out). He's spent every moment since then cashing in the last of his dying fame while plotting his inevitable comeback... one beer at a time.

'Eastbound & Down' is the latest project to come out of Will Ferrell and Adam McKay's comedic goldmine Gary Sanchez Productions, which also launched FunnyOrDie.com. Starring Danny McBride ('Pineapple Express'), Katy Mixon ('Four Christmases'), John Hawkes ('Deadwood') and a host of other talented comedians, 'Eastbound & Down' was created by McBride along with two friends from film school: Jody Hill and Ben Best. The hilarious new series was shot on location in North Carolina and also includes a few guest appearances by Ferrell as a local car dealer with marvelous hair.

AimingforYoko

AimingforYoko

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 7:49 PM

Is this the first time a show has been named after a Jerry Reed song? Obviously Kenny Powers = John Rocker.
The Onion's AV Club interview with Danny McBride.

Edited by AimingforYoko, Feb 11, 2009 @ 7:50 PM.

StuckeyGilmore

StuckeyGilmore

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 10:38 AM

I've worked as an extra on the show and heard a lot about it, it looks like it's gonna be hilarious. I wish I had HBO so I could actually watch it and contribute to the ratings.

Circumvrent

Circumvrent

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 15, 2009 @ 11:45 PM

I had prepped myself for the worst, but I actually really, really liked it. Danny McBride is pretty great; he totally sells the speech at the end, even though he's such a scumbag.

Props to the casting of Powers's high school sweetheart. She's not the standard Hollywood "hot," but she looks like an actual person, and you can see why Kenny's still attracted to her.

I also really like that this is just a six-episode series. Any more than that, and the concept would probably start to wear out its welcome.

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 17, 2009 @ 1:08 AM

Props to the casting of Powers's high school sweetheart. She's not the standard Hollywood "hot," but she looks like an actual person, and you can see why Kenny's still attracted to her.

To me, she looked like a young Edie McClurg.

I like the show so far. Danny McBride is hilarious. He can say anything, and I would laugh. The very sight of him makes me want to laugh. I'm looking forward to the next episode.

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Feb 17, 2009 @ 12:27 PM

To me she looks too much younger than Danny McBride to have been in high school with him.

This isn't my usual vein of comedy (I couldn't stand Arliss), but I gave it a try and it was funnier than I thought it would be, so I'll watch this tiny little excuse for a season.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

Despite the dreadful review in my local paper, I gave it a chance. I was out in fifteen minutes, with zero smiles. At least I've got ninety minutes of HBO on Sunday night that I love. In a couple of weeks, Breaking Bad will be competing for my attention at that time, anyway.

Edited by pakelihe, Feb 18, 2009 @ 8:20 PM.

pakelihe

pakelihe

Fanatic

Posted Feb 18, 2009 @ 8:16 PM

Sorry, my first double post, ever!

Edited by pakelihe, Feb 18, 2009 @ 8:19 PM.

Jackson Mahoney

Jackson Mahoney

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 19, 2009 @ 11:04 AM

This show is funny as hell.

NegativeCreep

NegativeCreep

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2009 @ 11:58 AM

Wow. Kenny Powers is quite possibly the biggest asshole and egomanic on the face of the Earth. This fact alone is a goddamn guarantee that I am tuning in every week.

dick simple

dick simple

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2009 @ 4:55 PM

Edie McClurg was never young.

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2009 @ 6:55 PM

Edie McClurg was never young.

Good point. I should have said "younger version."

In any case, a dead ringer if you ask me. They should cast her as the mother.

drl

drl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 20, 2009 @ 9:07 PM

I thought it was pretty funny- the autobiography bits alone were hilarious.

buckeyegirl

buckeyegirl

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 21, 2009 @ 12:30 AM

I happened to be staying in a hotel (yay, free HBO) and caught this. It was so outrageously funny that I probably would watch it if I had HBO at home. My favorite quote (as an aspiring triathlete) was: "I play real sports. I ain't trying to be the best at exercising."

And who can resist the mullet?

heatherduke

heatherduke

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 23, 2009 @ 5:18 PM

I also really like that this is just a six-episode series. Any more than that, and the concept would probably start to wear out its welcome.

NOOO! Six episodes - that's not enough! I am loving this show, and I wish more people were watching!!!

Edited by heatherduke, Feb 23, 2009 @ 5:18 PM.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2009 @ 9:31 AM

OMG I ABSO FUCKING LUTELY LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

I thought the first episode was a fluke, but I was lmao at the 2nd one last night.

I love this show so much I talked a male friend of mine into getting HBO just so he could see it.

I really think it says a lot about the actors that know just how far to take material that is so crude, because as I watch, I'm thinking, "why do I like this, I would normally not think this is funny, but every idiotic thing that Kenny does makes me like him more."

HBO: Pay Attention!!! Give them a full 13 episode 2nd season!!! Good lord, the shape the world is in right now, we need something to laugh at.

If I'm forking over $15 a month for the last 10 years for your stupid channel that shows the same stupid movie 100 times a week, then you can give me something I really want to watch!!

"I play real sports. I ain't trying to be the best at exercising."

Best line ever!!

Edited by teddysmom, Feb 24, 2009 @ 9:31 AM.

empty2

empty2

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 25, 2009 @ 8:44 PM

Am I the only one totally hot for John Hawkes in ways heretofore unimagined?

I was completely addicted toDeadwood and didn't pick up anything, but I guess with Timothy Olyphant brooding testosterone all over the screen it was too hard for me to notice anything else.

mrsflair

mrsflair

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 27, 2009 @ 7:06 PM

Living in the south, I KNOW these people .
I watched both episodes that are out on demand last night and LAUGHED.
The show should be getting more attention. Will Farrell was funny as the slimy used car salesman, I figured bjs to sell bmw's was a standard option, now I know LOL

chris93

chris93

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2009 @ 1:15 PM

I watched the first three episodes this morning and got such a kick out of it. I love Jennifer Irwin and am surprised this is her first gig since Still Standing. I thought they took Stevie to a strange little place, but I will keep watching to see how it plays out.

elle3

elle3

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 2, 2009 @ 4:32 PM

I thought the same thing: I grew up with these people! So, so funny.

Thought the u-turn into the boat was uproarious.

Halfpint Ingals

Halfpint Ingals

Fanatic

Posted Mar 2, 2009 @ 4:50 PM

I actually went to high school with Katy Mixon. She is awesome. I don't have HBO, but was watching some parts online. She is great and funny as always. Danny McBride is great.

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 2, 2009 @ 5:03 PM

I'm enjoying the show so far. After last week's ep., I thought that this was no longer a comedy. I felt sure that at the end of the 6 episodes someone will be dead. Kenny Powers himself, or he will kill someone. (Pure speculation.) And that was kind of awesome.

Last night's ep. somehow left me feeling that no one will die after all. It feels like a standard redemption arc is ahead, and that's oddly comforting.

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 3, 2009 @ 8:55 AM

It feels like a standard redemption arc is ahead, and that's oddly comforting.

I was kind of shocked that Kenny was sinking even lower, stealing money from the kids' wallets, doing cocaine in the lunchroom.

I was however, lmao the whole time. Loved the Thunderdome gym class, and

"Cassandra, we have an internet emergency! Meet me in the computer room!!"

"Can you score me some juice? "
"From, like, the store?"

MsFortune

MsFortune

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 5, 2009 @ 1:18 AM

"and if you are a woman...he will finger you with his penis"

My favorite line so far!

elle3

elle3

Channel Surfer

Posted Mar 9, 2009 @ 7:50 AM

I was certainly LMAO over episode 4, until the crisis ending, that is.

Before that, loved that Stevie brought devilled eggs (which are standard at all Southern parties), the way Katy Mixon said "nekkid," and I totally fell off the couch at the end of the makeout session. Great music, too.

Poor Kenny, I was surprised that it all finally got to him. Still hope they close with a happy ending.

calvinthefish

calvinthefish

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 9, 2009 @ 10:49 AM

I haven't watched last night's episode yet, but so far this show is winning me over. There are some pretty low parts, but Danny McBride is killing me with his delivery of lines. And Stevie as his assistant is brilliant!

teddysmom

teddysmom

Fanatic

Posted Mar 9, 2009 @ 2:03 PM

Favorite line last night, Kenny to Tracy

"I had a personal stylist, and you basically shoplift your shit from Fashion Bug".

And when Kenny told Stevie to change clothes, and Stevie not only took his shirt off, but left it off the entire cook out.

The ending was pretty depressing.

Rockbell

Rockbell

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 9, 2009 @ 7:52 PM

So Kenny's gone from Denial to Anger, I guess.

I'm a little surprised that it was the principal who told Kenny what a loser he is. I thought the principal liked Kenny - he begged him to take the job, and pretty much lets him do whatever he wants. Who knew he had secret contempt for Kenny? Is that why he's so happy to be with April? (By the way, those two having sex is the most depressing thing I've seen yet, on this show.)

davidpuddy

davidpuddy

Just Tuned In

Posted Mar 10, 2009 @ 1:25 PM

the end of the first episode with the jetski was the funniest thing i have seen in a long time

braggtastic

braggtastic

Stalker

Posted Mar 10, 2009 @ 2:31 PM

Kenny's brother looks like a total smash up of DJ Qualls & Joey, Bill's brother from Big Love.

Edited by braggtastic, Mar 10, 2009 @ 2:33 PM.