Fan Fiction: The Final Freaky Frontier of Frightening Fandom

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

2404 replies to this topic

fishvb24

fishvb24

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 8, 2004 @ 2:11 AM

The final voting for the 2003 Jeds has begun. Voting ends on January 17 and there are a lot of stories to read. I can't wait to get started, but I'll have to wait until the weekend to have any time. Happy reading everyone!!

edited because I have been trying to join the TWWStateoftheUnion mailing list on Yahoo and It won't let me. It just keeps saying membership pending. Anyone know how I can get on this mailing list?

Edited by fishvb24, Jan 15, 2004 @ 4:01 PM.

seaside

seaside

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 15, 2004 @ 10:40 PM

Does anyone know where to find a fanfic from Josh's POV that took place between 18&P and 2C? Sam finds Josh standing in the grocery store. The story moves between present and past.

vickyc007

vickyc007

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 17, 2004 @ 3:56 PM

Final day of voting for the Jeds

fishvb24

fishvb24

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 3:32 PM

The winners for the 2003 Jeds are in. Congratulations to Nomad, who was voted best author and her stories won or placed in several other catergories as well. It is richly deserved!!

jmhardin

jmhardin

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 3:44 PM

Woo hoo! Congrats, Nomad!

Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Fanatic

Posted Jan 20, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

Congrats to Nomad! It is tough competing with the likes of her. My partner and I were lucky to place and show in a few categories with our little story.

Now, off to the challenge of doing a Jed/Abbey story involving hot sex, peanut butter and Marmite. (I'm assuming Jed developed a taste for Marmite while at LSE.)

fishvb24

fishvb24

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 29, 2004 @ 6:58 PM

bump for Caps780

Start from the beginning and read through this thread. There are a lot of good recommendations. Enjoy

ETA: I was wondering if anyone has read the The Privledges and Problems of Planning Series by Christina. If so, is it good? Is it completed? I read The Family Tree also by Christina and it was good, but not completed. Does anyone know if there is an end to that story, and if so, where can I find it?

Edited by fishvb24, Jan 29, 2004 @ 10:48 PM.

Caps780

Caps780

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 5:25 PM

Thanks for the bump, fishvb24! Off to my first fanfic excursion ;-)

malzie

malzie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 8:24 PM

I read The Privledges and Problems of Planning Series. It's nicely done; includes a healthy dose of J/D fluff. I enjoyed reading the series a lot. In fact, I went back and read the series again. I hope this helps :)

fishvb24

fishvb24

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 3, 2004 @ 9:23 PM

Thanks, malzie. I just wanted someone elses opinoin before I went on to read this series. I didn't want to waste time if it wasn't worth it because it is pretty lengthy.

Caps780, good luck. I never thought that I would get into fan fic, but once I started I just couldn't stop. I have read tons, so if you need any more recs, just ask. I am mainly a J/D shipper, but I also like a good ensemble piece. I have read some Cj/T and S/A pieces as well. Happy reading.

Momerath

Momerath

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 2:14 PM

I was wondering if I could ask you experts for a favour. I used to write fanfic for WW a few years back, and recently I got an email from a new site that's been set up to say they've archived a story of mine. Like a muppet I thought, 'oh, I'll look at that later', and of course the email's gone now. I've looked on Google and there's a couple of million WW archives, so I was hoping one of you might know a new one that's just been set up? I haven't read any of my stories for about three years and it would be cool to find one. Cheers.

Caps780

Caps780

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 6:46 PM

fishvb24 - I never thought I would be into fanfic either. Though I have only read a few pieces, I want to thank all the authors for sharing their beautiful creations. I feel truly honored to have read such wonderful, heartfelt work from such talented writers. Years ago, I use to write (not fanfic, sorry), but I no longer find the time. Please keep writing and sharing with others. I wish you all the best!

carrielynn

carrielynn

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 7:40 PM

I've finally succumbed and written a TWW piece. Always said I wouldn't, and now I have. No going back now. :)
Awareness

It's Donna introspection with a bit of J/D. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!

fishvb24

fishvb24

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 4, 2004 @ 8:55 PM

Okay, I just finished reading The Privledges and Problems of Planning Series by Christina. It is then followed by the Family Tree series. I read that series too, but it doesn't seem to be finished. It has four parts to it and then it sbrubtly stops and there is a lot more story to tell.

Does anyone know if Christina's stories are archived anywhere else besides The National Library? I really hope there is more parts to this story, because I loved it. Can anyone help??

alexj

alexj

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 10, 2004 @ 4:48 AM

The National Library - the best and most comprehensive west wing fan fiction archive has a 2 year birthday today. They have over 2000 stories separated into various categories and some pretty awesome extras, like direct links to authors, beta lists and other stuff. It’s the coolest!

Fiordiligi

Fiordiligi

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 5:30 AM

I'm a bit embarrassed by this (but I shouldn't be, right, because I am among friends/fellow obsessives) - having duly read the 2 script books I now need to feed my obsession so I am looking for advice on where to start. I am a Sam fan so Sam/Ainsley or Sam/Mallory would be wonderful! God, I feel like I'm at my first AA meeting or something.

Anyone got any good suggestions please?

USCJCF

USCJCF

Fanatic

Posted Feb 23, 2004 @ 6:37 PM

"My name is USCJCF and I..."

Yeah. Fiordiligi, a good place to start is always The Jeds. They're the most respected West Wing fanfic awards, and they keep a list of all the winners for the past I think three years. And it's all categorized and everything.

Nomad writes terrific gen-fic and Marguerite's work is excellent (her novel, The Rarest Faith, is pretty Sam-based). Jo and Ryo are also very good.

Hopefully someone who's more of a Sam fan will have some better answers for you.

Edited by USCJCF, Feb 23, 2004 @ 6:39 PM.

fishvb24

fishvb24

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 1:46 AM

Fiordiligi, you should try The National Library. They have stories about Sam and Ainsley and Sam and Mallory.

I really want to get this topic a little more active. How about everyone name their favorite fan fiction pieces? If people really want ot get into it, they can name their favorite series, standalones, story about specific couples, and other catergories. It can be like our own version of The Jeds. Just an idea. It will take me awhile to think of a comprehensive list, so if anyone takes the bait, I will post again later.

carrielynn

carrielynn

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 3:15 AM

I'll go!

Favorite Series/WIPs
Further To Fly by Nomad
So It Goes/As Long As There Are Stars by Nomad
The Rarest Faith by Marguerite
An Innocent Kiss/A Winning Strategy/The Mollyverse by Jo and Ryo
Exit Strategy by Jo and Ryo
The Quest/Heaven and Hell by Enigmatic Ellie
Analecta by NY Smith

Favorite shorter fics
Anything by Jo and Ryo, but particularly Background
Anything by Marguerite, but particularly Giselle

Gordon Shumway

Gordon Shumway

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 3:23 AM

My name is Gordon Shumway and I read Jed/Abbey and Jed/Donna fanfic. It has been about 20 minutes since I read my last story.

Most of my favorite Jed/Abbey stories can be found here. I got hooked by reading stories by Ginny.

Many people go "ew!" to the Jed/Donna pairing, but these stories really fill a need for some of us who would like to have a shot a Jed, once Abbey is no longer in the picture. Most of us just want to look into those blue eyes and give comfort to Jed. (I have actually hugged Martin Sheen, so it is easy to use these stories to expand on actual personal experience.)

Edited to add: I wanted to put the link to the list of my favorite Jed/Donna stories by mahc now that FanFiction.net is back up. If you read all of her stories, you will not be disappointed.

Edited by Gordon Shumway, Feb 24, 2004 @ 12:39 PM.

Fiordiligi

Fiordiligi

Fanatic

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 3:46 AM

Thanks everyone for the responses! I eagerly await an opportunity to look at all these recommendations (when no-one is looking!!)

sgittinger

sgittinger

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 5:59 AM

My faves?

"Under Seige"
"This Can't Be The End"
"The Experiment" (dude. Regency--you have me hooked)
"Rebound"
"The Other Half of My Soul"
There's also one called "50 Hours with Zoey Bartlet" that is WONDERFUL. I just don't remember where it is.

Edited by sgittinger, Feb 24, 2004 @ 7:55 AM.

TamLin37

TamLin37

Just Tuned In

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 10:30 AM

There's also one called "50 Hours with Zoey Bartlet" that is WONDERFUL. I just don't remember where it is.

Are you thinking of Fell Clutch by Ryo? That one's described as "50 hours with Zoey Bartlet", though it's not the title.

carrielynn already hit my highlights, but I'll come back later if I think of other favorites.

malzie

malzie

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 4:00 PM

Here's a quick list of some of my favs;some were already listed. Most of these stories are mainly J/D stories

"The Joshua Monologues",The Rising", and "Hurricane by Spitz the Cat
"Snowbowl" by Bondi Gargoyle
"Musing of the Misdirected" by Ginny
"Always" by Cindy Brewer
"Bedford Falls" by Dee
"Clandestine Hearts" by shannie328
"City of Lights" and "My Uncle in NY" by CeliaAlice
Anything written by Marguerite and Jo and Ryo

sgittinger

sgittinger

Stalker

Posted Feb 24, 2004 @ 4:45 PM

That's it, Tamlin! I LOVE LOVE LOVE that one...

regency

regency

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 25, 2004 @ 10:43 PM

Thanks sgittinger Did ya read the latest chapter? There's already another, more painful chapter in the works. Okay, less of the painful.

sgittinger

sgittinger

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 6:15 AM

Lemme think, Regency. The last chapter I read was the one where she falls asleep with the baby on her lap. Awwwww. (My question--the part where Abbey leans over to ask if the baby is hers, you'd think Abbey would have looked at her daughter often enough to have noticed if she were pregnant. Hee!)

Fiordiligi

Fiordiligi

Fanatic

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 10:40 AM

Well, that's it. Thanks to your recommendations I am now even more obsessed and have been reading the Sam/Ainsley and Sam/Mallory stuff at every available moment. Seriously, so much of it is really well written. I am impressed! What I am going to do when I have read it all I don't know - oh, wait, I could write some couldn't I?

grass hopper

grass hopper

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 5:32 PM

Seriously, Fiordiligi I don't think you can ever "read it all". Every time I go on a fanfic spree I have to drag myself away from the computer after a few hours - or I'll never be able to stop reading. I don't want to read one story, I want to read ten!

"My name is grass hopper and I read fanfiction..."

sgittinger

sgittinger

Stalker

Posted Feb 26, 2004 @ 6:19 PM

Dudes. How could I have forgotten Nomad's Nightmare Scenario?? I was a mess by the end of it-I was like "oh. my. God". ETA: Hey, Regency? Where did you find that lullaby that Zoey was singing to the baby in your latest chapter? Just curious.

Edited by sgittinger, Feb 26, 2004 @ 7:35 PM.