Chopped: Junior Varsity Iron Chef America?

• Please log in to reply

7236 replies to this topic

FriedButter

FriedButter

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:49 PM

The Iron Chefs episode was quite dull and lacked reall competitive energy imo.

I agree completely. It was a snoozer for me and I agree with the posters that said the ingredients weren't much of a challenge.

I got really annoyed with Cat Cora announcing every 5 minutes that it was her charity and she started it. Yes dear, we get it. You're a wonderful human being and should be showered with gold dust and moonbeams.

But the most boring part was the "criticism" from the judges Ė it was just so tiring to see how afraid they were to pass any real judgment and how they kept praising dishes that on a regular episode would be criticized heavily.

So true. And it will probably be even worse for the Chopped Judges episode. Maybe we'll get some real judging for the NFNS and the FN Hosts episodes.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:19 PM

Maybe we'll get some real judging for the NFNS and the FN Hosts episodes.

I can see the NFNS episode actually having some valid critiques, but I could see them cutting the FN hosts some slack, though not as much as the kid gloves treatment the Iron Chefs got. With Chris and Penny from the NFNS running around and acting the way they did on NFNS, I can see Zakarian blowing a gasket.

Hasn't Sanchez competed against some of those people on other shows and lost, lost, lost? I don't see him as qualified to pass judgment, plus if he says "unctuous" one more time I may scream.

I'm pretty sure that the year he was on "The Next Iron Chef", he was a finalist against Michael Symon, but maybe other posters remember this more accurately. I'm not sure about any others. Good observation on the "unctuous" usage. It's like some of the judges get fixated on some big word and find a way to weave it into every critique, like the usage of the word "felony" that Alex is so fond of. She also likes "egregious". My favorite weird word usage was when Zakarian was talking about eating some contestant's shrimp dish where the shrimp were practically raw and he said, "It's like borderline cannibalism."

nique

nique

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 2:32 PM

I'm sorry this isn't in regards to the all stars episodes from yesterday but my DVR caught the Nasty McNasty episode. The one with the female chef that cut her finger and tossed the citrus salad with her bloody hand.

I do not think I will ever forget her face. Bllleeeccch.

Nutjob

Nutjob

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 3:44 PM

I'm pretty sure that the year he was on "The Next Iron Chef", he was a finalist against Michael Symon, but maybe other posters remember this more accurately.

IIRC, Aarrrrrrron finished fourth that season, behind Symon, John Besh, and Chris Cosentino.

EllieH

EllieH

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:02 PM

There is a loooooong lead time on Chopped, for some reason. The 2011 Thanksgiving episode was taped a full year in advance.

That may be a Food Network thing, in general. I know a guy who was on Food Network Challenge, his episode was filmed about 8 months before it aired.

This wasn't the best episode ever (and I agree with the comments about the ingredients being too easy!) but it was fun and I liked seeing the Iron Chefs. Symon is entertaining to watch and he had a better charity story, so it seemed obvious he would win by the last round.

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

Chris wasn't even that good of a chef and Penny was just had the worst personality (not that it matters that much for Chopped). I would have rather seen Susie or Whitney.

I would've been much more interested to see some "finalists" from other seasons, like Tom Pizzica (sp?) or even Herb. I didn't like Herb very much, but I'd rather see him win the entire All-Stars competition than to see Penny even make it past the appetizer round.

Whitney would've been a much better choice, because at least she could cook - which is a lot more than I can say for Chris or Vic.

Edited by pez10s, Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:29 PM.

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 4:38 PM

Hasn't Sanchez competed against some of those people on other shows and lost, lost, lost? I don't see him as qualified to pass judgment, plus if he says "unctuous" one more time I may scream.

I wonder if that's part of why he held back on criticism- to avoid seeming bitter that he's not an Iron Chef, that he lost to one of these guys.

I agree that this was a really bland episode, and I think it was a bit predictable. Was Symon's the only IC record they showed?

I'm a little disappointed to hear this may have been filmed a long time ago, because I was taking it as a sign that Aarti is still with FN. Haven't seen her around in awhile, and I liked her. It makes sense to me that they'd film a ton of episodes and air them slowly (I vaguely remember reading they ordered a huge number of episodes after the initial run). Probably saves money, because you can shut down production for a long period of time and still have new product; and I think to some extent it protects helps the quality, at least initially, because you'll have more episode filmed before contestants are fully aware of the show, how it works, and how they can possibly leverage it for fame/money.

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 5:33 PM

You know, when they showed the queso fresco, I thought, "Aaron is going to say something about it," and of course he did. Just once, I'd like the Mexican ingredient to not be something Aaron likes.

grisgris

grisgris

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:19 PM

Aarrrrrrrone was also practically doing backflips over the black beans as well.

I was certain that Michael Symon would win. I didn't care. I liked him and I liked Cat Cora, but you know it's going to be a cold day in hell before a woman wins. I already think the finale will be between MS and whoever wins the Chopped judges show.

Is Mark Forgione part Native American? Is that why he wears an outdated mohawk? His going on and on about feeding them was as annoying as Cat Cora's crowing about HER charity.

During the entree' round, I had conflicting thoughts about CC. Part of me thought she THOUGHT she was being sly by downplaying the gouda and playing up to SC's disdain of cheese and seafood. Another part of me thought she suddenly decided, "I'm outta here. It's easier just to write a check" and just did the minimum, so she'd get "Chopped" early. I think some of the ICAs were thrown by being on their own and not having the advantage of at least having some clue as to the mystery ingredient.

I noticed that NONE of anybody's dishes included red onions.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 7:36 PM

The All Stars reminded me of the firemen, in that they were given easier ingredients, and at the end, the revered long-termer was the winner, over the upstart. Down to the same charity, "Autism Speaks." When it started I knew Symon would win. I knew when the one chef started grinding his crawfish shells up in his sauce, he'd be chopped.

NicoleMN6

NicoleMN6

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 8:35 PM

The entree basket was too easy, considering that it was largely ingredients common to Greek cooking, which all three chefs had in their background. Also, it's trahaNA not traHAna!

JLHSmurf

JLHSmurf

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:39 PM

It's too bad that Chris Santos wasn't there to whine about both Symon and Forgione drinking straight from the rum bottle. "There's just one thing that really bothers me..."

This is the only reason that I came to this board. Gross! And this show is usually one of the best about kitchen etiquette. The only thing that I can think is that the footage was aired out of order.

But, yeah. This was a snoozefest. Next Iron Chef has always been too clinical and technical to me and it showed. The only thing that made it interesting were the crazy ingredients on the original show. Without having people who are used to having their own show or people with an interesting sob story, Chopped is dull.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 9:45 AM

What a disappointment.
I was expecting this "ALL STAR" episode to be tougher. The ingredients were too easy, they didn't get anything that took a lot of prep - like other episodes where chefs spend half the time pulling bones out of a fish, or butchering a large piece of meat. And no weird ingredients that are nearly impossible to conceptualize in a certain course. Whoever picks the ingredients for the baskets - were they intimidated by the Iron Chefs?

And then TWO chefs take swigs directly from the bottle - not just pouring a little rum in their mouths, Symon clearly had his mouth on the bottle. An offense, no FELONY, that would have chefs on an "ordinary" episode eliminated, along with an implication that the chef is a drunk and/or irresponsible, along with the egregious "giving the profession a bad name". But these guys are IRON CHEFS, so I guess nobody is going to object.

All in all, the episode was boring, and most viewers could have predicted in the first three minutes who was going to win.

Shnuglet

Shnuglet

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 12:41 PM

I'm on board for being let down by the boringness of this one. It was such a giant lovefest among the judges, contestants and, apparently, producers, that there was none of the usual down-and-dirty critiques or frantic suspense in the kitchen, with chefs not sure what to do with an ingredient, failing at some attempt with one and having to recover, or rushing to beat the clock. Symon had one plate that didn't look picture-perfect, that was about it--and so what, since he won. Add to it that they were all constantly praising each other as geniuses and saints. Snoooore.

And yeah, TWO of them slugging rum directly from the bottle without any comment from the judges? Is someone in the next round going to bleed into a salad and they'll declare it a fabuous new flavor profile?

floretbroccoli

floretbroccoli

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:22 PM

Of late the judges really have been dinging contestants who don't "repurpose" the food. I don't know, then, if that particular criticism was being used so much when this round of AllStars was filmed. Because the appetizer and entree rounds had food that looked and sounded good, but pretty much were just throwing the ingredients together well, not using them in interesting and original ways.

I most enjoyed the dessert round, since they did much more real cooking.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:41 PM

IIRC, Aarrrrrrron finished fourth that season, behind Symon, John Besh, and Chris Cosentino.

Thanks, nutjob! I remembered Cosentino, but I couldn't remember if Besh v. Symon was on Aaron's season. In any event, Aaron was whiny on that, just as he was on the short-lived Chefs v. City with him and Chris Cosentino. Poor Chris had to do the physical stuff, because Aaron was always hurting himself running, skating, etc., and ironically, it seemed to me that Chris had to eat the hottest portion of something spicy if that was the challenge.

Was Symon's the only IC record they showed?

I think so, and I think it was repeated, maybe more than once. To me, that was like making it a foregone conclusion he would win. The best thing is that his braying laugh was limited. I like him, but not his laugh.

In my opinion, it seems like the lesser known charities that the ICs were competing for, especially Cat Cora's, may suffer from the opposite effect intended. By the chefs' repetition of what they were and their purpose, which I'm sure was producer-induced, the viewer was sick of hearing about them, which is a shame, because I'm sure their intentions are very good.

I think the Chopped Judges round will be even easier for the competitors. Last season, when Ted announced who was chopped, it was almost like a black curtain came down and everyone burst into tears.

novhappy

novhappy

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 1:55 PM

"Another part of me thought she suddenly decided, "I'm outta here. It's easier just to write a check" and just did the minimum, so she'd get "Chopped" early."

Agreed! I think it was clear she made the decision to get out.
In fact she practically said so...

Streya

Streya

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 6:11 PM

"I either want to win -- or go home first." Michael Simon

I love that man.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:04 PM

Can we put Frank on the All-Chopped Most Obnoxious Bus, please? I was only half watching the show tonight and so didn't care much one way or the other about Missy, but wanted her to win just to get him knocked down a few pegs. For a "chef of integrity," he was quite the sore little loser, wasn't he?

Mystery

Mystery

Fanatic

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:47 PM

He was so obnoxious. There was no reason for him to tell Misty that the pastry chef could easily have knocked her out. I thought this episode really telegraphed the finale being between the oldest and youngest chefs. They barely squeezed in why the first chef wanted the money before he was booted.

This is the first time I remember only one chef saying what he'd do with the money.

I thought it was interesting that Misty got her profession from the international nannies who raised her.

Eta I don't remember if it was Misty or Missy.

Edited by Mystery, Apr 10, 2012 @ 10:58 PM.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:23 PM

I feel like a Garces apologist, but his restaurants are in my city and his charity steams from a hospital located in a really bad area of the city called the badlands.I used to work at that hospital and while Children's hospital gets more national attention, they are doing really good work as well. I've been to a few of Garces restaurants and the food is really good. So I was kinda rooting for him. The thing is he has no charisma as a tv personality.

Symon on the other hand as far as I can tell, is the only IC actively cooking on a nearly daily basis between his restaurants and his gig on The Chew. Also compared to the other IC he has the better track record. I was pretty sure that he would win and even more so when he said he didn't want to go in the middle.

I have to see who his other competitors are, but at this point I won't be surprised if Symon walks with the whole shebang.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 10, 2012 @ 11:43 PM

I second the motion to put Frank on the bus. Holy crap he just couldn't shut up about himself. He truly believed everyone was beneath him. Little Missy really, really didn't get much support growing up did she. I only say that because she mentioned it once, maybe twice. And, because I'm 12, I laughed out loud for real when she talked about balls being everywhere.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 12:03 AM

Oh how happy I am when the douche loses. So glad Frank was chopped.

backformore

backformore

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

I thought Chef John probably went in with the plan: "Whatever is in the basket, I'll make a fritter out of it." I bet he had a plan for the next two courses too.
Chef Frank was a jerk, and his dessert pasta looked like hell. He was rude to Missy, made it clear he did not expect her to get to the end, really dismissed her skills.
I don't get pasta being "roasted but raw." When I roast something, it's no longer raw.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 2:39 AM

What an ass Frank was, "I wash my hands of it". glad you lost asshole. Poor little Missy, unloved & unsupported by her mommy & left to be raised by nannies. Good thing she found a new chef daddy to love & teach her oooking.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:02 AM

I was afraid to watch the last round because I was so afraid that Frank would win, so I turned it at the last minute and found Missy (Misty?) standing there and I let out a cheer. Frank definitely belongs at the front of the All-Obnoxious Chef bus along with Chris 1, Chris2, Malik, and Tryg and probably a few more I've forgotten.

Rammchick

Rammchick

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 8:27 AM

Isn't it great when the arrogant jerk loses? I actually shouted when Frank's dessert was revealed.

Puds38, Garces is a local to me as well, and I've eaten at Distrito. He strikes me as a great guy who should've never won TNIC ;)

xingcat

xingcat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 9:38 AM

That "dessert pasta" just made me shudder. A big lump of unadorned, cooked pasta sitting underneath a dollop of cream? Ick. I thought Misty's brittle looked terrific, and I really liked her attitude, even if the "Mom was a surgeon and my nannies from all around the globe trained me to love food" schtick was a little weird. Plus, doesn't she work for someone who just won Chopped recently?

needschocolate

needschocolate

Fanatic

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:27 AM

What was the joke Aaron made?

He asks where the eggplant croutons are and Frank says they are at the bottom (under the meatballs and polenta and sauce), then Aaron says something that sounds like "Would they be good for my back?" and everybody has a nice little chuckle. Huh?

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Apr 11, 2012 @ 10:42 AM

Wasn't that because the bed of rice under the meatballs was referred to as a futon? I didnít quite catch it either, but that's what I understood.