The Eleventh Doctor: Madman In A Box

• Please log in to reply

317 replies to this topic

Ysu

Ysu

Couch Potato

Posted Mar 12, 2012 @ 2:28 PM

All of which is really, really gross.

I am a woman but I don't find it gross at all. Well, I might find it gross in real life, but not on Doctor Who. It is a bit of silly, fluffy, not to be taken too seriously series for me, one that I greatly enjoy. I seem to miss the big tragedy of River - she has a pretty interesting time while she's in Stormcage. Also I have no problem how Moffat handles women. He creates strong women and weak ones, masculin ones and feminine ones. His male characters also strong or weak, not only one or the other.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Mar 25, 2012 @ 11:15 AM

Think one of the best episodes of S6 is AGMGTW Matts acting is really good. After the big reveal he is stunned, relieved and then excited about his own personal future.

Liked the reference to the kiss in DOTM I allways think of Katy Perrys "I kissed a girl" when I watch it.

Doctor "But that means ..."

River Song "I'm afraid it does"

You know he was thinking "I am such a pervert Rory's going to kill me!"

Seriously thought it a lovely moment between them. Think that was when he finally saw her for what she really is and fell in love with her .

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 1, 2012 @ 2:00 PM

Matt's acting has come leaps and bounds during Series 5 and 6 and I'm sure there will be plenty of moments during Series 7 where he'll excel as well.

We've been lucky to have him as Eleven.

Ysu

Ysu

Couch Potato

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 2:27 AM

Spoiler
is not something he usually does but he will do it for the Ponds because he loves them that much.

I beg your pardon, but this is a spoiler-free topic. I try to avoid all the other topics because I don't want to be spoiled, I only come to the character-topics now and then, because I like to read discussions about my favourite characters. If that phrase in the quote is a spoiler, move it to the spoiler thread. If it is a speculation, move it to the speculation thread. (And please, don't tell me, which was it.) If you already did that, but you feel it is absoulutely necessary to post it to this topic, too, then post it and hide it with spoiler marks, like I did. If you don't know how, ask the moderators, please.

Edited by Ysu, May 5, 2012 @ 2:35 AM.

TWoP Mars

TWoP Mars

TWoP Moderator

Posted May 5, 2012 @ 1:51 PM

I deleted a couple posts in here about things that are coming up in future episodes. If you want to post about spoilers, please do so in the spoiler thread, or use tags. (Because I wasn't sure if these were actual spoilers or speculation, I chose to delete the posts instead of adding tags to them.)

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 9, 2012 @ 8:51 AM

Allmost everyone who meets the doctor falls for him in one way or another. He is sweet in a floopy haired geeky kind of way. Think back to "Turn Left" how different Donnas life would have been if she hadn't met 10. How many lives they saved.11 has also had a big impact on his companions. Got Craig and Sophie together.They get to be happy back on earth raising Alfie.

Imprinted on 7 year old Amy she waited a long time for him to come back. Rory being kind of dragged into it but becoming our brave last centurian.Lorna Bucket had one brief encounter and totally chanegd her life just to see him again. Died bravely at demons run. Thought it clever how her baby gift was used to show Amy and Rory their daughters adult identity as River Song.

Finally River herself brainwashed for years to hate and destroy him. Spends 20 minutes with him and ends up sacrificing her regenerations to bring him back. Amy helped too by showing her daughetr she could be a better person.

Wonder what his new freind will think when she first meets him.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 11, 2012 @ 2:16 PM

Well, whatever happens I can't wait to see Eleven interact with a new companion as well. After the intensity of Amy, Rory and River, maybe a Donna/Craig type of companion is what Eleven needs to travel with at the moment. I'm sure they'll be an interesting pairing.

Edited by darkestboy, May 11, 2012 @ 2:17 PM.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:08 AM

Doctor is his worst critic in 5.7 AC he confronts his "dark side" when it manifests in the form of a dream lord.
Claims only one other person in the universe hates him as much as he hates himself.

Who could that be ? as far as he knows and us fans both the master and Davros are dead so it can't be one of them.

He is scary when he gets angry. Fortunatly it rarely happens. He gets furious and upset only when he has a very good reason.

Wonder how long it will be before he feels that way again. Last time at demons run it ended very badly for both sides.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted May 17, 2012 @ 9:34 AM

I'm getting a sudden urge to rewatch Amy's Choice again now.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 2, 2012 @ 10:23 AM

Rewatched 5.1 TEH love the "fish fingers and custard" scene makes me laugh every time. Plus 11s reaction when he realises the 7 year old he left behind has turned into a fiery grown up kissogram. Also good confrontation with the atraxi. New face but same old doctor his job is and allways will be to defend the people of earth from any threat.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2012 @ 9:24 AM

The Eleventh Hour was definitely the best to debut the Doctor. Probably my favourite opening story for a Doctor, even moreso than Spearhead From Space or An Unearthly Child.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 6:52 AM

Looking back at 6.2 DOTM he massacres the silence asking River to take care of the ones threatning them including the one behind her. Compare that with 10 he hated guns and only used violence as a last resort. One regeneration late he is asking his "wife" to do his dirty work for him.His enemies are right to be scared of him.Got a lot of running and fighting to do in S7.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 11, 2012 @ 7:27 AM

I don't know. I think Eleven hates violence just as much as any of his incarnations have done so in the past. He's just been put into two specific situations where there wasn't another way to be honest.

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Jun 12, 2012 @ 8:31 PM

Not to mention the fact that for all of his dislike of violence 10 managed to do a fair bit of destruction in his day.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 13, 2012 @ 7:19 AM

Yeah, that is the thing with the Doctor. Every incarnation of him (even One and Six) hate violence, yet at times, there's at least one or two scenerios where they resort to it, usually without a choice. No Doctor is unique in that respect.

Peplow146

Peplow146

Loyal Viewer

Posted Jun 15, 2012 @ 9:15 AM

Does anyone else think 11 is going to repeat the mistakes of 10 and continue the vicous circle ?.
Lot has happened since the library. Did he ever think maybe he got sent there for a reason?. To teach him something?. Assume his time line and Rivers does need fixing. Why doesn't just do his job?. He is a time lord and suppose to be the most powerfull and intelligent man in the universe. Also two words Adelaide Brooke. She killed herself because of him. He got arrogant as the "time lord victorious".Instead of saving her from a fixed point he drove her to death because she was so scared of the future being changed.Speaking of fear they claimed at demons run they were after him because they were scared of him what he had become present tense. However it turned out they actully want him dead to prevert something bad happening at a future date.Sadly I think Amy and Rory might be just two more people in a long line of companions he has let down or lost. He can save planets and defeat whole armies but he can't protect his best freinds or their daughter his own wife.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 16, 2012 @ 7:30 AM

River's time is unlikely to be fixed and there's going to be more to Eleven's future than just her. We already know that things like Trenzalore and the 11th are important, though how/when we don't know.

kennyab

kennyab

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 3, 2013 @ 3:54 PM

Continuing a conversation from the 2012 Christmas Special thread

I think Clara would be an amazing Companion if she's a barmaid from 18th century or a governess. Stick with one ordinary life, and then progress from that. She doesn't have to be this super lady who holds a key to the universe.

Note: I'm plagiarizing myself from another forum that requires an account for reading posts.

I just want to add that it makes mores sense, in-story, for the Doctor to pick these "mysterious, special" people as his companions. A part of Eleven's story is that he feels so much responsibility and guilt for upending the lives of the normal people with whom he forms relationships. While I know some viewers don't appreciate that thread, the pieces were definitely there for the taking, and I think Moffat is more than justified in choosing to run with that theme. So with Eleven we have someone conflicted on taking on companions. But a girl in a large house with no parents and an other-worldly crack in her wall? There's already something going on. He can justify his desire to take on a traveling buddy, as it's part of his plan to investigate such strange happenings. But he went too far. He made a real connection, and instead of plopping her back into her life once the danger had passed, he kept her on. And then she lost her daughter and the ability to have any other children. And she lost her family again. And he lost her. So he's doubly resolved to live a life of seclusion and retirement, abandoning the behavior that, in his eyes, has caused so much ruin.

And then he meets Clara. And once again he can justify his behavior. She's already an aberration, so how much can he actually destroy? And this mystery came to him, he didn't search it out. If anything, she's coming and looking for him. Oswin, who upset the balance of the asylum, prompting the Daleks to reach out to their worst and most feared enemy. Clara, who piques his interest in the impossible snowman. She's pulling the Doctor in, absolving him of the responsibility of any future doom.

This all goes back to a major flaw in the Doctor, one that I think Moffat realizes and that I hope he's going to tackle head-on, which is the Doctor's inability to see the agency in his companions. The Doctor feels that he does things to people and that they have no say in the matter. He has to come to terms with the fact that his companions choose their lives, and he can't carry that responsibility around all the time. And no one's asking him to. He does it to himself. That may be the trajectory of Eleven and the realization that will drive his next incarnation.

supposebly

supposebly

Fanatic

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 4:25 PM

So with Eleven we have someone conflicted on taking on companions. But a girl in a large house with no parents and an other-worldly crack in her wall? There's already something going on. He can justify his desire to take on a traveling buddy,

It's an interesting thought but I think that would also mean that he completely forgot how Donna had already packed her bags in case she would run into him again. I forget when he noticed that it's rather odd that he would run into her and her gramps twice but it is not a completely new idea. Still, not much probably is with this show.

call me ishmael

call me ishmael

Couch Potato

Posted Jan 11, 2013 @ 8:52 PM

I believe it was during "The End of Time" when he realized that there was something significant about him always running into Wilfred. And of course, Wilfred became the person who knocked to signal the end of 10.

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jan 15, 2013 @ 9:15 AM

I watched that story over the Christmas again and I do love that little scene Eleven gets there. A precursor to the awesomeness of him for the next three years IMO.

kmg

kmg

Channel Surfer

Posted Apr 21, 2013 @ 7:39 AM

So, I am super late to the party here......

I hadn't ever watched Doctor Who before. I vaguely knew about it, and I remember all stories in the reboot in the media and who was cast as what, and I also remember hearing a bit of complaint about Matt Smith being too young when he was cast but that was about it.

The only episode I ever even caught a glimpse of was the one with the scary gas mask kids.

Anyway, I saw the Christmas episode fairly recently at a friend's house, and that got me hooked (I liked the idea of cannibal snowmen). I've now powered through almost all of MS' run as 11 and I am loving it. Of course, no series is perfect, and there are episodes I've not liked as much as others (and some plot lines that make my head hurt :) ) but I love MS as 11. He is more adorable than he has any right to be and really does manage to capture the world-weariness and age of the character.

Blue Castle

Blue Castle

Fanatic

Posted Apr 30, 2013 @ 2:46 PM

This is a completely shallow observation--but I wasn't loving the Doctor's new costume (I missed the absent-minded-professor-ness of the last one) until this last episode when he ditched the jacket. Man, did he look good in that shirt and vest.

And, I do like the idea that after Amy and Rory left he would have a new outfit that is a bit darker and less whimsical.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted May 2, 2013 @ 12:50 PM

I love the new coat. I think it's the longer length that does it for me but he did looking dashing in just his vest and shirt. I really love that 11 is the most stylish of the new Doctors. He has such flair and more of his personality is conveyed through his clothes than with 9 or 10.

cjl

cjl

Fanatic

Posted Jun 5, 2013 @ 8:27 AM

Two days since the announcement, and no tributes to MS and Eleven?  I'm shocked.

The Doctor is an amazingly rich and complicated character to play.   He's brilliant, ancient, alien, dedicated to the preservation of life, with a puckish sense of humor--and he's an eccentric, even by the standards of his own species.

Certain actors have embodied the various aspects of the Doctor better than others.  I think Tom Baker was probably the most "alien" of the Doctors, Tennant had the "mad genius" vibe, and Davison had the kindest hearts.  (YMMV.)

But Matt Smith brought something unique and refreshing to the role.  Even though he was the youngest man ever to play the part, he conveyed the "ancient" part of the character phenomenally well.   Yes, he did the dotty eccentric bits and the mile-a-minute-mind dialogue to perfection, but what made MS stand out was that I always believed I was watching a millennium-old creature walking around in a fresh, younger body. 

It was all little things, the body language, the way he mumbled certain bits of dialogue the way an old codger would do it.   There always seemed to be a bit more "sag" in his voice when he complained about his age, and I felt the weight of years whenever he felt tired and lost.  He's had the big, showy "I've seen too much!" scenes (like in "Rings of Akhaten"), but I loved the quiet scenes more, like when he sits by Little Amy's bedside in "Big Bang" and tells her to "remember the old Doctor."   (I swear, I'm tearing up just thinking about it.)

So it's no surprise that my favorite run of episodes in the Moffat era are the three episodes leading up to the Season Six finale:  "The Girl Who Waited," "The God Complex," and "Closing Time."   Here was something new for the series:  the Doctor was going to die at Lake Silencio, and we saw him start to let go of life, put his affairs in order, break his companions' hero worship of the great and powerful Doctor, because he is mortal and all mortals have to go sometime.   "Closing Time" was the saddest episode of the new series; he's fighting Original Recipe Cybermen, just like he did 50 years ago, and he wondered if it's all come round again, and if it's been worth the fight. 

When he sacrificed old Amy, broke Amy's faith in him in God Complex, when he talked to Stormy about life as a citizen of Earth, when he soaked in the death of the Brig, Matt broke my heart.   Even though he recovered his mojo (a little too quickly for my taste) in "Wedding of River Song," it was some of the most emotionally wrenching acting in the seven year run.

He's got two episodes to go.   Tennant and John Hurt in the anniversary special and then the regeneration.   Matt's going to bring it.   Stock up on Kleenex, folks.

Thanks, Matt.

Edited by cjl, Jun 5, 2013 @ 12:34 PM.

HauntedBathroom

HauntedBathroom

Fanatic

Posted Jun 6, 2013 @ 3:47 PM

Thanks, Matt.

Thanks indeed. Matt has been my favourite new series Doctor since around Time of Angels, but it wasn't until his departure was announced that I realised he'd become my favourite Doctor full stop. And I never thought that the mighty Truff would be toppled in my estimation, but Matt did it. He brought something new to the Doctor, someone who was human enough to jump out of a cake, but alien enough to not realise it's a bad idea to tell Rory about Amy jumping him in front of his friends. Someone who could be kind and ruthless without it seeming a contradiction. I'm going to miss you, Matt.

BuddhaBelly

BuddhaBelly

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 12:11 AM

I'm just sad. I'm hoping someone will come and say it's a giant joke because Eleven has been such a delight. I can't imagine anyone who will give the role the same sort of depth the way Matt has.

Cynic

Cynic

Fanatic

Posted Jun 9, 2013 @ 4:00 AM

But Matt Smith brought something unique and refreshing to the role.  Even though he was the youngest man ever to play the part, he conveyed the "ancient" part of the character phenomenally well.   Yes, he did the dotty eccentric bits and the mile-a-minute-mind dialogue to perfection, but what made MS stand out was that I always believed I was watching a millennium-old creature walking around in a fresh, younger body. 

This. Matt Smith's Doctor has an amazing blend of childlike wonder and ancient weariness and a chameleon-like ability to switch between the two. He really does read older than Eccleston and Tennant most of the time, despite his goofier antics and baby face. I loved both Nine and Ten, but Eleven started winning me over during that little scene in Vampires of Venice when he had his confrontation with Helen McCrory in the throne room. Not only did he hold his own against her (and generated not a little heat), but he managed to really feel like he had dropped all the facade and was showing the tired elder statesman that he truly was. By the time he wearily admonished River, Amy, and Rory to not ever think they were capable of playing games with him in The Impossible Astronaut, Eleven had become my Doctor. I adore him. And Matt Smith continues to impress me with his chops, the depth of his portrayal, his adeptness at physical humor, and his beautifully expressive face. It's hard for me to imagine now that when I first heard of his casting, I actually thought he was far too young and kinda funny looking. 

darkestboy

darkestboy

Stalker

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 6:53 AM

I'll miss Matt's Doctor but we've got two episodes left with him and I'm sure he'll leave on a high though.

RiverSong99

RiverSong99

Channel Surfer

Posted Jun 10, 2013 @ 5:23 PM

I'm just sad. I'm hoping someone will come and say it's a giant joke because Eleven has been such a delight. I can't imagine anyone who will give the role the same sort of depth the way Matt has.

Matt was the best. And I won't be watching the show after he leaves...especially with Clara being there!