Chopped: Junior Varsity Iron Chef America?

• Please log in to reply

7245 replies to this topic

Rowr17

Rowr17

Fanatic

Posted Jan 27, 2009 @ 11:30 PM

He was quite as ass wasn't he? Accusing another contestant of stealing, only apologizing when prompted after stealing himself, saying his entree was a "man's dish" and he felt sorry to give it to the female judge (who's name escapes me)...what a nightmare, Glad I don't have to work with him.

Yeah, he was pretty much a huge ass. I thought the whole bacon/man's dish thing was especially hilarious given that Alex Guarnaschelli is head chef of a restaurant called "Butter," and has also been a judge on Iron Chef America- where she has never been afraid of the bacon/fat preperation (at least not when done well).

fasces7

fasces7

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 27, 2009 @ 11:33 PM

He would have been better on Top Chef. Half of his lines in this show, particularly leading into the judging, sound like they were written for the ICA Chairman, right down to the cadence. Mark Dacoscos can pull it off, particularly since he's willing to go so over the top. It just grates coming from Ted Allen.

jmilazzo

jmilazzo

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 27, 2009 @ 11:37 PM

For the grapefruit dish -- I think it was the appetizer -- the one girl had the grapefruit salad & I think one other contestant had grapefruit mixed in but I never saw grapefruit in Chris's dish nor in one other contestant's. Was there grapefruit in all 4 dishes?

ronoolhi

ronoolhi

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jan 28, 2009 @ 12:22 AM

I just don't like Alex Guarnaschelli (sp?) and can't take her seriously since she botched the mashed potatoes in the Thanksgiving Food Network Challenge.

Nice to see Aaron Sanchez back; he's come a long way from Ready! Set! Cook!

Edited by ronoolhi, Jan 28, 2009 @ 12:23 AM.

Rinaldo

Rinaldo

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2009 @ 7:07 AM

Was there grapefruit in all 4 dishes?

I don't have total recall on this, but I remember at least one of them using just the juice. Maybe my brain is inventing that.

Chris had his sympathetic moments during the prep phases, but overall... yeah, an A-1 jerk. The stealing accusation, the stealing-before-asking his own self, the token apology under orders (of that "if I have to" variety that's one of the things I hate most), the incessant double-dipping (I needed someone to call him on that during judging)... that's a whole lot of irritating.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2009 @ 9:54 AM

Chris was a total douchbag. I wanted to reach in the TV and smack him when he made those sexist remarks (twice!) about the entree being a "man's dish". So glad that Alex smacked him down. I was definitely rooting against him by that time. I liked the one judge's comments to him at the end, about him needing to grow up.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Jan 28, 2009 @ 11:34 AM

the incessant double-dipping

That really grossed me out! I would have kicked him off just for that. I know a lot of chefs (and home cooks) do it, but to double dip in clear view of the judges just shows perpetual poor hygiene. It's as if he can't stop the behavior even after he's chastised because it's part of his routine.

This episode was more interesting to me than a previous episode I caught. I explained it to a friend as "a little like IC and a little like TC, but more boring and dark". I do like that each episode is a complete show.

LTG

LTG

Network Executive

Posted Jan 28, 2009 @ 8:57 PM

I like Ted as a judge on Top Chef and ICA, but I think he's just awful on this (almost as bad as on his other FN show, the food science one). He's just kind of stiff and shouty.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Jan 28, 2009 @ 10:19 PM

I started hoping, once I saw him do it, that the Health Department gives wherever that Jackass Chef Chris works a violation due to his "double dipping". Or if he's a self-employed free-lancer, they revoke his license to serve the public. OK, they can't necesarily PROVE he also double-dips while working for clients/the public if they don't see him do it while they're inspecting, but to me it's a safe bet if he did it on Chopped he does it other places as well. GROSS!

Ladytenor

Ladytenor

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 28, 2009 @ 10:36 PM

Let's not forget his little bratty display of throwing away his apron in the dumpster after he was chopped. The judges were right that he needed to work on his maturity issues. He was arrogant, unhygenic, immature, bratty and I was not that impressed with most of his dishes. I was really disappointed that he made it to the final two...I was ready to throw something at the screen if he had won the ten grand.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Jan 29, 2009 @ 1:06 PM

Having seen this recently, I kind of like this show. Pretty low key, good for what it is. Will the panel of judges always be the same? They give good comment.

Bean Boy

Bean Boy

Just Tuned In

Posted Jan 29, 2009 @ 10:39 PM

So far (I've seen epis 2 & 3), it's the same three on the judging panel. I'm liking Andrea G. Anyone who begs for a little olive oil is okay in my book.

Also I've developed a little crush on Pippa from week 2. Her shtick with the fruit and the booze stole my heart. Hope they bring back all the winners for a massive cook-off.

Refresh

Refresh

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 2:45 AM

Wasn't the younger guy in the episode of Top Chef where the customers were candidates that didn't make the show? Him, or someone looking like him was on the epi blasting the cooks.

Yep. That's him. His name is Perry Pollaci and he was one of the unpicked for Top Chef who critiqued Season 5. He was also on The Restaurant, Rocco DiSpirito's reality show (brought to you by American Express).

Numtini

Numtini

Channel Surfer

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 10:55 AM

We caught an episode, the one with Mr. Personality and the mystery of the stolen mushrooms. I think the show has a lot of potential.

Ted Allen is totally wasted on the show and like that Mythbusters clone they have/had him fronting for, everything sounds faked as if he was the car dealer in one of those horrible late night commercials. That might work for some people, but I associate Allen with urbane snide little comments and quips, not unintentional camp. I have no idea how much of his queer eye and top chef stuff was written for him and how much was him, but if it was written, get the writers who did that and fire the ones who are writing him for this. Let him be "himself." Or at least the himself we saw before Food Network got ahold of him.

The show itself. I like the fact that it's a one off. I'm getting fatigued with the long drama filled reality tv. While it flows logically, I hope they mix the courses up a bit, desert is not most chef's forte. The freaky ingredient, just IMHO, is going to get really old really quick. Can we come up with some other twists or leave it out of a couple of the challenges?

Sandstar

Sandstar

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 12:34 PM

We caught an episode, the one with Mr. Personality and the mystery of the stolen mushrooms. I think the show has a lot of potential.

Ted Allen is totally wasted on the show and like that Mythbusters clone they have/had him fronting for, everything sounds faked as if he was the car dealer in one of those horrible late night commercials. That might work for some people, but I associate Allen with urbane snide little comments and quips, not unintentional camp. I have no idea how much of his queer eye and top chef stuff was written for him and how much was him, but if it was written, get the writers who did that and fire the ones who are writing him for this. Let him be "himself." Or at least the himself we saw before Food Network got ahold of him.

The show itself. I like the fact that it's a one off. I'm getting fatigued with the long drama filled reality tv. While it flows logically, I hope they mix the courses up a bit, desert is not most chef's forte. The freaky ingredient, just IMHO, is going to get really old really quick. Can we come up with some other twists or leave it out of a couple of the challenges?

Hmm, the show has a lot of potential, so long as we change everything? Okay...

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Jan 30, 2009 @ 5:14 PM

For me, the thing that makes this show worth watching is the judges. I love their commentary while the cooking is going on, and their intelligent (rather than snarky) comments when they're tasting the food. I'm not a huge fan of ICA, and one of the things that turn me off on that show is some of the really nasty judges they have. (Come to think of it, they should have brought Toby Young onto ICA instead of Top Chef, he'd fit right in.)

I do like the 'open the mystery box and make a dish using all these ingredients in 30 minutes' as well.

And while it makes sense in the context of the show title, I still find it wierd that Ted lifts the cover to show us the dish that lost, rather than the one that won.

cek125

cek125

Video Archivist

Posted Jan 31, 2009 @ 3:49 PM

I am watching the show with Chris and what a jerk. I believe that Chef Andre said that he worked with Chef (I use that term rather loosely) Chris and that he was all over the kitchen. The double dipping was gross and when Aaron mentioned it to him-he said thanks for the tip. I wanted to smack him. The final round he still was double dipping and didnt like the talking back to the judges and asking Andre if he needed help. I like when Andre called Chris a bozo.

valmommyt

valmommyt

Channel Surfer

Posted Feb 1, 2009 @ 12:27 AM

I like the show, but I don't think it's right for Ted Allen, at least this "new" Ted we are seeing here and on "Food Detectives". I don't understand why he has to deliver all his lines in such a dramatic and shouty fashion? Alex G. is a bit of a bitch, isn't she? But her critiques are spot on, so I can't complain about that. What else has Arron Sanchez been on? He seems so familiar to me, but I haven't seen "Ready Set Cook" in years, so I can't imagine it can be from that? Only thing I would change? Give them an hour for the entree, it just makes sense to me. My kids enjoy watching the show with me, we always pause right after the boxes are opened and try to come up with our own dishes, and then see if the chefs pick our ideas.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 1, 2009 @ 11:29 AM

Aaron Sanchez was one of the contestants for The Next Iron Chef. He was also one of the chefs on Melting Pot years ago.

Catgirl14

Catgirl14

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 2, 2009 @ 7:59 AM

I got to see this over the weekend. Its not big on my list and I think they waste Ted alot. Still there was no way to describe my utter joy when Chris did not win. What a total tool. I didn't care that he might have talent, I despised him for thinking he was so above everybody else (including the judges) that he couldn't take criticism. When Chris asked if he could help out Andre, I thought stay the hell away from him. So glad Andre called him on being a bozo, although a**hole would equally applicable.

Also, some of these baskets have been obvious. I thought right away when I saw grape jelly=red wine.

OHgamer

OHgamer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 11:07 PM

I'm so glad Einat won this week. Even had Luis not f'ed up his dessert with the salt instead of sugar, her dishes just seemed overall more creative and balanced, even if she did not know a couple of the ingredients really well (cream of mushroom soup as a secret ingredient, really??).

As for the other two chefs, still can't figure why Sean didn't do something with banana when his banana brule went south. As for the dietician, his food didn't appeal to me at all - sour cream, chicken broth, anchovy and orange dressing, just doesn't sound appealing at all.

I remember when Einat was on Throwdown, IIRC she lost to Bobby in making falafel, so this is a nice rebound for her.

BW Manilowe

BW Manilowe

Fanatic

Posted Feb 3, 2009 @ 11:58 PM

I thought tonight was pretty good. I'm sorry Chef Kyle got chopped before the basket with the grits; being Southern, he might've known what to do with them when that basket came up.

Ted actually explained tonight that you didn't have to use ALL parts of an ingredient in your dish, as long as you had some part of it included (as in "If we give you grapefruits, you can just use the juice if you want & you don't have to use the zest/rind/pulp/whatever as well")--which I think was a concern upthread.

I noticed they finally rotated in some new judges as well. I remembered Ted saying in the 1st ep there'd be a rotating panel, but since Alex/Aaron/Marc were the judges on all the eps before tonight I thought maybe they'd decided against rotating judges after the Pilot.

I thought the female judge was maybe a little bitchy towards the 2nd chef to get chopped (Chef Kyle?). But otherwise they were probably OK.

LogCabinPat

LogCabinPat

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 12:00 AM

still can't figure why Sean didn't do something with banana when his banana brule went south

I agree, that was stupid. He should have just put a little tiny piece of banana on each plate and he would have been covered. If it didn't go with anything else, so what?, at least he wouldn't be out on a techicality. It seemed that the judges liked his ravioli as much if not more than any of the other dishes.

Sandstar

Sandstar

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 1:26 AM

I just have to say that Chef Kyle's voice bugged the hell out of me.

RainIsBeautiful

RainIsBeautiful

Stalker

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 8:33 AM

Nice to see judge Scott Conant was just as grumpy on Chopped as he was on last week's episode of Top Chef. ;)

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 9:18 AM

I just have to say that Chef Kyle's voice bugged the hell out of me.

I have to agree. It bothered me so much that I was actually hoping he'd get chopped.

Unfortunately, I was having computer 'issues' when this episode was on, so I didn't get to pay as much attention to it as I would have liked. At least FN will show this again 500 times this week.

I wonder how well the ingredients in the pantry are marked that Luis mixed up the salt and sugar. And where is their Dymo labeler?

breathespink

breathespink

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 10:22 AM

Chef Kyle's voice was the worst. He was talking so much in the VOs/diary/whatever-you-call-its during the appetizers that I thought that he was going home in the first round. Unfortunately, the editors were cruel and tortured us with his voice for two.

It's funny how both in Hell's Kitchen and Chopped someone mistoke (a word? not sure) sugar and salt for being the opposite. Both of these mistakes happening in the same week being aired.

carmelized

carmelized

Fanatic

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 5:20 PM

I caught this for the first time last night, and I liked it. They give a lot of feedback on the dishes, and we get to see a lot of the cooking process. I will definitely watch again.

Sandstar

Sandstar

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 6:56 PM

It's funny how both in Hell's Kitchen and Chopped someone mistoke (a word? not sure) sugar and salt for being the opposite. Both of these mistakes happening in the same week being aired.

Mistook. Yes, it's a real word. :)

OHgamer

OHgamer

Couch Potato

Posted Feb 4, 2009 @ 9:14 PM

Food Network Addict reporting that Chopped has been picked upfor another 26 epis. Must have been some strong Nielsens for the show's first couple weeks.