Chelsie Hightower: Ballroom's Tomboy Twirler

• Please log in to reply

603 replies to this topic

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 18, 2012 @ 2:09 AM

I wasn't sure what to make of Chelsie's costume at the beginning of the show, but when they got on the dance floor with the jungle vines I immediately saw that she was a colourful jungle bird. And she looked great!

BookBee

BookBee

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

The exact opposite of Louie Vito, for sure. Chelsie is still friends with him and both their families still get together according to their Twitters.

Case in point: here's a video of Louie's recent winning run at a snowboarding competition in February of this year. Chelsie is in the audience cheering him on, and she's the first person he goes to and hugs. So sweet to see that they are still so supportive of each other and involved in each others' lives.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 24, 2012 @ 10:49 PM

I think the rumba is one of Chelsie's fav dances. Would like to see her dance the rumba with Derek for a pro performance.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 12:58 AM

She really did an awesome job with this rumba. I guess the feedback she got during her stint on SYTYCD - to bring the SEXY to dances like the Argentine Tango (and I see the Rumba as a dance that should bring the sexy) - has really paid off for her.

It feels to me like this was THE sexiest dance she has done on this show even though she still had a sexy-challenged partner to work with. She was able to bring the performance out in Roshon when I didn't see it in Louie Vito. Of course Roshon is a better dancer, plus he is an actor so that may be why. All her other partners were a lot older, except for Romeo. His rumba was during story week, though, and was dedicated to his two cousins who were killed so sexy wasn't what they were aiming for.

Good for you Chelsie. I thought your dance was more steamy than Cheryl and William's.

I think the rumba is one of Chelsie's fav dances. Would like to see her dance the rumba with Derek for a pro performance.

My preference would be with Tristan. Just sayin'.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 6:58 PM

Chelsie & Tristan would work as well. Too bad there is no footage of their time (along with Peta) when they danced for the troops last year (?).

Thadeeeyus

Thadeeeyus

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 7:24 PM

Chelsie looked especially beautiful in the rumba, but the girl had some evil-eye looks going on this week when facing the judges. And I don't blame her at all. Hope she and Roshon hold strong for the remainder. He has so much talent and I want to see them in the finals.

katdlf

katdlf

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:16 PM

Too bad there is no footage of their time (along with Peta) when they danced for the troops last year (?).

There are a few glimpses in this Armed Forces Network clip.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Apr 25, 2012 @ 9:31 PM

Great find. Thanks so much for the little peek!

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 7:39 PM

I think with Roshon, Chelsie has been able to create some of her more interesting and dynamic choreos. Last night, they did astounding with their solo segment in Team Tango. Pleased that they were given overdued praise for their performance.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2012 @ 8:19 PM

AMEN to that. It feels like there is something different about Chelsie this season but I can't put my finger on just what it is.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 7:42 PM

from General Gabbery

It was amazing to me when I read Chelsie's interview where she stated that she doesn't drink or do drugs. I always had her pegged for a stoner, for sure. She always seems kind of high to me, lol. Guess it's the really relaxed personality.

I have included this here for folks that have met Chelsie personally to respond.

From various interviews, I understood that Chelsie has always felt socially awkward about speaking and also hates the sound of her own voice. (Some have chided her via Youtube, FB and twitter, for her childish-speaking voice etc.) She actually took up dancing to overcome a bad case of shyness. I think even now, she speaks and feels awkward when she is being interviewed whether about herself or her celebrity partner. She probably did not anticipated how much PR-work was involved when she agreed to come on DWTS.

I had to laugh whenever paparazzis would ask her after one of those DWTS after-parties whether she had been drinking and she would reply that she gets 'high' just on water and dancing crazy non-stop all night long. (I knew it- too much water is NOT good for you, lol.)

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Thanks for the insight! I didn't know all of that. It makes sense, though.

I think with Roshon, Chelsie has been able to create some of her more interesting and dynamic choreos. Last night, they did astounding with their solo segment in Team Tango. Pleased that they were given overdued praise for their performance.

I agree. I'm loving Chelsie's choreography this season. I have to give her much of the credit for me loving Roshon. One of the ways that I determine/realize who my favorite is is by whose performances I tend to want to re-watch throughout the season. I realized that most of the routines I kept going back to were his, and that means that a lot of the credit has to go to Chelsie for creating the routines.

She's definitely made an impression on me this season, so I really hope she comes back. There's definitely a lot more maturity in her work this year.

I also see growth in Roshon, which is also a credit to her as a teacher. In the beginning he was sooo boyish, but now he comes across as much more manly. I think that's due to what Chelsie is bringing out of him.

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 2:56 PM

Having dropped the show some time ago - I discovered Chelsie for the first time when I picked it up again this season. I adore Chelsie, and think she is sincerely and definitely cuter than two boxes of kittens. Plus she really partnered and taught Roshon well, and dealt well with a situation not of her making - no fan base. I found them an entertaining and charming pair, and loved the way they grew together as a team.

If I watch again next season, I will be looking for Cheslie and hoping she gets another great partner.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 4:08 PM

Even though i'm not surprised they left, considering Roshon's lack of fan base, It still saddens me that she not only has never gotten a 30, but is maybe the only regular pro left who hasn't made the finals.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 10:43 PM

Finally got around to seeing the results show. I was pleasantly surprised that Chelsie won the DaD along with Tristan (who I thought had a chance). I enjoyed the dance, but it seemed to me that they had a few whoopsie moments (she put her hand to the floor during or at the end of a lift, for one). I'd like to see it again without the little mishaps because it did seem to be an honest to goodness samba - with samba rolls!

Chelsie looked smashing in the red costume. I haven't seen much Beyonce so the hurricane machine concept was lost on me. It looked good enough at the beginning but not so much at the end.

ETA: I'm glad they got to dance together. I thought Chelsie would get along well with Tristan because she's so used to teasing from her brothers she'd feel immediately at home with him.

Edited by anothermi, May 17, 2012 @ 10:45 PM.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 2:51 AM

from Tristan thread

Chelsie, to me, is the female Derek. Cute, but not sexy at all.

I suspect Chelsie herself doubts that she is sexy. When she did the SI shoot she was concerned that she 'had to be' because she said that she did not know how to act sexy.

Elsa

Elsa

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 11:05 AM

I loved the opening shot of Chelsie up there on the platform with the hurricane machine - girl can MOVE!! I've watched it quite a few times. Over the seasons, I've liked her dancing more and more - I don't know if she's improved, though she's young and probably has, or if I've just acquired a taste for her style. I'm not sure I'm the biggest fan of her pro-number rumbas, when she's typically barefoot and leaping up onto Dmitry, though I love both of them I'm just not sure it's the best style to showcase her, and after watching the Samba with Tristan, I think THAT's what she shines at. Which makes sense, because she's small and bouncy and has a cute little-girl face, as opposed to long, lean and sultry, which I guess she's going for with the leapy rumbas. Maybe if she's put some shoes on in those? Or do them with a smaller guy - Dmitry's huge which makes her look more like a child?

Oh I don't know - I like Chelsie a lot and hope she sticks around. I'm nervous, what with Peta onboard and Sharna chomping at the bit to get in the regular line-up. There aren't any girls I want to see bumped, but it's the nature of these shows to shuffle things around, and Chelsie sat out Season 13. She's really grown on me and they need a little perky one for the Roshon and Romeo types that will continue to show up in the celeb slates.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted May 19, 2012 @ 11:24 AM

I'd love to see Chelsie come back. I feel like this was her best season in terms of choreography.

Personally, I'd like to see Cheryl take a bump for a season or two. So tired of her.

DanceinRain

DanceinRain

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 10:12 AM

Chelsie always produces an athletic and beautiful dance, if not the technically most precise. She's young and cute and avoids blatantly sexy content, because it doesn't seem to fit her as a person (much as it isn't necessary for Anna T). But Chelsie is most certainly among the most brave and athletic performers in the show, flying high above Tony's head or Dmitry's shoulders with ease.

While I do love the softspoken Peta, I'm concerned that some of the remaining female pro candidates in the troupe would add so much overt sensuality that my enjoyment of the show would fall quickly. Vegas is the place for such antics, and I enjoy Chelsie's gutsy but more subdued girlishness. Let DWTS move on over to the cable channels if they intend to get any more sexy than they are.

I agree with those who doubt if Chelsie could ever partner an MBT winner, however. Her youth alone works against it, although she's most enjoyable to watch.

StayClassySD

StayClassySD

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 5:27 PM

Chelsie isn't that young, I mean she's young but she's not quite the teenager she was when she began. She's only a year younger than Julianne who is currently 23 and Chelsie is 22 so I don't think her age would work against her when partnering with someone to win the MBT when Julianne when was 18 her first season and won. I use her as an example because she and Chelsie are only 1 yr apart in age.

legaleagle44

legaleagle44

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 2:04 AM

Also, Cheryl was only 21 when she won her first trophy -- and Derek wasn't much older when he won his first trophy. If youth were any real hindrance to the pros, Kym wouldn't be the only repeat winner who's over the age of 30.

Edited by legaleagle44, Jun 13, 2012 @ 2:06 AM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 11:18 PM

Mark was also only 21 when he won his first one as well.

It is amazing how well some of these pros handle all of this, considering how young they are, or were when they first started coming on here. Sometimes I forget just how young some of them are/were.

Chelsie just needs more of the typical types who do well on the show. Ty types. I personally don't want that, because to me it's a waste of her choreo, but that's probably what she needs to win. Her most interesting partnerships for me have been the ones with the young, brash, types, so I'd like for the show to continue to give her those types, even if she doesn't win.

Edited by QueenL, Jun 13, 2012 @ 11:18 PM.

QueenL

QueenL

Fanatic

Posted Aug 22, 2012 @ 12:34 AM

Actually, gonna move this to the DWTS Through the Years thread, because I talk about Damien as well.

Edited by QueenL, Aug 22, 2012 @ 12:38 AM.

aceplace57

aceplace57

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Chelsie's classic Blonde moment.
South America speaks Spanish?

Edited by aceplace57, Sep 27, 2012 @ 4:36 PM.

stinamaia

stinamaia

Fanatic

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 5:20 PM

Poor Chelsie. That was so embarrassing for her, but she was a good sport.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Sep 27, 2012 @ 5:41 PM

aceplace57, thank-you so much for that clip. That's a keeper. I'm going to use that for a lesson. It also reminds me of the 'Tysie' moments.

anothermi

anothermi

Fanatic

Posted Oct 2, 2012 @ 1:41 AM

I'm just catching up on clips of tonight's dances and the rehearsal packages. I giggled like a kid listening to Chelsie scream like she was on a ride in Knotts Berry Farm while driving the race car. Was she driving? Even if she wasn't, I envy her the chance to experience some unusual things. I'd love to drive a race car - at least once. Maybe not so much sit on a bull like she did with Ty Murray.

Of course, when I think of her having to put up with Jake Pavelka (and even Michael Bolton) she deserves some compensation.

She seems game for anything, so despite the D'oh moments, I still really like her.

Edited by anothermi, Oct 2, 2012 @ 1:42 AM.

britt479

britt479

Channel Surfer

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 7:07 PM

I think the producers had high hopes for Chelsie every since she joined the show but for some reason it's just not working out for her. I think they dubbed her as the next Julianne but she comes no where close to Julianne as far as personality, teaching, and dancing goes. I feel they gave her a good amount of partners, young and some could move well. But she just can't get them "there". Wasn't expecting her and Helio to leave early either. The producers are probably not high on her anymore since they got Peta...a young blonde bombshell they been wanting since Julianne left.

Sandynz

Sandynz

Couch Potato

Posted Oct 12, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

I think Chelsie is doing fine as a pro especially for someone who started fresh out of SYTYCD and have no mass choreography experience. The problem with her maybe just that i.e. she's from SYTYCD and Mr Conrad Green has/had an issue with dancers from there in the past. (Check Lacey and Dmitry).

Also noted that several of her DWTS star-partners had huge fan support but for some reason, TPTB seemed to have sabotaged them with the judges' scores and weird comments. (Ironically, the only time she had fair scores was when she had *cough*J.P., her partner with the least fan support.)

NB Good thing Julianne is also palsy-walsy with Chelsie. She had to put up with being mistaken for Julianne forever, on DWTS. I think she will be relieved if people start calling Peta 'Julianne' lol.

victura

victura

Loyal Viewer

Posted Oct 14, 2012 @ 11:58 PM

I think they dubbed her as the next Julianne but she comes no where close to Julianne as far as personality, teaching, and dancing goes.

Chelsie and Julianne are completely different people, and I think it'd be a mistake to compare one to the other because the only similarity between them is that they are both blonde and young. Chelsie has a much more chill, tomboyish, laidback personality, while Julianne was a lot more bubbly and in-your-face. I think Julianne had more range as a choreographer, but both have demonstrated good teaching abilities. They are both great dancers but have very different styles and strong suits, and there's no chance I would ever mistake one for the other.

Edited by victura, Oct 14, 2012 @ 11:59 PM.