Chopped: Junior Varsity Iron Chef America?

• Please log in to reply

7236 replies to this topic

LindenAtwood

LindenAtwood

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 12:31 PM

I only know of fenugreek as a supplement nursing women take to (supposedly) boost their milk production. It makes you smell like maple syrup.

phoenix780

phoenix780

Fanatic

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 1:39 PM

I thought I heard Ted say something in one of the previews or on the show that made me think that the viewers had picked some but not all of the mystery baskets' items, but I could have totally misinterpreted that.

I was confused, because initially it seemed like the viewers picked everything. Then during the entree round I think Ted repeatedly indicated that the viewers picked "some" of the basket items. In dessert, it was back to seeming like viewers picked all 4.

I agree that it was a lackluster episode in general, although I appreciated the judges pushing for creativity and then rewarding successful execution of the basics. I have no idea why the guy who won actually took home the prize.

whee whee piggy

whee whee piggy

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 5, 2012 @ 11:42 PM

I thought the same thing about the "soul food" comment, but didn't know if I was reading too much into it because I already disliked Ian.

The more I think about it, the madder I get. There's been plenty of chefs on the show who do specialize in soul food and it's been obvious from what they prepared. Ivan did not prepare soul food. Plus, you know, he's not actually African-American but a Haitian of African descent. If Ian had bothered to listen to him, he could have heard that. Plus plus two, last year's overall winner (Danielle?) specialized in soul food and it did pretty good for her.

Putz. Must be from Anchorage.

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 1:02 AM

Team #2: All men: Alton Brown, Scott Conant, Jeff Mauro, Aaron McCargo (or anyone else you want - men are harder to come up with - - maybe Guy F.- - that's up for discussion

You could always mine the Top Chef alum. Obvious choices being the Volt bros and Blais. Personally I'd love to see Hung and this year's winner, Paul Qui. Another male chef, who is not an Iron Chef; Govind Armstrong (my tv boyfriend).

I also don't think some of the ladies mentioned are cut out for Chopped. Ina is far to laid back to survive the hectic, timed rounds. I remember a battle where Rachel Ray and Giada assisted the IC's. Rachel who is a bit hyper herself seemed to be having a blast, whereas I thought at one point Giada was gonna cry. Ina's and Giada's aren't cut out for CHOPPED.

davout1806

davout1806

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 9:12 AM

I agree TOTALLY that Ina G. and Giada D. are not cut out for Chopped, but that's the point, I want to see them "as the Chopped judges always say" be forced out of their comfort zone and into doing something different. That's one of the things that FN is guilty of: protecting their "ratings" makers and asking them to do nothing but their sheltered and much lacking cooking shows. I'm sure some of these women have contracts that allow them to pick and choose what they will appear on, but I think that's what FN and the "chefs" need, especially ones like Ina and Sandra who are so out of contact with reality. Of course, since the filming would be done in NYC, Ina might not want to leave the Hamptons so that could be another factor.

As another suggestion, I think the All Obnoxious All-Star Chefs teams would draw big ratings, but after seeing Chris on the same redemption rerun again last night, I am convinced that he has got to be right at the top for all obnoxious, along with Malik. Every time I see that (why do I punish myself?), I am amazed at his truly obnoxious and immature behavior. I wouldn't want to go to any restaurant where I knew he was cooking.

The other person I was amazed at was the woman who "nicked" herself, couldn't get her glove on and then went ahead and hand tossed her salad, and then was amazed that she was chopped for that!!!! Heavens!

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 12:56 PM

I agree TOTALLY that Ina G. and Giada D. are not cut out for Chopped, but that's the point, I want to see them "as the Chopped judges always say" be forced out of their comfort zone and into doing something different. That's one of the things that FN is guilty of: protecting their "ratings" makers and asking them to do nothing but their sheltered and much lacking cooking shows. I'm sure some of these women have contracts that allow them to pick and choose what they will appear on, but I think that's what FN and the "chefs" need, especially ones like Ina and Sandra who are so out of contact with reality.

Good point. The instant that Ina had to work with scrapple or "spiced ham", she would flip out, whereas Sandra Lee would be tickled pink. Bonus for Sandra if there was bottled dressing or a seasoning packet. (Any kind of booze whatsoever in the basket would be consumed for her "Cocktail Time" and would never make it in the dish.) And how could Ina be assured that the vanilla beans or extract were imported from Mexico and of good quality?

The other person I was amazed at was the woman who "nicked" herself, couldn't get her glove on and then went ahead and hand tossed her salad, and then was amazed that she was chopped for that!!!! Heavens!

That "bloody glove" woman just kills me! She even says something like, "What's a little blood on a plate?" I can't remember if she owned a restaurant or was a caterer, but I don't think her appearance helped her business, whatever it may be!

There's been plenty of chefs on the show who do specialize in soul food and it's been obvious from what they prepared. Ivan did not prepare soul food. Plus, you know, he's not actually African-American but a Haitian of African descent. If Ian had bothered to listen to him, he could have heard that. Plus plus two, last year's overall winner (Danielle?) specialized in soul food and it did pretty good for her.

Another great point--I think that's why his throwaway comment bothered me as it did. It was as if he didn't know or care to know 1) anything about his competitor or 2) what "soul food" even means. Danielle did specialize in soul food that looked much better than anything Ian put on his plate, even in the dessert round. One of the reasons I enjoy "Chopped" is seeing the different aspects of regional cooking, both inside and outside the United States. In my opinion, if you are as wonderful a chef as Ian seemed to think he was, you need at least some passing familiarity with regional cuisines of the United States. Oh well, yet another contender for the Most Obnoxious Chef.

Bleeding Love

Bleeding Love

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 2:43 PM

I was so confused when I saw a redemption rerun last night with someone named Chris, because this board has Chris on the All-Obnoxious All-Star Bus (love that!) and the only Chris I remembered was the one chopped first in the Lance/Yoanne redemption, the one that had two smashingly successful restaurants with six stars in the Boston Globe. There are two obnoxious men named Chris?

Puds38

Puds38

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 3:14 PM

Another great point--I think that's why his throwaway comment bothered me as it did. It was as if he didn't know or care to know 1) anything about his competitor or 2) what "soul food" even means. Danielle did specialize in soul food that looked much better than anything Ian put on his plate, even in the dessert round. One of the reasons I enjoy "Chopped" is seeing the different aspects of regional cooking, both inside and outside the United States. In my opinion, if you are as wonderful a chef as Ian seemed to think he was, you need at least some passing familiarity with regional cuisines of the United States. Oh well, yet another contender for the Most Obnoxious Chef.

YES! To all of this. Ian made one revolting looking plate of food after another, yet felt he had room to throw shade at his competitors food.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 4:33 PM

Yes, there are two obnoxious Chrises. I've only seen Redemption Chris 1 (Yoanna/Lance), and agree that he is obnoxious. I've not seen his original episode.

However, Chris Burke (or Chris Jerk as we say in my house, my daughters hate him too) is the king of obnoxious. He doesn't actually cook in a restaurant, right? He's a private chef? It's probably because he's such an ass that no restaurant will keep him. Imagine if someone sent something back to the kitchen. "Were your noodles cooked properly? Did you enjoy everything else? You ate everything else."

kittykat

kittykat

Fanatic

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 7:15 PM

Word word word. I do remember the other Chris being obnoxious but he pales in comparison to Chris Burke.

Excited for IC all-star round. Trying to decide who to pull for between Symon and Cora as I like both equally. Nothing against Garces and Forgione but the other two are more interesting to watch.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Apr 6, 2012 @ 8:41 PM

OMG. Just watched a reun with Scott, Chris, and Marc as judges. Yum. One of the contestants, who they seemed to spend a lot of time on, comparatively, was a dead ringer for Jon Cryer, down to the neurotic talking to himself. He did not win, didn't make it to the final, which made me wonder why they were spending so much time interviewing and watching him. My dvr says the episode title is "Green Apps and Lamb," from 2010. This was another where the one female chef was eliminated right away (not because she was a woman, but because her food was very lame).

TudorQueen

TudorQueen

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:51 AM

We watched some of yesterday's Marathon of last year's All-Star tournament and damn, that Nate Appleman is a douche. I'd actually forgotten how awful he is.

Neeney

Neeney

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 1:45 PM

that Nate Appleman is a douche. I'd actually forgotten how awful he is.

i'm glad i'm not the only one who thought so. He had a good sob story, but he kept rubbing me the wrong way. UUUGGHHH.

Bastet Esq

Bastet Esq

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 2:20 PM

Is it just me, or are they always in a hurry to chop women?

I have only seen something in the neighborhood of twenty episodes, but that emerged as a pattern early in my viewing; it seems like women are frequently chopped in the second round, and often in situations that lead me to believe the "a woman must work twice as hard to be though of as half as good" double standard is having an influence. I think it's more latent bias than conscious sexist conspiracy, and it makes a sad sense that such an attitude would manifest itself in this program's judging given its pervasive presence in professional kitchens, but it's a frustrating aspect of the show for me.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 4:23 PM

I have watched Chopped for all its seasons, the good, the bad, and the downright ugly, and if you tally up the meals prepared per episode by the four contestants it really evens out. More often than not if a woman has prepared the better meal in a round she will remain up until the dessert round, and possibly go on to win.

I think the numbers are a bit skewed, though, because the majority of chefs who try out and end up on the show are males to begin with, and often they are better chefs, and prepare better dishes, than the females they compete against. You see more men who have run kitchens, owned restaurants, worked with some of the best in the business, and that has to do, I think, with the fact there are so many more men in the business than women to start with. The females who do end up on the show usually aren't the highest quality chefs that could be competing, in my personal opinion, and their dishes usually show that.

I am not saying the majority of the male chefs on the show are some of the best, but compared to the women who try out, or make it, that number is heavily tilted in the men's favor.

There have been a select few who are class acts, like Danielle who beat out 11 other chefs, most male, to be crowned the second Chopped Champion. But overall, in my opinion, female chefs like her just haven't been on the show very often, and that often does lead to the women being chopped early because they've just been the weakest out of the bunch more times than not.

PrincessLuceval

PrincessLuceval

Stalker

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:14 PM

Well, no real surprise on tonight's All Stars. It kind of amused me that the judges were treating the chefs with such reverence.

lillybee

lillybee

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:20 PM

I thought that it was very funny when Kora got chopped for not using enough gouda with the octopus, especially when she said that she didn't like cheese with fish ala Scott Conant.

Edited by lillybee, Apr 8, 2012 @ 9:41 PM.

CPP83

CPP83

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:06 PM

It kind of amused me that the judges were treating the chefs with such reverence

But of course, they were in the presence of the Iron Chefs, all hail, all hail. I thought they went fairly easy on them with the baskets, too. Come on, they're Iron Chefs, give them a Durian to work with with cotton candy or something.

kara2288

kara2288

Loyal Viewer

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:07 PM

It's too bad that Chris Santos wasn't there to whine about both Symon and Forgione drinking straight from the rum bottle. "There's just one thing that really bothers me..."

pez10s

pez10s

Fanatic

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 10:45 PM

It irritated me that Forgione kept saying he was the newest Iron Chef. It's been months since Zakarian won TNIC, so how long ago did they film this competition?

That said, I was rooting for either Michael Symon or Cat Cora, so I was satisfied with the results.

What I'm really going to hate is the re-hash of season 7 of Food Network Star. Those were four of the least likable contestants and now have to be subjected to them again? The only thing that would make it palatable (so to speak) would be if Justin won. He seemed like he had decent cooking skills but no on-screen personality, which would make him a lot more suited to Chopped.

ramble

ramble

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:07 PM

Yea! I wanted Symon to win. I almost always enjoy watching him cook & appreciate his cheerful competitiveness. I have never enjoyed Forgoine so I was quite satisfied. I agree the judges seemed wildly respectful, but I think they feel as though they're in their own peer group, so there's no sense unduly stepping on toes. And my Scott crush is getting stupidly out of hand. What is wrong with me?!

mlp

mlp

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:22 PM

It irritated me that Forgione kept saying he was the newest Iron Chef. It's been months since Zakarian won TNIC, so how long ago did they film this competition?

That really confused me. Forgione won season 3 a year and a half ago. Zakarian won more recently and after the competitors from the upcoming NFNS round. I don't get it.

PhillipKyler

PhillipKyler

Video Archivist

Posted Apr 8, 2012 @ 11:37 PM

We watched some of yesterday's Marathon of last year's All-Star tournament and damn, that Nate Appleman is a douche. I'd actually forgotten how awful he is.

Yeah, he really was awful, yet I was happy he won. My brother had the same kawasaki disease his son had when he was younger. So I'm glad he brought awareness to it.

Miss Steph

Miss Steph

Couch Potato

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:16 AM

I love Michael Symon's laugh.

What I'm really going to hate is the re-hash of season 7 of Food Network Star. Those were four of the least likable contestants and now have to be subjected to them again?

Seriously. Chris and Penny? Ugh. I'm okay with Justin because I remember him being talented, but just not great in front of the camera. Chris wasn't even that good of a chef and Penny was just had the worst personality (not that it matters that much for Chopped). I would have rather seen Susie or Whitney.

Ginandtonic

Ginandtonic

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:50 AM

It's too bad that Chris Santos wasn't there to whine about both Symon and Forgione drinking straight from the rum bottle. "There's just one thing that really bothers me..."

THIS. If they were just regular contestants, somebody would have ripped them a new one, but because they're Iron Chefs it's OK? What else did they do that we weren't shown that's disgusting?

scarlet1815

scarlet1815

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 1:52 AM

That really confused me. Forgione won season 3 a year and a half ago. Zakarian won more recently and after the competitors from the upcoming NFNS round. I don't get it.

There is a loooooong lead time on Chopped, for some reason. The 2011 Thanksgiving episode was taped a full year in advance. When I saw that they didn't mention Zakarian's having joined The Pantheon, I figured this must've taped (at minimum) before the TNIC finale.

MsLawDawg

MsLawDawg

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 10:18 AM

I saw Forgione take a swig, but I missed Symon. (I was in and out of the episode, so I look forward to a rerun). When not a remark was made, I thought, well, maybe it's another bottle from the pantry or something, but no! Zakarian would have reemed them a new one if they were not IRON CHEFS. It's not like the last All-Stars when Robert Irvine had a messy station (and admitted it) and one of the judges (maybe Santos, maybe Zakarian) called him on it. I don't like that kind of behavior at my house, drinking out of the carton and such, much less from a chef. Ugh. I also agree that the baskets weren't particularly hard (not anything like Viewers' Choice). As for the Cat Cora seafood and cheese comment, it looked like Conant wanted to say something and just shut up.

What's so bad is that he was even worse on The Next Iron Chef. But his charity was a worthy one.

There are two Chrises on the Most Obnoxious Chef Bus, as PrincessLuceval stated. The Chris that was in the Redemption round with Yoanne and Lance was the guy who looked like the other kids kicked sand in his eyes when he was a kid. He was the one who kept droning on and on about his second restaurant opening to a three-star review in the Boston Globe in the Redemption round. In his original episode, Chef Mackenzie won, much to his consternation. He commented that Mackenzie wasn't like most female chefs in that she was calm. Grrr. He just droned on robotically there about his beautiful wife, his wonderful house and his being a restauranteur at such a young age in his first show. He's almost pitiful, but too obnoxious to be pitied. He has dark hair and looks the part of an obnoxious geek, not a lovable one. Second Chris was shorter and blonde and the one who grilled all the judges on both episodes about their decisions. He just seemed over the top narcissistic. Why they picked him to "redeem", I have no idea. I guess there has to be a jerk to root against in the Redemption episodes.

AloeVera

AloeVera

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:51 AM

The Iron Chefs episode was quite dull and lacked reall competitive energy imo.
Though it was quite funny to see the Iron Chefs struggling with no assistants, not really knowing the kitchen - and no previous idea of the "secret" ingredient – like they do on Iron Chef.

Of course all demonstrated good cooking techniques, but the basket ingredients were hardly challenging - definitely not compared to other episodes; no butchering was required, no bones to take out, no out of the ordinary ingredients. The producers sure made life easier on them…

IMO none of them made anything that looked amazing or highly creative. And I found it strange that an Iron chef said he "likes a bit of shells in his vinaigrette"… I doubt he'd keep a chef who thinks like that in one of his restaurants. He'd be much better off if he addmitted he did it for lack of time, then try to justify it.

But the most boring part was the "criticism" from the judges – it was just so tiring to see how afraid they were to pass any real judgment and how they kept praising dishes that on a regular episode would be criticized heavily.

Guess it's best to stick with the regular episodes on Tuesdays…

Edited by AloeVera, Apr 9, 2012 @ 11:52 AM.

slowpoked

slowpoked

Fanatic

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:24 PM

Not only Santos, but how about Zakarian not bitching about that portion size during the entree?! None of those plates looked like an entree to me! They were all just one little portion in the middle. Or maybe because those were entrees "iron chef style".

I understand Santos' bitching about a "professional code" for chefs, and that's why those things bothered him, but if "lesser" chefs see this episode, they're gonna be like "to hell with the 'code', those iron chefs do it themselves!

queasy

queasy

Stalker

Posted Apr 9, 2012 @ 12:39 PM

Hasn't Sanchez competed against some of those people on other shows and lost, lost, lost? I don't see him as qualified to pass judgment, plus if he says "unctuous" one more time I may scream.