Chopped: Junior Varsity Iron Chef America?

• Please log in to reply

7241 replies to this topic

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:46 AM

While I was watching the show tonight, I think an interesting theme episode would be "same basket items in all three rounds". Not only would it be HILARIOUS to watch them open their baskets in the entree round to see the exact same ingredients, I'd love to watch them struggle to take those things and try to create three different plates.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 1:46 AM

Trader Joe:

WTF Was THAT? Putting a WHOLE CRAYFISH in the freaking BLENDER? That's "IRON CHEF" technique? I will NEVER EVER in a million years eat in Jose Garces restaurant.

That is the MOST DISGUSTING thing I have EVER seen. EVER.

I agree. Ever get a little piece of pistachio shell stuck in your teeth? Hurts like hell, can cut your gums up. That's what I thought of when he said he put the shells in the blender - tiny little shards of shell, waiting to get in between your teeth and gums and cause havoc.

Maverick

Maverick

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 12:40 PM

How can you have a most obnoxious chefs round without including Chef Mumbles? Or maybe heads up a biggest assholes round.

I know there have been at leas two chefs who bled into their food and caused the judges not to try it (Check I Don't Have Cooties! and the guy who pulled his hand out of the blender before it had a change to bleed into it...uh huh). Are the others so there's enough to do a blood themed episode (blood pudding, blood oranges, etc)? I'd say for a try to Kill the Judges episode, but they already did that in one episode with the chefs turning in everything from undercooked meat, to cross-contaiminated vegetables to chermoya seeds. I think that was the episode with Chef Ondrea, who should be included on and obnoxious/pretenious episode.

maggiethebeagle

maggiethebeagle

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 2:08 PM

While I was watching the show tonight, I think an interesting theme episode would be "same basket items in all three rounds". Not only would it be HILARIOUS to watch them open their baskets in the entree round to see the exact same ingredients, I'd love to watch them struggle to take those things and try to create three different plates.

This is a great idea! I'd love to see that.

I was grossed out by the whole crawfish in the blender too. I don't recall ever hearing EVER that all the pieces of the crawfish were a delicacy. Just give me the meat from the inside please.

I was kind of happy to not see Alex & Amanda as judges for this show... They both seem so sleepy. Maybe they were taking a nap.

Holliday

Holliday

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 7:08 PM

I watched the Iron Chef All Stars episode for the first time this afternoon. I enjoyed the show and didn’t find it boring at all - probably because I like Michael Symon very much and enjoy watching him do anything. Also, I like most (translation: all except Arrrrrrron) of the chefs and judges who appeared in this episode so I enjoyed watching the camaraderie among the chefs instead of the sniping.

It bugs me when some chefs on this and other shows sabotage each other either intentionally or passively. If you’re the best (and the judges prefer your flavors) you will probably win. That’s why I loved Michael’s (paraphrasing): “You can have the same ingredients but have an entirely different dish.”

A poster upthread wrote that no one served red onions. I have to disagree. I could swear I saw red onions during the close up of Cat Cora’s dish. I’m sure I’ll watch it again so I’ll have to look out. If there is indeed red onion in that dish, I find it funny that Scott Conant chose to ignore that “sin” and instead focused on Michael’s “cavalier” attitude regarding his plating. I guess they had to nitpick on something.

Food Network Stars Episode:

Color me dumb, I never knew chickens had finger and toe nails. I always thought they were claws.

During the introductions, Ted said Keegan is the owner of a famous restaurant in Denver, Co. Would it have been too much to mention its name?
Then, his “Of course, we’re always moving ahead here…” after Keegan gave a heart-felt description of his charity cracked me up. He seemed a tad bit uncomfortable.

I was surprised that Aarti found the ingredients “gross” (or something like that) and “gnarly.” I thought for sure Arrrrrrrron was going to call her on it. With her Indian heritage, I would think she would have been exposed to unconventional foods Actually, it seems like most chefs, regardless of their heritage, tend to respect different cultures and their food. She didn’t come across as a chef to me. She seemed more like a good home cook.

Finally, did Arrrrrrrrron say he was verklempt? WTF for? He’s too much, that one.

Oh well, it’s Madison time! Guess what chairman, I don’t care what they’re cooking – Madison is the secret ingredient!

Holy Kale! - Just found out Amanda and Lance are sous chefs! Off the the Iron Chef thread!

Edited by Holliday, Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:08 PM.

LivenLetLive

LivenLetLive

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:12 PM

I was so happy to see Jeffrey Saad cooking again, and he won! Saad has real finesse and authority when he cooks, and he is very natural on camera--how he lost NFNS to Melissa d'Arabian is still a mystery to me.

lillybee

lillybee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:21 PM

I think it says a lot about Madison that both Lance and Amanda Frietag are his sous chefs.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:32 PM

Are we talking about Madison in here or the Iron Chef thread? I'm not ashamed to admit that I squealed like a little girl when I saw Lance as his sous chef (and Amanda! She was there for the original Madison/Lance episode, wasn't she, AND Lance's redemption.)

biakbiak

biakbiak

Stalker

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

I don't recall ever hearing EVER that all the pieces of the crawfish were a delicacy. Just give me the meat from the inside please.

I am not saying that shells are good to get in your mouth, but sucking the guts out of the head (which is basically everything) is extremely common and shells would make an awesome stock/sauce so I think it really would have been delicious if he had just put it through a chinoise.

Maybe it's because I live in SF and have visited China on multiple occasions but I was surprised that none of the chefs seemed to have had chicken feet. I am not saying everyone should have tried it, I just always assume that chefs should have adventurous palates and try lots of different cuisines.

Edited by biakbiak, Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:38 PM.

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:36 PM

Madison! And Lance! I'm not ashamed to say I squealed.

I'll be back after the results.

EllieH

EllieH

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 9:46 PM

I think it says a lot about Madison that both Lance and Amanda Frietag are his sous chefs.

And I squealed too (about Chef Lance)! What a classy group, happy to see them helping him out.

lillybee

lillybee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

I think that if there were a contest for favorite competitive reality show person, Madison would win it hands down.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

I've seen Jeffrey's show on Cooking Channel a couple of times and can't stand him. He always feels the need to talk and never stops, find him annoying.

Qui

Qui

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:19 PM

THEY WON!!! I clapped like a stupid seal, I'm not proud.

I like Amanda Freitag way more than I ever did when she first appeared.

Fuzubanu

Fuzubanu

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 10:53 PM

I was glad to see Jeffrey win this round, and for him and Aarti to be here instead of with the "food network star' rejects next week. I definitely think the two of them are a step above the riff-raff who usually competes on that show.

Chicken feet? That's a pretty tough ingredient to work with. There aren't many ways to prepare them that will produce a great flavor, and if you don't go into the kitchen knowing them it's gonna end poorly. We saw that on Top Chef too. Tripe in the second round made me shudder a little too. The contestants this week definitely got some tough proteins.

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted Apr 15, 2012 @ 11:50 PM

I think that if there were a contest for favorite competitive reality show person, Madison would win it hands down.

Ugh, I found him insufferably smarmy. I'd rather see somebody double-dip with a spoon, drink out of a bottle and not wear a hair net than to listen to them talk about how cooking is like making love to a beautiful woman. That arrogance squicks me out more than anything.

I'm glad Jeffrey won. As somebody upthread said, it's still mind-boggling how he lost TNFNS to Melissa. However, I was impressed with how well Marcela did. I'm not that familiar with her, so I really didn't know what to expect.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:11 AM

Small correction. Amanda was listed as sous chef and lance one of the assistants. Still it says a lot that Amanda and Lance comprised his team. Happy to see nice chefs like Lance and Madison doing well for themselves.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:25 AM

Finally, did Arrrrrrrrron say he was verklempt?

OK, if you heard it too, then I guess he actually said it, but since when does he use words like verklempt? I'm surprised he didn't pronounce it verrrrrrrrrklempt.

When I saw the preview for next week, I couldn't believe that Penny Davidi was going to be on. I remember her from The Next Food Network Star, & she was the world's biggest bitch. She got eliminated, & then got brought back to assist someone who was still competing. She was so pissed that she got eliminated that she deliberately tried to sabatoge them by cutting the food so incredibly slow it was obvious to even the judges that she was doing it. When they asked her about it she said something like My work is very precise. The person got eliminated anyway. I'm astounded they want her on another show.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:41 AM

I think that if there were a contest for favorite competitive reality show person, Madison would win it hands down

He gets my vote, for sure. Watching him win ICA last night just solidified his place as my favorite cooking show personality. He needs his own cooking show, and it needs to be alongside Lance. I'd watch that whatever channel it was on.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 6:50 AM

Oh, god, I will be so happy when the Madison and Lance love-fest is over (if ever). Madison was arrogant and way too impressed with his own story, and "cooking is like making love to a beautiful woman" is not only cliched, but squicky.

Lance was cute and humble in the first round he was in, but the thing he's best known for, the more times I view it, strikes me as such a PR ploy for his own awesomeness. The dramatic pause, then, "Wait..." and telling the woman who lost that he'd pay for her ticket to see her grandmother, then he CALLED HER OVER TO HUG HIM, so that she could show the proper gratitude. The poor chef had third-degree burns on her leg, maybe wait until you're off-camera to demand a hug? Nope, not Lance, because if Jesus taught us anything, it's that generosity and humility are best served by telling everybody how generous and humble you are.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

The proteins this week were so much harder than last week's were. Hmmm...Chicken feet and tripe? Surprised that none of them, except Keegan, knew to trim those toenails. I think the Halloween episode this past year featured chicken feet, and I swear Zakarian judged that one too and went into spasms about the toenails.

Someone upthread was surprised about Aarti's somewhat childish reactions to the proteins in the basket. While I think Aarti is talented and a kind person, she was like that during TNFNS. She's very giggly and bubbly, which can get on my nerves after a while. I thought she might have timing issues because she did during TNFNS.

I'm glad Jeffrey won. As somebody upthread said, it's still mind-boggling how he lost TNFNS to Melissa

Because Melissa had a sob story for every occasion and a connection to every challenge, no matter the culture or context. In the ultimate coup, she announced her mother committed suicide during one challenge. I think that was when they were nearing the end of the competition. After that, with dollar signs and faux tears twinkling in their eyes, Susie and Bob had her in their sights as the clear winner. Bobby, not so much, if I recall correctly.

I liked Jeffrey, although admittedly he talks incessantly, but so did Melissa. I was delighted he won Chopped, not because I disliked the others, but because I always thought he was the most talented chef that season of TNFNS. The only thing that would have made his win sweeter is if Melissa had been one of the contestants. I'm sure she was too busy shilling for Hidden Valley Ranch or something similar.

Edited by MsLawDawg, Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:13 AM.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 9:53 AM

I don't care for Jeffery that much & while unfamiliar with Marcela, would have preferred her, but overall it was a neutral episode IMO. I too was shocked at the lack of knowledge with chicken feet & the need to remove the nails or claws. I think of them as claws because my parents have backyard chickens & they act more as claws. I do think these baskets were more challenging than the Iron Chef baskets which makes me hopeful that the NFNS baskets will be more difficult & Penny will be stumped her & she'll be out first.

Fukui San

Fukui San

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 10:49 AM

I can't believe that no one used the pancake mix to dredge the chicken feet to fry it. That would seem to be a natural to me. Three pancakes with pancake mix was a disappointing lack of imagination. The soup was a good idea.

joanne3482

joanne3482

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 11:08 AM

I can't believe that no one used the pancake mix to dredge the chicken feet to fry it. That would seem to be a natural to me. Three pancakes with pancake mix was a disappointing lack of imagination. The soup was a good idea.

Looking at a box of Bisquick, there's a lot that can be done with pancake mix. My favorite actually is to use it to fry chicken (not the feet!).

I thought it was a very difficult set of proteins too. It was probably a good thing the chicken feet were pre-cooked. I think that's one of those foods that takes forever to cook properly. I was grossed out by even the sight of the claws so I'm surprised nobody clipped them off except Keegan.

I love Keegan on food network and got a bit choked up when he was talking about how he's granted wishes of kids who just want to go see Food Network Challenge and how he felt about that. I was a bit sad he didn't do a better showing, but this kind of situation is very different than regular cooking.

I thought Jeff was familiar but I totally didn't recognize his last name and forgot that he was the one who lost to Melissa D'Arabian.

ProfCrash

ProfCrash

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:03 PM

I thought Aarti used the pancake mix to dredge the chicken feet as well as make the pancake?

I was not impressed with last nights Chef's. I don't know any of their shows so this was my introduction to all four Chefs. I found that their food appeared to be boring and filled with problems. They did not strike me as any more creative, skilled, or talented then the normal Chef that appears on Chopped.

I might not be a Chef but I think it would be a no brainer to remove the nails on the toes of the chicken. I know I would not want to eat them so why would you think other people would want to eat them? And the response to the various ingredients struck me as if we were dealing with Chefs who had yet to graduate from high school. "Tripe, ewwww" and "Chicken feet, ewww"

Just not impressed.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:32 PM

was not impressed with last nights Chef's. I don't know any of their shows so this was my introduction to all four Chefs. I found that their food appeared to be boring and filled with problems. They did not strike me as any more creative, skilled, or talented then the normal Chef that appears on Chopped.

For the most part, they aren't; they're just luckier. Also, this really isn't their format, there's no beauty dish for them to wave out of the magical oven, nor a mise en place of ingredients put there by some poor production assistant. I think Keegan worked as a pastry chef before he was an announcer on FN: Challenge and now is a judge on there. According to Marcela's intro, she has experience in the food industry, so she surely has restaurant experience. Her show is on one of those early weekend times. Her food looks good, but like every other show, it has to be a family dinner, girls' night out, etc., with friends and family at the end. I hate those fake skits. But neither of them have cooked on a line for quite some time and I don't think Aarti or Jeffrey ever have. Jeffrey's show is on the Cooking Channel, and Aarti's is on some early weekend time too on FN.

I would argue that we've seen several chefs on Chopped that are better. Just be prepared for next week with the finalists from The Next Food Network Star that didn't win.

I liked Keegan until he became a judge on Challenge and began being overly influenced by Kerry, in my opinion. Last night, I remembered why I liked him. I felt his tears about Make a Wish were sincere.

I have to admit that I love the promo for Chopped with the freeze frame of Chris Santos' face after opening a basket. I don't know what's in there, but his expression is priceless. I can't wait for that one.

jessdvd

jessdvd

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 12:35 PM

Well, that was underwhelming. None of the chefs were particularly outstanding, and after Keegan got eliminated, I pretty much didn't care. Last year's FN show host round had some of the more well-known and liked (or love to hate, in some cases) hosts on FN, and this year's was people who are not quite so popular. I can think of at least 3-4 FN hosts who are more popular or at least well-known and would have probably been more interesting to watch.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 1:10 PM

I have to admit that I love the promo for Chopped with the freeze frame of Chris Santos' face after opening a basket. I don't know what's in there, but his expression is priceless. I can't wait for that one.

This. I usually dvr these shows, so when this appears, I pause it, much to the giggling glee of my daughters, who watch with me. They know I love Chris Santos, so this is especially funny to them. I can't wait to see what's in the basket, either. And who knows if that's from the first, second, or third round?

Actionmage

Actionmage

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:12 PM

Re: Chicken feet talons/claws- After Keegan...chopped... his off, why didn't the others? Even after their prep, get some knife or scissors or something and remove that bit? I understand things are highly pressured, time is quadruply fast-seeming, but it wasn't like the the judges were especially whispering about the claws. Jeffrey even kinda shouted out about that.

IA about the sameness to many of the dishes.

I was rooting for Marcela, after Aarti, and found myself disappointed because she had mentioned doing a cream of some sort for the dessert, so when she plated, I was expecting a bowl for this pudding/creme thing for the brittle and plantain dish to compliment. What she plated was pretty, but like Amanda(?) said, it seemed like it was missing a main component.

lillybee

lillybee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 16, 2012 @ 3:58 PM

I think it would be quite funny to have Sandra Lee on this show. She might have a hard time, especially since a sllllow cooker would not work.