2-5: "I Agree, It Wasn't Funny" 2009.02.04 (recap)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

46 replies to this topic

TWoP Gadget

TWoP Gadget

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 7:32 PM

Patty begins to suspect Ellen's motives for returning to the firm. Meanwhile, Patty's on a mission to stop a corporate merger that she believes is connected to Christine Purcell's murder.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 11:02 PM

Kendrick dressed up in drag and "Lester" in the audience watching the roast. Is this "The Wire?"

PostcardtoaLake

PostcardtoaLake

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 11:02 PM

Oh Phil, you dirty louse. Poor Patty.....

Wow, I am so confused. So is the dirty cop actually working for Patty, and Wes is too?

Did I miss the scene in the previews where they show Patty's bloody face, or did it not air in the episode?

And more evidence that Patty may not have ordered that hit on Ellen!

carrlos00

carrlos00

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 11:04 PM

It seems every episode fills me with more doubts than anything, only thing I have to say is that next one seems like must see.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 11:39 PM

Holy crap, that was a lot to digest. Dare I saw, almost too much! But I still enjoyed it all.

It seems every episode fills me with more doubts than anything,

Definitely, and then there's lot of "uh huh's" and "the hell's?!"

Kendrick dressed up in drag and "Lester" in the audience watching the roast. Is this "The Wire?"

Heh. But that roast scene went on bit too long for me.

Did I miss the scene in the previews where they show Patty's bloody face, or did it not air in the episode?

There was a Patty bloody face part? Huh...I never saw that in any preview...yet.

I have to say, I love when we see Close/Patty play that evil undertone or when she's chewing someone out. She's friggin' scary! I just have get the biggest smile on my face when I see that nasty side. (like when she called Ellen into her office and yelled at her for the cell phone) I also thought it particularly creepy/fun when she when was walking out of Ellen's office and turned around quickly and said something about her party.(did she thank her for coming, I can't remember) but she had the greatest devilish smile on her face when she said it, and that made me get biggest smile too!

PostcardtoaLake

PostcardtoaLake

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 11:44 PM

There was a Patty bloody face part? Huh...I never saw that in any preview...yet.

It was a preview for this episode on the FX website. They flashed Phil kissing the curly-haired woman and Patty wiping blood on her cheek with a shocked look on her face.

DEM

DEM

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 1:29 AM

This was the Damages I know and love. Lots of info; lots of rapid-fire scenes; lots of Ellen-Patty mano-a-mano. I can't tell who is working for/against whom anymore. And thank dog Purcell had less screentime.

My guess (from 3 weeks ago) that StalkerBoy may be Ellen's shooting target got even more support tonight. Yes! (Of course, this probably means that it's definitely not him, but still.)

Who was that Wes murdered?

Pinwiz

Pinwiz

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 1:40 AM

I was so surprised to learn that Patty had nothing to do with Ellen's attack. 100% total shock. Between that, the revelation that the FBI probe is probably in motion to support corporations instead of justice, and StalkerBoy working for Creepy Beard... damn, show. I love you.

Rollins316

Rollins316

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 1:47 AM

Wow, I am so confused. So is the dirty cop actually working for Patty, and Wes is too?

I think the dirty cop who murdered David is employing Wes for his own purposes and his own purposes alone (IE keep an eye on Ellen)

I have to think, especially given her reaction when she was told "it was done", that Patty HAD TO at the very least known that Ellen was going to be attacked and gave some sort of tacit approval of the deed, even if she ultimately regretted doing it.

Outright absolving Patty of the attempt on Ellen's life would be akin to if season two of "The Shield" had a subplot where we find out that Vic Mackey did not kill Terry Crowley after all, that he simply put him in a coma and that Acaveda arranged for Terry's death to be faked for some inane reason. It would be a massive bit of pandering as far as making Patty an "acceptable' heroine by whitewashing the character's big "original sin".

Edited by Rollins316, Feb 5, 2009 @ 1:51 AM.

AresCupid

AresCupid

Couch Potato

• Interests:Caprica, Torchwood, Nikita, The Soup, Chelsea Lately, Flipping Out, Janice Dickinson Modeling Agency, Rick & Steve: The Happiest Gay Couple In All The World.

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 2:40 AM

I don't think they're trying to say Patty didn't try to have Ellen killed last season. Pete called Patty to tell her "It's done." as far as he knew at the time, and Glenn Close said in an interview she had a friend who had something similar happen to them, and went nuts.

But if they really are trying to play it that way, I'll stop watching this show. This season's given us more than enough crap trying to spin everything in the opposite direction from last season.

Nice that we got to see some more about people's motivations and connections, but I'm still not a fan of Patty not calling any shots.

Damn, no Josh. At least Wes stopped being boring. Now if only they would realize his shitty heavy metal theme isn't doing the show any favors.

Edward

Edward

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 4:50 AM

I love this show. I've raved about this show to all of my friends.

This was a mess of an episode. Horribly plotted, horribly directed. A huge disappointment.

Did any of the twists and turns in this episode seem organic?

So Ellen didn't kill her attacker. Okay. But Uncle Pete has been letting him linger around town all this time? Not only that but the attacker is casually doing other errands for Uncle Pete? Huh? Dumb.

The hitman cop from season 1 who seemed so cavalier about knocking people off is now so paranoid about meek Ellen that he's got Wes doing undercover work to discover whether she's going to come after him? HUH? The only connection between the hitman cop and the murder of Ellen's fiancee is Frobisher. There's no way Ellen could have proven that relationship. Using Wes to get close to Ellen is incredibly idiotic. The cop being worried that Ellen is coming after him is beyond idiotic.

Patty's husband is having an affair? Okay, I can buy it. But how about fleshing that out some instead of dropping it randomly in this mess of an episode.

Ultima National's top guy is all about protecting himself and his business? Then why is he having casual conversations with William Hurt's character about the murder of his wife? Does that seem smart to anyone else?

And what in the world are we supposed to understand regarding those finals flash-forwards with Wes and Ellen? He's taken all of his guns. He's cancelled his flight. He's staying with Ellen while he's committing murder. SO WHAT? None of it means anything!

Lastly, the choppy editing and the performances of the guest cast was just sub-par for this show.

And did Patty's hair change length mid-way through this episode?

If the next episode is as aimless as this, I will start to suspect the writers have bitten off much, much more than they can handle.

LastBlue

LastBlue

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 7:49 AM

I'm puzzled by the FBI agents. Do they really have a whole undercover operation designed just to get Patty disbarred? Don't federal law enforcement have better things to do, like, say, go after companies like Kendrick's? I'm confused about what they're trying to get done that requires this Alias-like undercover op. Plus the agent scenes with Ellen feel lifeless and seem to go on forever.

crazykathat1

crazykathat1

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 10:18 AM

Best episode. Ever.

Ganymedeone

Ganymedeone

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 12:00 PM

That was confusing, but, if it pays off as well as last season, might be one of the best episodes simply for the fact that it added so many elements to the story. We've seen the FBI agents doing what seems to be standard FBI-style surveillance and we've also seen a third agent, so I'm willing to buy that they are legit, but this was maybe the third time that the second agent received a call that the first agent asked about in terms of a wife. Given that nothing is ever random on this show, I have to figure that the wife or the agent's marital situation will be of some importance. Weird weird stuff. But intriguing.

rapunzelchick

rapunzelchick

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 1:01 PM

My impression was that Wes was retained by Ketchup Cop on behalf of Frobisher, to determine how much of a threat Ellen may be to his safety and to protect him, if necessary. But now that I've typed it I realize that makes no sense. Maybe the cop is worried about covering his own ass over the things he did for Frobisher? And what ever happened to the second hit man that was present at David's murder? Argh, I don't know. I am totally confused by that story line.

I'm also puzzled about the twist with Uncle Pete/the hit on Ellen. The flashback to Pete telling the injured hitman "My boss can't know about you" at first lead me to believe that Pete acted on his own. But then I remembered that he sounded kind of defensive when telling Patty that he doesn't leave any loose ends that can hurt her, and it occurred to me that maybe what he meant was "My boss can't know that you ultimately survived."

Up until this episode I considered Phil the only good guy. Oh Phil! It's not just the affair (with a non-Brit? in London?). I think there's more to his relationship with "I Agree, It Wasn't Funny" guy and his interest in the specifics of the UNR merger. Speaking of that guy (sorry, so bad at all the names) - is it possible he was the man we briefly saw with Katie in her 10 second scene a few episodes ago?

I feel like I have absolutely no idea what's going on. And I'm loving it.

Bullfrog

Bullfrog

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 2:51 PM

Oh, KZK, I'm sorry I ever doubted you! I have no complaints at all about last night (even William Hurt taking his glasses off to look at Kendrick, which may have been one of the most actor-y things I've ever seen) -- SO much better than I could have hoped. Glad to know at least what happened to Purcell's wife -- still would like to know why it was more important to him to sell out his family than blow the whistle. It can't be that he's just that spineless.

I actually cringed at the Claire Maddox joke.

I have to think, especially given her reaction when she was told "it was done", that Patty HAD TO at the very least known that Ellen was going to be attacked and gave some sort of tacit approval of the deed, even if she ultimately regretted doing it.

I still think "it's done" referred to something else entirely. But of course I can't say that with any certainty.

And Mili Avital as The Other Woman. I can't wait to watch it all again.

TimWil

TimWil

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 5:35 PM

rapunzelchick I thought it was totally viable that hubby was screwing a non Brit in London because it seemed entirely possible she was a financial work colleague of his who might even socialize with Patty back in NYC. I have a feeling they have one of them "open marriages," anyway, as long as shit occurs out of town/country. I won't be surprised to see her turn up at their swanky pad in a future episode. I don't think the actress would sign on just for that one short scene.

A few snarks about the supporting cast: Darrell Hammond continues to be faintly ludicrous, IMO, as a baddie. At least he has resisted the temptation to purse his lips a la Clinton. Tom Aldredge as Uncle Pete is so damn frail I worry if he'll make it through the season. Clarke Peters (Pell) is pretty stiff, so far. John Doman (Kendrick), however, is great.

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 6:17 PM

I'm bet that Wes kills Detective Ketchup in the ending since he shows up all torn up and vulnerable at Ellen's apartment. I guess he did it to protect her.

I'm trying to make sense of Wes' role. He spies on Ellen to see her progression on her fiance's murder case and keeps her away from Frobisher (since he might give up his accomplices to save his pathetic life). Then why would he offered her a gun? To test if she has it in her to kill? My head hurts.

Oh so Purcell was burning the remote he was holding on the day of his wife's death. I thought at first that it was a remote, but it didn't make sense back then.

Oh Uncle Pete, thats what you call a loose end and Patty's source of demise! I guess they will bring him back for the series finale.

Mia Nina

Mia Nina

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 7:22 PM

Was Uncle Pete's "my boss can't know anything about you" about the fact that the attacker had survived the stabbing? Or was that line said before the attack on the elevator?

Uncle Pete did tell Patty he left no loose ends, but the attacker surviving is a big one, so he can't let Patty know about that one.

Edited by Mia Nina, Feb 5, 2009 @ 7:23 PM.

crazykathat1

crazykathat1

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 7:23 PM

and it occurred to me that maybe what he meant was "My boss can't know that you ultimately survived."

Great point.

Also, I'm not sure why some are surprised by Phil's affair. I never felt as though they had a loving, connected relationship. It was more just...convenience. Close friends who are married. They just play their part. It's not as if Patty gives herself to him. She doesn't give herself to anyone, except, perhaps, her son.

There always seems this unspoken element in their relationship. Things just left unsaid.

I feel like I have absolutely no idea what's going on. And I'm loving it.

Another great point.

Rare Books

Rare Books

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 8:18 PM

Finally, they give Phil more airtime. I love Nouri's voice and presence. But, why did they have to show him as unfaithful? I agree with an earlier poster who said that it was random. However, I trust the writers to explain it in depth in coming episodes.

I wonder if Kendrick in drag was a in-joke among TV writers? That is, those of us who watched The Wire will recall that the character he played was a closet homosexual. To me, it seemed to be too much of a coincidence. And Lester is back! However, he seems to be playing a bad guy, which disappoints me.

I think that Clench and the detective are on hire from Frobisher, who is still worried about Ellen. This may explain why Anastasia Griffiths is being given top billing and, presumably, a significant role to play. That would only make sense if the Frobisher story were going to become more prominent as the season progresses.

All in all, this was a cracker-jack episode and made up for any apparent mis-steps in the earlier ones.

Edited by Rare Books, Feb 6, 2009 @ 9:55 AM.

eurp

eurp

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 8:43 PM

And Lester is back! However, he seems to be playing a bad guy, which disappoints me.

I'll take Clarke Peters in any kind of role. John Doman, not so much.

Auntie Anxiety

Auntie Anxiety

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 8:44 PM

I wonder if Kendrick in drag was a in-joke among TV writers? That is, those of us who watched The Wire will recall that the character he played was a closet homosexual. To me, it seemed to be too much of a coincidence. And Lester is back!

I mentioned that right after the show was over. I loved The Wire, best show on television, and I always have a hard time seeing those actors in other roles. Looks like the actor who plays Kendrick has been type cast!

Looks like I'm going to have to rewatch this episode. While I'm watching, I think I know what's going on, then when I think about it, I feel like it went right over my head.

When Uncle Pete showed up last season, I was surprised because he looked like he was so sick during the last season of The Sopranos. I hope he's okay.

MzTeaze

MzTeaze

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 9:04 PM

I'm thinking that Wes is a contracted person working for the Ketchup Cop. He gets paid but I think he either feels bad for Ellen or became sympathetic to her cause later in the game. I have to say - I had NO idea that he was the same guy in Hitman (Wes).

I was surprised to see Pete admitted to acting on his own in the attempt on Ellen's life. But I am thinking that Patti HAD to know that he was involved, especially since her house was mysteriously cleaned up after Ellen admitted to a serious fight (and murder in her mind). If any other entity was involved, they wouldn't have cleaned up the place, would they? Hmmm

Rare Books I think you made a good point about Kendrick being dressed up at the roast. I didn't know about the Wire connection. He seems like a thug in a suit.

I wasn't surprised at Phil's affair. He seems to be gone for long stretches at a time, so I am not surprised that he gets side action. Seems to be a regular occurrence for guys in that profession.

jase-bot

jase-bot

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 9:32 PM

I wasn't surprised by Phil's affair either.

Really liked the episode but I am lost on Wes, etc. I hope they aren't trying to say that Patty had nothing to do with the hit on Ellen, but rather that Patty didn't know Pete's flunky was still alive. That would be a huge copout if Patty didn't know. Otherwise, I'm fine with the season so far. Don't see the huge problems; last season got as confusing and complex as this one, at times.

LisaM

LisaM

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 9:40 PM

The Claire Maddox joke at the roast made me uncomfortable as well. I was definitely surprised by the Phil affair. Just didn't see that one coming.

valny

valny

Stalker

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

Who was that Wes murdered?

You know I don't think I was wearing my glasses and all I remember was a bullet hole in the windshield and him getting out of the car. Ididn't realize someone was in the front seat.

Looks like I'm going to have to rewatch this episode. While I'm watching, I think I know what's going on, then when I think about it, I feel like it went right over my head.

Oh boy, do I know how you feel Auntie Anxiety! I even had to watch S1 twice just to truly understand everything that happened.
But it's fun trying to figure it out, even if it's head-scratching some of the time.

Edited by valny, Feb 5, 2009 @ 10:20 PM.

JulesP

JulesP

Fanatic

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 10:20 PM

It's not just the affair (with a non-Brit? in London?).

I just assumed he didn't actually go to London, that he used that as an excuse to spend a couple of days with his girlfriend. It's NY, so you don't have someone drive you to the airport so it would be easy to fake going out of town. That seems kind of elaborate, though.

The joke made about Claire was made by Tom Arnold about Roseanne way back when they were getting divorced and it was printed everywhere. It wasn't funny then either.

returnnative

returnnative

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 5, 2009 @ 11:57 PM

This was an excellent episode as it finally progressed some of the plots forward. I like that we know what Wes' role on the show is. However, there is a question of how many people will be shot as this season concludes. In the last shot of this episode we see Wes shoot someone in a car. I saw something that looked like blood spew onto the windshield. Earlier in the episode when Ellen and Wes are at the shooting range, Wes says to Ellen that she didn't hit any of the targets at all. I think it is highly unlikely but could it be possible that Ellen totally misses the person in the bar that she was shooting at.

The more that I see the plots unfolding on this show the more I believe that Ellen will ultimately not get revenge on Patty or Frobisher. There are just too many forces in play against her and she has zero allies. She's got Wes/sleazy cop and Patty/Uncle Pete gunning for her, not to mention that Frobisher could probably hire people to eliminate her if he wanted.

I enjoyed the psychological game that Patty and Ellen played against one another. In that one great scene where Ellen gets chewed out for answering her cell phone during the staff meeting, I just love how Patty is so assertive and uh um bitchy (sorry couldn't come up with a better adjective). At the end she mentions Tom's party at her apartment for effect. She knows that Ellen still has severe trauma from the attack at her apartment and is using it for a psychological advantage. Ellen for her part brings up one of the few chinks in Patty's armor: Fiske's suicide. It was during the aftermath of that event that we saw Patty at her most vulnerable. Both women knew each other's worst secret and used it accordingly. It also brought up the ntion of shared guilt as a major theme in the show.

Back to Patty--most of the men in her life are slowly leaving her. Daniel has already betrayed her; Michael will probably spend a lot more time with Daniel; Phil has started having an affair; The only person she can trust in Uncle Pete but even that has its complications as he kept the news of the survival of Ellen's attacker from her. I wonder if this means that she will entrust more secrets with Tom.

A minor point--did anyone find the scene where Ellen is talking about Tom's party with the FBI guys kind of funny. As she is telling them, the Italian agent is standing there reading a magazine and when Ellen finishes talking he kind of casually suggests that she bring a tape recorder to the proceedings. The WTF look from Mario Van Peebles had me laughing.

MBenzN

MBenzN

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 6, 2009 @ 3:05 AM

Uncle Pete has gone off the reservation. I think the call on Ellen was entirely his idea, and Patty went along with it.

Wes, wes, wes. Who did he shoot in that final scene? When was it even set? It wasn't set in the future because it didn't have that yellow glow. Or at least it wasn't set at the same time in the future. Was it a flashback to the death of stroller guy last season? He was killed in the same way and not found for hours...

And so is bearded cop working for Frobisher? What about Poor Man's Morgan Freeman? Who was he working with? And that woman that Phil's having an affair with is probably leaking things.

Arrgh! Too many characters! Just this week we had the reintroduction of a pervious character, and two more showing up. Last week was another, the week before three! *Head spins* *Head desk* *Head snaps*

And did Daniel really blugeon his wife to death with a remote controller? Even so, there's more to that scene than meets the eye, methinks... Some of his wife's arguments were significantly shorter than the silent scenes we've seen in previous episodes.