Chopped: Junior Varsity Iron Chef America?

• Please log in to reply

7236 replies to this topic

wallybear

wallybear

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

I can't believe Michael Symon left the okra off the plate. WTF Mike. You let Penny make it to round 2! Speaking of witch- her comments after she was chopped illustrate perfectly why I dislike her. "Who knows more about saffron- me or Amanda?" First- I'm betting Amanda Freitag, a renown NYC chef, does, but beyond that- she was eating the dish- if she said it had too much saffron, IT HAD TOO MUCH FUCKING SAFFRON, BEYOTCH. I hope she heard that, LOL. And saying she wanted to have "an empire on this network"- are you kidding me? No one would watch that show- if people want to see tacky, bitchy women there are a half-dozen housewives shows on for that shit.

I like Jeffrey, but once Symon was gone, the only way the judges weren't going to hand it to Samuelson was if he barbequed a puppy.

I love Anne Burrell's show, & I have her cookbook, but I find her bitchy & unlikeable when she appears on these competitive food shows.

Edited by wallybear, May 6, 2012 @ 9:06 PM.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:03 PM

In the last All Stars round, all it took was forgetting an ingredient to get them chopped, so when he forgot the okra, I knew he was a gonner and that's when I thought they wouldn't dare give Penny the win would they? And I was thrilled when she was off next. After that I didn't care who won.

AloeVera

AloeVera

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:04 PM

Few! The arrogance - she wants to bring flavors to the FN that "no one has brought before"... Really.
and "who's the Saffron expert me or Amanda"? Unbelievable.
No matter what she'll do, this woman just can't be loveable.
It was great to see her gone. Hopefully for good this time.

So glad Marcus won. He really had the best dishes, the best attitude and a very important charity. Can't ask for more.

I didn't like Chef Anne as a judge - everything "drives her nuts". Come on...

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

Penny saying that she was standing between Michael and Marcus and that it made the nervous

Well apparently sunbeams shoot out of her ass so, of course those chefs, one considered one of the best in America, the other considered one of the best in the world, would be quaking in their boots. Delusions of grandeur do not even begin to cover her problems.

I am guessing they sent Mike home as a punishment for forgetting an ingredient at his level, which is the only reason I can come up with, because anything else is utter and total nonsense. And even still, it was a bullshit decision. And Apparently it was the two women, Ann and Amanda who decided to cut him for it, because Chris seemed completely on board with tossing Penny in the first round.

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:06 PM

I didn't watch TNFNS so had no impression of Penny before this competition. What a bitch, I was SO happy she got kicked out. She started out the show by saying she was "misrepresented" on NFNS; I can't imagine that now.

I love Michael Simon so was sad that he was out in the first round; they occasionally let a missed ingredient slide if the plate was good, and it sounded like they liked the rest of his starter. But them's the breaks. Once Michael was out it was Marcus's to lose. His dessert looked great.

lnmop

lnmop

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:08 PM

I've grown weary of Marcus winning every.single.competition. in which he participates, especially because it means we have to hear about how each dish was something his Swedish Grandmother used to make. Either crown him the best chef who ever cheffed and retire him permanently from competition or get some judges who haven't had their fill of his Kool-aid. Or,make him cook with one hand tied behind his back, just don't make me watch another show where nobody else has a chance.

OTOH, I'm SOOOOO glad Penny lost.

lillybee

lillybee

Fanatic

FN, please no more Penny ever.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Penny saying that she was standing between Michael and Marcus and that it made them nervous. What a bitch.

I don't think she believed that for a second. Between that and a couple of her other talking heads, I think her intention was to show the viewers how witty she was. Fail.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:10 PM

I wanted to try Marcus' whole dessert and Jeff's ice cream, they sounded so delicious. Once again I think they went easy on them ingredient wise. Where were the pink peppermint taffy and corn flakes in the entree round, come on now.

Did anyone else fondly enjoy the look of horror that crossed Penny's face when she realized that the fish's skin was inedible? I loved how she was gloating over having it in the bag, compared to Jeffery, and he well knew she'd screwed up big time leaving the skin on. Ah, sweet justice.

AwNutz

AwNutz

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:13 PM

Really, Penny? Still blaming editing for the world finding out you're a bitchy hosebeast? What aren't you a self-proclaimed expert in? Middle Eastern food, saffon (and you're not fit to clean Amanda Freitag's knives, you arrogant twat)...And yet? YOU LOST, BITCH. HAH!

jcbrown

jcbrown

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:15 PM

I second that to the nth. Criminy, that woman is annoying, bitchy, unwatchable, and undeservedly cocky. Hate.

Edited by jcbrown, May 6, 2012 @ 9:15 PM.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:19 PM

The groaning was so loud here at Chez Luceval when Michael was chopped. We quickly had to re-align the prediction, which, for round two, stayed the same (Penny GONE, and her saffron with her), and then Jeffrey and Marcus. I was really pleased and surprised that both of them could make their ice cream - on prior Chopped episodes, there was consternation when one contestant ran to the ice cream machine, and the other was planning on using it, but couldn't.

And it truly seemed that Jeffrey was just thrilled to be there in the final round, no matter if he won or not. I do like him and his excitement. I don't think I could be married to it, but it's fun to watch.

lillybee

lillybee

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:24 PM

I also hated the gloating look on Penny's face when Jeffrey was also called out for fish skin.

ellyd

ellyd

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

No surprise here. As soon as Michael was chopped (so sad) I knew that Marcus was there for the win. I almost wanted Jeffrey to win because Marcus almost always wins everything. But I was glad it was ANYONE but Penny!

Shnuglet

Shnuglet

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:42 PM

I love how Penny was so upset at how horribly she was "presented" on TNFNS, and here she came across about equally horribly. At least she's consistent.

Color me surprised that Symon got chopped first. Hey, maybe this is a legitimate competition after all.

Also, I was all WTF, too, when Jeffrey hauled out that hugeass jar of neon raspberry sauce. For color? Just scatter some fresh fruit on there, idiot.

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

But she's building and empire at the Food Network. Did you not get that memo?

I'm trying to remind myself that there is a lot of leading and editing in "reality" tv, but she is awful. What's so bad is that she thinks that it's editing that makes her seem that way.

Happy for Marcus though. Poor Michael. It's bound to happen at some time in his competition career, but I hate that it had to be during this competition for charity.

OrganBuilder

OrganBuilder

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:50 PM

I actually enjoyed Ann Burrell as a judge. The best part is that when she sits at the judge's table, we don't have to see her horrid footwear.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 9:54 PM

Also, I was all WTF, too, when Jeffrey hauled out that hugeass jar of neon raspberry sauce. For color? Just scatter some fresh fruit on there, idiot.

This. If Jeffrey had any real chance of winning, pulling out the premade sauce for his finish killed it. As Chris Santos said while clutching his bald head, "It's a fifty thousand dollar competition!"

And I have no exposure to Anne Burrell, other than commercials for "Worst Cooks In America." When she was introduced, my daughter said, "Oh, she was on '101 Dalmatians'!" Hee!

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

I couldn't believe Michael Symon forgot the okra. I knew he was going home when I saw that, & I was terrified that somehow Penny was going to pull out a win. She's going to be bragging how she beat him now, when he beat himself. The judges even said he wouldn't have been going home if he hadn't forgotten it, so there was a good chance Penny would have been out the first round. She better not start appearing on other shows now, let her go build her empire somewhere else. I'm going to send foodnetwork an email & let them know I don't want to see her again (& what the hell was that meow thing she did at the beginning?) I think everybody should just to stop her from appearing on our screens again.

Jeffrey, why would you use pre made raspberry sauce on your plate? Did you really think that would beat Marcus?

Redneon

Redneon

Video Archivist

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:28 PM

I got all kinds of upset when Penny made that delusional comment about Marcus Samuelsson & Michael Symon being nervous about standing next to her...until I remembered: SHE'S PLAYING A CHARACTER. She knows message boards all over America will be lighting up talking about her, and that's what she seems to want. Someone, somewhere, will see her name mentioned over and over and will (mistakenly) believe people want to see more of her, and might possibly even offer her a show. Maybe even Food Network. Because for some reason I can't fathom, network execs are convinced viewers want to see DRAHHHHMA and not great food prepared by talented chefs in an exciting competition.

I always eat dinner while watching FN because it makes me hungry, but nothing on tonight's finale really made my mouth water except for Jeffrey's noodle salad and Marcus' broth dish. Those two dishes looked delish.

Marcus' charity of choice sounds deserving, so good for him.

Edited by Redneon, May 6, 2012 @ 10:29 PM.

sp23

sp23

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 10:36 PM

Dear Food Network: Please never bring that bitch Penny back for any reason ever again. Gad, she was awful tonight. As awful as she was on NFNS. And no, Penny, it isn't editing that makes you look like a horror. You do that all on your own with your ugly toxic personality. I, too, was terrified she would make it to the dessert round when Michael forgot his damned okra.

My favorite part about tonight, though, was Amanda's glare of death at Penny and her saffron. Beautiful, man. LOL

After she was gone, I was okay with either chef winning since they both had good charities.

Edited by sp23, May 6, 2012 @ 10:40 PM.

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:11 PM

I love Anne Burrell's show, & I have her cookbook, but I find her bitchy & unlikeable when she appears on these competitive food shows.

Agreed. She was the second most annoying woman on the show tonight. Of course, there was a HUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGE gap between her and the # 1 most annoying woman that I've ever seen on the Food Network.

Seriously, FN. Enough of that arrogant toxic bitch. "Who knows more about saffron"???? "I'm an expert in Middle Eastern flavors"????? Delusion bitch needs to learn just an ounce of humility. Does the Food Network thing she's interesting, or do they hate her as much as we do and they're going out of their way to let her make an ass of herself??? Either way, ENOUGH of her.

Jaynut

Jaynut

Channel Surfer

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

I really had a hoot when Penny dissed Amanda Freitag on her way out the door! "Who does she think is the expert on saffron, me or her?" Yeah, right, Penny. Such class - not.

Hopefully this episode will be the last time we ever see Penny Davidi on the tv again.

Edited by Jaynut, May 6, 2012 @ 11:33 PM.

Cattykit

Cattykit

Fanatic

Posted May 6, 2012 @ 11:33 PM

Stupid sow thinks that any attention is better than no attention. Most of us get over that by about age four. She should take a lesson from Jeffrey Saad, who also finished an also-ran on TNFNS, but now has his own show on CC. Which he didn't get by being a braying jackass. She does, however, seem to think that the more outrageous her statements, the more people will pay attention to her, and therefore she says things just for their outrageousness.

I am afraid that Kermit and Medusa may, indeed, think that the drama that is Penniless brings viewers. If so, they would be wrong.

Did the stupid sow actually think she has bragging rights over Mike Symon, when the judges flat out said the only reason he was chopped was because he forgot to put the okra chips on the plate?

Agree with above posters; am getting a bit tired of Anne Burrell, who used to be my odds-on favorite whenever she competed. But she's become such a sore loser and a gloating winner that I don't really want to see her outside of her Secrets show any more. And I'm learning to like Alex and missed having her as a judge tonight.

Northwester

Northwester

Couch Potato

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:14 AM

It's easy to let Penny off the hook by saying that she's only playing a character for the sake of her "TV career," but my bet is that she really is an evil, deluded, bitch who seriously believed that she intimidated two chefs with more experience and talent in their pinkies than she in her whole gross body. And how ridiculous to say that she got bragging rights over Michael Symon, when he got chopped for leaving off an ingredient. (I believe she should have been chopped anyway, but the producers went for the surprise element of having one of the two famous chefs go out in the first round.)

I think that the FN execs are making a serious miscalculation if they believe that because Penny stirs things up with her offensive personality that the public finds her entertaining, or would ever want to see her on a regular basis.

As happy as I was that Penny didn't make the final two, I was even happier that Jeffrey Saad did. It was a reminder of how he got screwed when he lost Next Food Network Store to Melissa d'Arabian. He was always the better cook, and far more knowledgeable about food. And to my mind, the far more appealing personality. I loved how he asserted himself on Chopped All-Stars, while still being very respectful of Michael and Marcus and complimentary of their skills

He's a class act, and probably my all-time NFNS contestant. Just compare how he lost tonight to Penny's bitchy exit. (And it wasn't just the saffron that got her booted. She didn't even know she was supposed to remove the fish skin.)

"I own Jeffrey Saad." Yeah, right.

Good riddance Penny, congratulations Jeffrey and Marcus.

Edited by Northwester, May 7, 2012 @ 1:05 AM.

Darth Nigel

Darth Nigel

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 12:30 AM

What I noticed was that three of the four competitors talked a lot about the food and about the cooking, and some personal notes. The fourth talked a lot about herself and how she was "building an empire" and "had bragging rights"...

Well, the Empire struck back. And there was happiness in our house.

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 1:29 AM

They can call this the Chopped All-Stars Comedy Three-Quarter Hour. (Not so funny seeing Michael chopped.) But after that, we were laughing. Penny's a pill who will never been seen outside of the FN, so easily avoidable for life. But the hoot was Jeffrey (runner up on a cooking game show) v. Marcus (renown chef). Contest? Not really. Although it was amusing to hear the judges try to make it sound close. Jeffrey seems like a nice guy (I agree he was robbed on TNFNS), but his dishes looked like hot messes.

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 3:42 AM

What "expert" on saffron uses as a garnish on each plate like $5 worth and enough to season ten dishes.

CourtneyLove

CourtneyLove

Video Archivist

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 4:26 AM

I don't know this Penny woman, but TPTB really wanted us to hate her. She was just VILE, rejoicing in Michael's forgotten ingredient on an otherwise amazing dish, and her's was horrible. In the words of Madison, she needs to mind her own yard, because it was terrible.

Penny is so clueless, no one ever goes on the food network openly talking about building empires and branding.. you're supposed to pretend to be obsessed with food so that you can inspire people to put down the TV dinners and cook. She's coarse and charmless, so of course she's openly discussing how she wants to use the food network to make money on tv, and that's why she'll never be able to do it.

Moron.

Love Love LOVED! Marcus winning. Of course, it was obvious once Symon left, but it was still a great win. It's funny when the contestants don't realize that the judges count a winner from each round, and ultimately whomever is 2-1 wins, so Jeffry had already lost going into desert. Unless Marcus had delivered the previously mentioned "barbequed puppy" there was no way he could have lost...

katnapped

katnapped

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 7, 2012 @ 5:13 AM

What "expert" on saffron uses as a garnish on each plate like $5 worth and enough to season ten dishes.

There was whats-her-name on Worst Cooks (but she used like a thousand dollars worth...LOL)

Edited by katnapped, May 7, 2012 @ 5:14 AM.