S18: Taj

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

367 replies to this topic

Basch

Basch

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2009 @ 4:25 AM

Hi. My real name's Tamara. I'm a Grammy-nominee, a writer, and I've survived many odds. And I don't care that much about winning.

She could entertain me, but I lay the odds on her annoying me and making me want her gone relatively early. Still, I applaud her accomplishments.

Edited by Basch, Jan 19, 2009 @ 10:17 PM.

keram

keram

Fanatic

Posted Jan 17, 2009 @ 8:58 PM

Here is some more information about her singing group, Sisters With Voices.

hegellite

hegellite

Fanatic

Posted Jan 18, 2009 @ 7:52 PM

I don't like people on the show who don't want to win. I think I've had my fill of Natalies and Eriks, Kathys and Chets, thank you very much.

Avia

Avia

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 19, 2009 @ 1:29 PM

I got the impression that she does want to win; she just wants to win for her charity. I can get behind that.

absolutqt

absolutqt

Fanatic

Posted Jan 19, 2009 @ 3:46 PM

Wow! I remember when SWV was still on the charts. Now, she's on Survivor? I never liked the group so I think I may root for her early exit.

TWoP Pembleton

TWoP Pembleton

Stalker

• Interests:Also known as Kim, one of your friendly recappers

Posted Jan 20, 2009 @ 8:59 PM

I have the song "Weak" on my Ipod. Still love that song.

IzzyBoy

IzzyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 12:43 PM

She's also married to Eddie George, former Heisman trophy winner in college and a pretty good running back in the NFL before he retired. I wonder if she'll pull a Hogeboom and try to hide her identity only to ridiculously have someone that was a huge SWV fan or followed the Tennessee Titans or something blow her cover.

I got the impression that she does want to win; she just wants to win for her charity. I can get behind that.

Doesn't surprise me, her husband made boatloads of money in the NFL (in addition to money she made from SWV) and wasn't one of those idiots that would spend it all on hookers and blow so I bet they're fairly well off now.

Edited by IzzyBoy, Jan 21, 2009 @ 12:45 PM.

EggMan

EggMan

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 3:46 PM

I predict a "doesn't do anything around camp" edit resulting in a fairly early boot.

IzzyBoy

IzzyBoy

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 4:52 PM

Yeah, like Survivor would edit a black woman like that.

Wait...

Edited by IzzyBoy, Jan 21, 2009 @ 4:52 PM.

Tasya

Tasya

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 6:41 PM

I also still have Weak on my mp3 player, I used to love them. I think that she'll likely go early just because people won't want to give her a chance at the cash.

janie jones

janie jones

Stalker

Posted Jan 22, 2009 @ 4:40 PM

I had no idea SWV were still together until I saw her video. I think I like her.

RomanticRights

RomanticRights

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2009 @ 2:53 PM

It's interesting that, despite her success as SWV and being married to a Heisman Trophy recipient, she isn't the wealthiest person on the season (Branden is).

Still, it's nice to see someone who actually worked for her money, unlike Ace.

Mike Paz

Mike Paz

Loyal Viewer

• Interests:I used to be a blogger/web writer for TV Squad...then I got downsized. The next week AOL bought Huffington Post... coincidence?<br /><br />But I like everything really, Reality Television, Disney, Video Games.

Posted Feb 7, 2009 @ 2:18 PM

I hope this means there's gonna be an SWV reunion at one point. I just recently got to listen to Coko's Christmas album and they rehashed some old SWV Christmas tunes on it.

I have automatic pre-like for her because of the SWV connection.

keram

keram

Fanatic

Posted Feb 7, 2009 @ 4:01 PM

Here is her pre-show interview.

From that interview:

As you can see, she’s very competitive, and said that she and her husband “compete over everything. We race to the bathroom.”

I guess that will really help her if they base an immunity challenge around running for the "Potty Tree".

prmami

prmami

Fanatic

Posted Feb 8, 2009 @ 10:57 PM

A friend of mine just told me Taj from SWV is going to be on the new Survivor. I caught her and hubby's little reality show they had on TVOne and thought they were likeable, so I may tune in for this season.

Levi Rinno

Levi Rinno

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 9, 2009 @ 12:05 AM

I kind of like Taj, but I worry about her longevity in the game since she doesn't care that much about winning.

girlnuyorican

girlnuyorican

Fanatic

Posted Feb 11, 2009 @ 5:03 PM

SWV..the original hip hop soul songtresses. Without SWV, there is no Mary J Blige, they were at the forefront of the hip hop soul movement that currently dominates today's R&B. Loved this group and I really like Taj. I hope she does well. Looking at the lineup, I'm not sure that many on the island would recognize who she is or recognize her musical legacy. But the group SWV has worked with and been praised by some of the best (Patti, Stevie, Diana, the list goes on).

acee01b

acee01b

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 4:52 PM

I'm so into you, Taj! Coko had a more distinctive voice, but all three girls (Hey, Leelee!) could sing. Unlike the mess that is Pussycat Dolls, etc. SWV had a harder edge than EnVogue in the day. I would like her to do well.

Larkin411

Larkin411

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 6:59 PM

I wonder if she'll pull a Hogeboom and try to hide her identity only to ridiculously have someone that was a huge SWV fan or followed the Tennessee Titans or something blow her cover.

...Or a crazed Buckeye fan. One of the other contestants is from Ohio, where Eddie George has god-like status, so I could see her getting recognized quickly.

girlnuyorican

girlnuyorican

Fanatic

Posted Feb 12, 2009 @ 11:24 PM

SWV was urban youth music in the 90s. They worked with everybody & were huge. I liked Taj this episode, she tried to school Carolina real quick but it was too late.

Edited by girlnuyorican, Feb 12, 2009 @ 11:25 PM.

Levi Rinno

Levi Rinno

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:10 AM

I think she knew Carolina was toast, anyway, what with Spencer and Sydney going to bat for Sandy, and Joe, J.T., and Stephen seeming willing enough to spare her.

I like Taj a lot so far. She looks like a hybrid of Cirie and Cassandra, and even sounds a bit like the former.

IvyDarling

IvyDarling

Stalker

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 2:18 AM

SWV..the original hip hop soul songtresses. Without SWV, there is no Mary J Blige, they were at the forefront of the hip hop soul movement that currently dominates today's R&B.

SWV and MJB came onto the scene at the same time; they didn't pave the way for MJB.

Glad she made it through to compete another day.

girlnuyorican

girlnuyorican

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 8:35 AM

They each officially released singles in 92 but SWV was "out" in the underground before MJB. Puff has specifically said he mimicked their direction and what Teddy Riley was doing with them for what he did with Mary.

I'm glad Taj made it through too.

Meedis

Meedis

Fanatic

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 10:23 AM

I haven't watched Survivor since Earl's Season. Looks like Taj may be bringing me back to the show, just to see how far she goes.

Twilight Man

Twilight Man

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 12:58 PM

So now that we've had at least two quasi-celebrites on this show (remember the guy who was on that sci-fi show "Black Scorpion"), I have to ask:

Is it worse that your career was so great and is now so worthless that everyone knows who you are, yet you can only get on TV (and entertainment shows) by doing "celebreality" shows or "celebrity" editions of some shows, or..........

is it worse that your career was so meh, that you can actually appear on regular seasons of reality shows, and you have to "introduce" yourself to everyone?

Samack

Samack

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 12:59 PM

I liked Taj this episode, she tried to school Carolina real quick but it was too late

I liked that too. I mean, I don't think it was good play; Taj would've been best letting Carolina isolate herself since Taj is one of the more dispensible players but it speaks well of her as a person.

Edited by Samack, Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:01 PM.

LutherMahoney

LutherMahoney

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:16 PM

I wouldn't call her career (or her husband's) "meh". I wouldn't be able to recognize her but I have heard of SWV. Celebrities can be fans of reality shows, too. There's one on TAR this season also. She's not exactly Beyonce but IMO that works to her advantage because I think if people know who she is they're not going to feel bad about voting her off since they'll figure she doesn't need the money.

I also liked her approach with Carolina. It didn't come off as aggressive or as a warning. Even Carolina took it as just an FYI.

Manderlay

Manderlay

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 13, 2009 @ 1:58 PM

Samack, I'm curious why you think she's one of the more dispensible players out there?

Samack

Samack

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 16, 2009 @ 6:34 AM

When I said 'dispensible' I would have been more exact saying 'likely to be seen as dispensible'. 'Cause she's an slightly out of shape, older woman. Which, traditionally and for some reason, makes a player dispensible during the early rounds.

RomanticRights

RomanticRights

Fanatic

Posted Feb 16, 2009 @ 9:52 AM

I don't think Taj is here to resurrect her career (Or SWV's, for that matter). I think she's happily married and, as she has stated, is doing it for charity.

People like Sydney and Carolina are the ones who want the exposure.