Shonda Rhimes and Co.: The Psych Ward

• Please log in to reply

1958 replies to this topic

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 6:56 PM

Scandal has all of its episodes filmed, Private Practice is finishing filming its season finale this week and Shonda tweeted recently that she is writing the Grey's season finale. Given the timing my guess is that something she is writing for Grey's inspired her to tweet the quote. Let the guessing begin.

Good to know where SR gets her inspiration and how seriously she takes it. I just wished she would follow through with the damn stories. Maybe then I wouldn't be so bothered with her sadism.

I insist Derek will get in some bad accident or horrible diagnosis that he can either be miraculously live or die in the S9P, depending on PD's contract negotiations. Or something for Cristina. That could certainly be a hard time for Meredith.

LakeLover

LakeLover

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

I insist Derek will get in some bad accident or horrible diagnosis that he can either be miraculously live or die in the S9P, depending on PD's contract negotiations. Or something for Cristina. That could certainly be a hard time for Meredith.

He was almost killed by the gunshot, you'd think he'd be spared! I really don't want to see someone killed off, because that makes it impossible for a guest shot here and there.

cappy84

cappy84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:14 PM

This may certainly have something to do with her writing the finale, but my first thought when I saw it was with the new C/O sneak reelased today she's getting more tweets about them and what she is doing to them, plus probably an influx of M/L after last nights little piece of information and it probably has more to do with that. Just my opinion.

Jenrin

Jenrin

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:30 PM

Be a Sadist. No matter how sweet and innocent your leading characters, make awful things happen to them—in order that the reader may see what they are made of. -- Kurt Vonnegut

So, I say Season 6 style finale, but even more hard core. I get the sense that Shonda may view the ending of this season, and the core resident team graduating, as the end of a chapter. Nothing is going to look the same next season. I would bet decent money that not everyone is returning and that may not just include the originals.

I think April's going to fail her boards and may determine that she's never going to be a surgeon. (she can still be a doctor) There were no sides for the 3rd doctor, who I think is interviewing Avery. Since Richard/Catherine run into each other at the hotel, I suspect that Richard may be on his panel...(making it his mother seems extreme.). I have a feelig Richard and Catherine will have slept together the previous night, which will make for major awkward.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch, the speculation is that Arizona's childhood best friend is dying. But I suspect something bigger than all of them, like an earthquake or Volcanic erruption or tsunami or a combination of all of the above will strike at the end of episode 23 and no one will be safe. I think people will live/die not just based on contract status, and next season may look very different.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 7:59 PM

his may certainly have something to do with her writing the finale, but my first thought when I saw it was with the new C/O sneak reelased today she's getting more tweets about them and what she is doing to them, plus probably an influx of M/L after last nights little piece of information and it probably has more to do with that. Just my opinion.

I think Cristina might be a possibility but I do think a lot depends on the contracts. Given that SR may not have a concrete idea on who stays and who goes, she might want to leave it up in the air that could have an explanation in the SP. It's why Derek is my first guess, given PD's vulnerable position. Also, she tweeted "lead characters". Sure, GA is an ensemble but there is a clear lead (Meredith) and secondary lead characters (Cristina, Alex, & Derek) and the secondary leads and I would hardly categorize Mark or Lexie as leads and doubt people would find Owen being in distress saddening. JMO.

My other guess is Adele dying and putting things on perspective on the general sense.

you'd think he'd be spared!

LOL! I wish Shonda could spare MD as casualties of anything but given her track record, one can only hope.

cappy84

cappy84

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 12:47 AM

I think Cristina might be a possibility but I do think a lot depends on the contracts. Given that SR may not have a concrete idea on who stays and who goes, she might want to leave it up in the air that could have an explanation in the SP. It's why Derek is my first guess, given PD's vulnerable position. Also, she tweeted "lead characters". Sure, GA is an ensemble but there is a clear lead (Meredith) and secondary lead characters (Cristina, Alex, & Derek) and the secondary leads and I would hardly categorize Mark or Lexie as leads and doubt people would find Owen being in distress saddening. JMO.

I just want to clarify what I said, becuase I'm a compulsive freak and need to and what I meant originally I guess wasn't expressed correctly. When I saw Shonda's quote it to me has NOTHING to do with contracts or who is leaving, staying, who might be in peril in the finale. To me it was her way of kind of addressing the C/O fans, I assume who are continually tweeting her about why they are in this story, why these things are happening to them, and this is Shonda's response to those questions. It's her saying you get to really see Cristina and Owen and if they can get through this crap, there is a point to the pain. Now it may have something to do with her own writing of the finale, but I do not think that, but that's just my opinion.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 12, 2012 @ 1:11 AM

To me it was her way of kind of addressing the C/O fans, I assume who are continually tweeting her about why they are in this story, why these things are happening to them, and this is Shonda's response to those questions

That may be true and even be the actual answer for it. I just see the timing of it (as she is writing the finale) and her previous tweets about it being dark & twisty be more addressed to the pending finale. When addressing C/O, she has been very specific to them, actually mentioning them about what's happening is painful and what not. My observation is made based on the timing of the tweet. Again, JMO.

Red Soled Shoes

Red Soled Shoes

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 9:55 AM

I thought this was a really interesting exchange on Twitter and I was shocked to read Shonda's tweet

Damon Lindelof ‏ @DamonLindelof The weather in L.A. this week has been as consistent as the third season of LOST.
Bill Lawrence ‏ @VDOOZER @DamonLindelof Many, many episodes of SCRUBS sucked balls, Spin City was up and down, and Cougar Town's first six eps made me sad. #withyou
shonda rhimes ‏ @shondarhimes @VDOOZER @DamonLindelof The whole fourth and fifth seasons of GA made me want to hide in a dark cave and maybe change my name. #withyou
Damon Lindelof ‏ @DamonLindelof @shondarhimes @VDOOZER You can change your name to Rhonda Shimes! NO ONE WILL KNOW!!!!

https://twitter.com/#!/shondarhimes/status/195624984322904064

I found that so interesting because i don't remember Shonda ever being so openly critical and dare I say self aware about how much the show sucked back then. However, I also thought the latter half of Season 3 was pretty horrific, and beyond ghost sex, I mostly loved Season 5. Go figure.

lovlylizzy

lovlylizzy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:07 PM

4th season did not suck that much. But ghost sex ruined the 5th season which would have been much better without ghost sex and sour African bread talk. I feel Shonda's pain and actually am happy to see she is aware of her missteps. Sort of makes her more relatable, I've wanted to hide in a cave too, but it must be harder as a show runner.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 12:50 PM

Ironically, the 4th & 5th seasons, at least for me, were my favorite (along with S2), with some story exceptions (ghost sex and the idiotic S&M/Rose) but in the greater sense, I really enjoyed them. Hell, S4 is what made me come back to GA after the disastrous second half of S3.

It really puts things in perspective though, of what she considers "hiding in a cave" stories.

I feel Shonda's pain and actually am happy to see she is aware of her missteps.

I don't think she is. If you ask around, most people were content with S5. MerDer got engaged and married (and even Derek got a storyline!), CO got together, Calzona & Slexie happened. In the broader sense, S5 was not a misstep but a general success, especially within fans. It kind of makes me wonder if she thought S7 was a success or a not hiding in a cave type misstep. I have a hard time finding good critics, who was, IMO, an utter failure. Especially with the musical.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:00 PM

I hated season 4 but with the exception of Dead Denny I liked season 5.

If you ask around, most people were content with S5.

From the tweets I didn't get the impression they were talking about what fans liked or were content with but instead what they as writers thought they could have done better/weren't happy with.

Sort of makes her more relatable, I've wanted to hide in a cave too, but it must be harder as a show runner.

ITA, much harder when you're being judged by millions.

Deanie87

Deanie87

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:15 PM

Season 5 was the last season that I actually enjoyed, but it is also the one that made me gnash me teeth the most. But the Dead Denny storyline was widely mocked publicly all over the place (and Shonda herself admitted that that was all her idea to the point where she didn't even let the writers in on the whole picture.) There was also the Hahn firing, TR's virtual banishment and the gossip surronding that, and the episode where Alex literally did a poop transplant that was shown on Talk Soup and made fun of there. I don't blame her for wanting to hide in a cave, and I kind of wish that she had during the course of that season.

PortlandGirl

PortlandGirl

Fanatic

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:38 PM

I actually wonder if this was related to some of the drama around Katherine Heigl and TR Knight. Both of them were reportedly very very unhappy and it sounds like they made the set a less nice place to be. The Ghost Sex storyline was truly awful and probably the dumbest thing Shonda has done, but I agree that aside from that, I actually liked s4 (the last 5 episodes anyway) and s5 a fair amount. I think s6 was pretty forgettable. Nothing terrible, but just generally boring. S7 kinda the same.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 1:59 PM

From the tweets I didn't get the impression they were talking about what fans liked or were content with but instead what they as writers thought they could have done better/weren't happy with.

Perhaps I misread it wrong, but I couldn't help but to recall an interview with NY Magazine last May, where she wasn't fond of fans opinions and "giving in" to certain stories. I will have to revisit that interview to see what she said exactly (so don't take my word on it, heh) but if her intent was about what she did wrong as a writer and what she could've done better, then I guess I will give her credit for admitting mistakes, which is incredibly rare on her to admit publicly. (At least on Twitter).

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Apr 28, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

Perhaps I misread it wrong, but I couldn't help but to recall an interview with NY Magazine last May, where she wasn't fond of fans opinions and "giving in" to certain stories.

None of that was mentioned in the Twitter conversation though. I disagree with the notion that any thing said ever in the past is part of every conversation. The interview asked specific questions and she answered those in context (as did the others interviewed). This was a few people chatting on twitter. The context is different and there were no questions about fan reaction as part of it.

JMO

stella1

stella1

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 5, 2012 @ 3:45 PM

Shonda tweeted they have some GREAT stuff planned for Greys. Who can translate what great stuff in Shondaland means? I can only come up with dark, twisted and sad storylines to the maximum.I do have high expectations for the premiere, but I am worried to be hugely disappointed.

Back at the beginning of the second half of Season 8 she tweeted that what is coming for CO will be beautiful, adult and painful.It was indeed painful but the complete opposite of beautiful and adult.Acting was beautiful but not the storyline.

It is interesting SR didn´t find the first half of Season 8 painful for CO, especially for Owen. Cristina aborted his child and totally disrespected and mocked him as her husband and the Chief of surgery. Both of them can be filed under a very exact meaning of the word painful.

She also tweeted at that time that it would bring extraordinary growth for both characters which should happen before the finale. This extraordinary growth was probably for Cristina to tell Meredith Owen is her person which is highly questionable. The extraordinary growth for Owen was probably him saying that he is happy(823), the underlying meaning/reference being happy with Cristina and never having any children with her which is just his personal tragedy, not a growth, to love a woman who does not want to have children with you and be happy about it - how can it ever be a growth? It is resignment, giving in, sacrifice.
Can we really talk about extraordinary growth here for both characters?

Oh, and now I remember she also said it will be GREAT for both characters because it will bring this extraordinary growth. ???? I guess I can go back to the beginning of my post.

Edited by stella1, Jul 5, 2012 @ 4:20 PM.

DaisyJane422

DaisyJane422

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 7:53 AM

beautiful, adult and painful

Shonda says that about every single one of her stories; instead they're ridiculous, redundant, and dull. Adult, really? Shonda doesn't know the meaning of the word, her beloved MerCris is incredibly childish and she puts as much focus on them as she can.

stella1

stella1

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 2:45 PM

I agree with you.

On another note:
PP writers tweeted which must also apply to Greys with no doubt it is all one big Shondaland.

The cast members meet individually with the exec producers before production starts to discuss each character's season arc.

I do find it hard to believe this ever happened with Sandra and Kevin last season, especially with Kevin. JMHO I remember he said back in late February just before filming 819 /with the flashbacks of Owen´s ONS/ that they were going to plunge Owen into a controversial storyline and what Owen does will be big /the cheating/. He can´t have known this at the beginning of the season.

If it happened, what did the exec producers actually tell them? Something like "Be prepared your arc is the total dissolution of the marriage?" I can´t imagine what else they might have told them. But the cheating truly came out of nowhere between 815 and 816 there literally is a huge gap in storytelling. I felt like I missed a few episodes, we see them in therapy for one day then we see Cristina following the nurse in the hospital corridors and Owen all of a sudden acting strangely.Only in 819 we found out they quit the therapy????

The writers´ aim was clearly to pull CO completely apart slowly episode by episode and they were successful.JMHO

Even Shonda quickly changed her words after saying she believes in CO that she wants to keep CO together but it does not mean they will stay together. One can´t understand the logic of it. Either separate them, divorce them, let the characters move on or bring them finally together which should have happened at the end of last Season to see the arc the dissolution of the marriage but with some hope for rebuilding. With Cristina saying she is leaving totally convinced I don´t see a way how they can rebuild their marriage.

Edited by stella1, Jul 6, 2012 @ 3:22 PM.

nodepth

nodepth

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 3:24 PM

The writers´ aim was to pull CO completely apart slowly episode by episode.JMHO

I don't see why I shouldn't agree with this speculation. If I put this together with Shonda saying multiple times that this is her angsty couple and that we don't do sweet and happy ever after except when it comes to A/C and M/D (eye roll), then one can only conclude that Cristina is to leave this show either dead, or with her scalpel. Yes, A/C and M/D can be considered sweet and happily ever after in Shondaland since they DO get to stay together, living together and struggling/fighting etc. but still together, under the same fucking roof. The other two fanbases get this but C/O fans don't.

I know what I'm looking for when I think of happily ever after on THIS show and it's not contrived angst with her splitting Cristina up with her significant other so she can go sleep over at the fucking Shepard house. I don't think that's how you spell Shepard but subconsciously I never really care to spell it correctly that's how much I don't care about this part of the show. I see is spelt correctly all over this board and everywhere else but...continue to fuck it up.

I posted a while ago that you'd never see C/O sharing a home together again, and I don't think I'm wrong. She'll stop by like she did and lay on his chest, they'll run into each other, one or the other stopping by to pick something up, etc... but they'll never be a family. Note, when I say family that does not have to include children. But when it comes to these characters, she'll never say that Cristina and Owen will be together and that she won't ever split them up. She only said that for M/D and you know damn well she's not splitting up C/A, please.

Anyway, she and/or the network's new puppies are the characters of April and Jackson and their great new and fresh love story. I'm sure that's just what she means when she tweets about all the great stuff she and her Cristina hating soldiers have planned. I am sure these two and their big love are at the top of the list. I gurantee, whatever angst this new couple goes through Shonda won't be looking to push them to the edges that they've pushed Cristina's relationships only to see them break up in the end.

Edited by nodepth, Jul 6, 2012 @ 3:37 PM.

trstone

trstone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 6, 2012 @ 3:59 PM

I would say that Shonda has written C/O into a corner. I can't see changing Cristina into a character who does want a kid. The writers and SO have done a convincing job of creating a character who doesn't want a kid. She hasn't really struggled with it except in that it has been the undoing of her marriage. I actually agree with SO who said season 8 was incredibly rewarding for her as an actress. She (and KMK too) was given, by far, the best material of any actor on the show last season. I liked watching C/O and can't even predict what Shonda does with them now.

As much as I love C/A, they have become boring on the show. Mer/Der always bored me so nothing has changed there. Maybe the angst of dealing with Arizona's and Derek's injuries will give these two couples some meaningful material next season. I'd say as far as angst equals good material for actors and good storylines for viewers, C/O is the couple I most like to watch right now. I can't even say how much I don't give a damn about Jackson/April.

stella1

stella1

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 7, 2012 @ 1:10 AM

I would say that Shonda has written C/O into a corner. I can't see changing Cristina into a character who does want a kid. The writers and SO have done a convincing job of creating a character who doesn't want a kid. She hasn't really struggled with it except in that it has been the undoing of her marriage.

My problem with this storyline is that we already knew Cristina doesn´t want a kid from Season 1. There was no need for an abortion in Season 8 to prove it. It was an artificial device, a set-up for their marriage to fail, a very effective and calculated move from the writers. I read an interview back at the beginning of the season with Shonda Rhimes and Betsy Beers and Betsy Beers said “There have always been ongoing things between Cristina and Owen, clearly this is another one. But this is one more thing that’s contributing to can Cristina and Owen keep it going.” Their aim was clear. In the second half of the season instead of trying to solve their issues by talking about the abortion the writers added another thing that´s contributing to can CO keep it going.

Shonda Rhimes can say their journey continues which means they are still married,however, not living together. She keeps them married but that is all,on paper they are married. In reality their marriage is ruined. She has always played with words.

Edited by stella1, Jul 7, 2012 @ 1:44 AM.

HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 6:14 PM

Shonda's tweet about season 9

In the room, I'm calling GA Season 9, "The Season of Romance."

And by romance I think she means death and destruction.

AnitaMC86

AnitaMC86

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 17, 2012 @ 10:35 PM

And by romance I think she means death and destruction.

Break ups, divorces, heart break, blah blah blah. Same old same old.

Unless she means MerCris, which in that case...guess it's true?

stella1

stella1

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 9:14 AM

I dread this season more than the previous one especially regarding CO. The season of romance for CO for example, is seriously a much needed element in their story but I am afraid it will all go wrong. I do not expect Shonda being able to write a romantic storyline for CO after the complete assassination of them as a couple in Season 8.

Edited by stella1, Jul 18, 2012 @ 9:27 AM.

RysenSun

RysenSun

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 11:54 AM

IMO,by romance she means Mer & Cris. They are her true loves. Maybe Callie and Arizona. It real be anything except what I want to see. That's always a given with Shonda. JMO

whainott

whainott

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 1:40 PM

I think that this season will be April's Anatomy. I have a feeling we're in for another dragged out, boring triangle involving April, Jackson and the new guy.

Have At It

Have At It

Video Archivist

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 2:21 PM

I hope Cristina and Owen date other people this season. Maybe the other older doctor they cast will be someone for Owen to play with for a while.

Edited by Have At It, Jul 18, 2012 @ 2:21 PM.

trstone

trstone

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jul 18, 2012 @ 7:03 PM

My first thought is April and Jackson are going to be a focus. And I think Shonda may do something with Richard and Catherine. I'm hoping that Cristina or Owen actually do end up dating other people but spend part of the season wishing they were still together and maybe finding a way back together. As long as it never involves Cristina capitulating on the baby thing, I'm willing to see where the writers take it.

Callie and Arizona will likely get a storyline or two since (1) they had nothing at all last season and (2) Arizona is pretty banged up from the crash and there will probably be some attention paid to her recovery. I might even like the Ben/Bailey thing now that it is long distance...I wish I cared what happened to Mer/Der but, I don't. Mer/Cris has always been more important for me.....

taanja

taanja

Couch Potato

Posted Jul 23, 2012 @ 2:34 PM

...I wish I cared what happened to Mer/Der but, I don't. Mer/Cris has always been more important for me.....

***raises hand*** me too!!!!!!!

Plus I beleieve Shinda Rhimes when she says those two are the soulmates. That is why I am never disapointed with my girls. I listened to the creator---she says a lot of bullshit stuff but in this one thing she has always been consistant. And over all the years and all the crap thrown at me the Mer/Cris love story always shines the brightest.

WindSprints

WindSprints

Stalker

Posted Sep 7, 2012 @ 3:42 PM

Shonda Rhimes, 'Grey's Anatomy' Scribe Developing FBI Drama for NBC (Exclusive)