Jack Bass: Say Uncle!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

41 replies to this topic

Eaterlover

Eaterlover

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2011 @ 12:23 PM

I had forgotten what Jack Bass was like (it has been a year ago) but I rewatched the IP episodes and man do I love me some Jack Bass. He's just so pitch perfect evil and slimy. It's an interesting theory that Jack is a Tyler Durden, but I think it's more likely that Jack is simply what brings out the worst in Chuck. Jack inspires a weird sort of no-holds barred sibling (I know Uncle...but Jack is so young) rivalry within Chuck. And Chuck, being the little kid that he is, doesn't see how easily he plays into his Uncle's hands. From that episode, its so obvious that Jack sees what Chuck's weakness is (i.e. Chuck will do anything to take his legacy back from Jack) and he goads him into cutting his own nose to spite his face.

CaitieUGA

CaitieUGA

Fanatic

• Interests:Gossip Girl, Veronica Mars, Young and the Restless, Ugly Betty, Chuck, The Wire, Big Love, Coupling, The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, The Discovery Channel, Project Runway, and more.

Posted Mar 27, 2011 @ 2:48 PM

I feel like this title should be changed immediately to Jack Bass: Oh, Brother.

Because seriously. He must be.

I think it's more likely that Jack is simply what brings out the worst in Chuck.

I think Jack was totally conceived to be the worst things about Chuck, culminating in Jack attempting to rape Lily in S2, a lot like how Chuck attempted to rape (or kissing banditizie, if you're Stephanie Savage) Jenny in the pilot. It's like Chuck will finally have to face down his worst self and ~defeat him before the series end.

BlackSheep

BlackSheep

Video Archivist

Posted Mar 27, 2011 @ 4:15 PM

My favorite Jack Bass scene by far is the one where he apologizes to Rufus and Lily for the almost-rape at the Opera. The underlying incident was NOT funny -- at all -- but Desmond Harrington's delivery when he told them all the shit he was hopped up on was so perfectly deadpan, I actually laughed out loud.

I'm really looking forward to his return. Even though I'm horribly tired of watching Chuck arcs -- or even individual scenes -- I can handle watching him interact with Jack, because that's always entertaining. God willing, he'll get smacked around a little bit before Jack makes his exit again. He desperately needs it.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 27, 2011 @ 7:07 PM

You know, Desmond Harrington does with ease what Ed Westwick has failed to do for the past couple of seasons: he makes a complete slimebag unnervingly charming and attractive. Seriously, I don't know whether it's the drawling accent or the devilish grin. It's totally down the actor, though - I love him on Dexter for the same reasons, even though he plays a douchey character there as well.

ETA: Also the fact that I can actually enjoy him as a character and villain, despite how awful he actually is, is because the show doesn't woobify him or try to make me believe that he needs the healing touch of lurve. I mean, he's not a main character like Chuck, but still. He's hella entertaining.

Edited by purplebubbles, Mar 27, 2011 @ 7:10 PM.

Moon River

Moon River

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 27, 2011 @ 7:11 PM

I agree, Desmond is deliciously evil as Jack. One of my favorite (kinda heartbreaking for me at the time) was when he told Chuck "Blair has seen the real you, she could never love that, no one could" and then another kick to the groin "I hope the hotel is all you ever wanted, b/c its all you got"

I kind of love that he shoved that in his face at the time, b/c I wanted Chuck to wake up to what he had done.

Edited by Moon River, Mar 27, 2011 @ 7:11 PM.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted May 9, 2011 @ 11:14 AM

Gotta say, as bitter as I am about the show lately, I'm excited for this character's return tonight. I know it's terrible but I giggled when he said in the promo "All [Chuck] needs is a little push." Any character that ruins Chuck's life a little is OK in my book.

Tara1189

Tara1189

Video Archivist

Posted May 10, 2011 @ 1:51 AM

Uncle Jack is basically Season 1 Chuck: a totally charming, despicable sleaze, who knows what he is and relishes it. Chuck was so enjoyable when he wasn't a romantic (read: abusive) hero - he used to show up for the odd scene, leer at the female characters, deliver some hilarious dialogue, and leave.

I know Jack is totally one-dimensional (his sole purpose in life is to fuck with his nephew) yet I can't help but love how Desmond Harrington totally takes that shit and runs with it. There's no talk about 'redemption' or 'because he has rage.' He's allowed to be a total dick and that's fine with me.

God, this show would be so much better if they just made Chuck a villain again.

purplebubbles

purplebubbles

Couch Potato

Posted May 10, 2011 @ 2:29 AM

Well looks like I spoke too soon. Yet another character sacrificed at the altar of St. Chuckles. And the very last one you'd expect it from, JFC.

Gotta say Season 1 Chuck started going downhill from 1x07 onwards - was so grossed out they turned him into a viable romantic option for Blair - but

I know Jack is totally one-dimensional (his sole purpose in life is to fuck with his nephew) yet I can't help but love how Desmond Harrington totally takes that shit and runs with it. There's no talk about 'redemption' or 'because he has rage.' He's allowed to be a total dick and that's fine with me.

Agreed. Desmond is awesome. Maybe Ed could take a few tips from him and learn. I wonder whether his acting would improve if Chuck had to become the villain again. Something tells me he's not too fond of Chuck/Blair.

Raid Maze

Raid Maze

Couch Potato

Posted May 25, 2011 @ 3:37 AM

I am still at a loss over what happened with Jack Bass. Where was the sleaze? Where was the rivalry? Where was the history? Just a "LOL, guess we're cool" blowoff message and joking about his past battles with Chuck.

Did the writing staff devolop amnesia? He freaking traded a hotel for Blair to illustrate what type of man Chuck Bass is. Yet, there's Jack, helping Chuck clean up his problems like he was the next coming of Nate.

I never want to see Jack Bass again. *sigh*

Prinnie

Prinnie

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 26, 2011 @ 10:20 AM

I am interested to see if he will be back in season 5. I actually thought he was very funny helping Chuck. They had a light dynamic however it was a huge WTF considering what Jack did last season. In terms of being surprised it was an OMG but in terms of matching any story that had been told so far it was a huge WTF. I love Jack and I think he has great chemistry with Ed and with Leighton but next time he comes back I need them to give me some explanations behind why he does what he does. I understand it was good for Chuck's growth to have a family member actually help him but it was also odd considering the lengths Jack has gone to in the past to hurt him.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 8:22 PM

A question out of many. Did Jack know all the time that Bart was alive? My guess is "No".

catmax99

catmax99

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:02 PM

Maybe he found out between the IP where he was trying to destroy Chuck, and the whole helping out at the end of S4 that seemed to come out of nowhere. Why finding out would change his actions towards Chuck I can't really say, but they did change pretty dramatically.