Chopped: Junior Varsity Iron Chef America?

• Please log in to reply

7241 replies to this topic

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:14 AM

What "expert" on saffron uses as a garnish on each plate like $5 worth and enough to season ten dishes.

That's just what I was thinking while she was throwing it everywhere in her dish. That stuff's so expensive! I don't care how much money the Food Network makes.

AloeVera

AloeVera

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:41 AM

I am afraid that Kermit and Medusa may, indeed, think that the drama that is Penniless brings viewers. If so, they would be wrong.

LOL so very true. I understand they put her there on purpose, as she does stir emotions, but they're really the wrong kind and have nothing to do with food.
It's a shame she can't see they're using her and still thinks any exposure is a good exposure. Not to mention her idea of "building an empire" with them - when even the winners of the last few seasons of TNFS didn't even come close to it...

In any case, it's great that this "All-Star" is finally over. It would be nice to go back to some Chopped episodes with down to earth hard working chefs, after all the "drama".

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 9:00 AM

She better not start appearing on other shows now, let her go build her empire somewhere else. I'm going to send foodnetwork an email & let them know I don't want to see her again (& what the hell was that meow thing she did at the beginning?) I think everybody should just to stop her from appearing on our screens again

The meow/snarl at the Hosebeast from Hell's intro was from an episode of TNFNS. When another female contestant criticized her (and rightfully so), she did her animal sounds to signify a cat fight, I guess. Cats everywhere hung their heads in shame for at least three days.

I really don't think that we'll see Penny again, at least on FN. She made the fatal error of a) criticizing Amanda Freitag for her well-reasoned critique about saffron (For any Top Chef fans out there, she reminded me of the wretched Ilan and his saffron obsession); and b) her outlandish statements about Michael and Marcus and even Jeffrey for that matter. Marcus and Michael are well-known, well-liked (YMMV there) personalities, both on FN and in general, as well as being renowned chefs well-known in the culinary world, and Jeffrey has had a show on the Cooking Channel, by virtue of being the runner-up on TNFNS (when he should have won, but I digress.) In any event, Jeffrey didn't get said show by criticizing any of the judges or personalities on FN, nor did he criticize them last night. Personally, I'm happy that he had the opportunity to go up against Marcus, as he seemed really happy just about that. (Conveniently, my cable provider had the sound, but no picture, on FN last night after a storm, so it was like radio for me.)

Penny gets even more of my ire because she could have cared less that it was a competition for charity and her behavior was far less than charitable. She gave passing lip service to her charity, and I'm sure that charity wasn't happy about her behavior last night, and it was only when she had gotten her multiple digs in about the other chefs that she spoke about the charity. She is a toxic person, and I hope that this is the end of Penny on any competitive cooking show. I'm just glad the real Penny was on full display last night for the viewing public. Yes, she truly is THAT bad. If she wants to go on "Survivor" or some cut-rate reality show a la Frat Boy Chris from that season, she is free to do so. I can see her angling for a spot on "'Celebrity' Apprentice".

Agree with above posters; am getting a bit tired of Anne Burrell, who used to be my odds-on favorite whenever she competed. But she's become such a sore loser and a gloating winner that I don't really want to see her outside of her Secrets show any more. And I'm learning to like Alex and missed having her as a judge tonight.

Well said. I've confessed to my loving Alex as time has gone by. I imagine that even though Santos judged, taping this championship was probably done in a couple of days, and Alex was probably tired out (I would be). Besides she had to serve as Geoffrey's sous chef on ICA at 10 p.m.! ;) I also think serving as a judge was payback for Anne getting chopped in the second round last year, as she was quite snippy about that. I'm glad to see that others are picking up on Anne's sour grapes attitude in competition shows. Santos was a complete teddy bear compared to her nitpicks. And although I couldn't see the picture, I'm sure she had that look where she kind of nibbles the food with this dour look on her face like she's being asked to eat cat food.

orchidgal

orchidgal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:01 AM

Penny saying that she was standing between Michael and Marcus and that it made them nervous. What a bitch.

I don't think she believed that for a second. Between that and a couple of her other talking heads, I think her intention was to show the viewers how witty she was. Fail.

Actually, I think that Penny believes every word of it. She seems to think that the sun revolves around her and that she is greater than we mere mortals. What a vile douche bag.

Note the class with which both Michael Symon and Jeffrey Saad exited after their eliminations compared with bad Penny.

To TPTB at FN: if I ever see Penny Davidi again on your network, I will drop your network like a bad penny. I hate and despise her that much.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:40 AM

With regards to Chris Santos, I have to admit that after reading this forum over the past couple of days, and seeing remarks about all the times Chris gets bones, skin, and other vile stuff on his plates, I actually LOL'd when he was the one that got skin and bones from Jeffrey's fish plate.

chessiegal

chessiegal

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

Penny may indeed be a vile person, but I think she is deliberately putting on this persona for the cameras. She says she wants to "brand" herself. She's found her hook and is milking it for all it's worth. Who's the person most talked about? Penny - and that's exactly how she wants it.

I would be happy never to see her on my TV again, and I hope Scripps Network is done with her, but I dunno - money and ratings are what makes a network go 'round.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:00 AM

I was really surprised to see Chris Santos as a judge in the finale. Contestant one week, judge the next--only on FN. Speaking of judges, I was happy to see Anne Burrell on the show. In fact, I think it would be a good idea to have all the final judges be new or at least not the regulars. It would somewhat give the semblance of objectivity.

I wasn't upset to see Symon eliminated so early, but it did seem to indicate that Samuelsson would win, especially since I couldn't believe even FN would be stupid enough to give the victory to Penny.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:18 AM

Of course the problem is that Food Network is so incestuous that it may be hard to find completely objective judges, but I agree that for the finale, they should have all three judges not part of the regular Chopped panel. Still, I do think that they probably chose the best chef for the win. Plus last season, they chose Appleman over Sanchez so I guess they do try to be truly objective.

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:23 AM

I imagine that even though Santos judged, taping this championship was probably done in a couple of days, and Alex was probably tired out (I would be).

I suspect that the third slot for the finale was reserved for whatever chef was eliminated in the judges' round, so it could have been anyone but Marcus.

In fact, I think it would be a good idea to have all the final judges be new or at least not the regulars.

I haven't been too thrilled with the new and/or one-off judges they've had. Somebody handed them a memo that Chopped is all about the snark. At least when you have consistent judges, the cheftestants have a rough idea of how they're going to be judged. I also feel that the judges who've competed in Chopped have gained a new understanding of just how difficult it is to be on that side of the table. Alex doesn't talk as much as she used to about food felonies. Amanda is much gentler than when she first started judging. So we just need to have Scott Conant in the next tournament and red onions in the basket.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:26 AM

So we just need to have Scott Conant in the next tournament and red onions in the basket.

Okay, this made me LOL.

JoannKB

JoannKB

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:56 AM

Penny may indeed be a vile person, but I think she is deliberately putting on this persona for the cameras. She says she wants to "brand" herself. She's found her hook and is milking it for all it's worth.

I agree it seems like she's putting on this persona, which makes her seem even more tone deaf. Why would she think that creating this type of "brand" would be appealing? Ugh.

The cuts between her talking heads (and even Jeffrey's) with Marcus & Michael's were jarring. Marcus and Michael talked like chefs talking normally about food. Penny and Jeffrey talk like cartoon characters. They sound like they're reading a script they just spent hours writing for themselves. Didn't anyone tell them they are not on NFNS anymore?

Psychobunny

Psychobunny

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:44 PM

Almost everything I've wanted to say has already been said. The TH segments were so telling. Three of the chefs talked about the ingredients and the food. One talked about how great she was. Also noticed how she was "misrepresented" on TNFNS but somehow came across just the same here. Somehow I don't think it's all editing. I think what I hate the most is the lack of respect for the other chefs. The gloating when Symon was chopped was typical. I do think Marcus deserved to win and he came across as much more likeable to me. I think he is not as relatable as some other chefs which may be because of his upbringing and I don't know if I could watch him on a cooking show but he really does seem to care about his charity. In addition, I was able to see how he used all the different ingredients to build layers of flavor, like making the fish broth then using that to cook the couscous.

My favorite part of the show, though, was when they put up the graphic with each chef's biography, and they list things like Iron Chef, owner and executive chef of Red Rooster, host of whatever cooking show, and Penny's only said something like Food Network Personality. I guess they can add loser of TNFNS and Copped All-Stars if they want to pad her resume. (Also bitch the very fact that you chose to garnish your plates with saffron thread show that you know jacksh*t about saffron. It's like those chefs who drown everything in truffle oil. It really makes me want to taste Marcus' food).

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:18 PM

Unless Marcus had delivered the previously mentioned "barbequed puppy" there was no way he could have lost...

This annoys me no end, because I believe it's true that once Michael was chopped, there was no way Marcus would lose. He may be the cheffiest chef that ever cheffed (to paraphrase an earlier post), but he's not infallible. And it's possible that Jeffrey actually could have done something with the ingredients that was more interesting and tasted better than what he did. I'd rather see the cooks actually have to EARN the victory, and not get the victory based on reputation alone. It's Marcus's sense of entitlement that got him booted off TNIC relatively early and I would've liked to see the same thing happen in this competition.

To be clear - I don't think Jeffrey outcooked him. I think he made some glaring mistakes, especially with his presentation and with the bonito that he served to Chris Santos. What I dislike is feeling like Samuelson's win was a foregone conclusion. Why bother having the competition if there's "no way" that Saad (or anybody else except Michael Symon) could've been competitive?

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:55 PM

Penny may indeed be a vile person, but I think she is deliberately putting on this persona for the cameras. She says she wants to "brand" herself. She's found her hook and is milking it for all it's worth.

Exactly. I think Penny decided during NFNS that she preferred notoriety to being ignored and then set out to become the Omarosa of the Food Network. If that was her goal, she succeeded. At this remove, I can't remember the name of the Mexican girl who placed second to Jeff Mauro or the name of the annoying woman Penny made the catfight noise at. But I sure remember Penny. I'm sure she'll turn up again on reality TV somewhere.

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 2:59 PM

Why bother having the competition if there's "no way" that Saad (or anybody else except Michael Symon) could've been competitive?

Because the brackets were set up so that there were likely to be two weak competitors in the final round. It would be as if the #1 seeds in the NCAA Tournament all faced each other in the first round, instead of coming together in the Final Four. The Iron Chefs knocked each other out in the first round and the judges knocked each other out in the fourth round, and clearly, the strongest chefs come from those two groups. I think it might have been more interesting if the seedings had been jumbled or drawn by lot. But there's just no way anyone would or should expect a TNFNS also-ran to beat a Top Chef Master's Champion or an Iron Chef. Unless they left okra chips on the counter.

Would, however, be wicked cool if they invited Madison and Danielle and the other (can't remember his name) Chopped Grand Champion to the next tournament.

Edited by Cattykit, May 7, 2012 @ 3:01 PM.

floretbroccoli

floretbroccoli

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:01 PM

Here's what worried me regarding Penny on last night's show.

We've noticed that she's trying to re-brand herself. Indeed, in her round of Chopped All-Stars, she seemed to have dropped the hot mama persona and used the word "feisty" to describe herself.

Last night, Ted Allen referred to her feistiness. This makes me afraid that *FN* is trying to re-brand her. Heaven help us all.

All of last night's contestants were playing for worthy causes. Probably everyone in the tournament was. But I found their holier-than-thou attitudes very off-putting. Maybe next time they could take a few minutes for each chef to talk (ONCE) about her/his charity, and put a phone number or URL on the screen, so viewers could learn more and make donations. AND NOT HAVE MULTIPLE explanations about how important it is that they win for their charities.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

We were having severe weather, coupled with some other major depressing distractions last evening, so I sort of half-watched this. I am going to guess it will be repeated next week as a lead-in to "Next Super Star," (or whatever the hell FN has "re-branded" TNFNS to be.)

I missed some of the Penny remarks about how she was making MS2 (to the second power) "nervous" by her presence. Why? It's certainly not because she's some raving beauty or world-class chef. I did hear some of her remarks about being "feisty," something about her "empire," that she "deserved a place on FN", etc. Hey, as far as I'm concerned, she CAN have a show on FN. From what I read on many other threads, few people watch FN anymore because people are tired of endless repeats of DDD or cupcake competitions and the watch TCC. Or, they tune in to specific shows just to snark about them.

There just seemed to be something very odd about the entire show, like it was carefully orchestrated by MS2 so that Marcus would win. Chopping Michael Symon in the first round for a mistake of not including a basket ingredient just didn't seem plausible, especially for somebody of his skill level. But, I guess anything is possible. Cat Cora remarked after being chopped that being on "Chopped" was completely different from being on ICA because on ICA, you at least had some clue of what the possible mystery ingredient would be...

Anyway, I thought the whole show as some kind of "major redemption." Marcus was supposed to win because he lost on some other shows. Anne was brought on to judge, since she's lost both "Chopped" and "NICA." Why was Chris brought back as a judge since he lost out in the ICA round? I think that they should have used somebody else. Geoffrey would have been a good balance with abrasive Anne.

Yes, add me to the crew who is quickly losing the "Anne love." I think that a healthy sense of self-confidence is a good thing (as long as it's not on the delusional level as Penny) but I think Anne truly believes that NOBODY's food is worthy of her to eat and she's a far superior chef than anybody on the planet. I have never heard her say good things about a peer (well, maybe her pal, Alex) and I am tired of her overly-aggressive/competitive attitude. As somebody else pointed out, yes, she is a boastful winner and not a gracious loser.

Back to Penny. She certainly is a mental mess. First, she plays the misunderstood victim, then she gets on the "women's rights" bandwagon, then she acts like she's God's gift to the kitchen, then, she has to underscore whatever insecurities or pathologies she possesses by speaking ill of both her competitors and the judges. She's just an overall unpleasant person. I was glad to see her go and I really wished that it was in the appetizer round. Was it true that she used saffron threads as a GARNISH??? OMG, that stuff is EXPENSIVE. It imparts such a strong flavor and color, that you have to use it very carefully. I would think that since Penny's forte' is Middle Eastern cooking, she'd know that. (I thought one of "America's Worst Cooks" made that mistake, which I could give a pass to.) Good for Amanda for calling Penny out on that one.

I was impressed with Jeffrey. He is personable, poised and competitive, but in a good-natured manner. I did not expect for him to beat Marcus, especially at the very end when he pulled out that processed raspberry whatever it was. I think that with more experience and maybe some advanced training, he will go far. I'll bet he is eternally grateful that Melissa beat him on TNFNS. (I can't imagine him being button-holed into preparing meals for $10.) I think he's better suited for his show on TCC and maybe this performance on ASC will open more doors for him to be on more shows where he actually cooks.

So now Marcus has the victory under his belt. Rah! Rah! Rah!

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 7:54 PM

But there's just no way anyone would or should expect a TNFNS also-ran to beat a Top Chef Master's Champion or an Iron Chef. Unless they left okra chips on the counter.

But that sort of underscores my point - shit happens, and Marcus could've made a mistake on par with Michael's. Do I expect him to? No, of course not. But did anybody really expect that Elizabeth Falkner would outperform Marcus on TNIC? And yet she did.The guy is fallible, he's not the be-all and end-all of cooking, and the assumption that there's "no way a NFNS also-ran (whom many, including myself, believe should have won...FWIW) could beat a TCM" makes the whole competition pointless.

Bobby Flay and Michael Symon are generally well-respected, top-tier chefs...and yet, on any given day, a competitor can come in to Kitchen Stadium and beat them. Why is it so outrageous to think that Jeffrey Saad - who's no Iron Chef, but he knows his way around spices and interesting flavor profiles - is capable of defeating the Great and Powerful Marcus Samuelsson?

I hate the notion that the NFNS also-rans are just canon fodder. Maybe they are. I still don't like that it's a foregone conclusion that they can't win. Unless we're talking about Penny, but then I didn't think she or any of the 4 competitors from her round should have been the representatives from last season's NFNS.

Edited by pez10s, May 7, 2012 @ 8:00 PM.

Redneon

Redneon

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:04 PM

Here's what worried me regarding Penny on last night's show.

We've noticed that she's trying to re-brand herself. Indeed, in her round of Chopped All-Stars, she seemed to have dropped the hot mama persona and used the word "feisty" to describe herself.

Last night, Ted Allen referred to her feistiness. This makes me afraid that *FN* is trying to re-brand her. Heaven help us all.

I think reality TV execs just have it painfully wrong. They think that a "redeemed" contestant is someone the American public wants to get behind and that we find them "inspirational" (see Biggest Loser, The). Or, conversely, they think the American public wants someone they can "love to hate" and that would bring in viewers en masse.

Personally, any show on Food Network, including the competitions, is the last place I want to see manufactured drama or abhorrent personalities. How am I supposed to work up an appetite when the person on the screen makes me want to hack up my dinner???

I think contestants such as Lance and Madison are the ones who keep us viewers coming back. We actually hope to see more of them. Penny, just no.

AloeVera

AloeVera

Channel Surfer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 8:46 PM

Last night, Ted Allen referred to her feistiness. This makes me afraid that *FN* is trying to re-brand her.

Maybe they are thinking about it, though I just can't see how. If she'll have her own show, who is she going to be "feisty" with? herself? the audience? And she really is so into herself, no way she can be a teacher, which after all, is what a cooking show is all about.
And how many times can she use the very same spices/lemon zest/olive oil/whatever other ingredients she's been using again and again - and still maintain she's so original and special?

Either way, if she will end up with her own show, that's not something I or anyone I know will want to watch. And yes, by now other channels are giving a better schedule then the endless re-runs on FN, so they really need to start getting their act together, and imho Ms. Penny is not the answer.
On the other hand, the last few new shows - that weird "Sweet Genius", or that guy who spies on restaurant staff with hidden cameras, for example - do not exactly show that somebody out there knows they're doing... So all is possible, unfortunately.

I didn't think she or any of the 4 competitors from her round should have been the representatives from last season's NFNS.

Absolutely. There was no reason to bring back the very same people they've decided to take off the screen for one reason or another. I'd understand it if they'd brought back some winners, or even the runners-up, but not the ones who were let go earlier then that.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 11:26 PM

The fact that they brought back loud-mouth Penny and frat boy Chris, easily the two most annoying contestants from last season, shows how completely clueness the FN brass are. I'd like to think that they maybe asked some of the more likeable (as well as more capable) contestants, who chose not to participate. But I suspect not. FN is all "personality," with personality defined as anything that makes someone memorable, even if it's in a negative way.

Someone else mentioned that FN likes the redemption arc, and we must've been told 5 times on the NFNS Chopped episode how much Chris has matured, and what a great guy he is now that he's all chilled out. Gak. He's still the some dim bulb with an overinflated opinion of his limited skills. When he exited saying "you haven't heard the last of me" I took it as threat. (Could the FN folks be so deluded that they would even consider giving him a show, trying to appeal to the Guy Fieri slob demographic?)

Mama's Boy or Vic Vegas or Vic Mo or whatever he's calling himself this week doesn't bother me that much, but I also could've lived without seeing him again so soon. As will as being reminded about his dead mama watching over him from heaven. Save that stuff for the Sunday morning religious shows.

Edited by Northwester, May 7, 2012 @ 11:32 PM.

Watt DeFark

Watt DeFark

Couch Potato

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

Last night, Ted Allen referred to her feistiness

Well, in Ted's defense, he could hardly have said "Christ on a cracker, Penny, you are a hardcore bitch". Probably what he was thinking, though.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 7:31 AM

Well, in Ted's defense, he could hardly have said "Christ on a cracker, Penny, you are a hardcore bitch". Probably what he was thinking, though.

I would never delete it off my dvr if this happened.

charmgirl

charmgirl

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 8:41 AM

But that sort of underscores my point - shit happens, and Marcus could've made a mistake on par with Michael's. Do I expect him to? No, of course not.

Does this mean the NFNS cooks shouldn't have been in the competition?... or that Marcus didn't try hard enough to lose.

I don't believe it was a forgone conclusion that Marcus was going to win. IMO that diminishes the complexity and quality of Marcus's dishes. After all, the judges put aside their bias long enough to send Michael home for leaving off those chips.

Based on Michael's reputation alone, the judges could easily sent Penny home as the one judge suggested. If that hadn't happened Penny would have been gone... and Michael and Marcus would have likely faced each other in the dessert round.

If that's how the scenario had played out, I could understand the argument that no way was Jeffrey going to win. But, the fact that Marcus didn't screw up by serving messy plates, red preserves, skin, bones and blood lines... doesn't add up to the judges deciding ahead of time that he was going to win no matter what.

Sure he could have messed up... but, he didn't. That doesn't diminish his win for me.

schnauzerlover

schnauzerlover

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 9:37 AM

I'm not a fan of Marcus, but agree that once Michael was eliminated the odds of his winning escalated. Penny actually didn't bother me when she competed with Chris, Jason and the third "loser" whose name escapes me now, but her behavior Sunday night defined her role as someone unaware of how she's coming off. If Penny is plotting her responses and attitude, she's certainly not doing herself any favors. I hope this is the last we see of her, but somehow I doubt that. Jeffrey did well until the preserves and I wouldn't have been sorry to see him win. Anne is rapidly losing me -- very disappointing.

Edited by schnauzerlover, May 8, 2012 @ 9:38 AM.

novhappy

novhappy

Video Archivist

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 10:47 AM

In past FN competitive shows hasn't Anne Burrel lost to Michael Symon a bunch of times, or is it another male chef I am thinking of? IF it is Michael Symon that she has lost to a bunch I find it interesting that she is the one who initially says he must be chopped for forgetting an ingredient over Pennys flavorless crap dish.

ObstinantGirl

ObstinantGirl

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:27 AM

Well, crap. I was soooo rooting for Michael Symon to win this. I still can't believe he was the first one eliminated, at which point I was (evil) hoping that Marcus would be off'd second...leaving a Jeffrey/Penny faceoff, with Jeffrey winning. I don't know, I can't abide Penny. She's just obnoxious. And although Marcus was okay during this series, I have found him pretty obnoxious on other shows...so I'm no fan. Jeffrey (and his condescending little winks) rubs me the wrong way, although I keep wanting to like the guy. I just don't. So, dammit, once Michael was ousted - there was really noone to root for. I was mainly rooting AGAINST Penny, the lesser of the 3 remaining evils.

Disappointing.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:36 AM

ObstinantGirl, Jeffrey's winks were kind of weird, made me think of Jane Lynch's character in "A Mighty Wind" for some reason. I still like him a lot, he seems really personable, and his food looked good. One thing I noticed was that the judges all tried not to sound surprised and condescending to him having made it that far. "Wow, Jeffrey's food is complex!" as if they were expecting Lipton Onion Soup Mix otherwise.

gunnerlove

gunnerlove

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 11:50 AM

Oh happy day. I got an extra 40 minutes of sleep when Michael Symon was chopped. I didn't see any reason to subject myself to a second round of Penny.

DollEyes

DollEyes

Fanatic

Posted May 8, 2012 @ 12:11 PM

Delurking with more comtempt for Penny. Her behavior was tacky from start to finish, whether she made a lame joke about how Michael Symon & Marcus Samuellson should be "scared" of her, her underestimating Jeffrey Saad, her barely-contained glee over Symon's elimination, her delusional belief that she beat him or her piss-poor attitude when she was finally eliminated. At least when Michael & Jeffrey were chopped, they not only took responsibility for their actions,they showed class doing so; Penny, otoh, was both a bad winner and a sore loser. As for Penny's supposedly "building [her] brand," between Michael's, Marcus' and Jeffrey's cookbooks, TV shows and/or successful restaurants, they've not only beaten her to it, they're better at it. When it comes to Penny's question about who knows more about saffron, I'll believe an Executive Chef/Chopped judge over Penny anyday.

Especially satisfying was seeing Penny lose the Entree round to Jeffrey, who had skin and veins in his dish, but the judges still liked his better than hers. Penny's shitty behavior on Next Food Network Star and Chopped All-Stars made me glad that she got her ass kicked on both shows. Hopefully, Penny will never darken Food Network's doorway again.

Edited by DollEyes, May 8, 2012 @ 12:17 PM.