The Eleventh Doctor: Madman In A Box

• Please log in to reply

317 replies to this topic

TooMuchCoffee

TooMuchCoffee

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 5:53 AM

I've been too sad to post or comment anywhere other than to echo that sadness. I accept that the Doctor regenerates; I knew that Matt Smith would leave one day but it seems too soon. Matt is brilliant and played the role perfectly as you have all pointed out so well.

Taarn

Taarn

Video Archivist

Posted Jun 12, 2013 @ 9:24 AM

And Matt Smith continues to impress me with his chops, the depth of his portrayal, his adeptness at physical humor, and his beautifully expressive face. It's hard for me to imagine now that when I first heard of his casting, I actually thought he was far too young and kinda funny looking.

I thought so too at the announcement but the Doctor is eternal and it really doesn't matter who plays him.  I also understand those who are loyal to THEIR Doctor.  I didn't watch 5 -8 because they didn't feel like the Doctor to me after 4.  

I loved 9 and 10 and could have loved 11 except that Moffat made it the Amy show and now wants to make it the Clara show.  I'm hoping that the next Doctor is SO charismatic that Moffat has no choice but to redirect the show back to the Doctor.

In the end, it's all about the storytelling.

Edited by Taarn, Jun 12, 2013 @ 9:25 AM.

Blue Castle

Blue Castle

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 2:26 PM

Matt Smith posted this very sweet thank you video:

http://doctorwho.tum...from-detroit-to

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 21, 2013 @ 3:51 PM

Aw, bless him! He's going to leave big shoes to fill.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 24, 2013 @ 8:12 AM

Lovely video.

I will miss him.

O2Sean

O2Sean

Stalker

Posted Jun 25, 2013 @ 3:00 PM

I have been amazed by Matt's work so many times in the last few years, his willingness, eagerness to play the darker sides of the Doctor, not simply the teeth-gritting moments of ferocity and anger, but the desolation. The scene in the woods in "Hide" when he is taunting and begging the monster is one of the best acting moments I can remember in all the show's fifty years. I don't think I've ever been so worried for the Doctor's sanity, or felt his sense of loss, as much as I did there. 

In the new show I've sometimes felt like when the Doctor says he needs humans, it's expressed in a patronizing way, like they are his pets. I sometimes want the companion to tell him to go to hell. When this Doctor says it, I genuinely believe he needs them or he will break to pieces. It's heartbreaking.

I just wish Matt Smith received more recognition for his work in the role.

buttersister

buttersister

Stalker

Posted Aug 4, 2013 @ 12:08 AM

One more voice saying kudos to Matt for making me believe he was a 900-year-old alien. Even every goofy thing about him couldn't get in the way of that. There's not enough reference for me to know how well he'll do from here out, but this actor and this role made an indelible impression, imo.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Nov 27, 2013 @ 12:08 AM

After being completely spoiled, in the overindulged sense, by BBCAmerica with all the Doctor marathons, I found myself wanting more, like salted almonds.

Happily found I can access Eleven's adventures and I am falling in love with him and Matt Smith.  Kind of watching things in reverse, after having seen Amy's and Rory's wedding and the Doctor's awful dancing then watching "Closing Time", I am convinced that was Matt Smith being Matt Smith when dancing with the children at the wedding and with them at the toy shop.

GenieinTX

GenieinTX

Fanatic

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 8:13 PM

Have you seen Matt's new muscles? Wow. http://www.geeksugar...ctures-32850748

I've really fallen for Matt as the Doctor during Season 7.  I wasn't totally crazy about him in the beginning, but now I can really appreciate his portrayal.   You can absolutely see 1200 years behind that cute young face.  I'm really sad to see him go. 

Uberlisa

Uberlisa

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 9, 2013 @ 11:21 PM

Well, hello Mr. Smith. Apparently, starring in a violent musical agrees with him.

Matt is a wonderful "face" actor. He can convey so much with just a glance. One of my favorite scenes is from A Good Man Goes to War. When River finally shows up, he is livid. He demands that she tell him who she is. River says, "I am telling you." His face goes from anger to confusion to wonder.

MysticalTime

MysticalTime

Loyal Viewer

Posted Dec 20, 2013 @ 3:07 PM

Throughout series six and seven I completely forgot that Matt was young, it's like he played the ancient alien, old, old man part so well he became grandpa doctor, a goofy grandpa, in a way neither nine nor ten managed. I hope he'll have a solid career as he's definitely one I want to see more of. Especially if he's gonna keep going with the tanning, short hair, and working out he's been doing recently, he looks really good. 

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 1:33 PM

"Raggedy Man, good night".

Matt Smith, you have been a truly exceptional Doctor. You will be missed but you certainly went out on a high.

elle

elle

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 1:55 PM

This

Throughout series six and seven I completely forgot that Matt was young, it's like he played the ancient alien, old, old man part so well he became grandpa doctor, a goofy grandpa, in a way neither nine nor ten managed.

and this

Matt is a wonderful "face" actor.

I why I think it was a waste and a mistake to use "old man makeup" on Matt Smith in the special.  He didn't need it and it was distracting.

I will miss him!

The problem with missing an entire Doctor (shakes fist at cable in general) series and then to catch up quickly is to fall in love with him (Eleven) only to have it all taken away in one day!

Edited by elle, Dec 29, 2013 @ 5:48 PM.

Unusual Suspect

Unusual Suspect

Fanatic

Posted Dec 26, 2013 @ 6:08 PM

So, I have a question. Has the Doctor spent the largest portion of his life in his 11th body? There's a 400 year gap explicitly mentioned between 10 and 11, and 10 is only 900ish years old. Given the timeline of "The Time of the Doctor", it looks like he was on Trenzalore for a few hundred years. This leads to a second question, how many years did each regeneration last?

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Dec 27, 2013 @ 6:41 AM

Eleven was on Trenzalore for at least 300 years before Clara returned the first time. It's not clear how long he was there before Tasha brought her back again, but you also have to remember he took a 200 year break between The God Complex and Closing Time. He's been in that body for a lot longer then we got to see.

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Dec 28, 2013 @ 6:50 PM

Throughout series six and seven I completely forgot that Matt was young, it's like he played the ancient alien, old, old man part so well he became grandpa doctor, a goofy grandpa, in a way neither nine nor ten managed.

It is also a throwback to the first River appearance when she commented that 10 seemed so "young."  He really did seem younger than 11 despite Matt's youth.

RandomMe

RandomMe

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 15, 2014 @ 3:39 PM

After listening to several of my friends gush over this show nonstop for more than half of the last year, and catching an episode of Ten here or there without being much impressed, I finally caved and truly joined the party -- on Christmas Day 2013. (Not the smartest idea I've ever had.) Now, NOW that's way too late, I just have to say how hard my face hit the ground when I fell for the Eleventh Doctor. (Seriously, I think I might have broken something.) Matt Smith is absolutely fantastic as Eleven -- he's everything I would expect out of a 900-year-old (1300-year-old?) alien who still somehow hasn't lost the childlike wonder, joy of life, and commanding presence that would make people want to run away with him. I can't stop watching over and over again, trying to catch every nuance of his performances. I'm always seeing something new, which I know doesn't sound impressive since I just started watching, but there already episodes and scenes that I've watched almost every single day since my Christmas break. And while I'm totally looking forward to the new regeneration -- now that I'm actually paying attention -- Eleven and always will be my Doctor. (Now if you'll excuse me, I've over to go deal with this lump in my throat from.... pretty much every episode where Matt Smith looks like he might break down and cry. The man's a master.)

Aftendor

Aftendor

Loyal Viewer

Posted Feb 19, 2014 @ 6:11 PM

The problem with missing an entire Doctor (shakes fist at cable in general) series and then to catch up quickly is to fall in love with him (Eleven) only to have it all taken away in one day!

Yeah, poor me, too. I had watched some of the Ninth doctor, couldn’t hack  Mickey’s whining nor to some extent Rose’s, watched some of the Tenth but lost track of when it was on, always seemed to miss it, did watch Torchwood, never watched any of Eleven...until Christmas 2013, sigh. Went out on the 26th to buy the DVD’s for the seventh series. Had trouble finding it at first, asked a clerk for help, he initially pointed out the whole package thing, Blu-Ray, with all the doctors, for $300 something. I said, ‘nah, I’m not that big a fan.’ He muttered - ominously - ‘...yet.’

Yeah. I went back a few days later and got the fifth and sixth series. Kinda regret not getting the whole shebang. Anyway, Matt Smith was it, for me. I very nearly missed out.