Chelsie Hightower: Ballroom's Tomboy Twirler

• Please log in to reply

603 replies to this topic

Micha

Micha

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 12:50 PM

Since, we just got confirmation of Chelsie's participation on the show this season. I thought it would be good to have a thread started for her now.

I'm not really that freaked out about her transplant from SYTYCD, especially since we already had one last season (Lacey). How about the general concensus...Are you excited? Or upset that they added her to the show?

Edited by Micha, Feb 9, 2009 @ 5:10 PM.

Tasya

Tasya

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 1:05 PM

I'm definitely not excited. I never saw anything from Chelsie on SYTYCD that was as good as anything that Lacey did on that show or on DWTS. So considering the flak Lacey took last year, I can't imagine what's due for Chelsie. Maybe she'll translate better on DWTS though since she's more standard ballroom and Lacey is more latin.

blondie74

blondie74

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 1:36 PM

I watched SYTYCD for the first time last season... I have to say, I thought Chelsie was pretty good.. she "popped" off the screen. She had chemistry with partners she got, she was excellent in her dances, she was great at ballroom...it was her personality that put people off when they showed the clips of rehearsals. I just chalk it up to being young...her personality on SYTYCD reminds me of Miley Cyrus right now... can't stand her! But, she warmed up and they started showing a different side to her by the end of her run on SYTYCD. She definitely had a couple stand out dance routines during her time on the show. All in all, I think she is a good addition although, I cannot imagine who she will be paired with.

EJpants

EJpants

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 2:27 PM

IA, I think she's very cute and really pops out of the screen, but besides Chuck Wicks - who on earth of the cast will they pair her with? Julianne danced with Adam as a joke, so maybe they have something like that planned. Otherwise, Julianne (i'm comparing simply based on age and bc they have the same cute demeanor) paired with Helio worked because he was so jolly and had a young demeanor too, but I just don't see any of the other celebs working with her.

HEY - you know she's pretty short and so is Woz, maybe they'll make a joke of it and pair her with him??!?!

sunalsosets

sunalsosets

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 2:50 PM

Aww yeah, I hadn't heard - best news about this whole new season for me. I love her and I think one of the things I loved the most about her was how NOT annoyingly perky she was/is. Of course that might be because she's the only girl to four brothers but still, I'm so thrilled. YEA!!

Edited by sunalsosets, Feb 9, 2009 @ 2:51 PM.

blondie74

blondie74

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 3:12 PM

BTW...where is the confirmation? I haven't seen it anywhere! Thanks!

Shelabell101

Shelabell101

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 4:20 PM

I hope she gets Steve-O or Woz

Micha

Micha

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 5:07 PM

blondie74, there is an article in the season 8 thread about her participation this season and there is confirmation on her fanpage on IDF. So, I thought it was pretty safe to post about it.

Edited by Micha, Feb 9, 2009 @ 5:11 PM.

PorkFat

PorkFat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 5:17 PM

Aww yeah, I hadn't heard - best news about this whole new season for me. I love her and I think one of the things I loved the most about her was how NOT annoyingly perky she was/is.

Ditto! I love that she's not saccharine sweet. Shes' a great dancer with enviable legs. If they give her a partner who isn't a crybaby whiner she should do well!

dwtswatcher

dwtswatcher

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 6:25 PM

They'll probably give her to Ty Murray, who has a compatible height. I was hoping Ty and Cheryl would pair up so Cheryl would ride a cowboy for real. (I know Cheryl is likely going with Gilles Marini.)

blondie74

blondie74

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 8:56 AM

blondie74, there is an article in the season 8 thread about her participation this season and there is confirmation on her fanpage on IDF. So, I thought it was pretty safe to post about it.

I wasn't questioning you... I looked at her site and didn't see it...so, I was curious! Thanks!!!!

Micha

Micha

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2009 @ 9:51 AM

Oh, I didn't think you were, blondie74! I just was answering your question. Sorry, if that was implied in my response because that wasn't my intention at all.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 4:14 PM

Ty makes the most sense for her. He's younger than David and Ty and Chelsie have a better height compatibility.

They might last a few weeks depending on how well Ty is.

teevee

teevee

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 11:46 AM

I'm not excited about Chelsie but enjoy her dancing more than Lacey's. Wonder how the choreography will compare.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:16 PM

I'm glad with Chelsie's addition.. she was wonderful on SYTYCD.

I have no problem with crossvers to DWTS because it's not like they are casting randoms from SYTYCD.. They are all ballroom/latin dancers and have other accolades to their name besaides SYTYCD finalist.

Her and Ty could last mid-way through I think.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 2:36 PM

In her SYTYCD season, some people were bothered by her attitude in training footage, particularly in the early weeks of the finals. I wonder how that's going to translate to DWTS. SYTYCD has a very different, more "edgy" (real or contrived) atmosphere than this show, which probably helped account for some of the backlash against Lacey when she got to this show.

Edited by O2Sean, Feb 12, 2009 @ 2:36 PM.

Tasya

Tasya

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 5:12 PM

I was a bit bothered by her attitude but I just didn't think her dancing was all that great. Not even when she danced her own specialty. Maybe she was dancing down to the level of her partners and we'll see some fireworks from her on this show, I doubt it though.

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 5:40 PM

Chelsie and Louis Cha Cha

Chelsie and Louis van Amstel dance a Cha Cha to "Damaged" by Danity Kane at the Scera Theater in late 2008.

I think her Cha Cha technique is really really great. Awesome leg action and lines.

sunalsosets

sunalsosets

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 6:18 PM

I have such major love for that girl - Ty could suck worse than Tucker Carlson and I'll vote for them as long as they last.

Abra

Abra

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 6:25 PM

I think her Cha Cha technique is really really great. Awesome leg action and lines.

Holy crap, no kidding. They're so...speedy :) But fluid at the same time.

shelikestodance

shelikestodance

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 6:29 PM

Chelsie has represented the United States at the worlds at Lavita for the Standard style of ballroom and was also on Team USA in Blackpool, not to mention she has trained with some of the ballroom greats. (in reference to anyone who feels she may be underqualified) Some viewers perceived her personality inaccurately, her intentions were not malicious. She is an 18 year old kid, only joking with her partners. If anyone read about her partnership with Mark or saw them interact in all the tour footage and pictures...one would see that they have a very close friendship. (in reference to her personality)

Edited by shelikestodance, Feb 12, 2009 @ 6:35 PM.

EJpants

EJpants

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 6:55 PM

shelikestodance - come on, which of her five brothers are you? or perhaps her mom?

i'm just having fun, but really, it's ok if you know her, you seem to be very confident in your opinions....thks for sharing :).

harvestbasket

harvestbasket

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:04 PM

Chelsie did not have much of a personality to me on SYTYCD. She was nice enough, but her partner Mark was so charismatic that anyone looks boring next to him. YMMV as I know some did not care for him. I liked him and Chelsie and thought they both deserved to be the finals over Twitch and Courtney.

Chelsie was a ten dancer so she should be fine. While I find her leg action nice (for her height, she is all legs), I do not find her that engaging as a dancer. She does not command my attention like other female pro dancers. But I am not bothered as much by her addition.

Edited by harvestbasket, Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:05 PM.

EJpants

EJpants

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:09 PM

I'm not terribly bothered either because at least ballroom is her specialty.

In contrast... Lacey, it's like she figured, 'sure, i've done some latin, won a few things, I'll do it again in exchange for some fame and mugging opps even though WCS is really my thing'.

shelikestodance

shelikestodance

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:16 PM

EJPants - I do wish I knew her..but I am none of those. However, I obviously love Chelsie as a person and dancer. :P

I respect everyone's opinions. I believe, especially with dancing shows, one either connects with the dancer, or does not connect with the dancer. For example, I had trouble connecting to Katee in S4 of SYTYCD, but I know she is a phenomenal dancer.

I know little about Lacey and her past experiences, so I can not have a solid opinion, but I do agree according to what I do know about her.

Edited by shelikestodance, Feb 12, 2009 @ 7:19 PM.

Micha

Micha

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 8:57 PM

For those of you interested in seeing a bit more of Chelsie's personality, here is a link to her Dance Spirit photo shoot for the January Issue of the magazine. I think it shows her visual resemblence to Julianne, but also, that her personality totally isn't Julianne, at all.

littobella

littobella

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 18, 2009 @ 1:40 PM

I'm not sure I like all the SYTYCDer's going onto other shows. It kinda feels like it limits the undiscovered talent pool. Anyway, Lacey was a charismatic bombshell who made you love her or hate her- but Chelsie is so meh to me

tall1az

tall1az

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 18, 2009 @ 5:28 PM

If the SYTYCDers weren't on the show, in their stead would be pros that are unknown to most of us, but are not "unknown" to other dancers. I like the idea of seeing these people again.... except for Lacey. Chelsie was really engaging with people on the tour. I'd already come to like her quite a bit before that -- she just grew on me during the season.

helot5

helot5

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 20, 2009 @ 9:08 AM

I uploaded some Chelsie youtube videos here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Helot5

don't forget to click the high quality link.

(some of the videos didn't upload to youtube(music violation) so I put them up on vemeo here)

http://www.vimeo.com/user1328795

:)

PBGamer89

PBGamer89

Fanatic

Posted Feb 20, 2009 @ 2:11 PM

Chelsie's leg action is going to set her apart from the rest!

Her legs are incredible!