Jack Bass: Say Uncle!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.

41 replies to this topic

Blue Bonnet

Blue Bonnet

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:27 PM

Thought this guy deserved his own thread since he has stirred so many emotions on these boards, both angry and sympathetic. Is he hot? Skeevy? What's up with all the winking? Furthermore, what's up with Desmond Harrington's weird Long Island/Boston hybrid of an accent?

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:33 PM

Was going to start a thread myself - glad I caught this in time.

I love GG but thought lately that something was missing. And yes, it was the presence of a real love-to-hate smarmy bastard like Jack Bass. I really like the actor - he somehow makes Jack still kind of hot despite inappropriate chasing of Blair and stealing Bass Industries for himself. No doubt the man is total scum, but the apple doesn't fall far from the tree, and something in the Bass tree is just rotten. Jack is exactly what Chuck would be if Chuck didn't know how to love. (Hello, almost-rapist Chuck.) He's cold and manipulative and takes what he wants. I have no doubt that the real Chuck Bass can take him on, but the battle is what's so fun to watch.

I like Uncle Jack's intrusion in Manhattan. Let him stay a while longer.

Edited by AuntieLizard, Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:34 PM.

hurtville

hurtville

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:38 PM

what's up with Desmond Harrington's weird Long Island/Boston hybrid of an accent?

This is all I can think about when I watch his scenes... and then my mind wanders to "I wonder what the Bass history is... did the Bass brothers grow up in Long Island? Chuck would gag if that were true!"
It's really counterproductive.

I will really love it when a return to true form Chuck takes this Basshole on for a real battle of the Basses. Because, let's get real - Chuck is the smartest person on the show... barring Eric.

tvhopper

tvhopper

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:43 PM

I really like the actor - he somehow makes Jack still kind of hot despite inappropriate chasing of Blair and stealing Bass Industries for himself.

Totally Agree!
Uncle Jack is BADD....but in a good way! He really is a love to hate character, shame i only love him! He's hot and i hope he stays around a bit. He adds more spice to the Chuck/Blair interaction.

Edited by tvhopper, Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:46 PM.

Popcorn123

Popcorn123

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:43 PM

Jack is exactly what Chuck would be if Chuck didn't know how to love. (Hello, almost-rapist Chuck.) He's cold and manipulative and takes what he wants. I have no doubt that the real Chuck Bass can take him on, but the battle is what's so fun to watch.

I agree very much with this. My favorite Chuck is the Chuck that's a bastard but protects those he loves (Blair, Serena, Eric, Nate, and his dad). I hope this last episode and losing everything (Bass Industries, Blair, the board's respect), Chuck wages war against Jack because that would be ridiculously hot and fun to watch.

As for Jack, I wish he and Chuck would become something akin to frenemies eventually because Chuck so badly wants a family and Jack is the only family he has. Also, their exchanges about the clap meds and whatnot were so cute! I really hope the writers let Jack stay even after Chuck destroys him professionally just for the quips.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:48 PM

I will really love it when a return to true form Chuck takes this Basshole on for a real battle of the Basses.

Ha! Basshole... love it!

As for Jack, I wish he and Chuck would become something akin to frenemies eventually because Chuck so badly wants a family and Jack is the only family he has. Also, their exchanges about the clap meds and whatnot were so cute! I really hope the writers let Jack stay even after Chuck destroys him professionally just for the quips.

I'd like the tension and drama and entertainment of seeing Bass v. Bass for a while. I wouldn't like Jack at all if Chuck got the better of him in one episode. It would be fun to see them constantly one up each another until Chuck gathers all his inner Bassness and just lets him have it.

Until then, I'd like to see what other tricks are up Uncle Jack's filthy sleeve...

Edited by AuntieLizard, Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:50 PM.

Purple Ditz

Purple Ditz

Fanatic

Posted Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:50 PM

This is all I can think about when I watch his scenes... and then my mind wanders to "I wonder what the Bass history is... did the Bass brothers grow up in Long Island?

Yes, actually. Bart and Jack grew up in a working-class family in Levittown.

Unfortunately, Desmond Harrington's Long Island accent sounds like a Massachusetts one. Weird, since the actor apparently grew up in the Bronx.

Edited by Purple Ditz, Jan 13, 2009 @ 11:56 PM.

NotTonight

NotTonight

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 12:06 AM

I will really love it when a return to true form Chuck takes this Basshole on for a real battle of the Basses. Because, let's get real - Chuck is the smartest person on the show... barring Eric.

I can't wait either!

I'm a bit underwhelmed with him as a Bass. He's not raspy or calculating enough, but he is the right amount of skeevy. I really loved Bart (and was very attracted to him) and thought Jack would fill the hole in my heart that his departure has left... but, not really. I think he's a bit bratty and childish. He whines like 17 yr old. His manipulations are no where near as awesome as Chuck's or Bart's (like that one episode when Bart hands over a necklace (collar) and Lily's file, owning her in one swoop.)

But, I agree that he comes at the perfect time. The character that I really loved to hate was Dan Humphrey. Every week I would look forward to what new feats douchebaggery he would perform, but lately, I just can't even muster up any hate for him. Even his relationship with Serena was tolerable during the last episode. So, I needed Jack Bass. He's just the douche I was looking for.

Edited by NotTonight, Jan 14, 2009 @ 12:10 AM.

Magwitch

Magwitch

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 1:18 AM

Favourite Jackbass line: in the principal's office, explaining why he's there, "...both parents being dead... Sorry, Chuck." And Chuck's reply: "No problem." It made me do a double take. Both EW and Harrington's deliveries there, so perfect. I think Jack reminds me of the amorality and aloneness of Chuck before the writers began to write him more sympathetically, and that's why I like him.

TiffanyNichelle

TiffanyNichelle

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 1:47 AM

Right now Jack Bass may be my favorite character on the show. He just delights me. His being super hot doesn't hurt either.

oufti

oufti

Fanatic

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 2:35 AM

A thread for Jack! Good idea!

I love to hate him.
I don't like when people threaten my Chuck and win but Jack is good at that. I can't wait to see the fight begin between thme, it's going to be entertaining.

For me, till now, Jack is the best guest that this show had.

Beside, I'm crossing my fingers wishing that we're maybe going to learn a bit more about the Basses.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

• Interests:Psychiatry(doh!)<br />Knitting<br />Tv(doh!)

Posted Jan 14, 2009 @ 9:49 AM

I love GG but thought lately that something was missing. And yes, it was the presence of a real love-to-hate smarmy bastard like Jack Bass.

That's still Chuck for me! Okay, his uncle seems to be way smarmier though, so maybe Jack will be my number one love to hate guy from now on.

I thought it was too much too soon though. I'd rather if he had been introduced to us in the funeral, as an enigmatic character, which isn't quite obviously the new mega villain. Then slowly, he could up the ante and build up to his actions from the latest episode.

Edited by Gardel, Jan 14, 2009 @ 9:50 AM.

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 15, 2009 @ 5:09 PM

For me, till now, Jack is the best guest that this show had.

I agree. For me, he beats Serena's grandma since she stopped manipulating for selfish reasons. Now Jack have taken that role.

Ambereen

Ambereen

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 17, 2009 @ 12:53 PM

I heart Jack. He's sleazy, slimy, and sexy.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 7:19 AM

I liked him when he had this calculating aloof air about him. I even thought he used drugs only on a recreational basis, but now he seems just like your average drug added, rich guy, who's incapable of controlling himself.

oufti

oufti

Fanatic

Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 8:12 AM

Well, for me that doesn't make him less interesting.
Beside, I think that explain why Bart send him far away but still keep him for Bass Industry (because like Chuck, Bart was a familly guy in fact!). So, yes, Jack's characterisation was more promising during last week episode but I still think (hope above all) we are not done with him because his departure seem too fast.
Beside, I would have loved to know more about the Bass background. Where do they come from? Why is Jack so young in comparaison of his brother (when Chuck was born, Jack had what, 15 years old?)? Why are the Bass the way they are? How were their Parents?
I for one would love to know more about them and I tend to think that Jack was the only one able to bring us more clues. If he is gone for good, I will feel bitter.

MasalaCurry

MasalaCurry

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 21, 2009 @ 9:54 PM

I really liked Jack because he is hot, and because his behavior brought to light of how Chuck would have been 10 years later had he not cleaned up his act. I wish the show focused on this as well because I do think that it may have been responsible for Chuck's soul searching and redemption, besides Jack's taking over Bass industries. Chuck could either be a good businessman like his father and/or a better man than his father, or be like Jack as a businessman and a person. Especially so when Chuck saved Lily from Jack, and he himself had done that to Serena and Jenny in the past. There must have been some kind of a deja vu there.

Edited by MasalaCurry, Jan 22, 2009 @ 1:54 PM.

Popcorn123

Popcorn123

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 22, 2009 @ 2:29 AM

I totally agree that what makes Jack most interesting (to me anyway) was that he is exactly who Chuck might have been in 12 years. Evil, a coke-head, no friends, no loved ones, borderline rapist, and completely immoral. It's easily something Chuck could have become, especially now that he's an orphan. But Chuck isn't going to grow up like that, he's never going to hope his 17 yr old nephew jumps off a ledge and he's never (again, lol) going to attempt to rape someone. So I like knowing who Chuck could have become and as the show continues, we're going to see someone he is becoming.

grumpylovechuck

grumpylovechuck

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 22, 2009 @ 9:26 AM

Right before he attacked Lily, when Lily was trying to get away from him...the look on Jack's face, coupled with the music in the background made me think that, had the writers prob could have made him a recurring character and hook up with Lily. I still think they could have done that had they not made him a psycho...I don't think he can really be redeemed at this pt.

Awfully Good

Awfully Good

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 25, 2009 @ 12:17 PM

grumpylovechuck, I thought that there might be a small possibility that Jack Bass will be used as plot device #47 to keep Lily/Rufus apart and create more confusion to Dullerena/Dullan.
Though, the bathroom scene was edited in a weird way. I guess they were suggesting that he actually PG raped her. So, I bet that if Lily is pregnant, then Jack is the father.

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Jan 25, 2009 @ 12:49 PM

I really hope not. The scene was weird, but I would rather not believe there was more to it than it contained.

Hopefully, Jack will be around, but for other purposes, because I really do like the idea of it being a character which shows what Chuck could become without intervention.

AuntieLizard

AuntieLizard

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 12:35 AM

If he did rape her, she definitely would have pressed charges. Not pressing charges wasn't the best thing to do, but Lily was relatively unharmed, hence the slide.

Well, so much for Uncle Jack. I had high hopes for him but it fizzled, like Georgina. Show just can't make use of a good villain.

Edited by AuntieLizard, Feb 4, 2009 @ 12:36 AM.

italiangirl99

italiangirl99

Channel Surfer

Posted Jul 11, 2009 @ 1:01 PM

Did anyone else feel like that was a pretty awkward scene? Like I honestly didn't expect it.

But wait. When Jack covered Lily's mouth and brought up her dress, we dont really see him rape her. Because then, Chuck comes in and rips Jack off of Lily and throws him onto the couch.

So this would prove that Lily couldnt be pregnant with Jack's baby right?

Gardel

Gardel

Fanatic

Posted Sep 23, 2009 @ 9:19 AM

This show needs a villain so bad! Bring back uncle Jack. Not the one who tried to rape Lily though, but the conniving bastard he was when he was first introduced, because he was way more interesting than Nate's grandpa.

Bec

Bec

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 1:01 AM

From the episode thread:

This is the only thing irking me about the Jack/Chuck storyline (and I love Jack's creepy rapist ass - he's so deliciously evil) - what is the point of all this? Why is he so obsessed with Chuck? What did this kid ever do to him that was so wrong that he wants to do everything in his power to destroy him? He started on this little journey long before he even knew Chuck would inherit Bass Industries so something else is at work here. I just wish the writers would clue us in on what that something is, assuming they even know what the hell it is at this point.

I don't know if the writers laid this groundwork intentionally, but it now seems like both Jack and Bart loved the same woman (Elisabeth Fisher or whatever the hell her name is supposed to be). Maybe she couldn't make a choice for a long time. Maybe she was about to decide she liked Jack better than Bart, but by then she was already pregnant with Bart's kid.

Maybe they didn't cross paths again until after Bart's death. So that's 18(?) years that Jack lost with the woman he (sort of) loved. And he probably blames it on Chuck.

Chuck will always stand between Jack and Elizabeth. That's why he made her do all that to prove he's more important to her than her son by Bart (of course it ended up proving the opposite, so Jack is even more pissed off now).

It does kind of explain why Jack hates his nephew so weirdly much. To the point of obsession, really.

Edited by Bec, Apr 8, 2010 @ 1:06 AM.

Light of Night

Light of Night

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 6:10 AM

I like this idea, Bec.

hiddenletter

hiddenletter

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 7:20 AM

Second. Also, I liked the idea you implied, Light of Night - that maybe Jack went all Hamlet on Bart's ass. Then, though, we have the age old question of why: Bart wasn't with the girl anymore, and Jack didn't want Bass Industries that badly or he would have killed Chuck, too. Revenge, maybe?

rue721

rue721

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2010 @ 3:03 PM

You guys might think I'm crazy, but...

I think Jack Bass is just the manifestation of Chuck's "darkest thought(s)." I don't actually think he exists outside Chuck's head.

Lots of his lines echo things that Chuck has said to others--things there would be no way for Jack to know about. The best example is at the end of "Inglorious Bassterds" when Jack talks about Blair "seeing" Chuck--that's a direct to when Chuck told Blair he had ditched her Tuscany (another huge betrayal) because he was afraid of her "seeing" him. There are lots of other direct call-backs in that episode--being "soft" was a weird one, too (Bart never actually said that, Chuck just thought it via his hallucination/manifestation of Ghost!Bart). But Jack also always seems to echo Chuck's worst urges WAY too closely, and he only appears precisely at times when Chuck feels completely abandoned:

Suddenly have total freedom, unlimited money, and a dead father to piss off? Coke and whores!
Signing your life away to Lily by letting her adopt you? Take control by attacking her and "showing her who's boss"!
Thinking of choosing business over Blair? Here's a way to show the girl!

And I think that's why when Blair comes back from "Jack's," Chuck starts reciting the "darkest thought" prayer--because she just saw his darkest thought--Jack.

There's lots more that I'm going to put on the speculation thread, but just think: Mulholland Drive. And yeah, I think Elizabeth was just in his head, too. I think what we've seen of Chuck's storyline since he disappeared at the end of the Scavenger Hunt Kiss episode is only a delusional, distorted and splintered version of what happened.

hiddenletter

hiddenletter

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 7:50 PM

I think what we've seen of Chuck's storyline since he disappeared at the end of the Scavenger Hunt Kiss episode is only a delusional, distorted and splintered version of what happened.

If we're going to go there, let's go all the way back and say he never really came back from Thailand.

This is actually a lot of fun to think about.

rue721

rue721

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2010 @ 11:38 PM

Snip--long digression of how I think Jack is only in Chuck's mind, Tyler Durden-style, and how that has effected his storyline since Bart's death in S2.

But thought I'd better put it in the Spoiler thread, though it's just speculation.

Edited by rue721, Apr 11, 2010 @ 11:41 PM.