2-6: "A Pretty Girl in a Leotard" 2009.02.11 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

45 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2009 @ 3:22 PM

Convinced that Walter Kendrick is responsible for Christine Purcell's murder, Patty uses the media to wage war. Meanwhile, Ellen gets one step closer in her attempt to link Frobisher to David's murder.

kariyaki

kariyaki

Stalker

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 11:24 PM

Hm, so was that Damages or a Cadillac commercial.

I love that they've got Frobisher on their side of the legal tangle this time around.

bitty41

bitty41

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 11:49 PM

What is Kendrick's relationship with Maddox?

Was I the only one laughing when it was revealed that Frobisher was the mysterious stockholder.

SassandtheCity

SassandtheCity

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:05 AM

Damn you show! Just when I thought I was getting over it, you've pulled me back in. And if nothing else had happened, Claire Maddox with the waiter thing was a Hell Yeah! moment to me just because it was so tossed off and wonderful.

I was also really glad that there was still tension between Ellen and Katie because that's to be expected.

Bullfrog

Bullfrog

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:20 AM

Hah, so I thought all of this talk about Claire getting around was just typical locker room crap. Turns out she does get around. Pretty clever.

And at last we know what Ted Danson will be doing this season!

I actually thought that part in the showroom was a commercial. I did a double take, then I was like, Oh, that's the securities dude.

Darrell Hammond is growing on me as convincingly maladjusted.

AgeofAquarian

AgeofAquarian

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:40 AM

Was I the only one laughing when it was revealed that Frobisher was the mysterious stockholder.

No. Not at all. It was a great twist.

Pinwiz

Pinwiz

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:43 AM

It's the way of TV now. Product placement like that is important to help pay for the show, although I expected it to blow up when Darrell Hammond got in it.

And I was flailing when it was revealed that Frobisher is working with Patty. Excellent.

AresCupid

AresCupid

Couch Potato

• Interests:Caprica, Torchwood, Nikita, The Soup, Chelsea Lately, Flipping Out, Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency, Rick & Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple In All The World.

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 3:20 AM

I am so sick of this season dragging its feet. Those fugly Cadillacs really don't help matters.

Is it too much to ask for the A-plot to move briskly along and to trim off the rest of the crap that seems to have little to do with Patty? At least, dump all the crap that first-season Patty would've put out a hit on the instant she smelled a rat.

I realize now the thing I can't stand about Ellen being written this way is that Rose Byrne has to play someone with life behind her eyes. Coldness merely comes off as dead on her feet from this actor.

At this point the only thing the show still has going for it are the suits.

Edited by AresCupid, Feb 12, 2009 @ 3:24 AM.

Mindymoo

Mindymoo

Fanatic

• Interests:I'm a musician, a student, a liberal, and I have my own little craft business. To allow you to get to know me, here are my top tens, in no particular order.<br /><br />Music: Pink Floyd. Grateful Deadl Frank Zappa. Nick Drake. Bob Dylan. Donovan. Warren Zevon. Van Morrison. Yes. The Who.<br /><br />Movies: Hedwig and the Angry Inch. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. Pulp Fiction. The Wall. Harold and Maude. The Godfather. Dr. Strangelove. Take the Money and Run. Die, Mommy, Die. Chinatown.<br /><br />TV: The Sopranos. The Twilight Zone. The Daily Show. The Shield. Kids in the Hall. SCTV. Blackadder. Monty Python's Flying Circus. Absolutely Fabulous. Dexter.<br /><br />Books: The Glass Castle. Darkly Dreaming Dexter. The Audacity of Hope. Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers. Night. Anything by Al Franken, Jon Stewart, Truman Capote, Hunter S. Thompson, and David Sedaris.<br /><br />Hobbies: Singing. Playing music. Making music. Sewing. Writing. Photography. Reading. Watching TV. Watching movies. Shopping.

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 4:23 AM

Oh, so it really IS like throwing a hot dog down a hallway!

Good episode. It picked up at episode four, and I think this is now back at season one's quality. The Frobisher twist was great, and I thought it was kinda funny that he thought that Patty was trying to be all buddy-buddy with him. She is way ahead of you, bud. And I have no idea where we are going with Katie. The only problem I have is with Rose Byrne, in that she isn't the same caliber of actor as the others. She is way out of her league, and if Ellen were portrayed by someone more skilled, the show would be perfect.

I am surprised that we have seen very little of Purcell in these last couple episodes. Perhaps the rumors of William Hurt being a total asshole and pain to work with were true, and that is why his appearance on the show is dwindling.

MBenzN

MBenzN

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 6:08 AM

I am surprised that we have seen very little of Purcell in these last couple episodes.

It's a large cast; people get shuffled around. When's the last time that Claire Maddox had anything much to do? And this episode was the first significant appearance by Katie all season. He'll probably pop back up towards the end.

But... I admit. There's just too much going on. I like it all; even the Ellen stuff; but it needs longer episodes or something, to balance it all out.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 9:12 AM

Those hard,cold staring glares Patty was giving Hendricks in court looked like they were burning holes in him. It always amazes me the intensity/emotion Close can put out with just her eyes. (and blank facial expression)

cattycat

cattycat

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 10:47 AM

I missed last season, and felt like I didn't "get" a lot of tonight's episode. It was the first time this season that I felt like I was at a disadvantage for not knowing all the history (with Frobisher, the dirty cop, etc.) That, combined with little to no William Hurt and Timothy Olyphant, and I turned the show off about halfway through.

Is it worth trying again on iTunes?

NeenerNeener

NeenerNeener

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 11:00 AM

Darrell Hammond is freaking me out; I keep seeing him as Bill Clinton whenever he's on screen.

Bullfrog

Bullfrog

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 11:07 AM

I realize now the thing I can't stand about Ellen being written this way is that Rose Byrne has to play someone with life behind her eyes. Coldness merely comes off as dead on her feet from this actor.

I've made my peace with RB, because I think she's beautiful and in small doses quite a good actress. But this is often what separates the men from the boys in terms of prolonged portrayal of the same character - do they grow with the character or just rely on the same 10 emotions and gestures to get through? Unfortunately she falls into the latter. Last night when she got in the backseat of the FBI sedan and did the exact same vacant-stare-over-MVP's-shoulder that I have seen a hundred times, I thought I was watching a recurring SNL skit or something (Debbie Downer?). In any case, I hope that after her experience working with someone like Glenn Close she'll learn whatever she needs to and in 30 years be in the Patty role herself. Or start getting better feature roles and leave TV to those other actors.

Anyway, I forgot to mention, last night when Ellen goes back to the apartment, one of the flashback scenes, I could have sworn, was when StalkerGirl was there. I wonder if StalkerGirl will be making a return? Or if this was just my over-hyped imagination looking for clues?

Finally, I am so excited for more Frobisher. Ted Danson's advice to Kendrick at the ballet was so inappropriate and glorious. And the reveal that Patty put him up to it, a very satisfying reminder that Patty's always in control and knows exactly how powerful men can be manipulated. And that $5-mil was basically a worthwhile fee in order to say Kendrick was a murderer on national TV. Brilliant.

The first four episodes were kind of an agonizing set-up, but worth the wait for the last two.

Douggley

Douggley

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:07 PM

Is it worth trying again on iTunes?

To be honest, the last 6 episodes of the first season were hitting on such a ridiculous level that I think it would be worth it to buy those episodes, and wait to rewatch this last episode on Hulu.com or something. The Frobisher/Katie/KetchupCop/Ellen/Patty stuff was pretty riveting at the end of last season.

amabele

amabele

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 12:54 PM

Dear TPTB/KZK,
1- I don't care about Claire Maddox, 2- give Glenn Close more screentime, 3- lose some of the characters, 4- please, please, please, don't let Maddox anywhere near Phil. Thanks!

voiceover

voiceover

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 2:26 PM

It finally hit me last night: Darrell Hammond is doing Crispin Glover. [shudder] I still don't like him in this.

And this is the first episode that irritated more than fascinated, though I agree about Glenn facing off Kendrick during the settlement hearing. Gotta love that expression that makes...men...shrink.

Also, why is Anastasia Griffith(s?) getting fourth billing in the credits? No offense to the actress, but I don't see how Katie's character is that big a deal this season.

Or is she?

Edited by voiceover, Feb 12, 2009 @ 2:30 PM.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 3:03 PM

Darrell Hammond continues to creep me out right down to my marrow. The little smirk on his face as he said "not yet"? HORRORS!

Man, Schlubby Detective doesn't even try, does he? Always dressed like a bum, with rapist glasses and a pedophile beard. How do other people not notice he's evil?!

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 3:37 PM

The increasing number of "AND"s in the credits made the Frobisher twist obvious to me.

The cop twist was unpredictably cool. Also killing him off made Ketchup cop THE EVILIST OF THEM ALL. I think his appearance doesn't say evil, it says I'm a slob.

Absurdist

Absurdist

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 4:30 PM

I wonder if StalkerGirl will be making a return? Or if this was just my over-hyped imagination looking for clues?

But David's dead, Lila knows it, and Ellen's been exonerated. I don't know what purpose it would serve to have Lila still stalking...who?

I don't know that I like Froby being this dense this late in the game.

I have to agree, all the talk about Maddox at the roast kind of rankled me at first, but then I realized that she really is a slut (not unlike me), and I got past it. I'm really disappointed, though, to see the contrast between Patty/Ellen and Claire in that way, though. The thought that Maddox is somehow less competent than other female lawyers because she got where she is on her back is just saddening.

I think I have an inkling now of where they're going with Claire, and the scary thing is that she has no clue of what's coming, either from Kendrick or from Patty. But, hey, if she's getting her orgasms on the way there, more power to her.

Also glad to see that I'm not the only one who was totally snubbed by the Cadillac commercial disguised as a scene. I was facing away from the TV at that particular moment, and turned around only when the conspirator said he'd pay cash to realize the dirty trick.

I'm a little cheesed off about Kendrick talking as though there's no culture at all in West Virginia while he's still living there. I used to be that way about Texas (where I still live), but I find that when nouveau riche are that snotty, it's because they haven't been looking. There are actual high-caliber ballet companies in West Virginia, so he doesn't need to drag his ass to The City to watch Wendy Whelan's barely-held-together bones dancing Balanchine at NYCB. There are plenty of anorexic girls en pointe in Charleston. If he wants to be all pissy about it, then he can freaking well MOVE and take Patty on face-to-face every day. That's what corporate underlings are for; delegating is a big part of being a CEO.

So who's in the shower? Ellen or Katie? Figure Ellen can't die any more than Patty can, with both Close and Byrne signed for the third season already. Mr. Greasy Undercover Cop has got some bad karma coming up, so now it's just a question of who gets to him first. (And I figure he's got to be undercover, because we've never seen him in a uniform or a suit, though how he has time to be undercover and run errands for Froby is beyond me.)

JeanPoole

JeanPoole

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 5:06 PM

The only problem I have is with Rose Byrne, in that she isn't the same caliber of actor as the others. She is way out of her league, and if Ellen were portrayed by someone more skilled, the show would be perfect.

I love this show but it seems every time RB is on the screen it just goes dead. I keep waiting for something to go on in the eyes but it's just a blank. Thank goodness she's rarely there for long because everyone else is bringing it. The Frobisher twist was telegraphed but still wonderful. TD looks like he's having a ball this year.

txhorns79

txhorns79

Stalker

• Interests:Lawyering.

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 5:13 PM

I have to agree, all the talk about Maddox at the roast kind of rankled me at first, but then I realized that she really is a slut (not unlike me), and I got past it.

Ha, I just think there was something in MGH's contract that said she basically gets a scene to show off her legs, so Claire has to be sexing a lot of people up. Though I have to question the set up at the dinner, did I miss something where Claire is 25 or so years older than she appears to be? Because if she can get someone like the hot waiter, why would she want someone who looks like her grandfather?

And hell during the settlement talks, I half expected a scene to show up where MGH is getting dressed while Glenn Close was in bed. It was all in the way they looked at each other. And that must have been the fastest lawsuit ever. I think Patty was served and they were having a settlement conference the next day.

JessicaLovejoy

JessicaLovejoy

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 5:29 PM

why would she want someone who looks like her grandfather?

Because he has his own island!

bitty41

bitty41

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 8:20 PM

Man, Schlubby Detective doesn't even try, does he? Always dressed like a bum, with rapist glasses and a pedophile beard. How do other people not notice he's evil?!

This comment is gold! :Like last week when he's standing over some poor kid's dead body and is more worried about cheese burger having fries.
Can someone please expose this lowlife murderer.

Rare Books

Rare Books

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 10:29 PM

Welcome back, MGH's enormous breasts!

The scene at the theatre between Frobisher and Kendrick confirmed to me how the former completely overshadows the latter as the bad guy. Kendrick is just so blah; Frobisher was - and remains -compelling and magnetic. I think that most of the credit for that goes to Ted Danson, who just owns that role.

Glenn Close's eyes earned an Emmy nomination during the courtroom negotiation scene. It would have been even better had she not been given that one line to say.

I've stuck myself in Rose Byrne's corner throughout this series, but must agree with the comments above about her lifeless acting. She really does seem out of her league, although, to be fair, perhaps she is a victim of the way her character has been written.

Anastasia Griffith's fake American accent really faltered. It was never great to begin with, but she obviously struggled during this episode. She should get tips from her brother, Jamie Bamber, on how to do it convincingly.

Was this episode the first post-strike one? Close's haircut was different and so was Tate Donovan's.

Absurdist

Absurdist

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 12:52 AM

why would she want someone who looks like her grandfather?

Because he has his own island!

Oh, yeah, baby...

She got where she is by being slutty, not stupid... :-)

You think that waiter makes the serious coin like the grandpa? Not on your life.

Edited by Absurdist, Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:02 AM.

chattycathyLA

chattycathyLA

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 3:26 AM

Anyone else notice the Cadillac commercial as part of the program? At first, I thought I was actually watching a commercial (because one of the sponsors of the show IS Cadillac), but then I realized it was just blatant product placement.

Oops, I guess a few of you did notice!

I'm really disappointed with the quality of this show. Last season it was one of the best things on TV and this season so far has been yawn-worthy. This latest epi was a little better, but I'm still waiting for something major to happen. The Frobisher surprise was not enough for me and seems very contrived. Where are the writers from last season? Who is writing this new drivel?

Edited by chattycathyLA, Feb 13, 2009 @ 3:32 AM.

shegunner

shegunner

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 8:54 AM

I'm a little cheesed off about Kendrick talking as though there's no culture at all in West Virginia while he's still living there. I used to be that way about Texas (where I still live), but I find that when nouveau riche are that snotty, it's because they haven't been looking. There are actual high-caliber ballet companies in West Virginia, so he doesn't need to drag his ass to The City to watch Wendy Whelan's barely-held-together bones dancing Balanchine at NYCB. There are plenty of anorexic girls en pointe in Charleston. If he wants to be all pissy about it, then he can freaking well MOVE and take Patty on face-to-face every day. That's what corporate underlings are for; delegating is a big part of being a CEO.

TOP RANT!

This confrontation gave us a chance to see Frobisher v. Kendrick and who comes out on top. (Kendrick, at the ballet, but Frobisher takes a point through being Patty's plaintiff) So game on.

katewrath

katewrath

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 4:27 PM

I understand how Mr. Cheeseburger got his nickname, but for me, he will always be Evil William Peterson.

This show is *so* enjoyable, and whatever is going on with Marcia Gay Harden's eyebrows is *so* tragic. She had one scene this week -- walking outside with Kendrick, maybe shot weeks before or after the rest of the ep -- where she looked normal/great. Eyebrows roughly aligned with her browbone, tailored suit hugging her curves. The rest of the ep, it was like her arches had been weaving in the breeze like antennae and then froze halfway up her forehead when the camers rolled, trying to avoid detection. Simultaneously, her costuming went to hell, and everything made her look dumpy and thick-waisted.

I hope this was the last we've seen of the stocking-fixing, hair-pushing maneuver. We get it! She's a sex pot.

Otherwise, this show gets a big, sloppy wet kiss from me. I love it all -- the transparently obvious Cadillac plug, the slightly shaky I'm-a-broken-man act that Frobisher gave Kendrick, the reversals, the back-and-forth timeline --- mmmmmmwwah!

P.S. It's taken me a year+ to figure it out, but I'm pretty sure the writers use that "Insert time here/ago/later" to plant scenes with characters who are supposed to be currently off-stage, but whom they need to do some expositing.

eyelash

eyelash

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 7:19 PM

I don't find it plausible David had a gift for Ellen delivered to their apartment. Wouldn't David have purchased it prior to the big argument that resulted in them questioning whether to go ahead and get married? His big complaint was how work was taking over Ellen's life. It seems to me under those circumstance he would have taken the gift to Ellen in person at work, where she spent all her time. Or at least given it to her in person at their apartment to try to get some face time and appreciation from her. Having something delivered to the apartment instead just doesn't make sense to me.

I've never been right about anything in this show yet, but I'm wondering if the gift turns out to be the gun we see "flash forwards" of Ellen using sometime this season. But no matter what it is, I don't believe for a minute it's from David.